Your favorite Horror films

Comments

• 'Shadow of the vampire' is a comedy based on the filming of Nosferatu but the vampire (William Defoe) is a real vampire and only the director (John Malkovich) knows this. He plays it off to the rest of the cast as being an extreme method actor.

That sounds right up my alley, I'll have to check it out. I've never heard of it, and Willem Defoe is great.

He's amazing in this.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    I couldn't limit it to 3 when there are so many good ones. Lots of the ones mentioned here. I tend to like suspense over gore, although The Thing had plenty in both respects.

Since no one's mentioned them though, I've always been a huge fan of the classic horror films from the 30s and 40s, especially those made by Universal and those great noirish ones by Val Lewton (Cat People, The Seventh Victim, I Walked with a Zombie).

So I'd probably say Frankenstein, The Bride of Frankenstein, and Dracula.
    I can't knock the classics. Those are all great films.
    The Seventh Victim scared the crap out of me when I was a kid. Something about seemingly ordinary people who are really in a coven. I Walked with a Zombie may be one of the worst titles ever but it's got a great story and some incredible atmosphere.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    I'm not able to get into those really old horror movies. But I respect them. Kind of like Robert Johnson and Elvis, they're not really my cup of tea, but I appreciate the influence over the artists I like.

And since I love Dracula the novel, it's one of my favorites, I'm not a fan of how the Bela Lugosi film strayed SO far. I love Bram Stoker's Dracula with Gary Oldman as Dracula though, as it sticks to the source material, and Gary is the shit.
    Yeah, I like Oldman as Dracula and that version has a lot going for it. I really like the ending.

Even though the Lugosi version isn't true to the source, I still like his portrayal. He has that mesmerizing charm.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Yeah, I like Oldman as Dracula and that version has a lot going for it. I really like the ending.

It has such a great cast, though I'm not sure I would have cast Keanu or Winona (they did good enough though), but Gary Oldman, Anthony Hopkins, Tom Waits (he was seriously awesome), Cary Elwes, etc. Good stuff.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    1. The Shining
    2. Halloween
    3. The Strangers

Honorable Mention to:

wallpaperjason1024x768%5B1%5D.jpg

this movie scared the shit out of me...80% was related to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KHCqYCyWD4
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    Blair Witch Project
    Human Centipede 2
    The Devil's Rejects

I find it interesting that you like a pair of sequels there, especially the second Human Centipede.

2nd HC = way more twisted, evil & "disturbing"...
    Devil's Rejects = Firely clan so much more evil then in House of 1000 Corpses...8 times they had to edit to get R rating & Mrs. Zombie (Sheri Moon) had a wack attack/breakdown from being disturbed by it!

The rare case (for me) where the sequels were miles better then the originals...
    Blair Witch = haven't seen the sequel, heard it really sucked...can't possibly be as good as the first...
    Great time of the year to watch these flix...
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    Blair Witch Project
    Human Centipede 2
    The Devil's Rejects

I find it interesting that you like a pair of sequels there, especially the second Human Centipede.

2nd HC = way more twisted, evil & "disturbing"...
    Devil's Rejects = Firely clan so much more evil then in House of 1000 Corpses...8 times they had to edit to get R rating & Mrs. Zombie (Sheri Moon) had a wack attack/breakdown from being disturbed by it!

The rare case (for me) where the sequels were miles better then the originals...
    Blair Witch = haven't seen the sequel, heard it really sucked...can't possibly be as good as the first...
    Great time of the year to watch these flix...
    Yeah, don't waste your time with the B. Witch sequel.

I hadnt heard that about Sheri Moon regarding Devils Rejects.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,995
    I like Halloween and The Shining, but lots of old classics too, like the Val Lewton ones. The pool scene in Cat People (the original) is the best.

I was just cleaning upstairs and House of Wax with Vincent Price started and it is pretty damn creepy. A little campy, but cool.

