I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,375
    chadwick wrote:
    please i am begging for someone/anyne to help me understand how our votes matter. the electoral college is unfair, out of control, and not understood. wtf? i am actually upset because all this time i thought our votes mattered when in fact they do not matter at all. what the hell is going on with the brain washing of us all?

Your vote matters if you live in: New Hampshire, Ohio, Wisconsin, Iowa, Florida, Colorado, Virginia.

Maybe if you live in Pennsylvania, Michigan, North Carolina, Nevada.

Otherwise, you might as well not even bother. But there are many elections besides president that are important, down to your local State Representative, who is the person you most likely would go to help for first if you needed something or had a local issue.

I'm sure I missed a few swing states, but you get the point.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    chadwick wrote:
    please i am begging for someone/anyne to help me understand how our votes matter. the electoral college is unfair, out of control, and not understood. wtf? i am actually upset because all this time i thought our votes mattered when in fact they do not matter at all. what the hell is going on with the brain washing of us all?

Your vote matters if you live in: New Hampshire, Ohio, Wisconsin, Iowa, Florida, Colorado, Virginia.

Maybe if you live in Pennsylvania, Michigan, North Carolina, Nevada.

Otherwise, you might as well not even bother. But there are many elections besides president that are important, down to your local State Representative, who is the person you most likely would go to help for first if you needed something or had a local issue.

I'm sure I missed a few swing states, but you get the point.
    i do not get the point. why not all states' votes matter?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    My state doesn't count, it's red all the way. Or at least that is how it feels :( Why not keep the electoral college but use proportional allocation? I live in a red state but my city is primarily blue. My vote only counts for popular vote. The electoral college has its uses but needs to be modified.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    riotgrl wrote:
    My state doesn't count, it's red all the way. Or at least that is how it feels :( Why not keep the electoral college but use proportional allocation? I live in a red state but my city is primarily blue. My vote only counts for popular vote. The electoral college has its uses but needs to be modified.

One thing the Electoral College system does is create 50 majorities, instead of a single majority.
    If you just apply statistical sampling, a sample of 50 is superior in quality of data to a sample of 1.
    The thought process involving the Electoral College is also similar to enacting amendments to the Constitution. It requires support of the majority of states to pass an amendment, not a majority of the people.

Abolishing the Electoral College wouldn't work, unless you also abolished the party primary system and allowed all candidates from all parties to run, then hold a mass primary in the summer/early fall and then a run-off election between the top 3 vote-getters later on, say in late winter. That's how almost all other countries that use popular vote do it.
    Let's not forget, the Founders also gave the #2 position to the #2 vote getter. ;)
    Its been a while since History classes for me, but I do remember a partial cause of the Civil War was the Electoral College...
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24