Options

Crohn's Disease Free

PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
edited October 2012 in The Porch
I don't come around nearly as much as I used to, but I thought I would pass along some good news.

Many of you may know of my struggles with Crohn's Disease. I was diagnosed 12 years ago. Since then, I've had 2 major surgeries and countless other procedures.

I'm happy to report that after my colonoscopy (my 5th!) yesterday at Vanderbilt in Nashville, my GI doctor said everything looks great and there is no sign of the disease.

Again, there is no cure, but with the help of Humira, a medicine Mike has said he uses, I have gone into remission for the first time in many years.

Thanks to the many friends that I've made her over the years that have been very supportive. With your help, we've helped make "Crohn's" "Colitis" and "CCFA" an important part of the conversation.

Thank you to everyone who has held a pre-show fundraiser or helped at a CCFA-sponsored event. We will beat this thing.

Yesterday was a good day for me. Today, I wanted to pass along the good news.

Again, thanks for all your help and support. It has helped me more than you can imagine over the years.

Cheers,

Brent
(PBM)
"We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    That's great news!!! Happy for you, Brent!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    PNuttyJamPNuttyJam Posts: 837
    Awesome! Congrats PBM! :D
    Mesa I - 11/93 * Toledo - 9/96 * Chicago - 6/98 * St Louis - 7/98 * Indy - 8/98 * St Louis & San Diego - 10/00 * Mt View II - 10/01 * Irvine I & II, San Diego - 6/03 * Chicago I - 5/06 * San Diego & SF III - 7/06 * Lolla - 8/07 * EV Chicago - 8/08 * Chicago I & II - 8/09 * Kansas City & Indy - 5/10 * PJ20 X2 - 9/11 * Atlanta 9/12 * Wrigley Field 7/13 * Moline & Milwaukee 10/14 * Wrigley Field I & II 8/16 * Wrigley Field I & II 8/18 * Ohana Encore I & II 10/21 * EV & The Earthlings Chicago II 2/22
    Won the lottery PJ20 Night 1 - Front Row in front of Jeff - Forever grateful to Ten Club
    ***I wanna live my life with the volume full***
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    Nice Congrats!
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    8-)

congrads....best wishes for your future.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    RITFWinCORITFWinCO Posts: 217
    Congrats. I got diagnosed w colitis 5 years ago and your posts were very helpful to me. Also good to read something positive!
  • Options
    RITFWinCO wrote:
    Congrats. I got diagnosed w colitis 5 years ago and your posts were very helpful to me. Also good to read something positive!

Thanks man. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Hope you are well.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    I am so happy to hear this!!!
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,272
    I'm happy for you! :D
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    TMudrickTMudrick Posts: 267
    This is great, happy for you man! I was diagnosed 3 years ago with Ulcerative Colitis and it has been one hell of a struggle. I may go back and look upon old posts of yours. Good stuff man.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721
    Excellent news! Congratulations! Someone very close to me was recently diagnosed with colitis and I've had IBS so I can understand to some degree how difficult this battle must have been. Glad you're doing well!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    barger395barger395 Posts: 855
    This is awesome Brother!! :clap::clap::clap:

