Options

Pearl Jam to play Oracle OpenWorld

Comments

• Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Bill Hicks a still relevant genius,take out the drugs reference and replace with the sucking of the corporate cock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6D90lJ2RJg
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Options
    frazbafrazba Posts: 601
    I was drawn to PJ at the start because I was an idealistic young man, and because they played some amazing music. I agreed with most of what they believed in (or vice versa, if you want). Over the years I have seen this band (especially Vedder) slowly veer away from the ideals,if not the music, that made them so appealing to me in the early 90's, culminating in this bullshit.
    Music to me is more than just a hobby, it's a way of life, I'm sure I'm not alone. This is why the decision to play an event like this is so disappointing.
    OK, I knew they weren't Crass or Fugazi but I was under the impression that they had some ideals left, obviously I was wrong, and I’m absolutely gutted. I’m sure I’ll be accused of taking this too seriously, maybe I am but this is how I feel. This shit matters to me.
    This is the end of PJ as we know them, certainly for me it is, I just can’t let this slide, I wish I could, but I can’t, I've lost all respect for them.
    I'd be very interested to hear what Ian MacKaye or Neil Young have to say about this.

This is just plain wrong, take off those PJ tinted specs and Flex Your Head.
  • Options
    stargirl69 wrote:
    Bill Hicks a still relevant genius,take out the drugs reference and replace with the sucking of the corporate cock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6D90lJ2RJg

Nearly 20 years dead and he still hits the nail on the head.
  • Options
    frazba wrote:
    I was drawn to PJ at the start because I was an idealistic young man, and because they played some amazing music. I agreed with most of what they believed in (or vice versa, if you want). Over the years I have seen this band (especially Vedder) slowly veer away from the ideals,if not the music, that made them so appealing to me in the early 90's, culminating in this bullshit.
    Music to me is more than just a hobby, it's a way of life, I'm sure I'm not alone. This is why the decision to play an event like this is so disappointing.
    OK, I knew they weren't Crass or Fugazi but I was under the impression that they had some ideals left, obviously I was wrong, and I’m absolutely gutted. I’m sure I’ll be accused of taking this too seriously, maybe I am but this is how I feel. This shit matters to me.
    This is the end of PJ as we know them, certainly for me it is, I just can’t let this slide, I wish I could, but I can’t, I've lost all respect for them.
    I'd be very interested to hear what Ian MacKaye or Neil Young have to say about this.

This is just plain wrong, take off those PJ tinted specs and Flex Your Head.

^^^ This and especially underlined
  • Options
    img_zrbzUY.jpg
  • Options
    frazba wrote:
    img_zrbzUY.jpg

Just because it needs to be said again!
  • Options
    if anything, I think the people that state that negative things said about the band aren't allowed to be said on this forum, should realize that this thread is still open after 50+ pages. and there is some pretty damning things being said here.

no matter what's said, I'm glad freedom of opinion is being allowed here.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    Folks you are not looking at this the right way.

Kelly Curtis: Larry, can you fix the 10C ticket system?
    Larry Ellison: Sure, I will do it for free if the band plays my convention.
    Kelly Curtis: Not gonna happen.
    Larry Ellison: Well then go ask Bill Gates, he wont do it for free.
    Kelly Curtis: Ok, you promise the servers wont fail when 100,000 rabid fans from around the world try to buy 2,000 pairs of tickets for MSG?
    Larry Ellison: No problem.
    Kelly Curtis: Its a deal.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hugh Freaking Dillon likes this.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    if anything, I think the people that state that negative things said about the band aren't allowed to be said on this forum, should realize that this thread is still open after 50+ pages. and there is some pretty damning things being said here.

I think you can pretty much say anything on here as long you do it somewhat respectfully.

You have to admit Pearl Jam's actions and statements in the first ten years of their career open the door to a thread like this. Is what it is.

I think a good shirt idea for the Missoula meet and greet for anyone who is still pissed at that time would be "Corporations Rule the Day" with an Oracle logo on it.
  • Options

I think you can pretty much say anything on here as long you do it somewhat respectfully.

You have to admit Pearl Jam's actions and statements in the first ten years of their career open the door to a thread like this. Is what it is.

no, I agree completely, but I think you could say that several of the posts made have been questionable when it comes to being respectful. And yes, you'd think that the band's stance on freedom of expression would trickle down to the forum on their website, but I don't personally think that's always been the case, positive comment or negative.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    RFTCRFTC Posts: 723
    there's more to this gig than just a corporate rock show. i do not believe this is a cash grab, a multitude of positives will leak in some shape, form, or fashion. you will then be provided an opportunity to forgive, forget, or further appreciate the best band in the universe.
    San Diego Sports Arena - Oct 25, 2000
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - May 1, 2010
    Alpine Valley Music Theater - Sep 3-4 2011
    Made In America, Philly - Sep 2, 2012
    EV, Houston - Nov 12-13, 2012
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
    Fenway Night 1, August 2016
    Wrigley, Night 1 August 2018
  • Options
    RFTC wrote:
    there's more to this gig than just a corporate rock show. i do not believe this is a cash grab, a multitude of positives will leak in some shape, form, or fashion. you will then be provided an opportunity to forgive, forget, or further appreciate the best band in the universe.

