Knock it the FUCK off about Camden!

2»

Comments

• XboxjunkieXboxjunkie Posts: 133
    Still better than Hartford

I hope you're kidding!
    How I choose to feel is how I am.
    I had the best Pearl Jam experience Saturday May 27, 2006 in Camden NJ, but I wasn't actually at the show. I realized I couldn't afford another hotel stay and ticket set so I sold my tickets, but I had to amtrak up to Philly and then RiverLink (thanks PureandEasy!) over to Camden for the exchange.

Do you ever have one of those "someone is looking out for me" type of feelings? Well, it happened in Camden as I was leaving (thanks to the incredibly polite and helpful Camden NJ police.) By the time I was leaving Camden NJ I was just filled with joy, thanking PJ for getting me there, thanking the Camden NJ police for being so helpful, and thanking whoever decided to show up on the sly to let me know I was in the right place at the right time. :)
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Are you from Camden? Just curious because I was surprised by the lack of people coming to defense of their home town! I've never been there, but kudos for sticking up for yourself if you are indeed from there.

Do they allow internet access in prison?
    "It's gonna be a long night." e.v. 7/11/03
  • London BridgeLondon Bridge USA Posts: 4,733
    dirty_mike wrote:
    Another thing is whats the difference between philly and camden besides a couple of miles? dont get me wrong cause camden is a shithole, but the parking lots dont look any diffrent from a philly show. balloons, weed, beer, piss,... sounds like a concert to me.

Thanks for reminding everyone of this............it's like, someone show me a good looking parking lot after a PJ show. I don't think one exists.
  • XboxjunkieXboxjunkie Posts: 133
    Thanks for reminding everyone of this............it's like, someone show me a good looking parking lot after a PJ show. I don't think one exists.

The Gorge, Mansfield, Kissimee, Hartford.

there is one thing about leaving your trash in bags after you leave but to just have everything thrown on the ground is completely uncalled for. When I drove out of the parking lot, I was dodging glass bottles for an hour.
    How I choose to feel is how I am.
    The Gorge, Mansfield, Kissimee, Hartford.

there is one thing about leaving your trash in bags after you leave but to just have everything thrown on the ground is completely uncalled for. When I drove out of the parking lot, I was dodging glass bottles for an hour.

Your right. It is uncalled for, but I bring my trash bag to every show and do my part. It's easier to dodge bags then bottles. May I add that the Camden shows do not contain just Philly/NJ fans.
    There are fans from all over doing the dumping of their trash all over the lot.
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    I live less than 5 minutes away from the city of Camden (that's not a proud statement) and i wanna clear up a few things. While the majority of ppl in this pit who were in Camden are bitching, I want to defend the murder capital. I've seen about 12 shows altogether there and i owe some of the best memories of my youth to the waterfront.

1. One of the best tailgating scenes you might find in the country. Aside from having some-odd 9/10 huge lots to tailgate in, you have the Philly skyline, Campbell's Field, the Ben Franklin Bridge, and a marina on the Delaware River (which you can't smell from the lots, thank god) to party next to before going into the show. I'd say that's some pretty good scenery. Also the cops are very lenient about alcohol, because i can tell you that about 80% of the tailgaters are underage and they don't crack down on our fun unless it comes to the nitrous tanks.

2. People complain about the layout of the Tweeter Center. I agree that there are columns in certain places that obstruct view, but for the majority of ppl on the lawn, you can move over a few feet and see clearly. If you have seats, only a small handful of you might not be able to see as well as you had hoped.

3. THE LAWN. I attended both Camden I and Camden II. The first night i only went in with 3 friends that were not that into Pearl Jam but i still had a great time. The second night, there was a group of about 30 ppl who i attended high school with and I'd say about 10-15 of them were as hardcore a fan as i am and sang and danced to every word. Thanks to having a lawn, you can do this. Who you are with at the concert makes a huge difference, and not many venues allow an opportunity to share the concert with massive groups of your best friends. I haven't used 10 Club tickets yet, but I think I'd rather stand, dance, sing and go apeshit with a bunch of my friends than sit with one friend in a sea of people i don't know (unless the seats were actually that good).

4. THE CITY. Do not criticize the city when all you are there for is the concert. Yes, it may be the most dangerous city of America, but I've been thru most areas of Camden, and you are not going to get shot, raped, mugged, stabbed, or jumped while driving through in your car on the night of a concert. The waterfront area is probably the safest in the city. Take a few quick turns and you're on the highway... not all that scary.

5. THE LOCALS. I've seen a small handfull of posts defending the residents of Camden and saying some of them probably attended the concerts. Wrong... I'm not saying African Americans and Latinos are incapable of enjoying rock music, but you'd be lucky to find 5 Camden residents in the entire crowd.

6. THE INTOXICATION. I'm gonna quote Eddie on this one: "THIS IS A FUCKING ROCK CONCERT!" If you can't deal with people moshing and being drunk on the lawn... fucking move. Unless you're constantly getting hit in the face, stop bitching. There's plenty of room to move around and stay outta the mosh mix. And if you're in a seat, good luck finding a moshpit in the aisles.

