Options

Greatest hits band..

Indifference152Indifference152 Posts: 305
edited April 2013 in The Porch
Every once in awhile we get a show/setlist that is vintage pearl jam, meaning so creative and fresh. But for the most part, I consider them a greatest hits band and it is a shame. I have seen this band 19 times over 14 years. From the years 2000 to 2009, set lists were incredible. Not so much anymore...Maybe this band has too many perfect songs, I don't know, but I believe, for the most part, the unique setlists days are few and far between.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    For last Year's Euro tour they pulled out All Those Yesterday's, Bugs, Push Me Pull Me, Better Things, among others that aren't on the top of my head. They busted out Ghost in Missoula. 2nd set Oceans in Porto Alegre in 2011, WMA in Philly. I hear what you are saying. Some of the Euro shows setlists were unique and exciting!
    Run for it, Marty.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,641
    Every once in awhile we get a show/setlist that is vintage pearl jam, meaning so creative and fresh. But for the most part, I consider them a greatest hits band and it is a shame. I have seen this band 19 times over 14 years. From the years 2000 to 2009, set lists were incredible. Not so much anymore...Maybe this band has too many perfect songs, I don't know, but I believe, for the most part, the unique setlists days are few and far between.
    Don't see how the 2000 setlists were more inspired than the European 2012 setlists?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,058
    09/30/12: Adams Events Center, Missoula, MT, USA
    opening act: Mudhoney
    main set: Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town, Corduroy, Do the Evolution, Got Some, Given to Fly, Amongst the Waves, Severed Hand, Unthought Known, Not for You, State of Love and Trust, Jeremy, Ghost, Daughter(/Blitzkrieg Bop), Know Your Rights, Comatose, Why Go
    first encore: Last Kiss, Off He Goes, Low Light, Man of the Hour, Nothing Man, Better Man(/Save it for Later)
    second encore: Wasted Reprise, Life Wasted, Fortunate Son, Alive, Kick out the Jams, Rockin’ in the Free World, Indifference

5 hits out of 29 songs? the hits in my opinion are: jeremy, daughter, last kiss, better man, alive
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    5 hits out of 29 songs? the hits in my opinion are: jeremy, daughter, last kiss, better man, alive

By your account, Rearviewmirror could have never been released.

Do The Evolution, for exampple, is ofc by Pearl Jam standard one of their greatest hits.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Festival show:
    09/21/12: Deluna Music Festival, Pensicola Beach, Pensicola, FL, USA
    main set: Oceans, Interstellar Overdrive -> Corduroy, Got Some, Once, Given To Fly, Amongst the Waves, Grievance, Even FLow, World Wid Suicide, The Fixer, Daughter/(It’s OK), Of The Earth, Elderly Woman …, Parachutes, Unthought Known, Do The Evolution, Porch
    encore: Better Man(/Save It For Later), Lukin, Alive, Baba O’Riley, Yellow Ledbetter

6 hits: evenflow, daughter, porch, betterman, alive, baba, yellow

interstellar overdrive, parachutes, lukin, amongst the waves are hits?
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,887
    When I saw them in 2010 over 6 shows, I think I saw over 100 unique songs. Never counted up 2011 or 2012, but that's not too bad. And there are a lot of casual fans at their shows.Way more than the die hards.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    Festival show:
    main set: Oceans, Interstellar Overdrive -> Corduroy, Got Some, Once, Given To Fly, Amongst the Waves, Grievance, Even FLow, World Wid Suicide, The Fixer, Daughter/(It’s OK), Of The Earth, Elderly Woman …, Parachutes, Unthought Known, Do The Evolution, Porch
    encore: Better Man(/Save It For Later), Lukin, Alive, Baba O’Riley, Yellow Ledbetter

You argument is flawed as fuck. There are other songs than your listed 6 hits and Amongst the Waves.

Corduroy, Given To Fly, WWS, The Fixer, Daughter, Small Town, Do The Evolution could ofc be considered as hits by Pearl Jam standards.

You should read the first post again.

