Options

Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio - New Pope

2»

Comments

• Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    jamburger wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    He's 76 ... Good to see they went with a youthful cardinal :lol::lol::lol::lol:

The CNN e-mail came in with this...

He is the first South American pope. Until last year, Bergoglio was the archbishop of Buenos Aires before stepping down because of his age. He is 76.

Too old to act as Archbishop, but not for Pope?!?!

That's how we Argentineans roll... :mrgreen: :corn:

I assumed the new Papal Retirement Plan they just enacted was just to good to pass up. Work for a few years and then... New condo, personal secretary/night nurse, new shoes, etc.
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    Nicolas Maduro, president in exercise of Venezuela, says that the late President Chavez influenced Jesus to pull some strings in the choosing of Bergoglio...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    norm wrote:
    pope francis' first words:

The name's Francis Soyer, but everybody calls me Psycho. Any of you guys call me Francis, and I'll kill you. And I don't like nobody touching my stuff. So just keep your meat-hooks off. If I catch any of you guys in my stuff, I'll kill you. Also, I don't like nobody touching me. Now, any of you homos touch me, and I'll kill you.
    Lighten up, Francis.

Lee Harvey, you are a madman!

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Oh man I adored Stripes (also loved seeing Sean Young in her sane days :P )

How come his name is Jorge but he's known as Francis? Is this just how the Papal thing works?
  • Options
    Thoughts ...

Kudos on picking someone outside of Europe

Disappointed the Canadian dude didn't get picked ... Not that I know his qualifications ... It's just the only thing I like more then Canadians is poking fun of Canadians ... Hosers, eh, take off

Nice to see a youthful pick.

Nice to see a pick that can't be associated with the Nazi party (side note: which country is associated with harboring Nazi war criminals???)

Kate Upton is hot

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die

That's it so far ...
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    tumblr_mjmch5LKyA1qzpwi0o1_500.jpg
  • Options
    I swear I thought that was Carl Reiner on the right.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    hedonist wrote:
    I swear I thought that was Carl Reiner on the right.

:lol::lol:
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    norm wrote:
    So the new pope is Hank Kingsley?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I made it home in time to see and enjoy. I'm not Catholic but adore tradition and history.
    I also loved seeing the square filled with the faithful praying with him.
    It is extremely uplifting seeing dedicated people much like faithful fans at a Pearl Jam concert.
    Even if I didn't like their music being amongst the faithful would touch the heart and impress,
    and help me to hear and understand the word.
    Welcome Pope Francis :D
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    How do they keep their caps from flying off their heads? Stick-um?
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    hedonist wrote:

How come his name is Jorge but he's known as Francis? Is this just how the Papal thing works?

ya ... they have to choose from a list of names ... it's why so many were named pope john paul ...
  • Options
    Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199
    polaris_x wrote:
    hedonist wrote:

ya ... they have to choose from a list of names ... it's why so many were named pope john paul ...

Umm.... Only 2 Pope's were named John Paul, and they were back to back seeing as the first one died only 33 days into his papacy, and so the second called himself that in respect to the first.
  • Options
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    Umm.... Only 2 Pope's were named John Paul, and they were back to back seeing as the first one died only 33 days into his papacy, and so the second called himself that in respect to the first.

:lol:

ya ... bad example ... maybe just Paul or Benedict or Pius would have been better ...
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    pandora wrote:
    I made it home in time to see and enjoy. I'm not Catholic but adore tradition and history.
    I also loved seeing the square filled with the faithful praying with him.
    It is extremely uplifting seeing dedicated people much like faithful fans at a Pearl Jam concert.
    Even if I didn't like their music being amongst the faithful would touch the heart and impress,
    and help me to hear and understand the word.
    Welcome Pope Francis :D

http://twitter.com/ImmortalTech/status/ ... 85/photo/1

Yes indeed, welcome Pope :fp:
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    Thorns2010 wrote:

:lol:

ya ... bad example ... maybe just Paul or Benedict or Pius would have been better ...
    Thanks, guys. So...Francis is like a username :P
  • Options
    hedonist wrote:
    Thanks, guys. So...Francis is like a username :P

more like a costume ... like when you go to a costume shop for halloween ... there are only so many characters you can choose from to be ... :lol:
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,158
    i would have called myself Pope Muhammed just to watch a billion heads explode...
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    i would have called myself Pope Muhammed just to watch a billion heads explode...

Now that would've been awesome! :lol:
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    A quote from Pope Francis:
    "Let’s not be naïve. We’re not talking about a simple political battle; (marriage equality) is a destructive pretension against the plan of God. We are not talking about a mere bill, but rather a machination of the Father of Lies that seeks to confuse and deceive the children of God."

Nice to see that the Church is working to evolve with the changing times. :roll:

Fuck the Catholic Church.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    A quote from Pope Francis:
    "Let’s not be naïve. We’re not talking about a simple political battle; (marriage equality) is a destructive pretension against the plan of God. We are not talking about a mere bill, but rather a machination of the Father of Lies that seeks to confuse and deceive the children of God."

Nice to see that the Church is working to evolve with the changing times. :roll:

Fuck the Catholic Church.

father of lies aka the dark one aka he who shan't be named aka voldamort ... :lol::lol:
  • Options
    After less than 24 hours of deliberation, the College of Cardinals has elected Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio from Argentina to become the Roman Catholic Church’s 266th leader, who will be the Church’s first-ever South American pope and who will be henceforth known as Pope Francis. Here are some facts about the new pope:

Date Of Birth: December 17, 1936

Date Of Death: November 16, 2015

Number Of People Who Don’t Give A Shit What He Thinks About Anything: Approximately 5.8 billion

Spouse: Isabel Alba Bergoglio

Children: Rebecca (b. 2002), Timothy (b. 2006)

Main Goals For Papacy: Keep Catholic people Catholic, convince other people to become Catholic

Old: Yes

White: Yes

Women’s Rights: Nah

Ability To Walk Up Steps Without Help: Not great

Highest-Charting Single:“Wanna Do Ya Girl (But tha Lord is My Love),” 1989, Arista Records

Official Website: techdeals.com

What He Thinks Heaven Is Like: Mix of clouds and astroturf

Outrage Over Sexual Abuse In Catholic Church: Yeah, sure

http://www.theonion.com/articles/focus-who-is,31657/
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    Dennis-Was-there-500x281.jpg
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    OK, that's f'in hilarious :P
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    Highest-Charting Single:“Wanna Do Ya Girl (But tha Lord is My Love),” 1989, Arista Records

:lol::lol:
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,298

That's :lol::lol: we are all headed to the same place :P
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,298

Dude you should also add Chavez , the korean dude , and Castro to complete this master peice ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728

Dude you should also add Chavez , the korean dude , and Castro to complete this master peice ..

I wish I could take credit for creating this bit of brilliance...but I just found it somewhere on the 'net.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com