******** YOUR PHILADELPHIA EAGLES ********

Comments

• JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Bamiro has to be better than KIng Dunlap. An interesting prospect.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    so many great memories as a kid going to camp at west chester and then later at lehigh. i understand why camp is at novacare but i'm just a traditionalist at heart. this just puts them further and further away from the fans.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Apparently the Chiefs have run zero running plays in their first two days of training camp. Hahaha

Only camp and they were dead last in passing last year, but that's still some funny stuff, especially considering what has been an ongoing discussion in here for years. Thought it was a joke at first.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Apparently the Chiefs have run zero running plays in their first two days of training camp. Hahaha

Only camp and they were dead last in passing last year, but that's still some funny stuff, especially considering what has been an ongoing discussion in here for years. Thought it was a joke at first.

Maybe they didn't have a running back like us.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

I wonder how his first few press conferences were :roll: :roll: . People need to let it go. That KC team is going to contend for a playoff spot and the AFC West this year.
    mcnabb is another story that needs to go away. the nfl offseason is the worst (even worse than the regular season)
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    The Fixer wrote:
    mcnabb is another story that needs to go away. the nfl offseason is the worst (even worse than the regular season)
    He won't let it go away. The dude can't stop putting his foot in his mouth.
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:
    He won't let it go away. The dude can't stop putting his foot in his mouth.

Neither will the media or the fans. I refuse to read any mcnabb related stories just on principle

The NFL offseason is about reporting arrests and beating non-stories into the ground. It's stupid
    He just did an interview with Paul Domowitch and Philly Mag. Dude lives on a diff planet.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171

can't wait to see how the fan base reacts when they realize chip Kelly is gonna throw the ball as much as reid did (especially since with a lousy defense it's gonna take 30 points a game to win games).
    always thought McNabb was very under appreciated as a player in this town but yea every time he opens his mouth now he comes off poorly. and I don't believe for one second that jim thome complained about the fans to mcnabb. Donovan might be delusional.
    pjhawks wrote:

can't wait to see how the fan base reacts when they realize chip Kelly is gonna throw the ball as much as reid did (especially since with a lousy defense it's gonna take 30 points a game to win games).
    When your behind you throw the ball. If Chip's losing badly then NO one will complain about passing to much. Chip's Off runs the ball 60-65% from his Oregon days I believe. I'd bet that Chip won't pass the ball at the end of games to kill the clock.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Your coach is a grown man who's name is "Chip". That is all
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Your 3rd baseman's contract makes Howards look good.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Not our 3rd baseman for long ;)
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Not our 3rd baseman for long ;)
    He's gonna fight that till the end.
    Go Birds!!!!
    He's gonna fight that till the end.

Oh yeah. It's not ending for a long time.

I'm out. I just needed to talk shit about the Eagles. It happens from time to time.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Nothing makes ryan howards' contract look good. You're wrong as usual

It may surprise no one that the 2013 Philadelphia Phillies are not where they hoped to be in the win-loss column. After a disappointing 81-81 record in 2012, the worst finish for the Phillies in a decade, the hope was that even a past-prime dynasty could retool enough to squeeze another few solid seasons on the backs of an aging core. The team's TV contract with Comcast expires after the 2015 season, so the front office had an obvious incentive to keep the team together in the hope of cash practically falling out of the sky, as the Los Angeles Dodgers have experienced with their new TV contract.

Alas, it was not meant to be. The Phillies have continued their downward trajectory, and though they're only a few games behind the Washington Nationals, that's mainly because Washington has underperformed expectations, not due to any second wind similar to the one the Boston Red Sox are experiencing this season.

In the middle of a second frustrating season, it's not surprising to see fingers being pointed. Most notable among them has been team general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. calling out Ryan Howard's performance, telling 94 WIP in Philadelphia in a pregame show last week that "if Howard is now relegated to being a platoon player, he's a very expensive platoon player and needs to do better … right now, he's just not doing his job."

Given Howard's .266/.319/.465 line this season with typically mediocre defense, it would take some special delusion to think that he's been doing his job, but how much blame can we really put on Howard? How much was Howard really underperforming reasonable expectations before the recent news that he'll miss six to eight weeks with a meniscus tear?