(But I'm not saying I do not like any of those songs)
  • Options
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    Festival show:

Corduroy, GTF, Fixer, Small Town, DTE, and maybe even Unthought all could be considered hits as well.
  • Options
    I knew most wouldn't agree or even get my opinion. I'm simply saying they have so many more songs they could play rather than...evolution, given to fly, small town, wws, daughter, got some, fixer, betterman....stuff like that. I'm not saying retire them because they are great live tunes, just switch it up a little. All im trying to say here..
  • Options
    a hit to me is a song that every one knows...a radio hit. so i don't think it's flawed as a fuck, merely an opinion. my buddy brought is girlfirend to the msg shows in 2010...she knew the radio hits. not dte, rvm, etc. those songs like unthought knows etc are definitely hits in pearl jam fans eyes but not to the general public.
    what is a "hit" to all of us? is it just a really good song or a song that was waaay overplayed on the radio that everyone could sing at a campfire?
  • Options
    I knew most wouldn't agree or even get my opinion. I'm simply saying they have so many more songs they could play rather than...evolution, given to fly, small town, wws, daughter, got some, fixer, betterman....stuff like that. I'm not saying retire them because they are great live tunes, just switch it up a little. All im trying to say here..
    And I'm saying they weren't more diverse in 1998, 2000 or 2003.

Them playing alot of Yield/Binaural/Riot Act songs in 1998/2000/2003 (and those songs being loved nowadays) are not different from them playing Backspacer songs now (quality of the songs aside).

Or, am I wrong?
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    this band is so far from a greatest hits band. ignoring festivals, their setlists have been consistently excellent
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    I see your point and for you, me, or a lot of people on this board, that would be great. But a lot of people at their shows are the casual fan who is only going to 1 or maybe 2 shows and want to see those songs.
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    my take on this is that what he may be trying to say is that there are too many of the same songs always being played from a group of songs and that includes the hits. if you go to 4 shows in a week you might see a number of songs 3 or 4 times. yes there will be different songs thrown in and the odd rarity from time to time but really most shows are from a base of songs with others thrown in.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    a hit to me is a song that every one knows...a radio hit. so i don't think it's flawed as a fuck, merely an opinion. my buddy brought is girlfirend to the msg shows in 2010...she knew the radio hits. not dte, rvm, etc. those songs like unthought knows etc are definitely hits in pearl jam fans eyes but not to the general public.
    what is a "hit" to all of us? is it just a really good song or a song that was waaay overplayed on the radio that everyone could sing at a campfire?
    But the semantics regarding what makes a hit or not is irrelevant.
    Widen your view and try to get what the TS is going after instead.

As stated by me before: Rearviewmirror (Greatest Hits 1991–2003)

You should file a lawsuit against them/Epic for putting out a Greatest Hits album (consisting of the greatest hits by the bands standard) and make PJ put out an EP with only "the hits" by your standards then instead...

It's abvious what the TS mean. So discuss that instead of going into semantics regarding if GTF is an universal hit or not (by Pearl Jam standards it is a hit). Pearl Jam has a base of songs that are pretty much always played, and they are played to include the "casual fan" or the "casual concert goer".
  • Options
    well, if someone considers 80% of their songs to be hits, then I suppose that would be correct.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    I believe the thread title is greatest hits so sorry for having an opinion on the matter of what constitutes a greatest hit. If the title were, pearl jam has too many songs that are repeated or pj needs to broaden their song base during shows......I m not even going to argue. I will broaden my view and file a law suit in the upcoming hour.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    But the semantics regarding what makes a hit or not is irrelevant.
    Widen your view and try to get what the TS is going after instead.

As stated by me before: Rearviewmirror (Greatest Hits 1991–2003)

You should file a lawsuit against them/Epic for putting out a Greatest Hits album (consisting of the greatest hits by the bands standard) and make PJ put out an EP with only "the hits" by your standards then instead...

It's abvious what the TS mean. So discuss that instead of going into semantics regarding if GTF is an universal hit or not (by Pearl Jam standards it is a hit). Pearl Jam has a base of songs that are pretty much always played, and they are played to include the "casual fan" or the "casual concert goer".