Congratulations and may your improved health continue!!
    Barger
    Seen the Best Rock Band on the Planet a few times here and there.
  • Options
    kellanazziekellanazzie Posts: 1,484
    Wonderful news for you!! So very welcome to hear :thumbup:
  • Options
    guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    That is great news! My sister was diagnosed with Crohn's 3 years ago. She had been on Humira for the past 9 months. Every other treatment previous to this failed or caused allergic reactions. We are all hopeful she can kick it into remission, and she is always happy for days when there is no pain. Along with the Humira she is starting to explore some of the various diets that are supposed to offer relief. It's a tough road to be forced to walk down.
  • Options
    Very happy to hear this good news. Take care!
    I gather speed . . . Great Western Forum - Jul 13, 1998; Great Western Forum - Jul 14, 1998; Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Irvine - Jun 02, 2003; Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Irvine - Jun 03, 2003; Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003; Santa Barbara County Bowl - Oct 28, 2003; Gorge Amphitheatre - Sep 01, 2005; Pepsi Arena - May 12, 2006 Summerfest - Jun 29, 2006; The Forum - Jul 09, 2006; Aloha Stadium - Dec 09, 2006; Bonnaroo - Jun 14, 2008; Tweeter Center - Jun 28, 2008; Tweeter Center - Jun 30, 2008; United Center - Aug 23, 2009
    United Center - Aug 24, 2009; Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Indiana -May 07, 2010; Madison Square Garden - May 20, 2010; Madison Square Garden - May 21, 2010
    EV Solo 2008: LA1, Boston 1, DC1
    EV Colo 2009: Nashville 1&2
    Dead Man Walking: The Concert: March 29, 1998
  • Options
    rpech'erpech'e Twin Cities Posts: 1,106
    That's great news :thumbup:
  • Options
    rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    That's fantastic! Cheers!
  • Options
    Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,977
    Outstanding! Good feelings!
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Options
    Wow! What wonderful news. I remember meeting you in St. Louis at a Pre-party that was a forerunner of the Wishlist parties. You are one of the first inspirations for all the of the years of Wishlist Pre parties donating to CCFA. Couldn't be more appropriate or happen to a better long time Pearl Jam fan. Cheers!
  • Options
    Great to hear it. Cheers, man.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • Options
    Wow! What wonderful news. I remember meeting you in St. Louis at a Pre-party that was a forerunner of the Wishlist parties. You are one of the first inspirations for all the of the years of Wishlist Pre parties donating to CCFA. Couldn't be more appropriate or happen to a better long time Pearl Jam fan. Cheers!

That was definitely the inspiration for all the
    Wishlist parties. We've come along way in the
    past 8 years.

I appreciate all your well wishes. I'm making every
    attempt to stay in remission. Training for my
    first 5K coming up in a couple of weeks.

Cheers!

PBM

• Options
    KnZiE94KnZiE94 Posts: 158
    Congrats!
    BRAD- April 21, 2012 Seattle, WA
    BRAD- April 27, 2012 Seattle, WA

Pearl Jam- September 30, 2012 Missoula, MT
    Pearl Jam- November 30, 2013 Spokane, WA
    Pearl Jam- December 6, 2013 Seattle WA
  • Options
    tacettacet Posts: 323
    that's just the best news Brent! I remember you talking about your treatments and what you've had to go through over the years - I'm so happy for you and you're family!

Sharon (I'm not share here any more)

:)
    we're all sentient snowflakes
  • Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048

Again, there is no cure, but with the help of Humira, a medicine Mike has said he uses, I have gone into remission for the first time in many years.

Humira rocks! It has been working for me, but their is a small area fibrosed just sitting in my gut about 15cm that gives me abdominal pain. I know I need surgery and I know I will feel alot better afterwards but just scared shitless to have surgery. Probably because I am a doctor and I know every possible complication imaginable. I even know that without surgery I can probably get an obstruction. Ohhh decisions, decisions...
  • Options
    FrankY59 wrote:
    Humira rocks! It has been working for me, but their is a small area fibrosed just sitting in my gut about 15cm that gives me abdominal pain. I know I need surgery and I know I will feel alot better afterwards but just scared shitless to have surgery. Probably because I am a doctor and I know every possible complication imaginable. I even know that without surgery I can probably get an obstruction. Ohhh decisions, decisions...

I've had two surgeries over the past 12 years. I started Humira after my last surgery and have been doing really well.

Surgeries are rough, but the last one really helped me. I was tired and sick all the time. 100% better since they cleared my obstruction.

Just keep in constant communication with your GI doctor and plan what's best for your overall health. Cheers to you.

PBM

• Options
    A local girl who attends UT Knoxville did a story for her media class about my journey with Crohn's Disease.

A few mentions of Mike and the bane in the clip.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... VvPL4nxIzs

PBM

• Options
    Windermere11Windermere11 Earth Posts: 133
    Awesome news!!! :D:D:D
    Thank you Mike!!!

1990 12/22
    1991 2/1,26; 3/1; 5/25; 8/23,29
    1992 1/3,17; 7/22; 9/20
    1993 9/5; 10/25; 12/7,8,9
    1995 6/24; 11/4
    1998 7/10,11,13,14
    2000 10/22,25,28,30