Options

Easy Street Queen Anne closing

RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
edited January 2013 in The Porch
RIP Easy Street QA

Great place to catch all the free shows.

Wonder if they will have any cool deals...

http://easystreetonline.com/blog/8560/e ... ry-18-2013
The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,160
    :(
  • Options
    H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Sucks. I guess i have no reason to ever go to Queen Anne... :cry:
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options
    KnZiE94KnZiE94 Posts: 158
    I'm so sad about this... :cry:
    BRAD- April 21, 2012 Seattle, WA
    BRAD- April 27, 2012 Seattle, WA

Pearl Jam- September 30, 2012 Missoula, MT
    Pearl Jam- November 30, 2013 Spokane, WA
    Pearl Jam- December 6, 2013 Seattle WA
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Favorite radio stations calling it quits and records stores closing their doors.

They hurt me somewhat equally and they are never good things.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,841
    Sad news indeed. Long live the West Seattle store!
  • Options
    DischordVisionDischordVision SEAttle by way of WNY Posts: 532
    this seriously sucks. I read awhile back that PJ were instrumental (no pun intended) in helping keep Easy Street alive. Well, I guess times have changed....oh no wait, the space is being taken over by Chase Bank who can somehow afford the higher cost lease....FUCK YOU PLUTOCRATS...I swear these motherfuckers are in every inch of the world....
    U.S. / Canada Buffalo 1996 Barrie Ontario 1998 Saratoga Springs 2000 Toronto Ontario 2000 Albany 2003 Toronto Ontario 2003 Buffalo 2003 Toronto Ontario 2005 Toledo 2004 London Ontario 2005 Seattle 2009 Vancouver B.C. 2011 Seattle 2013
  • Options
    ekwiptekwipt Vancouver Posts: 315
    Horrible news. Went to my first Record Store Day there. It's gonna be hard to justify my daytrips down the i5 for Paseo's sandwiches without being able to go to Easy Street Queen Anne too :-(
  • Options
    H.Chinaski wrote:
    Sucks. I guess i have no reason to ever go to Queen Anne... :cry:

This is awful news. And indeed, now there's totally no reason to ever go to Queen Anne. Except maybe Sushiland, but that is a horrendously poor substitute for Easy Street. Boo.
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,604
    my wife and I were there at the end of October as part of our Seattle trip. Terrible news for a great record shop :(
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    From 2002 - they were in the process of painting the Riot Act artwork on the side of the building. Wasn't there for the completion though.

11j9njq.jpg

a5ba6d.jpg
  • Options
    I am devastated... Was there last November for the RNDM in-store... :cry:
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    damn :(
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    quasiquasi Posts: 492
    At least they just signed a long time lease on their West Seattle store. But, I'll miss being able to stop by the Queen Anne Store. Hopefully Silver Platters a mile or so away will be able to hang on.
    SEA 9/20/92, SEA 12/7/93, SEA 12/31/94 (MS), SEA 11/5/00, SEA 11/6/00, SEA 12/8/02, SEA 12/9/02, BEN 10/22/03, GOR 9/1/05, SD 7/7/06, LA 7/10/06, LA 7/12/06, LA (EV) 4/12/08, LA (EV) 4/13/08, LA 7/12/08, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/7/09, SEA 12/6/13, SEA 8/8/18
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    this is the way of the future... soon their will be no record stores left.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Zoso wrote:
    No don't speak that way!! I feel for all of you!
    When Streetside Records in KC MO closed we were
    all devastated!!! Now, if I lost Independent or Earth
    Pig records I think I would cry!! It's kinda like losing
    a friend!
  • Options
    HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    Zoso wrote:
    I'm rather spoiled here in London. It's REALLY sad to hear about this closure, but at the same time, it's also quite positive to hear there's a 15 year lease signed up for West Seattle.

Fond memories of times spent here on my trips in 08 and 09. Especially in 09, with the Avocado release party in WS, the shows at the Key with the preparty, lets face it, it was just divided between the pub and the store, then the in-store here at the QA store, then the Alice show at the Moore.

RIP. Matt's a great guy, to be sure. Met him once and had a really good chat about music cultures, local and global.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,432
    this is an example of why it is important to support indie record stores, even if you pay a few extra dollars to do so.
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    This sucks. This was the store i visited while i was in Seattle in May of last year. Now i will hold on to my tee shirt forever from this store.
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    Sad sad sad. Does that mean RNDM was the last band for an in-store performance there?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaqYy6VfGNU
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,851
    Easy Street Records Queen Anne Store Public Auction Preview #1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... dxvWSCwE8#!

