THE LINE & "THE LIST"

Mamasan BrenMamasan Bren Posts: 959
edited December 2013 in The Porch
It seems like a ton of fans who are doing Wrigley are already going crazy with anticipation and excitement, and I'm certainly one of them. I know a lot of fans plan to wait in line early in hopes of securing a good spot in the outfield grass GA section, if not even a coveted spot on the rail. It's no secret that this show will have fans coming out in the early a.m. hours to grab a great spot in line. What I am wondering is, what is everyone's opinion on the using of "The list"? I just have a feeling that tempers are going to flare with this "The list" thing. Let's face it, it's a lot of uncomfortable hard work to just sit there all day on a cement sidewalk in the hot sun. And if you couple that with the usual soaring hot sweaty humidity in Chicago in mid-July, things could get ugly. I understand the basic premise of "The list". My fear is that it becomes a constitution for those to abuse its intention. I've already read comments on Facebook of those praising a self-appointed gatekeeper/list-holder for implementing it so that they can go attend the pre-parties at Sluggers, and elsewhere. I get that it's a sticky situation. On the one hand, we're human, and we need to use the bathroom after so many hours. So, you leave to do that and you come right back, and that's all fine and good. However, with no real policing of that, people are prone to abuse it. I just feel for Joe and Jenny Pearl Jam that really truly put in their wait time all day on the sidewalk. I admire their devotion and applaud it. But if you are one of them who gets there early and are put in as #23 on the list, how is it that by the time the gates are open, they really end up being the 151st person allowed in? Cronyism and friends of fans and cliques always seem to take over at these things. We've all seen it. People who come and touch the wall and say that they are on the spot and place their name on the list, only to spend their day off doing lunch and whatever else they please, don't deserve to have their spot saved. If only there were a rule that after 2 pm if you leave the line, you go to the end of the line or something like that. Now, I realize that won't fly, but something like that would only be fair. Leave your spot, lose your spot. You know damn well there are going to be a ton of people trying to join their spots in the line around 3-5 p.m. based on "The list". You'll have people there from 6 a.m. (or even earlier) to 5:30 p.m. who put in close to a full 11 hours of actual waiting. Then you'll have those that plop their name down onto "The list" who if you actually clocked their time, wait only a couple of hours. I think if you are morally sound with your scruples, you would agree that waiting out, should (now follow me here, I know this is crazy) actually mean waiting out in line. "The list" seems to be an excuse for those to have windows of times where they can leave and do whatever they want to do, seeing friends at pre-parties, lounging around with a long lunch, etc. The front of these lines always just balloon as the day goes on. You know they do. People say they're "with" friends/others and before you know it, those that actually put in the time are continually pushed backward. Atop this, people seem to feel entitled to do this due to their PJ resumes of being true fans and banking tons of shows under their belts. Who gives anyone the right to become "The list" keeper? It's a city, a stadium, and a rock n roll show. And you're at some point going to read off names from "The list" and shuffle in people who've been aloof all day, all because they came and touched the wall in the early a.m. or whenever? Touching the wall and then running off, does not mean you should deserve a saved spot. I realize it's a tough situation. I am just wondering what everyone thinks? This is a much different beast than Missoula. With Missoula, it was quite a walk to get back to the Press Box pre-party. With Wrigley, there are bars and restaurants all around the park. I really wish there was a safe secure solution to this. If you leave, you should be back within five minutes to be fair I think. Any longer than that and it's just abusing it for those that are putting in the devoted time. People can get awfully worked up in the sweaty heat, and I can understand their getting upset as this "The list" practice screws them over from their devoted attempt at an up-close spot for a show that means a lot to their lives. I'd hate to see this upcoming situation get ugly, but I already fear that it has the makings of a big problem. (And I hope viewpoints in this thread stay respectful too.)
1/95 DC 7/95 Chicago Tor Tol Cha 96 AlpV I II Chi St L KC 98 BSB I II 99 Phx Vegas Fresno SBern 00 BSB I II 01 (met ed) Vegas Phx Fargo St. Paul Chicago Alpine V Indy Col Virg Phi I II MSG I II (got on DVD!) 03 Calg 05 Clev Vegas LA I II SBar 06 Lon Dus Cop Nij Bel 07 Phi I II DC MSG I II Har BOS I II 08, LA3/4, SD '09, MSG I II '10, Missoula, London ONT, Wrigley, SD, LA1/2, Portland. Wrigley '16 I and II. 