Diabolique (original version) is one of the scariest movies ever.
  • rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    Event Horizon
    Amityville Horror
    The Evil Dead
    Blair Witch Project
    Sixth Sense

I don't like horror films so I wouldn't say these are my "favorites" so much as I would say that they most scared the #&$^ out of me.

:lol: actually "The Evil Dead" is probably the only one that I saw in its entirety
    Enkidu wrote:
    Diabolique (original version) is one of the scariest movies ever.
    That one is great! Too bad there've been so many crappy remakes.

That pool scene in Cat People is so suspenseful, it was one of the few things they kept for the update (which still sucked).
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    the ring
    blairwitch
    saw
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    it is probably my favorite genre of movie... but it is very tough to pull off. I would say less than 10% of horror movies are actually good. It is a very tricky balance of suspense, believability, keep certain things unseen or not 100% explained, etc. I also dont like it if the movie relies on that jumpy high pitch violin noise to evoke terror over and over... to me thats usually a crutch to compensate for a sub-par flick.

There are a lot I have seen that I cant recall anything from/they all blend together. I hate it when they investigate what it is about the ghost and try to help the ghost, etc... That is why I didnt particularly enjoy The Ring. Investigating takes away from scary parts. Its enough that this bad ass ghost with malicious intent is coming through TVs and making people insta-drowned.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. The whole thing that made the original so popular was the found footage style it was shot in. The sequel is just a straight up Hollywood movie with no attempt to recreate that style. Which is OK I guess, another one made in the same style probably wouldn't have been good either, but they probably should have left it at the original.

The only good thing about it is a pre-Burn Notice Jeffery Donovan.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. The whole thing that made the original so popular was the found footage style it was shot in. The sequel is just a straight up Hollywood movie with no attempt to recreate that style. Which is OK I guess, another one made in the same style probably wouldn't have been good either, but they probably should have left it at the original.

The only good thing about it is a pre-Burn Notice Jeffery Donovan.
    It was made just to capitalize on the success of the first movie.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    Philly's also been holding Exhumed films for the past 15 years or so and around Halloween they have a 24 hour marathon of horror films (mostly ones that people have never seen). This past weekend a lot of my friends went (I personally couldn't do it). One of my friends was keeping everyone posted thru facebook. He posted 12 of the 15 films. I only heard of two of these :lol: I would be intersted to know what the other 3 were.

The Gate
    Q
    The Driller Killer
    Xtro
    Halloween 3
    Suspiria
    CHUD
    The Night of 1000 Cats
    The Vampire's Night Orgy
    The Hidden
    Little Red Riding Hood vs the Monsters
    Son if Blob
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    Event Horizon
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
    I've heard of 4 of those movies.
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    Philly's also been holding Exhumed films for the past 15 years or so and around Halloween they have a 24 hour marathon of horror films (mostly ones that people have never seen). This past weekend a lot of my friends went (I personally couldn't do it). One of my friends was keeping everyone posted thru facebook. He posted 12 of the 15 films. I only heard of two of these :lol: I would be intersted to know what the other 3 were.

The Gate
    Q
    The Driller Killer
    Xtro
    Halloween 3
    Suspiria
    CHUD
    The Night of 1000 Cats
    The Vampire's Night Orgy
    The Hidden
    Little Red Riding Hood vs the Monsters
    Son if Blob

I've seen 5 of these and heard of most of the others. The 5 I've seen are The Gate, Q, Halloween 3, Suspiria, and The Hidden. The Hidden is a very good 80s flick directed by Jack Sholder. The Gate is a fun 80s flick. Halloween 3 is very odd from what I remember of when I saw it on its original release in 1983 or so. I haven't seen it again since. Suspiria is a Dario Argento classic from 1977. A friend and I saw it on the big screen once but it was a very scratchy print. Check it out on home video. It may well be Argento's best film. Q is an offbeat film set in NYC and directed by Larry Cohen. I liked it a lot and would like to revisit it.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • wpg pearlwpg pearl Posts: 1,258
    Creep is a good horror movie most have not seen.check it out...
    ajb
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    It's really tough for me to choose just 3 as horror is my favorite genre. I'll pick 3 that no one else has mentioned yet...if only for the sake of variety.