:roll:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Thank you foodboy. Listen, they are the ones who set the standard. They set the bar high. I'm saying I think from here on out the shows will feature many of the same songs. I guess I'm not considering the casual fan...on the other hand, I don't think I we will see a festival setlist like bonaroo 2007 either.
  • Options
    look, I hear this so often about bands it's getting kind of tiresome. To me, ANY band that has been around for 20+ years has basically no CHOICE but to become a greatest hits band to a degree. I mean, they have so much material to play live, can you imagine how difficult it is to come up with a setlist that comprises maybe 20% of their total catalogue and keep 15,000 fans and themselves happy? So of COURSE they are going to play most of their hits, which is usually one or two songs per album at least. Ten as a WHOLE was a hit. So take 8 albums times 2 equals 16 songs right there. Then add all of Ten, which they don't ever do, now you have 26. So realistically, let's say they play half of Ten, so now we're left with 21. That's already more than most bands play in a set. So now that leaves anywhere between 5-9 songs left in the set that the band can cherry pick from their catalogue. Not to mention 2 or 3 covers that everyone expects. And those songs have to flow.

12,000 people would go home incredibly disappointed if they heard a Lost Dogs set. And the band respects their WHOLE audience too much to do that.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    YieldToNothingYieldToNothing Posts: 3,667
    not-sure-if-trolling-or-just-stupid.jpg
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Options
    Thank you foodboy. Listen, they are the ones who set the standard. They set the bar high. I'm saying I think from here on out the shows will feature many of the same songs. I guess I'm not considering the casual fan...on the other hand, I don't think I we will see a festival setlist like bonaroo 2007 either.

Bonnaroo was a GREAT show. 2nd set Release??
    Run for it, Marty.
  • Options
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    12,000 people would go home incredibly disappointed if they heard a Lost Dogs set. And the band respects their WHOLE audience too much to do that.

They should "No Code" their setlist and/or concert persona. Start from scratch, do a left turn, introduce an acoustic section or something :)

I want my next concert to be the "Who you are" of Pearl Jam concerts.
  • Options
    TamaDrummer91TamaDrummer91 VA Posts: 1,289
    Don't see how the 2000 setlists were more inspired than the European 2012 setlists?

+1

Thought about this not long ago as I was looking through 2000 setlists and thought they all looked more similar than I remember. :)
    2008: Bonnaroo
    2010: Bristow
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Charlottesville, Charlotte
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Greenville, Hampton, Raleigh (cancelled), Columbia, Lexington

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    look, I hear this so often about bands it's getting kind of tiresome. To me, ANY band that has been around for 20+ years has basically no CHOICE but to become a greatest hits band to a degree. I mean, they have so much material to play live, can you imagine how difficult it is to come up with a setlist that comprises maybe 20% of their total catalogue and keep 15,000 fans and themselves happy? So of COURSE they are going to play most of their hits, which is usually one or two songs per album at least. Ten as a WHOLE was a hit. So take 8 albums times 2 equals 16 songs right there. Then add all of Ten, which they don't ever do, now you have 26. So realistically, let's say they play half of Ten, so now we're left with 21. That's already more than most bands play in a set. So now that leaves anywhere between 5-9 songs left in the set that the band can cherry pick from their catalogue. Not to mention 2 or 3 covers that everyone expects. And those songs have to flow.

very well said. I think pj along with phish and dmb switch up their set lists incredibly well to appeal to a very diverse crowd. I don't think pj is a greatest hits band, I think of steve miller as a greatest hits band. every summer steve miller plays you get the same damn thing....I wonder how many times he's ended a show with the joker.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    I wonder how many times he's ended a show with the joker.
    More times than PJ have ended with YL? ;)
  • Options
    Totally missing the point...most of the people on this board right now are the reason this band is still playing music. Casual fans were gone in11996...think about it.
  • Options
    Totally missing the point...most of the people on this board right now are the reason this band is still playing music. Casual fans were gone in11996...think about it.

This board makes up a very small percentage of their fan base
  • Options

you can't be serious. so there's 10-15,000 people from each city on the planet on this board? :lol:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014