Options

single video theory-"you might wanna--try an e-bow"

2»

Comments

• Options
    green_girl wrote:
    SVT is absolutely my favorite.

"If I was the problem I was certainly never going to admit it ;) . . .. .But I don't . . . I really don't . . . Well . . ya know Stone was the problem. . . It was . .. It was Stone. :D "

:lol::lol: Their interactions are priceless.

I bet there are hours of interview footage lying around somewhere. I wish they'd release that.
    That would be awesome!
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • Options
    One thing I've always wondered though - what's the chronology here? Was it filmed after Yield was recorded (i.e. rehearsing for a tour), or is it them rehearsing songs to get them perfected before recording? I should add that i haven't watched it in years, so forgive me if this is explained on the DVD.... :?

This is the practice sessions prior to the 1998 Yield tour. So basically the perfecting of the songs from the studio to being done live is what SVT consists of.

And I agree with many who have stated this is their favorite PJ DVD by far. It is so intimate and you really feel the bands sense of humor and personalities more than any other DVD...
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.”
    -Mark Twain
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    One thing I've always wondered though - what's the chronology here? Was it filmed after Yield was recorded (i.e. rehearsing for a tour), or is it them rehearsing songs to get them perfected before recording? I should add that i haven't watched it in years, so forgive me if this is explained on the DVD.... :?

This is the practice sessions prior to the 1998 Yield tour. So basically the perfecting of the songs from the studio to being done live is what SVT consists of.

And I agree with many who have stated this is their favorite PJ DVD by far. It is so intimate and you really feel the bands sense of humor and personalities more than any other DVD...

Disagree.....I think this is the writing and pre-recording sessions....Songs were to rough to have already been done, and too much discussion as to where this and that should and shouldnt go! All the talk about the in hiding riff.....ed writing stuff down(even though he always is)...anyhow, imho...:-)
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    pjradio wrote:
    call me crazy, but I enjoyed SVT a little more than the other DVD's...love the behind the scenes stuff

Agreed 100%. Best Pearl Jam album ever. There was footage online of the 8 album that was very SVT-ish, I'd love to see that released. I'd also love to see a full, "Director's Cut" version of SVT released. Why not, we'd all run out and get it, ha.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    KnZiE94KnZiE94 Posts: 158
    Love this DVD, it's my favorite!
    BRAD- April 21, 2012 Seattle, WA
    BRAD- April 27, 2012 Seattle, WA

Pearl Jam- September 30, 2012 Missoula, MT
    Pearl Jam- November 30, 2013 Spokane, WA
    Pearl Jam- December 6, 2013 Seattle WA
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413

Disagree.....I think this is the writing and pre-recording sessions....Songs were to rough to have already been done, and too much discussion as to where this and that should and shouldnt go! All the talk about the in hiding riff.....ed writing stuff down(even though he always is)...anyhow, imho...:-)

Been awhile since I watched it, but I don't remember most of the tunes being that rough. I think the bulk of the recording had been done and alot of the discussion has to do with how they were going to approach the stuff live.

In just about every product description it's described as tour rehearsals. Also, according to their respective wiki pages, Yield was made from Feb-September of 97 and SVT was filmed over 4 days in November. They played several Yield tunes for their shows opening for the Stones.
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,005
    "what's my motivation here...?"

Epic reference!
    Well done sir!

Boy you can cut the tension with a knife in lots if those SVT interviews..
    And mike (I am a huge mike fan) looks awful..
    Chrohns related?
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    locked wrote:
    "what's my motivation here...?"

Epic reference!
    Well done sir!

Boy you can cut the tension with a knife in lots if those SVT interviews..
    And mike (I am a huge mike fan) looks awful..
    Chrohns related?

Nah I think he had just gotten off hard drugs. Maybe heroin. I'm not exactly sure.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    DewieCox wrote:
    [quote="T

Been awhile since I watched it, but I don't remember most of the tunes being that rough. I think the bulk of the recording had been done and alot of the discussion has to do with how they were going to approach the stuff live.

In just about every product description it's described as tour rehearsals. Also, according to their respective wiki pages, Yield was made from Feb-September of 97 and SVT was filmed over 4 days in November. They played several Yield tunes for their shows opening for the Stones.

