Options

Down

bellosjambellosjam Posts: 288
edited January 2013 in The Porch
If the new album has any songs at least half as good as Down ill be a happy fan. Can't wait to see what they come up with...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    I didn't like much this song at the time, I skipped it for years, but with the PJ20 stuff going, and my not being able to go to AV, I watched videos, concerts, dvds, listen to lots of stuff, so I grew a new love for it, especially because of the LATG dvd, and since I found a new love for Bu$hleaguer for watching PJ20 over and over again, I bought the 7", and along came Down so I listened to it a lot, growing this new love... If you are right it would be a nice and interesting approach for the new album, I don't expect another Avocado, let alone, something related to this song, on the contrary, I expect more something like Unthought Known, Force Of Nature, The Fixer... what it is certain is that with PJ you never know...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    i was thinking about this song today.

down didnt make riot act
    but cropduster, and green disease did.

i sometimes wonder what these artists think when they decide whats album material, and whats not.

LOVE down. great great song.
    7/5/03 - Camden N1
    6/19/08 - Camden N1
    9/2/12 - Philly

Philadelphia! We're all still Alive!
  • Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321

down didnt make riot act

i sometimes wonder what these artists think when they decide whats album material, and whats not.

Down is a good song, but let's be serious now, Cropduster is on another level, perfect song in my opinion, I will never understand why only few people give this song the credits it deserves..
  • Options
    I love down.
    The wisdom that the old can't give away

How I choose to feel is how I am
  • Options
    dugangsxrdugangsxr Covington KY Posts: 674
    I love it too, one of my favorites!
    Paul D.
  • Options
    Jammalambo wrote:

down didnt make riot act

Down is a good song, but let's be serious now, Cropduster is on another level, perfect song in my opinion, I will never understand why only few people give this song the credits it deserves..

i dont hate it, and its not like i even dislike it. but i'd say down shouldve made the album and replace that or maybe something else.
    7/5/03 - Camden N1
    6/19/08 - Camden N1
    9/2/12 - Philly

• Options
    Jammalambo wrote:

down didnt make riot act

I agree with both points, alot of people say riot act was a weak album but i think it holds it own in a way, BuShleaguer is a great song live. The way 'You Are' was made by matt is a really good way the band work together, 'All or None' has so much emotion to it, it has a good mix of varied styles in there but listen to the album i would say 'Down' makes for a good B-Side but just doesn't fit with the album and what they put together.
    If i was ever the problem, i'd certainly never admit it...
  • Options
    KnZiE94KnZiE94 Posts: 158
    Down is a great song!
    BRAD- April 21, 2012 Seattle, WA
    BRAD- April 27, 2012 Seattle, WA

Pearl Jam- September 30, 2012 Missoula, MT
    Pearl Jam- November 30, 2013 Spokane, WA
    Pearl Jam- December 6, 2013 Seattle WA
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    KnZiE94 wrote:
    Down is a great song!

I love this song!!
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Down is a great tune.
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    "Rise....you can't be neutral, on a movin' train."

Love that line. Great, great song. I believe it's one of Ed's personal favorites too.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    PJinILPJinIL satan's bed Posts: 431
    I've always thought the music a bit on the weak side for PJ, it's catchy and has a nice breakdown, but I really, really like the words. I think the lyrics make that song just as much as any other PJ song.
    It's amazing what you hear when you take time to listen.
  • Options
    i think its pretty good musicially.

corduroy has a simple riff and that song is top 15 for most people.
    7/5/03 - Camden N1
    6/19/08 - Camden N1
    9/2/12 - Philly

• Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    Jammalambo wrote:

down didnt make riot act

I love Down and think it is a great song... but I think Green Disease is slightly better and Cropduster is easily better. Riot Act is a fucking phenomenal album if you ask me. Help, Help is the tune that should have been scrapped for down... and maybe Bu$hleager or something for Undone. Otherwise, Riot Act is LOADED with great tunes, you haters are on crack!
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    i like riot act, not love it.

cant keep is by far my favorite song off that record. incredible tune.
    7/5/03 - Camden N1
    6/19/08 - Camden N1
    9/2/12 - Philly

• Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 906

I don't know if I'd say "by far" but it is a good one. I Am Mine, LBC, and Half Full give it a fair run for its money.
  • Options
    LBC is probably the best live song off that album.
    7/5/03 - Camden N1
    6/19/08 - Camden N1
    9/2/12 - Philly

• Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131

I'm a Riot Act lover and it is my favorite tune on there as well... My fav pj album opener.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    The 3 riot act b-sides to me are the best songs from the riot act days
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435

down didnt make riot act

Green Disease is classic! Cropduster is pretty good too, but it got a bit played out in 2003.

I listened to Riot Act a couple days ago and feel like it gets better with every year that passes. I thought it was fine when it came out, but some of the songs have aged surprisingly well. Ghost is one of the most underplayed/underrated songs of the "2nd half" of Pearl Jam's career. Love it. Some of the songs towards the end (Help Help etc) are not fantastic... but that's why they're towards the end. :) There are some great rockers and just great songs on there. Down is also a great song. It is interesting that it still shows up in setlists this much later, over other RA songs that haven't been played much/at all since that tour. They really like Down even though it didn't make the album for whatever reason.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    Save You and Ghost are my favourite from Riot Act and 2 of my all time fav PJ songs
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    top tier from riot act:

cant keep
    love boat
    i am mine
    save you
    arc
    1/2 full
    all or none
    ghost
    7/5/03 - Camden N1
    6/19/08 - Camden N1
    9/2/12 - Philly

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,654
    Jammalambo wrote:

down didnt make riot act

i dont hate it, and its not like i even dislike it. but i'd say down shouldve made the album and replace that or maybe something else.
    I love Down, and Riot Act is one of my very favorite PJ albums (my very fave probably being Lost Dogs), but Down wasn't right for RA. That is a dark album, and Down is way too upbeat sounding for it, and they knew it. It would have been totally out of place no matter how awesome a song it is. I am glad Down was saved for the masterpiece that is Lost Dogs! And think that RA is perfect the way it is (except for the fact that Bu$hleaguer is really no good on it. I don't understand how it could be so cool-sounding live, and so soulless in the studio).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    MiiikeMiiike Posts: 436
    DOWN is f***ing amazing!!!! So uplifting!!! I ADORE that song . . . I'll listen to the recorded version, then a live version straight after for a dose of happiness!
    One of my favourites for shiz
    :D:D:D