Your favorite Horror films

Comments

• SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I think I'll watch Halloween III tonight during the Trick 'r Treating hours of handing out candy.

When I saw it wasn't coming on TV (it usually does on Halloween, on AMC the past couple of years) I went out and bought the DVD. :D

I need to upgrade to BluRay, they have a special "Silver Shamrock Edition".
    Really, awesome.

Yeah, AMC dropped the ball by skipping 2 and 3. Honestly the only ones of the series that I like are 1-3 and Part 6(Producers Cut).

Yeah, I don't understand skipping 2 especially. To me the Michael Myers story is 1 & 2, as they feel like one continuous movie, and that's it. Everything from 4 onward I don't give two shits about. I don't know about H20, I remember seeing it in the theater, but I was a senior in HS, and I think a little inebriated, so I don't remember anything about it. AMC is skipping straight from 1 to 4.

I haven't seen the Rob Zombie ones yet, I need to, so I'm not including those in Halloween films I don't give a shit about.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    The scariest movie I've seen is About Schmidt.

I still have nightmare about the Kathy Bates topless scene .... fucking MPAA should have made an explicit warning.

:-o :sick: :thumbdown:
  • HartydogHartydog Posts: 2,060
    I like psychological thrillers more than slashers. Therefore Silence of the Lambs is probably the favorite - and probably a broken record listing
    Boston 9-28-04, 5-24-06, 5-25-06, 5-17-10, 8-5-16, 8-7-16, 9-2-18, 9-4-18
    Hartford 5-13-06, 6-27-08, 10-25-13
    Mansfield, MA 6-30-08, 6-28-08, 7-2-03, 7-3-03, 7-11-03, 8-29-00, 8-30-00, 9-15-98, 9-16-98
    Worcester 10-15-13, 10-16-13
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210

When I saw it wasn't coming on TV (it usually does on Halloween, on AMC the past couple of years) I went out and bought the DVD. :D

I need to upgrade to BluRay, they have a special "Silver Shamrock Edition".
    Really, awesome.

Yeah, AMC dropped the ball by skipping 2 and 3. Honestly the only ones of the series that I like are 1-3 and Part 6(Producers Cut).

Yeah, I don't understand skipping 2 especially. To me the Michael Myers story is 1 & 2, as they feel like one continuous movie, and that's it. Everything from 4 onward I don't give two shits about. I don't know about H20, I remember seeing it in the theater, but I was a senior in HS, and I think a little inebriated, so I don't remember anything about it. AMC is skipping straight from 1 to 4.

I haven't seen the Rob Zombie ones yet, I need to, so I'm not including those in Halloween films I don't give a shit about.
    I did not like the R. Zombie remakes in the least bit. He tried going deeper with theorigins/meaning of why M. Myers came to be, basically making his family white trashy. This ruined the whole thing and in reality takes away from the mystery of the Originals. There is no real reason, he was just pure evil.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    The Thing (1982)
    The People Under The Stairs...Wes Craven http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nItpE-LwwXQ
    Dawn Of The Dead (1978)

Honorable mention.....

Aliens
    Halloween II
    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original) etc

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Mamasan23 wrote:
    They have it streaming on Netflix. I'm going to have to watch in when I get home tonight. Billy Zane was great, and hilarious.

Especially this part...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxhDLo8UOK8

Woo!!! I'll probably stream it tonight too, thanks!

And :lol::lol::lol::lol: SO GOOD!!!!

I believe we call that "Zanetastic".

It's funny, William Sadler and Billy Zane star in this, and they were also the stars of my two favorite Tales From The Crypt episodes. Sadler as the guy who throws the switch on the electric chair but gets laid off when the death penalty is abolished, so he goes vigilante. That was the very first episode by the way. And Zane as the magician who takes on the 9 lives of a cat and does live snuff shows.

