Options

Ed lets the crowd choose the next song in New Mexico

PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
edited November 2012 in The Porch
And they choose Betterman :fp:

(Ed did reject the first suggestion which was Footsteps)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PorchgirlCOPorchgirlCO Colorado Posts: 1,375
    Would have chosen something he wouldn't usually play...crazy mary or Skipping...although I would love for him to play skipping in Austin, day # 2...bump!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...

Orlando 4/24/92 & 8/23/92, Miami 3/28/94, Ft Laud 10/7/96, Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Missoula 9/30/12, EV Jax 11/24/12 & 11/25/12, Chicago (Wrigley) 7/19/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Tulsa 10/8/14, Lincoln 10/9/14, Denver 10/22/14, Jacksonville 4/12/16, Greenville 4/16/16, Telluride 7/9/16, Boston (Fenway) 8/5/16 & 8/7/16, Seattle (Safeco) 8/10/18, Boston (Fenway) 9/2/18 & 9/4/18, Dana Point 10/1/21 & 10/2/21, MSG 9/11/22, Denver 9/22/22, Austin 9/18/23 & 9/19/23.
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    Would have chosen something he wouldn't usually play...crazy mary or Skipping...although I would love for him to play skipping in Austin, day # 2...bump!

He was probably going to play Betterman anyways so why not choose something that a little more interesting. Footsteps would have been awesome.

There seemed to be lots of casual fans in the crowd. Almost no one was on their feet for Porch.
  • Options
    He did lightly strum a couple notes of Footsteps and then asked "does anyone know how to play it". The problem with just picking some song is it had to be something he's worked on or played solo before. One guy did yell out Jeremy which got a "no fucking way" from Ed.
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    I was a bit surprised by that while reading the setlist thread as well...why not choose something less-played if you're given the choice?
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,600
    He gave 2 people a choice and then the crowd voted. It came down to Betterman vs Just Breathe and Betterman won. Most of the people around me groaned when she had that chance and chose Betterman.

I would have said Skipping...
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    ComeToTX wrote:
    He gave 2 people a choice and then the crowd voted. It came down to Betterman vs Just Breathe and Betterman won. Most of the people around me groaned when she had that chance and chose Betterman.

Really, if you are going to yell out a song name, yell out something that has a chance to be played

I don't usually yell at all during a "Ed Style" show, however, I would have chose to shout "Running out of time" if he gave a choice.
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    ComeToTX wrote:

If faced with that decision, I would've chosen betterman too. :lol:
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    dirty frank

and done
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    ComeToTX wrote:

I would have chose something else as well, but like you mentioned we got 2 choices from two people and then the crowd as a whole voted. If the choices were Skipping and Betterman, I imagine a majority of the crowd wouldn't know skipping, so they would have chose Betterman anyways.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,600
    anakin_pdx wrote:
    ComeToTX wrote:

I would have chose something else as well, but like you mentioned we got 2 choices from two people and then the crowd as a whole voted. If the choices were Skipping and Betterman, I imagine a majority of the crowd wouldn't know skipping, so they would have chose Betterman anyways.

Yep, Betterman was going to win regardless.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    I was at the show last night and it was awesome. Just want to point out that it was an alternate rendition of Better Man with a different tempo and vocal pattern. I know I've heard this alternate rendition of Better Man before. So...I guess in the end it was a good choice, and the guy who chose the song didn't seem like he was expecting Vedder to point him out of the crowd for a request.
    Las Cruces, NM Pan Am Center September 14, 1995
    Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum July 7, 1998
    New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
    Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
    Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
    LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
    Denver 10-22-14
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    PJ-Cubs wrote:

He was probably going to play Betterman anyways so why not choose something that a little more interesting. Footsteps would have been awesome.

There seemed to be lots of casual fans in the crowd. Almost no one was on their feet for Porch.

I know I was! :D
  • Options
    I gotta say ... the slowed down/solo version of Betterman is pretty f'n awesome. I wouldn't have been disappointed.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    I was at this show, and had Ed pointed to me and asked me what I wanted to hear, I would have definitely said "Thumbing My Way"! :) As it was, I did enjoy the slowed down version of Betterman. It reminded me of the first time I ever heard the song-Bridge 2010-the first time I ever heard PJ and the night my life changed forever!! :D
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    Some people just jumped up and started speaking for their section. I thought about doing that - what a great opportunity! - but all of a sudden my mind went blank about all the songs I'd love to hear. The people around me were yelling for Trouble, but I felt like it would be rude, when you could ask for any song you wanted, to request a song by someone else. What do y'all think?