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    Come again?
  • Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    It seems like a ton of fans who are doing Wrigley are already going crazy with anticipation and excitement, and I'm certainly one of them. I know a lot of fans plan to wait in line early in hopes of securing a good spot in the outfield grass GA section, if not even a coveted spot on the rail. It's no secret that this show will have fans coming out in the early a.m. hours to grab a great spot in line. What I am wondering is, what is everyone's opinion on the using of "The list"? I just have a feeling that tempers are going to flare with this "The list" thing. Let's face it, it's a lot of uncomfortable hard work to just sit there all day on a cement sidewalk in the hot sun. And if you couple that with the usual soaring hot sweaty humidity in Chicago in mid-July, things could get ugly. I understand the basic premise of "The list". My fear is that it becomes a constitution for those to abuse its intention. I've already read comments on Facebook of those praising a self-appointed gatekeeper/list-holder for implementing it so that they can go attend the pre-parties at Sluggers, and elsewhere. I get that it's a sticky situation. On the one hand, we're human, and we need to use the bathroom after so many hours. So, you leave to do that and you come right back, and that's all fine and good. However, with no real policing of that, people are prone to abuse it. I just feel for Joe and Jenny Pearl Jam that really truly put in their wait time all day on the sidewalk. I admire their devotion and applaud it. But if you are one of them who gets there early and are put in as #23 on the list, how is it that by the time the gates are open, they really end up being the 151st person allowed in? Cronyism and friends of fans and cliques always seem to take over at these things. We've all seen it. People who come and touch the wall and say that they are on the spot and place their name on the list, only to spend their day off doing lunch and whatever else they please, don't deserve to have their spot saved. If only there were a rule that after 2 pm if you leave the line, you go to the end of the line or something like that. Now, I realize that won't fly, but something like that would only be fair. Leave your spot, lose your spot. You know damn well there are going to be a ton of people trying to join their spots in the line around 3-5 p.m. based on "The list". You'll have people there from 6 a.m. (or even earlier) to 5:30 p.m. who put in close to a full 11 hours of actual waiting. Then you'll have those that plop their name down onto "The list" who if you actually clocked their time, wait only a couple of hours. I think if you are morally sound with your scruples, you would agree that waiting out, should (now follow me here, I know this is crazy) actually mean waiting out in line. "The list" seems to be an excuse for those to have windows of times where they can leave and do whatever they want to do, seeing friends at pre-parties, lounging around with a long lunch, etc. The front of these lines always just balloon as the day goes on. You know they do. People say they're "with" friends/others and before you know it, those that actually put in the time are continually pushed backward. Atop this, people seem to feel entitled to do this due to their PJ resumes of being true fans and banking tons of shows under their belts. Who gives anyone the right to become "The list" keeper? It's a city, a stadium, and a rock n roll show. And you're at some point going to read off names from "The list" and shuffle in people who've been aloof all day, all because they came and touched the wall in the early a.m. or whenever? Touching the wall and then running off, does not mean you should deserve a saved spot. I realize it's a tough situation. I am just wondering what everyone thinks? This is a much different beast than Missoula. With Missoula, it was quite a walk to get back to the Press Box pre-party. With Wrigley, there are bars and restaurants all around the park. I really wish there was a safe secure solution to this. If you leave, you should be back within five minutes to be fair I think. Any longer than that and it's just abusing it for those that are putting in the devoted time. People can get awfully worked up in the sweaty heat, and I can understand their getting upset as this "The list" practice screws them over from their devoted attempt at an up-close spot for a show that means a lot to their lives. I'd hate to see this upcoming situation get ugly, but I already fear that it has the makings of a big problem. (And I hope viewpoints in this thread stay respectful too.)