As you know, we are closing our Queen Anne store this Friday after an epic blowout in-store by Yo La Tengo at 7pm. But we can't take it with us...in fact, we are selling everything in the store (including the back door signed by Lou Reed, the Nirvana stage garage door, the stage itself, which has been graced by many world famous bands. Heck, even the street lights on posts are going!). We will be holding a spectacular public liquidation auction at the store on Sunday, January 20, at 11am. Previews will take place on Saturday, 1/19, from 4-7pm and Sunday, 1/20, 9-11am

What's up for auction? Virtually everything you see on the store walls and everything you don't see in our back room stash...in other words, a huge amount of memorabilia such as framed posters (some signed), loose posters, original lithographs, (regular size, 2’ x 2’, 3’ x 3’, and 4’ x 4’ squares), 100+ one-of-a-kind billboard banners, merchandising racks, cd/dvd/lp bins, store signage, light fixtures, office equipment, point-of-sale equipment, general record store necessities, and virtually everything else in the entire place.

Check out some of the large foamcore posters that will be available in the video above. Photo slideshow coming soon!

Come on down and get yourself a piece of Easy Street history!

Huge PJ posters!!!

0:19 ... Lost Dogs
    4:15 ... Rearview Mirror
  • Options
    A local weekly paper interviewed employees of Easy Street:

Memories That Will Stay with Me Like a Thousand Locked Grooves

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/memo ... d=15751997

JODY MCKANE (various positions/vinyl buyer, 2004—2008)

Best thing about working there? Obviously, the records. Feeding the vinyl habits of myself, my coworkers, and our clientele. Large collections of records were constantly coming in off the streets, and after they were purchased, it was very satisfying to know what kind of records everyone was looking for so I could pull a piece aside and surprise somebody with a platter they'd been looking for. That being said, the community was a very close second—both the record-buying public and all the extremely talented and creative people I worked with.

Worst thing about working there? Having to hear Pearl Jam on a hangover. Nothing personal, fellas.

:lol:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    travhaytravhay Posts: 76
    Sad sad sad. Does that mean RNDM was the last band for an in-store performance there?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaqYy6VfGNU

Nope. Yo La Tengo is performing there on its last day of business (Jan. 18).
    "Makes much more sense, to live in the present tense"
    http://www.guerrillacandy.com
  • Options
    How much did those big Lost Dogs & Rearview Mirror posters auction off for?
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:

bidding started at $80, I think they went for around $200-300.

Live at Easy Street framed went for $300.

There was soooooooo much stuff. It was really sad to see it all go.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Jdub5521Jdub5521 Posts: 123
    How about the EV ITW banner? Any other PJ related items go?
  • Options
    RKCNDY wrote:
    demetrios wrote:

bidding started at $80, I think they went for around $200-300.

Live at Easy Street framed went for $300.

There was soooooooo much stuff. It was really sad to see it all go.

Only $300 for the Easy Street framed? Man, would of loved that one.
    Jdub5521 wrote:

$2500 for the EV ITW banner.
  • Options
    Jdub5521 wrote:

there were:

8.5"x14" Ten Redux posters (2)

EV Ukulele Songs posters-one was 24x24, and another was 36x36

PJ20 Posters-a bid dinged up (set of 3-went for $80)

EV Signed Kozik:
    IS.php?id=182204&t=mi
    (Ed dropped it off the night before-framed and matted)
    I want to say it went for $900

EV Kenyon Hall-unsigned:
    IS.php?id=96189&t=mi
    went for $850

some stuff was going for crazy prices...

EDIT: oh, did ask Matt about the PJ mobile, Matt looked at it, and just said, "ummm....no, I can't sell that"

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Jdub5521 wrote:

there were:

8.5"x14" Ten Redux posters (2)

EV Ukulele Songs posters-one was 24x24, and another was 36x36

PJ20 Posters-a bid dinged up (set of 3-went for $80)

EV Signed Kozik:
    IS.php?id=182204&t=mi
    (Ed dropped it off the night before-framed and matted)
    I want to say it went for $900

EV Kenyon Hall-unsigned:
    IS.php?id=96189&t=mi
    went for $850

some stuff was going for crazy prices...

EDIT: oh, did ask Matt about the PJ mobile, Matt looked at it, and just said, "ummm....no, I can't sell that"

Whoa! :shock: