Options

Credit Card money hold

Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,479
edited January 2013 in The Porch
So, I entered for the Wrigley show, and I have my 1st 3 options listed.

I noticed that the "total" is for all 3. Thus, my credit card is "pending" for 452. Does anyone know offhand when those other amounts get released back to the card?

Say I get drawn for my first selection, the other 2 selections drop off, just curious how long that takes.
Near to death.
Here to die.
Scared alive.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Vedd Hedd wrote:

I noticed that the "total" is for all 3. Thus, my credit card is "pending" for 452. Does anyone know offhand when those other amounts get released back to the card?

Say I get drawn for my first selection, the other 2 selections drop off, just curious how long that takes.

I would imagine it will happen within 24 hours of the hold being released- so probably by next Thursday
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd wrote:

I would imagine it will happen within 24 hours of the hold being released- so probably by next Thursday

Cool. Thanks. Also, I just checked my card...and it doesnt appear that the hold will prevent me from making other purchases. In other words, even if that 452 amount would put me over my limit, it wont prevent me from purchasing something else, and I wont go over my limit.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    Vedd Hedd wrote:

Cool. Thanks. Also, I just checked my card...and it doesnt appear that the hold will prevent me from making other purchases. In other words, even if that 452 amount would put me over my limit, it wont prevent me from purchasing something else, and I wont go over my limit.

I was wondering that... good to know.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    Zoso wrote:
    I was wondering that... good to know.

same here
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    I just got a pm from someone who asked me to ask the forum a question.

if 10C knows that the MOST they can charge you is $168, why dont they just put a hold for that amount, instead of the whole amount. Any ideas?

My guess is its just easier to sort?
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    Vedd Hedd wrote:

if 10C knows that the MOST they can charge you is $168, why dont they just put a hold for that amount, instead of the whole amount. Any ideas?

if you choose Londona and a Chicago option it will be more then $168 but if someone just choose Chicago it really only needs to be $168 or $116 on your card.. not sure why they put the whole lot.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    Zoso wrote:

if you choose Londona and a Chicago option it will be more then $168 but if someone just choose Chicago it really only needs to be $168 or $116 on your card.. not sure why they put the whole lot.

Yeah, that I could understand. If you put down cash for 3 separate shows, you should have the whole amount, because you might get tix to all three.

But yeah, there must be some other reason for all three amounts for the 1 show being on there.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    Zoso wrote:
    Vedd Hedd wrote:

Because each "pick" is its own "entity." While they will stop your selection once you get your higher choice, if you don't get your 1st, it will be released, then your 2nd choice needs to have a hold. Otherwise, it would cause a complete cluster f for them to apply holds to what amounts to different sales. So, you are in fact requesting 3 different "items." They don't know which one you will get. So, they have to hold all 3.

At least that's the concept behind credit card holds. It really has nothing to do with 10C. The only way to avoid this is to sell all 3 choices as 1 "item," which nobody wants.

Clear as mud?
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    JW41517JW41517 Posts: 34
    I get paid on the 29th (or 30th at the latest). I know the deadline to enter the drawing is January 30th at 10AM PST. Entering earlier than that doesn't increase my chances of getting drawn, correct? If I make it under the deadline, my odds of getting drawn are just as good as anyone else's, right?

I just don't want the $452 "hold" to put me into overdraft and get hit with an overdraft fee every day. I wonder how that works with my bank.
  • Options
    JW41517 wrote:
    If I make it under the deadline, my odds of getting drawn are just as good as anyone else's, right?

i would think so, as long as your 10c membership is up to date as of 1/22
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,256
    JW41517 wrote:

I just don't want the $452 "hold" to put me into overdraft and get hit with an overdraft fee every day. I wonder how that works with my bank.

Yeah, it would be interesting to see how this works. I know sometimes when I purchase something with my debit/credit card, I'll go online and it'll just say "Pending". WHile the pending transaction subtracts from my overall balance, it doesn't trigger any flags (overdraft, balance threshhold, etc). I don't believe those pending transactions can cause you to go overdrawn...but that may be up to your bank.
    Who knows?

I think it's pretty weak for the 10c to do this. Not everyone has $450 laying around to put on hold.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    mca47 wrote:
    JW41517 wrote:

Yeah, it would be interesting to see how this works. I know sometimes when I purchase something with my debit/credit card, I'll go online and it'll just say "Pending". WHile the pending transaction subtracts from my overall balance, it doesn't trigger any flags (overdraft, balance threshhold, etc). I don't believe those pending transactions can cause you to go overdrawn...but that may be up to your bank.
    Who knows?

I think it's pretty weak for the 10c to do this. Not everyone has $450 laying around to put on hold.

You may want to call your bank, a check card and a credit card are two different things and holds can affect them differently
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    pjradio wrote:
    JW41517 wrote:
    If I make it under the deadline, my odds of getting drawn are just as good as anyone else's, right?

i would think so, as long as your 10c membership is up to date as of 1/22
    That's what I needed to know as well. Cause I don't get paid TIL the
    28th
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    mca47 wrote:
    JW41517 wrote:

Who knows?

+1 - there's no reason they can't put a pending charge of $1.00 to put your name in the pool, then charge the balance if your name gets get drawn. That's what happens every time I use my checkcard (what my credit union calls it, and which can be used for both debit and credit transactions) at a gas station. I get an instant pending charge of $1.00 when I swipe it, then if I pump $40.00, the pending charge becomes an actual deduction of $40.00 within a couple of days.
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    JS188455JS188455 Posts: 107
    I use PNC Bank and they did in fact take the $452 all at once and it did come off of my balance. So as of right now it looks like a transaction and cannot be touched until released next week. I know every bank is different so I wanted to give a heads up to my fellow PNC bankers
  • Options
    this is from the FAQ:

Q: The are 3 types of tickets (Standing, Seated Lower, and Seated Upper) being offered for a show I want to attend. If I enter for each ticket type will I be authorized for each ticket type even though I can only actually get drawn for one of them?

A: Yes, you wil be authorized for the total sum of all ticket types for a given show. However since you can only be drawn for one pair of tickets for a show, you can only possibly be drawn and charged for one of the three pairs of tickets on the day of the drawing. After that time, the other 2 authorizations would be canceled and released back to you.

:?: still don't like it but I have faith :nono: in TenClub. :?
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    my credit union dropped the holds on the test sale after like 3 days.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    nostackedvinylnostackedvinyl Maine Posts: 857
    the problem i have with this is that my credit union will only let me have a certain dollar amount "pending" during a day. so if i enter for all four seat selections, my card won't let me do it because it exceeds the limited amount. i can call my bank and have them take it off for a day but the whole thing is a pain in the ass. i wish (like others have said) that'd they'd just charge a dollar to enter and then charge the full amount once you get tickets. i'm gonna have to use someone else's credit card just to be in the drawing :thumbdown:
    it's a fragile thing, this life we lead.

05/24/06, 06/28/08, 06/30/08, 05/17/10, 09/07/11, 09/11/11, 09/12/11, 09/14/11, 09/15/11, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 05/05/16, 05/08/16, 08/07/16, 09/02/18

ev: 06/15/11
  • Options
    i can call my bank and have them take it off for a day but the whole thing is a pain in the ass.

i do the same thing...takes 2mins tops.
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    the problem i have with this is that my credit union will only let me have a certain dollar amount "pending" during a day. so if i enter for all four seat selections, my card won't let me do it because it exceeds the limited amount. i can call my bank and have them take it off for a day but the whole thing is a pain in the ass. i wish (like others have said) that'd they'd just charge a dollar to enter and then charge the full amount once you get tickets. i'm gonna have to use someone else's credit card just to be in the drawing :thumbdown:

agreed it's pretty shitty. if you don't have a CC and use a debit card and don't have a ton of cash, it can fuck with you for a week.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    nostackedvinylnostackedvinyl Maine Posts: 857
    81 wrote:

agreed it's pretty shitty. if you don't have a CC and use a debit card and don't have a ton of cash, it can fuck with you for a week.

exactly. when i followed them in Canada last year i had to stagger my hotel purchases before i left because i couldn't do it all at once with my debit card. . . .even though i had/have the money. IT'S CRAP BROTHAS!!
    it's a fragile thing, this life we lead.

05/24/06, 06/28/08, 06/30/08, 05/17/10, 09/07/11, 09/11/11, 09/12/11, 09/14/11, 09/15/11, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 05/05/16, 05/08/16, 08/07/16, 09/02/18

ev: 06/15/11
  • Options
    matt770matt770 Posts: 134
    Someone will need to explain to me why I was charged for 4 tickets to Wrigley when the limit is 2. I entered a first choice of GA pit, second choice lower bowl. Figured I won't drive 800 miles for nosebleeds. Now I have a $336 hold on my checking account!

Getting so sick of this crap. After getting shut out so many times with the server crashes, I was hopeful that they FINALLY had a workable system. But there are still idiotic glitches like this. The way I've gotten constantly screwed trying to get tickets I'm sure I won't get any at all but the refund will take at least a week to process.
  • Options
    matt770 wrote:
    Now I have a $336 hold on my checking account!

you obviously entered twice (168 X 2)....stop blaming 10c & start paying attn!!!
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    Brane_of_JFKBrane_of_JFK Maryland Posts: 1,900
    Might be a stupid question, but I haven't been on here in a while...

Actually 2 questions: first, does your 10C number not matter now since they are doing random drawing for seats? And secondly, is there a chance of not even getting tickets to a show(s) you want to go to? I understand the "ranking" system when entering the drawing, but that would really suck and be completely different (and worse, IMO) than how the 10C has handled tickets previously...If I'm an idiot for asking, just tell me ;)
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Might be a stupid question, but I haven't been on here in a while...

Actually 2 questions: first, does your 10C number not matter now since they are doing random drawing for seats? And secondly, is there a chance of not even getting tickets to a show(s) you want to go to? I understand the "ranking" system when entering the drawing, but that would really suck and be completely different (and worse, IMO) than how the 10C has handled tickets previously...If I'm an idiot for asking, just tell me ;)

1) No, 10c number does not matter for the random drawing. It only matters if you win seats and then your member number kicks in to determine seat location based on seniority. For GA, member number has no bearing.

2) You could potentially end up with zero tickets, yes. Lottery by definition, not everyone can win.

Don't sweat it, you'll find tickets one way or another, either from someone on the board or at the public sale.