Boston's "Snowpocalypse 2013"

Comments

• unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    Travel ban lifting at 4 p.m.

No MBTA until tomorrow.

At least that's what the governor said in this afternoon's news conference.

So, the B's should be okay. And, closer to home, I should be able to venture to New Hampshire for our scheduled agility tournament. (Today's runs were cancelled.)
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Bruins game is canceled. Good thing too, main roads are cleared, but there are a lot of unpassable side roads in Roslindale.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    An I the only assholery still without power? They are saying possibly out until midweek.
    Good thing I wasn't trying for wrigley tix today.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • An I the only assholery still without power? They are saying possibly out until midweek.
    Good thing I wasn't trying for wrigley tix today.

Said that exact thing to the wife today. Thankfully I never lost power, but I would have been going mental over the thought of it.
    Just got power back 5 minutes ago. Godamn.
  • Just got power back 5 minutes ago. Godamn.
    Hello?
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574

Unbelieveable. Are you down around Plymouth? I got a friend down there that didn't have power yesterday and into today.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
    youngster wrote:

Unbelieveable. Are you down around Plymouth? I got a friend down there that didn't have power yesterday and into today.
    I'm in Bristol, RI
    I had to drive up to Swansea Mass to get gas this afternoon.
    Hello?
    YO!
  • youngster wrote:

I'm in Bristol, RI

I live in Swansea. I was without power from Friday night until about 11 this morning. It was a balmy 45 degrees in my house this morning.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
    youngster wrote:

I'm in Bristol, RI

I live in Swansea. I was without power from Friday night until about 11 this morning. It was a balmy 45 degrees in my house this morning.
    The guy down at the Shell station told me they got power restored at 7am.

Of course the gas lines were a clusterfuck.
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Lot's of schools still closed today and possibly tomorrow...
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,872
    i don't get why schools are closed - the snow stopped 2 days ago?
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    come on pillow pants. We all know local government is a M-F 9-5 Job
    Guess we need to have all the sidewalks clean and tidy...
  • i don't get why schools are closed - the snow stopped 2 days ago?

A lot of the side streets and some of the main roads are still shitty. I went out about an out ago and there's still 3+ inches of slush in the middle of a lot of roads.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,872

A lot of the side streets and some of the main roads are still shitty. I went out about an out ago and there's still 3+ inches of slush in the middle of a lot of roads.

yeah i guess you're right

but couldn't people just drive their friggin animal to school for a couple o days? ;)
  • rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    fun video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gnhcupd ... ture=share

the storm in 58 hours in boston.
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    so did the power come back to everyone
    who was going for wrigley tix?
    i saw you guys got hammered up der
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    i saw you guys got some wicked heavy snow up der
    Fixed.
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    LloydXmas wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    i saw you guys got some wicked heavy snow up der
    Fixed.

fixed as in repaired or fixed as in fishy ?

duh i just reread it :lol:
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    Well that was a weekend plus I would like to forget.
    Power went out Friday night at 9PM. Power came back on Sunday night at 9:09PM and then proceeded to go out again at 9:28PM, so we got a 19 minute burst of light and heat and then back into the dark. (How the F does that happen). Then finally got power back Monday at 3:07PM...66 hours with no power. Friday night wasn't too terrible as the house was 72 degrees when the power went out, dropped throught the night and was 57 in the morning. Dropped steadily thereafter. Spent Sunday night and Monday night in the living room with the wife and 8 yr old on the couch under 4 or 5 blankets with the dog on top of them, the bird cage in front of the fireplace covered with a blanket save for an opening to get whatever heat the fire gave off to keep him alive (parakeets don't fare well in the Arctic), and me up pretty much all of both nights tending to the fire to keep it burning. Faucets running in the kitchen and both bathrooms for the duration so pipes wouldn't freeze (piping and water shut off under the house in crawl space which was rendered fairly inaccessible by 7 foot snow drift over the bulkhead.) Tried to leave Saturday after the driving ban was lifted, got wife's car dug out, loaded up the family and pets, got a mile maybe mile and a half before having to turn back as roads getting to route 3 were impassible due to downed trees and power lines. House was in the low 40's from Saturday night on, lowest reading was 41. Sunday it was warmer outside than in the house(was actually only low-mid 30's but with the sun and no wind it was warmer feeling outside), wife and kid walked to the beach while I shoveled in just a sweatshirt. Cruising around town the damage was unbelievable. Brant Rock section of town still looked like a war zone yesterday, not sure when those poor bastards will have power.
    Tossed a bunch of food in the dumpster here at work today. Fun times.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier wrote:
    Power went out Friday night at 9PM. Power came back on Sunday night at 9:09PM and then proceeded to go out again at 9:28PM, so we got a 19 minute burst of light and heat and then back into the dark. (How the F does that happen). Then finally got power back Monday at 3:07PM...66 hours with no power. Friday night wasn't too terrible as the house was 72 degrees when the power went out, dropped throught the night and was 57 in the morning. Dropped steadily thereafter. Spent Sunday night and Monday night in the living room with the wife and 8 yr old on the couch under 4 or 5 blankets with the dog on top of them, the bird cage in front of the fireplace covered with a blanket save for an opening to get whatever heat the fire gave off to keep him alive (parakeets don't fare well in the Arctic), and me up pretty much all of both nights tending to the fire to keep it burning. Faucets running in the kitchen and both bathrooms for the duration so pipes wouldn't freeze (piping and water shut off under the house in crawl space which was rendered fairly inaccessible by 7 foot snow drift over the bulkhead.) Tried to leave Saturday after the driving ban was lifted, got wife's car dug out, loaded up the family and pets, got a mile maybe mile and a half before having to turn back as roads getting to route 3 were impassible due to downed trees and power lines. House was in the low 40's from Saturday night on, lowest reading was 41. Sunday it was warmer outside than in the house(was actually only low-mid 30's but with the sun and no wind it was warmer feeling outside), wife and kid walked to the beach while I shoveled in just a sweatshirt. Cruising around town the damage was unbelievable. Brant Rock section of town still looked like a war zone yesterday, not sure when those poor bastards will have power.
    Tossed a bunch of food in the dumpster here at work today. Fun times.

Wow...that sucks...I hear still 40k without power. Did the family thaw out yet?
    It was toasty and warm by bed time so everyone was fine. Also nice not to have to wear 4 or 5 layers of clothes.
    Poncier wrote:
    Power went out Friday night at 9PM.
    Thats exactly when mine went out.
    And the wife just called to tell me that the power has gone out yet again. Unf'inbelievable.
    Poncier wrote:
    And the wife just called to tell me that the power has gone out yet again. Unf'inbelievable.

Bring home a pizza.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    Poncier wrote:

Bring home a pizza.
    Have the looters gotten to your back deck stash yet? Better keep a close eye.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Poncier wrote:

Bring home a pizza.
    Have the looters gotten to your back deck stash yet? Better keep a close eye.

That beer is long gone. By my own doing...
    Had pizza last night...not that I'm adverse to eating it 2 nights in a row...but power has come back on, was out for an hour...douchebag on phone (I was finally so fed up I called Nstar) said "maybe they turned it off so they can connect some other areas"...now I have to reset all the damn clocks again when I get home, if it happens again I may go postal.