To get a feel for this, I went back and asked the ZiPS projection system to project Howard's 2013 season from the point his five-year, $125 million contract was signed in April 2010 and before each successive season, with knowledge included of the large drop off in run scoring across both leagues (Howard can hardly be faulted for that).

Cheer up, Alex. Your crazy contract isn't as bad as Ryan Howard's.
    Despite coming off a solid offensive season in 2009 (.279/.360/.571, OPS+ of 141), ZiPS was not optimistic at the time. ZiPS doesn't project a lumbering slugger the same way it projects a speedy middle infielder, using large groups of similar-type players in history to make an estimate. Howard's top comps are not a pretty group -- Carlos Pena, Richie Sexson, Greg Luzinski, Jim Gentile, Mo Vaughn and Cecil Fielder were the top six on the list -- and these are all players who aged poorly. The Howard deal started for his age-32 season and none of those six sluggers had a 3-WAR season at any point at age 32 or later.

The top six comps being flops in their 30s was no fluke, either. If you look at the top 15 comps, only Jim Thome was a star in his 30s. Otherwise, it's an encyclopedia of short-career sluggers, from Rudy York to Dick Stuart to Greg Vaughn.

In a 2013 Philadelphia environment, ZiPS projected Howard's 2013 season at .243/.333/.487 when his deal was signed, a little less batting average and a little more power than his current line, but not a dramatic difference and certainly not super-stardom. Before the 2011 season, the 2013 projection had dropped to .241/.325/.472; fast-forward another year and his 2013 projection was .246/.328/.476; and before this season, he was projected to hit .242/.325/.463.

In other words, Howard's 2013 performance is not a nasty surprise, but exactly what you would expect from a one-dimensional slugger in his early 30s in the middle of a normal decline phase for a player of his type.

At this point, ZiPS projects the contract to be essentially a total loss for the Phillies, with Howard only projected at 5.0 total WAR over the course of the contract (and assuming the $10 million buyout is taken for the final year). That's equivalent to a $94 million loss, a worse projected return than even the A-Rod contract, a deal that the Yankees find daily reason to regret, which ZiPS projects as an $88 million loss. (For the record: ZiPS still holds out some hope for Albert Pujols, projecting his contract as only a $90 million loss.)

If the Phillies are going to do in 2014 what the Red Sox have done in 2013 and have their own renaissance, it's going to require a drastic change in organizational thinking -- and it's going to require plenty of cash. If such a change is to happen, moving on from the executive who got the Phillies into this position -- and continues to not show an understanding of either the position the Phillies are in or how they arrived there -- is a good place to start. If the Howard injury doesn't give the Phillies a ready-made PR excuse to start selling, something's rotten in the city of Philadelphia.
    Head meet wall and repeat :roll:
    Go Birds!!!!
    No Ryan Howard contract talk in here please.

The Eagles have sold out tix for the practice on Sunday 55,000 :shock: Lehigh, Lewho?
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:

The Eagles have sold out tix for the practice on Sunday 55,000 :shock: Lehigh, Lewho?
    It was brought up in a normal convo and joked about. But of course someone not involved in the convo, started YET again with insults. :nono:
    Go Birds!!!!
    JK_Livin wrote:

It was brought up in a normal convo and joked about. But of course someone not involved in the convo, started YET again with insults. :nono:

You can't give Fixer even a little crack to enter when discussing Howard. :D
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:

weren't they free tickets? either way nuts that 55,000 would go for a practice
    You can't give Fixer even a little crack to enter when discussing Howard.

Did you see the convo?
    Go Birds!!!!
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

weren't they free tickets? either way nuts that 55,000 would go for a practice

You are correct, they are free tix.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer

Did you see the convo?
    Yes I did. I understand.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:

Did you see the convo?
    Yes I did. I understand.
    I disagree alot with Pjhawks. But I don't insult the dude because i'm not 16.
    Go Birds!!!!
    i'll never understand why people care what people like mcbabb say all the time. he's a dopey guy, always has been. he really should have stepped away from the limelight for a couple years before jumping into broadcasting but...who cares?

horrible break for j mac yesterday. wasn't even touched. contract year. cost himself millions. fucking sucks.
    chinese-happy.jpg