7. THE CROWD. Who cares? Honestly, you paid for the ticket, you showed up, you heard the music, and you got into it. Stop worrying about whether or not every1 else was as into it as you.

In addition to #7, the final thing that really bugs me is the people on here complaining that other people showed up only for songs they've heard before like "Jeremy" and "Daughter." Again, WHO GIVES A FUCK. Anyone has as much of a right to be there as you do, regardless of fan status or knowledge of the band. You think just because you've been listening longer that someone else doesn't deserve to be there?

8. THE RULES. Word on the street is that the stop of alcohol sales, rules with blankets, binoculars, etc. were proposed by the band. Don't blame Camden.

Go the the concert, see the band, rock your fucking ass off, and leave. No one asked you to write a travel review on the city.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
    Hit submit twice...
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • London BridgeLondon Bridge USA Posts: 4,733
    Thanks for the great write up. Especially #7......I could care less if the row in front of me is Comatose. Each show is what you make it out to be.

Is there truly a bad enough PJ show for people to be bitching so much?
  • EvolverEvolver Posts: 525
    New Jersey is the armpit of America. 'Nuff said. I'll take Connecticut anyday.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    Evolver wrote:
    New Jersey is the armpit of America. 'Nuff said. I'll take Connecticut anyday.
    I thought CT was lush and green from the air, but New Jersey is not the armpit of America. Where I grew up there are beautiful towns/villages, and great bagels. Now, of course the real test would be which is better -

a PJ NJ show or a PJ Connecticut show. Hmmm that's a hard one . . . .I guess I'll find out later this week. Yeah Yeah Yeah!!!!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • phungiphungi Posts: 640
    been to every Camden show, never had a problem getting in or out... I park on the street by a bar (2nd and Market - about a 5 minute walk from the venue) and never had a problem with locals or my car getting broken into...

tailgating in Camden is awesome... arrived early, scored a ticket, and walked around for an hour or two on saturday waiting for my friends to arrive and talked to many folks from all over the place... every one shared beers (kudos to the visiters from NC and their Shiner Bock) with me... Sunday was equally excellent in the parking lots...

as for a shit hole, i don't get the big deal... the collective butt sweat stank of 15k+ pearl jam fans leaving a show after jumping around for 3 hours is far worse than anything camden can dish out...
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
  • ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    Ok, we fucking know the city is a shithole, but for CHRIST'S SAKE, the concerts were fucking awesome. Oh, you got lost trying to leave Camden and ended up in hell on earth? Well, stop trying to be fucking Christopher Columbus and WAIT YOUR FUCKING TURN TO LEAVE! It's not our fault that if you're not from South Jersey or Philly that you don't know that you NEVER EVER EVER EVER go on the other side of the bridge. You stay to the RIGHT of the bridge.

So if all you people are just going to bitch and bitch and bitch about Camden, STAY THE FUCK OUT! Jesus, I've seen countless threads on here and on the Porch about people saying what a shitty experience they had here and they just sit here and rip apart the city - WE KNOW THE CITY IS SHIT. Enjoy the music, rock your fucking ass out and go home - without going to the wrong side of the bridge.

Fuck.

And Camden 2 blew away Camden 1. Both shows were amazing, but that setlist from night 2 was friggen AWESOME.

lol... come on... it's Camden - too ez to make fun of..... however, the mother of all preparties was there!!! (best party weekend ever for me).... just don't leave the venue grounds....

Remember a red light in Camden means go..... serious....
    wishlistfoundation.org
  • UnevenflowUnevenflow Posts: 19
    We went to the liquor store less than a block away to buy beer and there was a guy dealing crack with a gun in his belt out in front of the store. Didn't feel too safe at that point! The store had all the liquor behind a steel cage locked with a chain and the register was also behind bars...

Funny that there were 250 cops around the venue and that drug dealer was selling crack a block away where anyone could see him!

I FLOWgot... the guys pissing in the sinks and the people pissing in the bushes right outside the bathroom (inside the venue) really had class!!!
    Unevenflow wrote:
    I FLOWgot... the guys pissing in the sinks and the people pissing in the bushes right outside the bathroom (inside the venue) really had class!!!

That happens anywhere when u have drunk ppl at concerts. it's not like the camden crack dealers were pissing in those sinks.
  • UnevenflowUnevenflow Posts: 19
    That happens anywhere when u have drunk ppl at concerts. it's not like the camden crack dealers were pissing in those sinks.

Not sure if that was meant to be funny and I don't care who is pissing in the sink... it is disgusting! Just wondering if you were one of those people pissing in the sink or in the bushes outside the bathroom? The worst part is my friend (a woman) was waiting for me and a few of those "drunk ppl" walked up next to her and proceeded to piss in the bushes but it was ok since they apologized to her first! RIGHT? Sad that they had no consideration for the people around them! Use the fucking bathroom!!!
  • groovNgroovN Posts: 92
    concerts at camden are great!

guys peeing in bushes is not great!

whats up with the balloons? is that like a whippit? did i just show my age?

the crowd in camden/philly is always excellent!

use your brain and dont wander far from the path - its a direct route in and out of the city.
    picture an empty cup in the middle of the sea