Matt Cameron #17, Dave Grohl #1, Is that right?

Jstein1978Jstein1978 Posts: 548
edited May 2013 in The Porch
I'm not a drum expert at all, hell, Keith Moon was pretty good, probably the best......but is Matt Cameron that far behind Dave Grohl?

http://www.spin.com/articles/best-drumm ... ive-music/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    Dave Grohl is an average fucking drummer.

Why do people overrate this dude?
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    Dave Grohl is an average fucking drummer.

Why do people overrate this dude?

so is matt cameron......... in pearl jam.

he clearly deserves more nods with soundgarden work.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,724
    Jstein1978 wrote:
    I'm not a drum expert at all, hell, Keith Moon was pretty good, probably the best......but is Matt Cameron that far behind Dave Grohl?

Well first off it's a list of alternative drummers...not all rock drummers. That's why guys like Moon and Bonham aren't on it. As for the list, Matt's way better than Dave. And that's not a knock on Dave because Dave's great. But you can't say Dave was better in Nirvana than Matt was in Soundgarden. If for no other reason, Soundgarden's songs are (for the most part) more complex arrangements. Anyway, Dave's just #1 on the list because of his name.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • I agree the Matt has better foot and hand work with Soundgarden.

PS these stupid "best of" polls mean nothing.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    PS these stupid "best of" polls mean nothing.

They mean clicks for the rag that's putting them up ... the more controversial the list, the more it's linked and shared.

Pure marketing ... zero "journalism".
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • shepshep Houston Posts: 5,647
    Jstein1978 wrote:

pfft... what a useless article...

just give me a list... not a series of flash slides that fuck up every time i click next...

the only good thing to ever come out of spin was Chuck Klosterman.

oh, and for the record - I didn't see a picture of Dany Carey anywhere, so the list is clearly incorrect.
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I didn't really take it as a countdown. They got all the names I expected to see, but I agree it was really outta whack if it was supposed to be taken as a countdown. Particularly stoked to see Jack Irons and nice to see a nod to the fact that MC has never really gotten the tribal groovy stuff from Irons down real well, outside the board. Shows that they did at least a little research.

Dave Grohl is a pretty great drummer. Not top of the heap, but definitely deserving of a spot here. His work with Them Crooked Vultures really sold me. Anybody that can hang with John Paul Jones earns some respect in my book. Some great restraint and a little more technical flash than I was ever accustomed to with him.

Danny Carey was there in the last 20 or so.
  • mattdinglemattdingle Posts: 180
    Dave Grohl prob sell's more magazines . Therefore more money for Spin ? Make sense ?
    Anything else ? :corn:
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,136
    It's a list. You know MC is #1 in your heart! Dave Grohl is a beast and will always be one of the greatest drummers from the 90s.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • MASMAS Posts: 628
    its because he's too fast :lol:
  • smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    I'm a drummer.

Dave Grohl is an amazing drummer. Not the best in the world, and his songs in nirvana don't prove much. Listen to foo fighters second album, where he played drums as well as guitar and sing (like the 1st album) and the drum beats on ever long, my hero, and monkey wrench are insanely hard. Don't believe me try them yourself.

Now, I prefer Matt Cameron over Dave A. That's today. For the first 15 years I was a huge Dave A fan. Technically Dave A KILLS Matt and jack.

I personally prefer Matt, like I said, but Dave is a studio beast who can play any sheet of music given to him. his rolls on the hi hats and ride as well as the accents off of the floor tons and bass drum as well as using splashes and Chinese cymbals... He knows how to play. Listen to why go, alive and deep from ten. Then listen from the oceans single (live from 6-8-92) and you can clearly see Dave is much better than the original drummer.

With that being said i doubt pj would be still a band nor have many of the songs they do now with Dave A. But compared to Matt, or jack, by a technical standpoint, Dave destroys Matt.

And, I'm basing this off of pearl jam, not sound garden.
  • AAJCAAJC Calgary, AB, Canada Posts: 262
    Pretty cool, my friend is #50 (Orestes). Right on. I saw his old band (Bitch Magnet) at Neumos in Seattle recently and Mark Arm got up on stage. I didn't see Ed at the show, but it was dark and there was someone that looked a lot like him walking around who left abruptly at one point before Mark showed. Weird. ha.