There is no chance in hell I'm reading this. Anyone want to summarize?
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Summary: what do folks feel about a list for GA. Example: person A gets in line at 5:00 am. Then tells person B, "hold my spot, I want to eat and go potty". Comes back two hours later to their same spot.

This, opposed to people getting in line early and staying put and getting pissed at people who leave and come back.

NOTE: I only read about 1/3 of the OP. I don't have GA so I didn't have to read it all. I may be wrong, but I think I got the idea
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • InsideManInsideMan Posts: 261
    Does it really matter? I mean, you're in GA. You're in front of thousands of other people. The view is going to be outstanding no matter where you stand in this area. You are with awesome ten clubbers who I seriously doubt will act like general public fans at festivals. Enjoy the entire experience. Don't worry about all of this logistics nonsense. Everything is going to be fine!
    2009: Philly 3 & 4
    2010: Newark, MSG I
    2011: EV Philly
    2012: Philly MIA
    2013: Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Philly 1 & 2, Baltimore
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    From my experience... Lists tend to bring out the Nazi in otherwise sane people. The person who creates the list turns into fucking Adoph Listler and puts down their friends names on the list. You may count 55 people ahead of you 2 hours before the doors open, but 20 minutes before they open, you are now 243rd in line.
    The best thing is to just get there... sit on the sidewalk and make friends with the people around you. If you have to get up an take a leak, the people around you will let you, just as you would let them. If you need to get up an walk around... cool, get up and walk around, stand in the shade for a bit, have a smoke... whatever.
    Anyway... from my personal experiences... the lists are for the control freak Nazis.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Cosmo wrote:
    From my experience... Lists tend to bring out the Nazi in otherwise sane people. The person who creates the list turns into fucking Adoph Listler and puts down their friends names on the list. You may count 55 people ahead of you 2 hours before the doors open, but 20 minutes before they open, you are now 243rd in line.
    The best thing is to just get there... sit on the sidewalk and make friends with the people around you. If you have to get up an take a leak, the people around you will let you, just as you would let them. If you need to get up an walk around... cool, get up and walk around, stand in the shade for a bit, have a smoke... whatever.
    Anyway... from my personal experiences... the lists are for the control freak Nazis.

Adolph Lister :lol::lol:
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Mamasan BrenMamasan Bren Posts: 959
    Adolph Listler! hahaha. I couldn't agree more, Cosmo. That's exactly what I've seen. The line balloons unfairly as the listers finally return from their day out of line and feel entitled for all to kiss their ass and make room for their return. A line should just be a line, no list, no cutters. I read a fan saying they planned to hit up each of the pre-parties because that's what "The list" was for.
    1/95 DC 7/95 Chicago Tor Tol Cha 96 AlpV I II Chi St L KC 98 BSB I II 99 Phx Vegas Fresno SBern 00 BSB I II 01 (met ed) Vegas Phx Fargo St. Paul Chicago Alpine V Indy Col Virg Phi I II MSG I II (got on DVD!) 03 Calg 05 Clev Vegas LA I II SBar 06 Lon Dus Cop Nij Bel 07 Phi I II DC MSG I II Har BOS I II 08, LA3/4, SD '09, MSG I II '10, Missoula, London ONT, Wrigley, SD, LA1/2, Portland. Wrigley '16 I and II. 
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Adolph Listler! hahaha. I couldn't agree more, Cosmo. That's exactly what I've seen. The line balloons unfairly as the listers finally return from their day out of line and feel entitled for all to kiss their ass and make room for their return. A line should just be a line, no list, no cutters. I read a fan saying they planned to hit up each of the pre-parties because that's what "The list" was for.
    In San Francisco in 2006, there was a gal that was all fucking freaked out because I was letting people in line use the shower in my hotel room up the street. I told her, she was welcome use the shower, too... the people I was turning the key over to, i had just met a couple of hours previously. i made arrangements with the maid to leave about 20 towels in the room... because, some of those people... very nice people... get, well... a little ripe sitting on the sidewalk for hours. I figured, i am going to be jammed up against them all night... a shower is a good thing.
    So, see... we're all pretty descent people to each other. We can get along pretty well... only if we want to.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • good luck having the list enforced..
  • JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    GA people are going to smell and have Sunburn.