You are prob right then....been many years since I have watched it.....Just going off of memory...which gets worse by the second....lol....Thanks for setting me straight! :-)
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    [quote="T

You are prob right then....been many years since I have watched it.....Just going off of memory...which gets worse by the second....lol....Thanks for setting me straight! :-)

Yeah, I remember a quote from years ago where someone asked Jeff before or after a PJ show in California around 2002-2003 about it and he replied "That was us perfecting the songs to be played live on Yield tour."
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.”
    -Mark Twain
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,928
    "what does pearl jam mean to you?" ed smiles...thinks.....enter do the evolution.

svt is my all time favorite dvd by them. I haven't watched in years. I love the car ed rolls up in.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    "what does pearl jam mean to you?" ed smiles...thinks.....enter do the evolution.

svt is my all time favorite dvd by them. I haven't watched in years. I love the car ed rolls up in.

Yeah that car is cool. So's his hat. :D
  • Options
    CTD10CTD10 Posts: 351
    I watch it like once a month awesome
    ctd
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,313
    green_girl wrote:
    I bet there are hours of interview footage lying around somewhere. I wish they'd release that.
    fanch75 wrote:
    I'd also love to see a full, "Director's Cut" version of SVT released. Why not, we'd all run out and get it, ha.

They should include an uncut version of SVT in the No Code/Yield reissue box set! I sense a new campaign brewing :D
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    interesting to see some of the outtakes from SVT end up in PJ20. (the stalker issues....wow)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    goldrush wrote:
    They should include an uncut version of SVT in the No Code/Yield reissue box set! I sense a new campaign brewing :D

Yes! +1 :thumbup: :clap::clap:
  • Options
    PJinILPJinIL satan's bed Posts: 431
    I love Ed's dialogue about MFC. I won't have the quote entirely accurate, but just getting out of a bad situation, and hittin' the road.

I guess I'll have to watch it more...
    It's amazing what you hear when you take time to listen.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    mfc2006 wrote:
    interesting to see some of the outtakes from SVT end up in PJ20. (the stalker issues....wow)

Makes me wonder, are there any xtras or special features on the DVD of SVT? I only have the VHS (and I converted it to DVD) :fp: I really should upgrade.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,090
    mfc2006 wrote:

Makes me wonder, are there any xtras or special features on the DVD of SVT? I only have the VHS (and I converted it to DVD) :fp: I really should upgrade.
    Not from memory, but I could be wrong. Hopefully I am and I can go back and watch them!
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    PJinIL wrote:
    I love Ed's dialogue about MFC. I won't have the quote entirely accurate, but just getting out of a bad situation, and hittin' the road.

I guess I'll have to watch it more...

I think it goes something like "obviously it's in a car and you get the fuck out of a problem, or out of a bad situation...."

Yes you need to watch it more. : )
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    bazzer wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:

Not from memory, but I could be wrong. Hopefully I am and I can go back and watch them!

No extras.
  • Options
    pjradio wrote:
    Stone Gossard: I can't, I can't get to an E bow... if you wanna to do it...
    Eddie Vedder: If I wanna do it... I can get to an E bow easier than... what do you, what do you... easier than you can get to an E bow?
    Stone Gossard: Well, I can't get to an E bow out of, coming out of a finger-picking part... cause the first note is like on the one.
    Eddie Vedder: Can you get to an E bow?
    [Laughing]
    Mike McCready: Um... I might be able to ge to an E bow... possibly.
    Stone Gossard: It probably wouldn't... I mean... I... my... whatever.
    Eddie Vedder: I understand.

Thanks for typing this out.

:mrgreen:
  • Options
    I also have not seen this in quite a long time. Thanks to this thread I just gave it a spin. Great video! I love the rawness of the songs and candid interviews.
  • Options
    pjradio wrote:
    Stone Gossard: I can't, I can't get to an E bow... if you wanna to do it...
    Eddie Vedder: If I wanna do it... I can get to an E bow easier than... what do you, what do you... easier than you can get to an E bow?
    Stone Gossard: Well, I can't get to an E bow out of, coming out of a finger-picking part... cause the first note is like on the one.
    Eddie Vedder: Can you get to an E bow?
    [Laughing]
    Mike McCready: Um... I might be able to ge to an E bow... possibly.
    Stone Gossard: It probably wouldn't... I mean... I... my... whatever.
    Eddie Vedder: I understand.

I love this part of the film and where:
    Ed: If i was ever the problem i would certainly never admit it......stone was the problem, definately stone.
    If i was ever the problem, i'd certainly never admit it...