Options

Greatest hits band..

2»

Comments

• Options
    Yes I agree. Open up with GARDEN at wrigley!
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    I believe they have definitely had some setlists over their careers that could be considered Greatest Hits sets, but to say they are dialing it in now with greatest hits setlists night after night is just absurd.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    I consider greatest hits what the band considered greatest hits....the rearviewmirror double album.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    I consider greatest hits what the band considered greatest hits....the rearviewmirror double album.

The one where they included Man Of The Hour and Save You but left off Glorified G and Why Go?
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Haha yeah...crazy shit. I never understood that greatest hits record...
  • Options
    rare 1 (râr)
    adj. rar·er, rar·est
    1. Infrequently occurring; uncommon: a rare event; a plant that is rare in this region.
    2. Excellent; extraordinary: a rare sense of honor.
    3. Thin in density: rarefied: rare air.

hence the songs for the hardcore fan are played infrequently. It keeps them special. Also I have been to about 20 shows --- but the people i bring along with me haven't - sure i want to see something i haven't seen, but i also want them to see things.
    I can still remember how amazing Daughter or Small Town or Betterman felt the first time seeing them live. Everyone should get to feel that.
    and by the way - it still feels pretty good to hear all you fuckers singing these classics.
  • Options
    Haha yeah I'd have to agree with that. Watching my girlfriend sing small town makes me feel incredible...
  • Options
    smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    Here's how I feel.

Yes, the band does a great job switching it up.

They switch it up more than any other band.

I also agree if they left out "hits" that normal fans would be disappointed.

Seeing 16 shows since 08, and 29 shows total since 2000, I'll say yes I am a little tired of certain songs live.
    Specifically
    Dte
    Small town
    Fixer

But, I don't mind other hits that I like. Therefore I don't get upset when I heat Dte, because I know when I hear these songs I enjoy them so, I try a see both sides.
    Corduroy
    Even flow
    Alive.

But now let's ask our selves, what makes those unique shows from the past stand out today? It's honestly not a setlist full of rate songs, like Newark 2010. Even with all those rare songs its not considered an all time favorite. But the night before, Boston 2010, is considered. It's not full of rare songs, actually a lot of hits. But it's the certain songs that are hardly ever played that makes it such a great show.

Here is a 30 song set. Including hits, covers and all the usual. But I also filled it out with songs we love that are never played enough. Tell me if this would be a good compromise.

Set:

Yellow Ledbetter
    Animal
    Hail hail
    Deep
    Corduroy
    I am Mine
    In my tree
    Even flow
    Small town
    Inside job
    Present Tense
    Who You Are
    Do the Evolution
    Once
    Blood
    Why go
    Porch

Enc 1
    Man of the hour
    Nothin man
    Better man
    Black
    Crazy Mary
    Alive

Enc 2
    Got some
    Habit
    Smile
    Around the Bend
    Rocking in the free world

Enc 3
    Indifference
    Baba O Riley

Right there, off the top of my head, is a 30 song set, filled with hits but also including not rare songs but Songs we never hear anymore. I could make another different 30 song set as well.

I believe the point the op is making is the same as I did. Nothin wrong with the radio hits but switch it up sometimes to make everyone online go crazy. All they had to do was play even flow second in South America and every one was like what??!! Whoa!!

Here's another set for example

Oceans
    Breath
    Given to fly
    Go
    Last exit
    Unthought known
    Daughter
    Jeremy
    All those yesterday's
    Garden
    Half full
    Wma
    Spin the black circle
    Wish list
    No way
    In hiding
    Rearviewmirror

Enc 1
    Sometimes
    Slow lukin
    Faithful
    Alive
    Brain of j
    Dissident
    Even flow

Enc 2
    Release
    You are
    Nothing as it seems
    Parting ways
    All along the watchtower
  • Options
    If there was one band that you could never call a 'greatest hits band' it is Pearl Jam :wtf:
  • Options
    Nobody gets the point, point taken.
  • Options
    smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    Nobody gets the point, point taken.

I just replied and supported your thread. Even gave two setlists to support what your saying. Guess I wasted my time.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,792
    If there was one band that you could never call a 'greatest hits band' it is Pearl Jam :wtf:

Yep. Most bands play the same boring ass set every night. PJ switches it up all the time and it still isn't good enough. :fp:
  • Options

Yep. Most bands play the same boring ass set every night. PJ switches it up all the time and it still isn't good enough. :fp:

Not just that but they bring a new album out every few years and tour it. A lot of other bands that have been around for the same length of time just sit back, do nothing for years and then just play the 'hits' when they finally do decide to tour. PJ stay relevant with their fans because they are always moving forward.

Sometimes I think people expect far too much from PJ (not bashing the OP here)
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,666
    i have no problems with Greatest Hits shows as long as they're not phoning it in. I've said it before--- some of the rare B-sides shows i've been to have been sloppy and disjointed. Some of the greatest hits shows have been the most powerful.

Again, "Jeremy" played with intensity is way more goosebump inducing than hearing them trying to remember "Push Me Pull Me" .
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,650
    cp3iverson wrote:
    Again, "Jeremy" played with intensity is way more goosebump inducing than hearing them trying to remember "Push Me Pull Me" .

True.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,650
    BinFrog wrote:
    The one where they included Man Of The Hour and Save You but left off Glorified G and Why Go?
    Well, they were released as singles.

If Glorified G/Why Go got more radioplay etc than Save You/MOTH I don't know...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    I wish they would switch it up a little bit by including more No Code/Yield/Binaural at some of their shows. Those albums are consistently ignored and when songs from them do pop up, it's generally the same ones (Hail Hail, Evolution, Given to Fly, Wishlist) and even some more/different Lost Dogs more frequently as well. Hey, doesn't Stone just want to play the hits? :lol:
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    Every once in awhile we get a show/setlist that is vintage pearl jam, meaning so creative and fresh. But for the most part, I consider them a greatest hits band and it is a shame. I have seen this band 19 times over 14 years. From the years 2000 to 2009, set lists were incredible. Not so much anymore...Maybe this band has too many perfect songs, I don't know, but I believe, for the most part, the unique setlists days are few and far between.

Compared to other bands, Pearl Jam have perfect setlists.

Although I love PJ, RHCP is my favorite band and I am also a regular on their site. RHCP sets are legit hit singles and us fans rarely enjoy non-singles and songs off all the albums.

PJ have great setlists in my opinion, even today still.
    ~Carter~

You can spend your time alone, redigesting past regrets, oh
    or you can come to terms and realize
    you're the only one who can't forgive yourself, oh
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense
    - Present Tense