Viva La section 400's!!!
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Isnt the GA line formation contingent upon getting the 10c tickets? In other words, this line can't really start until the 10c booth starts giving out tickets...

Typically they don't start until noon time at best. So I don't really see how a GA line can really form so early if people haven't even gotten their tickets yet. Feel free to correct me (as I know everyone will) but we seldom have GA in the US.
    2008 - 6/28, 6/30
    2009 - 8/21,10/30, 10/31
    2010 - 5/15, 5/17, 5/20, 5/21
    2011 - 9/3/11, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12, 9/14
    2012 - 9/2
    2013 - 7/19, 10/15, 10/16, 10/19, 10/25
    2014 - 6/16. 6/17, 6/20, 10/1

EV solo 8.1.08, 6.8.09, 6.15.11, 6.16.11
    good luck having the list enforced..

And yet somehow it will still make an appearance. If you show up in the morning to put your time in, and you notice you're the 23rd person in line,then when 5:30 rolls around, you really deserve to be the 23rd person let in. But more than that, if you put in an honest 10+hours of truly waiting in line, you deserve the nice spot you've earned for yourself inside. If you faked waiting in line, and took half-hour, hour, two-hour plus breaks, then you really don't deserve it and should be made to go to the end of the line. It's just like anything else in life: it takes hard to work to earn things that are worth it. Unfortunately "The list" is just a way to get out of the actual hard work that it takes in waiting on a hot sidewalk.
    Isnt the GA line formation contingent upon getting the 10c tickets? In other words, this line can't really start until the 10c booth starts giving out tickets...

Typically they don't start until noon time at best. So I don't really see how a GA line can really form so early if people haven't even gotten their tickets yet. Feel free to correct me (as I know everyone will) but we seldom have GA in the US.

Yeah, trust it, fans are going to be there lining up long before noon.
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Isnt the GA line formation contingent upon getting the 10c tickets? In other words, this line can't really start until the 10c booth starts giving out tickets...

When the ticket booth opens people will be able to leave and pick up their tix. In MT the ticket booth was at the front of the GA line.

Couldn't get through the whole OP. As far as GA goes in my experience I've never seen a 'list'. It should be okay for someone to leave to use the restroom, grab a bite to eat or even grab a beer. IMO though the person should be waiting in line the majority of the time. Pretty easy to see who's been waiting longer than you. If someone tries to step in and join them the gloves come off.

People need to make a choice: wait in line all day to get close to the stage or attend the parties.
    #FHP
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518

Yeah, trust it, fans are going to be there lining up long before noon.
    Line started at like 1am or 2am in MT.
    #FHP
  • Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    A list was used at the Borgata shows in 05.. It seemed to work well there, although the Borgata was a much smaller venue.. I believe a gentleman named Oscar was the keeper of the list, don't know why I remember his name...
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
    edited June 2013
    Horos wrote:

When the ticket booth opens people will be able to leave and pick up their tix. In MT the ticket booth was at the front of the GA line.

Couldn't get through the whole OP. As far as GA goes in my experience I've never seen a 'list'. It should be okay for someone to leave to use the restroom, grab a bite to eat or even grab a beer. IMO though the person should be waiting in line the majority of the time. Pretty easy to see who's been waiting longer than you. If someone tries to step in and join them the gloves come off.

People need to make a choice: wait in line all day to get close to the stage or attend the parties.

I respect your opinion. I have seen "The list". And I agree that people need to choose between waiting all day in line or attending the parties. I wonder if others feel that it's ok to grab a bite to eat or even grab a beer? I guess it's a fuzzy line at what point there's a cut off between putting in the time to wait, and being off eating and drinking. At what point does that become abusive of your saved spot? I don't agree that it's ok to be off to grab a bite and grab a beer. That would mean that you really aren't waiting in line, you're at the pre-party partying while others are actually waiting in line. It's that slippery slope: "Oh I'm just going to grab a "quick" bite to eat." and then, "It's not my fault there was a long ling for a slice of pizza, and the service took forever" while you're gone from the line for over an hour.
    Post edited by Mamasan Bren on
    Tom K wrote:
    A list was used at the Borgata shows in 05.. It seemed to work well there, although the Borgata was a much smaller venue.. I believe a gentleman named Oscar was the keeper of the list, don't know why I remember his name...