The one that still scares the shit out of me to this day though is the one where the crazy axe murderer escapes the nuthouse on Christmas Eve dressed as Santa. I remember seeing it on Christmas Eve as a kid, and instead of not being able to sleep because I was excited about presents, I couldn't sleep because I was worried about this guy hanging out around my house...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIdLD_CenEuyAaKcRvR4bKXMBSRCtF7JV7Bx3MGO3aRyG6vnbi_EHol9MSnA
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Hartydog wrote:
    I like psychological thrillers more than slashers. Therefore Silence of the Lambs is probably the favorite - and probably a broken record listing
    Forgot to mention "Silence of the Lambs." Great movie.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    Watched the Shining last night...gotta be one of the best horror films of all time! Jack Nicholson doesn't even need to say anything...his facial expressions alone relay the insanity!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    I believe we call that "Zanetastic".
    It's funny, William Sadler and Billy Zane star in this, and they were also the stars of my two favorite Tales From The Crypt episodes. Sadler as the guy who throws the switch on the electric chair but gets laid off when the death penalty is abolished, so he goes vigilante. That was the very first episode by the way. And Zane as the magician who takes on the 9 lives of a cat and does live snuff shows.
    The one that still scares the shit out of me to this day though is the one where the crazy axe murderer escapes the nuthouse on Christmas Eve dressed as Santa. I remember seeing it on Christmas Eve as a kid, and instead of not being able to sleep because I was excited about presents, I couldn't sleep because I was worried about this guy hanging out around my house...
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIdLD_CenEuyAaKcRvR4bKXMBSRCtF7JV7Bx3MGO3aRyG6vnbi_EHol9MSnA
    :lol: Zanetastic!!

Oh yes I remember all those episodes well. This calls for a Tales From the Crypt marathon! Totally agree with you on the santa one, that one definitely caused nightmares!! The man would not die!!!!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    candy man and the wall are the only two movies to ever scare me. might have been the drugs.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I like most of Lindsey Lohan's work..oh wait that's whore.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Student Bodies
    Scary Movie
    April Fools Day
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    Scariest movie ever: Ernest Scared Stupid
  • PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Watched the Shining last night...gotta be one of the best horror films of all time! Jack Nicholson doesn't even need to say anything...his facial expressions alone relay the insanity!
    100% agree...had that on passing candy out to the trick-or-treaters last night...what a super movie...
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    100% agree...had that on passing candy out to the trick-or-treaters last night...what a super movie...

I actually have the score to the movie...let me tell you...just the music is creepy enough!!!!
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

I actually have the score to the movie...let me tell you...just the music is creepy enough!!!!

Can I ask you a question or 3? :D I really love The Shining - watched it a bunch of times, and I always walk away with 3 very puzzling questions...and since you listed it, own the score - I'm assuming you are as big if not bigger fan - here it goes:

1) Early in the flick the manager tells Jack that Charles Grady was the caretaker who went crazy, chopped up his wife and kids and shot himself with a shotgun. Later on Jack confronts Delbert Grady and told him he was the caretaker who chopped up his wife and kids and shot himself with a shotgun. He recognized the name and picture from the newspapers. They are obviously the exact same person with 2 first names. Why???

2) Who lets Jack out of the freezer? Is it Delbert Grady?

3) Does Wendy also have "the Shining" like Danny as she sees the ghosts and horror at the end?

(I assume YES to the last 2 questions)

God I love this movie!!!! (Kubrick was a genius)
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I think the original Stephen King The Shining was better. I feel like the movie altered the story in a negative way
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    Can I ask you a question or 3? :D I really love The Shining - watched it a bunch of times, and I always walk away with 3 very puzzling questions...and since you listed it, own the score - I'm assuming you are as big if not bigger fan - here it goes:

1) Early in the flick the manager tells Jack that Charles Grady was the caretaker who went crazy, chopped up his wife and kids and shot himself with a shotgun. Later on Jack confronts Delbert Grady and told him he was the caretaker who chopped up his wife and kids and shot himself with a shotgun. He recognized the name and picture from the newspapers. They are obviously the exact same person with 2 first names. Why???

3) Does Wendy also have "the Shining" like Danny as she sees the ghosts and horror at the end?

:lol::lol::lol:

Yes I LOVE the movie - I'm also a huge Stephen King fan so the book is also a fave. They are different in many ways if you haven't read the book. Your questions:
    1) Hmm...honestly I never even noticed that!! The only thing I can think of is that Charles gave Jack the wrong name to throw him off? I'll have to look into that, good catch!
    2) Yep, he lets him out so that he can 'take care of' his wife and son.
    3) As far as I know Wendy does not have the 'Shining'. If you read the book - the hotel uses Danny's ability and it strengthens the evil forces inside of it. So I believe that Danny being there has made it stronger and that is why Wendy starts to see them.

So good!!!!! :mrgreen: Oh how I want a maze like that in my backyard :lol:
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    edited November 2012
    Post edited by davidtrios on
    davidtrios wrote:

:lol::lol::lol: What a beaut!!! This was even better though: http://youtu.be/Yi6Hm812Dic
    PJFAN13 wrote:

A lot has been made over the Grady thing over the years. Various theories. If you go to the Wikipedia page and under the section "Ambiguities In The Film" and subsection "The Two Gradys" it talks about it. There's some more in depth articles around the web, but the summary of it all on Wikipedia says...
    Early in the film, Stuart Ullman tells Jack of a previous caretaker, Charles Grady, who, in 1970, succumbed to cabin fever, murdered his family and then killed himself. Later, Jack meets a ghostly butler named Grady. Jack says he knows about the murders, claiming to recognize Grady from pictures; however, the butler introduces himself as Delbert Grady.

Gordon Dahlquist of The Kubrick FAQ argues that the name change "deliberately mirrors Jack Torrance being both the husband of Wendy/father of Danny and the mysterious man in the July Fourth photo. It is to say he is two people: the man with choice in a perilous situation and the man who has 'always' been at the Overlook. It's a mistake to see the final photo as evidence that the events of the film are predetermined: Jack has any number of moments where he can act other than the way he does, and that his (poor) choices are fueled by weakness and fear perhaps merely speaks all the more to the questions about the personal and the political that The Shining brings up. In the same way Charles had a chance – once more, perhaps – to not take on Delbert's legacy, so Jack may have had a chance to escape his role as 'caretaker' to the interests of the powerful. It's the tragic course of this story that he chooses not to." Dahlquist's argument is that Delbert Grady, the 1920s butler, and Charles Grady, the 1970s caretaker, rather than being either two different people or the same are two 'manifestations' of a similar entity; a part permanently at the hotel (Delbert) and the part which is given the choice of whether to join the legacy of the hotel's murderous past (Charles), just as the man in the photo is not exactly Jack Torrance, but nor is he someone entirely different. Jack in the photo has 'always' been at the Overlook, Jack the caretaker chooses to become part of the hotel. The film's assistant editor Gordon Stainforth has commented on this issue, attempting to steer a course between the continuity-error explanation on one side and the hidden-meaning explanation on the other; "I don't think we'll ever quite unravel this. Was his full name Charles Delbert Grady? Perhaps Charles was a sort of nickname? Perhaps Ullman got the name wrong? But I also think that Stanley did NOT want the whole story to fit together too neatly, so [it is] absolutely correct, I think, to say that 'the sum of what we learn refuses to add up neatly.'"
    A lot has been made over the Grady thing over the years. Various theories. If you go to the Wikipedia page and under the section "Ambiguities In The Film" and subsection "The Two Gradys" it talks about it. There's some more in depth articles around the web, but the summary of it all on Wikipedia says...
    Early in the film, Stuart Ullman tells Jack of a previous caretaker, Charles Grady, who, in 1970, succumbed to cabin fever, murdered his family and then killed himself. Later, Jack meets a ghostly butler named Grady. Jack says he knows about the murders, claiming to recognize Grady from pictures; however, the butler introduces himself as Delbert Grady.

Gordon Dahlquist of The Kubrick FAQ argues that the name change "deliberately mirrors Jack Torrance being both the husband of Wendy/father of Danny and the mysterious man in the July Fourth photo. It is to say he is two people: the man with choice in a perilous situation and the man who has 'always' been at the Overlook. It's a mistake to see the final photo as evidence that the events of the film are predetermined: Jack has any number of moments where he can act other than the way he does, and that his (poor) choices are fueled by weakness and fear perhaps merely speaks all the more to the questions about the personal and the political that The Shining brings up. In the same way Charles had a chance – once more, perhaps – to not take on Delbert's legacy, so Jack may have had a chance to escape his role as 'caretaker' to the interests of the powerful. It's the tragic course of this story that he chooses not to." Dahlquist's argument is that Delbert Grady, the 1920s butler, and Charles Grady, the 1970s caretaker, rather than being either two different people or the same are two 'manifestations' of a similar entity; a part permanently at the hotel (Delbert) and the part which is given the choice of whether to join the legacy of the hotel's murderous past (Charles), just as the man in the photo is not exactly Jack Torrance, but nor is he someone entirely different. Jack in the photo has 'always' been at the Overlook, Jack the caretaker chooses to become part of the hotel. The film's assistant editor Gordon Stainforth has commented on this issue, attempting to steer a course between the continuity-error explanation on one side and the hidden-meaning explanation on the other; "I don't think we'll ever quite unravel this. Was his full name Charles Delbert Grady? Perhaps Charles was a sort of nickname? Perhaps Ullman got the name wrong? But I also think that Stanley did NOT want the whole story to fit together too neatly, so [it is] absolutely correct, I think, to say that 'the sum of what we learn refuses to add up neatly.'"

Whoa!! That is pretty intense...I can't believe I didn't know about any of this! Hmmm I like the duality theory, it fits and I like thinking that Jack had a choice in his actions. Thanks for sharing!
    Re: The Shining - thanks all...appreciate the feedback and answers...
    Has anyone seen the documentary Room 237?

I did read Kings book and it is very different - seems Kubrick was making more of a "loosely based on" then true adaptation...
    Personally I like the movie a lot better - I found the remake of the movie - the series from the late 90's with the Wings guy (what was supposed to be Kings truer version) almost unwatchable - slow and the ending was weird.

Long live The Shining - I can't wait for Room 237 to come to Netflix...would love to hear people's reviews/comments about it!
  • Yeah I am a horror movie nerd to. I probably watch 3 or 4 horror flicks a week. :lol: So off the top of my head here are 3 of mine:

1) Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original) One of my favorite movies of all time. Leatherface is the shit!!
    2) Evil Dead 2
    3) Alien

Also, I don't know if any of you consider it a horror movie, but I do. Sev7en without a doubt is one twisted and scary fucking movie. Its phenomenal!!!

And not to mention I am hooked on American Horror Story. The 1st season was fantastic. And so far the 2nd season hasn't disappointed one bit....
  • Cube (1997)

Very nice, excellent choice. I remember watching The Cube in the theater and just thinking WTF?? :lol:
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    And not to mention I am hooked on American Horror Story. The 1st season was fantastic. And so far the 2nd season hasn't disappointed one bit....

I was hesitant to give that a try, but I've heard great things from my friends. Hope it makes it to Netflix so I can get caught up.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Most of the horror movies are just rubbish nowadays, I think. I liked the Japanese wave that included Ju-on, Ringu though because of their simplicity, their suspense created with only a few elements. Monsters, zombies can be fun but I NEVER get scared by this kind of stuff.
    I have to confess I had a Frankenstein-trauma, because I saw the first one (I think it was the classic one with Boris Karloff) when I was only 4 years old. I was at my granny's and my aunties & uncles were teenagers or in the beginning of their twenties, well, they let me watch the movie, insane, I still dream about Frankenstein!!!
    The three movies that really scared me - probably because I watched them when I was a kid – are The Exorcist, Deep Red and Rosemary's Baby.
    Movies that nearly shocked me are more violent on another physical & psychological level, their characters are more connected to real life. Clockwork Orange is one, and one of my favourite ever. Old Boy is another, I won't forget this one...
    She holds the hand that holds her down...
    She will... rise above...
    Old Boy is another, I won't forget this one...
    Spike Lee is remaking it...
    I watched it a few years back after I heard Quentin Tarantino flip out about it
    GREAT flick!
    (More of a thriller though than horror - imo)
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    Cube (1997)

Very nice, excellent choice. I remember watching The Cube in the theater and just thinking WTF?? :lol:

I actually saw that about 10 years ago at a friedns house. Pretty good movie Although i wouldn't really call it a horror film. I felt it to be more like a psychological movie.

Gonna see Return Of The Living Dead tomorrow at the local indie theater near me :mrgreen: I have never seen it before :oops:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Cube (1997)

I actually saw that about 10 years ago at a friedns house. Pretty good movie Although i wouldn't really call it a horror film. I felt it to be more like a psychological movie.

Gonna see Return Of The Living Dead tomorrow at the local indie theater near me :mrgreen: I have never seen it before :oops:

I think that was the first zombie movie I ever saw. Be prepared for more of a comedy/80's movie than actual horror though. But it's a lot of fun.