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) - This film has incredible atmosphere and surprisingly little gore considering the title. The narration is by John Larroquette who wouldn't become famous until years later.

Suspiria (1977) - This feast for the eyes and ears (soundtrack by Goblin) may be Dario Argento's best film. Jessica Harper plays a ballet student who goes to a European academy to study. The school is not what she expects...

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986) - John McNaughton's debut is a powerful film about a serial killer loosely based on Henry Lee Lucas. Michael Rooker stars in the lead role to great effect. Chicago locations are well-chosen.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
    I gotta admit, I hated Suspiria. I guess I didnt get it or whatever, but I didnt see what all the hype was. I found it dreadfully boring.
    The imagery was cool, but the film as a whole did absolutely nothing for me.
    Has anybody mentioned "Tales From The Crypt: Demon Knight"? I love that movie. I saw it in the theater when I was like 13 or 14 with my older brother and his friends. I know it's a little cheesy in hindsight (though some of that is on purpose, it was TFTC style) but I still love it. And has William Sadler been the lead in a movie before or since?

I was hooked on Tales From The Crypt on HBO growing up, so a feature film (though some more of lesser quality would follow) was a big deal. And seeing that classic opening scene from the show on the big screen was awesome.

It still makes my hair stand up a bit.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae5XwkSguNI
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    Has anybody mentioned "Tales From The Crypt: Demon Knight"? I love that movie. I saw it in the theater when I was like 13 or 14 with my older brother and his friends. I know it's a little cheesy in hindsight (though some of that is on purpose, it was TFTC style) but I still love it. And has William Sadler been the lead in a movie before or since?

I was hooked on Tales From The Crypt on HBO growing up, so a feature film (though some more of lesser quality would follow) was a big deal. And seeing that classic opening scene from the show on the big screen was awesome.

YES!!! I loved that movie!!! Oh Billy Zane! :lol: Haven't seen it in forever, gonna have to bust it out one day. And Tales From the Crypt was one of the best shows ever. I still have nightmares about the one where the logger's wife is cheating on him and he ends up putting his wife and her lover and trees and they cut them up with chainsaws....oooh!!!!!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    Mamasan23 wrote:

YES!!! I loved that movie!!! Oh Billy Zane! :lol: Haven't seen it in forever, gonna have to bust it out one day. And Tales From the Crypt was one of the best shows ever. I still have nightmares about the one where the logger's wife is cheating on him and he ends up putting his wife and her lover and trees and they cut them up with chainsaws....oooh!!!!!

They have it streaming on Netflix. I'm going to have to watch in when I get home tonight. Billy Zane was great, and hilarious.

Especially this part...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxhDLo8UOK8
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    Eat, Pray, Love
    I think I'll watch Halloween III tonight during the Trick 'r Treating hours of handing out candy.
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)
    Saw
    It

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    They have it streaming on Netflix. I'm going to have to watch in when I get home tonight. Billy Zane was great, and hilarious.

Especially this part...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxhDLo8UOK8

Woo!!! I'll probably stream it tonight too, thanks!

And :lol::lol::lol::lol: SO GOOD!!!!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    I think I'll watch Halloween III tonight during the Trick 'r Treating hours of handing out candy.

When I saw it wasn't coming on TV (it usually does on Halloween, on AMC the past couple of years) I went out and bought the DVD. :D

I need to upgrade to BluRay, they have a special "Silver Shamrock Edition".

When I saw it wasn't coming on TV (it usually does on Halloween, on AMC the past couple of years) I went out and bought the DVD. :D

I need to upgrade to BluRay, they have a special "Silver Shamrock Edition".
    Really, awesome.

Yeah, AMC dropped the ball by skipping 2 and 3. Honestly the only ones of the series that I like are 1-3 and Part 6(Producers Cut).