HAHA, really? Oscar? as in Schindler? Now that was a list I'd stand behind.
    Tom K wrote:

And what's the way that it "worked" there? It allowed people to be off doing whatever they want because they'd once stood in the spot, and then when it was high time to return, they slid back into their "listed" spot?
  • KimmiebyromKimmiebyrom Posts: 1,832
    It's simple, really.
    Those that bail don't get rail.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • PH20PH20 Posts: 466
    JB128716 wrote:

Viva La section 400's!!!

LOL!!!
    2006 - Marcus Ampitheater, Milwaukee
    2011 - Alpine Valley Ampitheater, East Troy
    2013 - Wrigley Field, Chicago
    2014 - Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul
    2014 - Bradley Center, Milwaukee
    2016 - Wrigley Field, Chicago
    2018 - Wrigley Field, Chicago 
    PH20 wrote:
    JB128716 wrote:

Viva La section 400's!!!

LOL!!!

There's no escaping the Chicago mid-summer humidity. You take a shower, dry off, walk outside and in seconds you're dripping with sweat. haha. And of course all fans have equal hat-wearing sunscreen opportunities, AND last I checked the 400s are as equally uncovered as the GA field are.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    ill be at GA..ill enter at 7:25 pm..5 min before show starts...

and im goona have a blast and rock my ass out..

we are a group of 35-40 friends -fans gonna be all in the back of GA....
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    edited June 2013
    ill be at GA..ill enter at 7:25 pm..5 min before show starts...

and im goona have a blast and rock my ass out..

we are a group of 35-40 friends -fans gonna be all in the back of GA....

"I'm by your side." I plan to do the exact same. I've been lucky enough to see them up close a few times. But what say you about the discussion at hand, Dimi? You always seem to have a fair-minded take on all issues of the day.
    Post edited by Mamasan Bren on
    Cosmo wrote:
    seriously dude,i dont know you,or ever met you,but i really believe your posts are the most smart comments in the forum...i hope i meet you one day,,will be an honor to shake your hand..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    Horos wrote:

This...

Also the professionals will get there the night before with their tents and sleeping bags :)

Well at least that's how it works in Europe :)

I am totally taking it easy this time around. I'll enjoy my time with my friends rather than sitting around under hot sun just because that will give me the opportunity to touch FRONTDUDE's leg :P

You should do it if you have never been rail before though ;)
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
    Cosmo wrote:
    seriously dude,i dont know you,or ever met you,but i really believe your posts are the most smart comments in the forum...i hope i meet you one day,,will be an honor to shake your hand..

COSMO IS AWESOME! Got the honor of meeting him couple of times. Man with a heart of gold. You should ask Marcia :)

#standingman #duranadam
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    Horos wrote:

This...

Also the professionals will get there the night before with their tents and sleeping bags :)

I am totally taking it easy this time around. I'll enjoy my time with my friends rather than sitting around under hot sun just because that will give me the opportunity to touch FRONTDUDE's leg :P

saw pj at the rail..5-6 times..its enough..now ill party all day and go in the back..
    Yep, I'm the same. I've had the joy of being right up front and all that that entails with guitar pics, drumsticks and tambourines. I just feel bad for those that are going to come down early to wait all day with the dream of the same, but aren't going to see it come to being due to the possible abuses of "The list". This Wrigley show really is a unique opportunity in the US for up-close and rail dreams. In London, all can come anytime they please as all will have their assigned seat ticket. The opportunity happens with festivals as a bunch got to experience last year in Philly and other places. The dates this fall will most likely not include GA, minus New Orleans.
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    Horos wrote:

This...

saw pj at the rail..5-6 times..its enough..now ill party all day and go in th
    e back..

You better party with me this time around :P

#standingman #duranadam