I agree. I don't understand how anyone could think that a bunch of guys who are worth millions upon millions would risk their reputation for a cash grab they don't need. it doesn't make any logical sense.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,254
    I haven't read all 51 (!) pages of this thread, so pardon me if this already has been said. But I have two (okay, maybe three) questions.

1) How many of you who are over the age of, say, 23, still are working for the same salary that you made in your first job out of school?

1a) How many of you turned down a raise because you felt it would not be right to earn more money than you already were being paid?

2) How many of you, if offered a quick, easy, fun, completely legal way to make a nice piece of cash -- say, a weekend gig working security at a function a friend was organizing, or a piece of contract work that came with six weeks' pay but only took you two weeks to complete -- would say, "Heck no, I'll do it for free!" ??

Most of us would love to have Pearl Jam show up at our house some evening and play a set just for us and our friends. I can tell you that my husband spends an alarming amount of time trying to devise a scheme whereby he could get PJ to come play a benefit show at his company for Haiti or a similar cause. Larry Ellison just happens to have enough money and influence that he can make that sort of thing happen, lucky guy.

Artists need to eat, too. Perhaps music is a calling, but it's also a career. Pearl Jam has been successful enough that the guys get offered opportunities like this -- good for them. [And I am assuming here that they are being compensated for their time/efforts -- I really have no idea if they are.]

I also think most of us are old enough that we know that priorities shift when children and families enter the picture. If my husband gets to choose between a late-night conference call with colleagues in Asia and a week-long trip to China, believe me, he chooses the conference call every time.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    I haven't read all 51 (!) pages of this thread, so pardon me if this already has been said. But I have two (okay, maybe three) questions.

1) How many of you who are over the age of, say, 23, still are working for the same salary that you made in your first job out of school?

1a) How many of you turned down a raise because you felt it would not be right to earn more money than you already were being paid?

2) How many of you, if offered a quick, easy, fun, completely legal way to make a nice piece of cash -- say, a weekend gig working security at a function a friend was organizing, or a piece of contract work that came with six weeks' pay but only took you two weeks to complete -- would say, "Heck no, I'll do it for free!" ??

Most of us would love to have Pearl Jam show up at our house some evening and play a set just for us and our friends. I can tell you that my husband spends an alarming amount of time trying to devise a scheme whereby he could get PJ to come play a benefit show at his company for Haiti or a similar cause. Larry Ellison just happens to have enough money and influence that he can make that sort of thing happen, lucky guy.

Artists need to eat, too. Perhaps music is a calling, but it's also a career. Pearl Jam has been successful enough that the guys get offered opportunities like this -- good for them. [And I am assuming here that they are being compensated for their time/efforts -- I really have no idea if they are.]

I also think most of us are old enough that we know that priorities shift when children and families enter the picture. If my husband gets to choose between a late-night conference call with colleagues in Asia and a week-long trip to China, believe me, he chooses the conference call every time.

I'm on PJ's side on this one, but using the money argument can't really fly when we are talking about multi millionaires. that would be like someone saying "I know you make 50 grand, do you want to do your job for me for a few hours for $20?"
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539

I think reading through the thread you would find all of the answers.

Your questions are not out of line and make sense. They probably do for 90% of bands out there. The problem for Pearl Jam though is they have hundreds if not thousands of anti-corporate quotes out there.

No one is against Pearl Jam making money or earning more each year. They spoke out against corporations and the integrity of music, and they won over a lot of fans by doing it. Now that they play corporate gigs, it makes people question whether the integrity of the music (and of the band) is still there. Right or wrong this thread is created by the position PJ took early on.

I don't think families should be brought into this debate because families and costs never came into play when Eddie argued against corporations. If families changed Ed's mind that I think this position change is hugely hypocritical (i.e., I'll be a proponent against corporations but now that I want more money I'll tone it down a bit).

I'm guessing your husband never ridiculed coworkers for ten years for not attending China trips before he decided to do the conference calls instead. PJ ridiculed corporations and other bands for over a decade, so there is a backlash now.

Anyway, one corporate gig doesn't mean a lot, but it does raise questions.
  • Options

I think reading through the thread you would find all of the answers.

Your questions are not out of line and make sense. They probably do for 90% of bands out there. The problem for Pearl Jam though is they have hundreds if not thousands of anti-corporate quotes out there.

No one is against Pearl Jam making money or earning more each year. They spoke out against corporations and the integrity of music, and they won over a lot of fans by doing it. Now that they play corporate gigs, it makes people question whether the integrity of the music (and of the band) is still there. Right or wrong this thread is created by the position PJ took early on.

I don't think families should be brought into this debate because families and costs never came into play when Eddie argued against corporations. If families changed Ed's mind that I think this position change is hugely hypocritical (i.e., I'll be a proponent against corporations but now that I want more money I'll tone it down a bit).

I'm guessing your husband never ridiculed coworkers for ten years for not attending China trips before he decided to do the conference calls instead. PJ ridiculed corporations and other bands for over a decade, so there is a backlash now.

Anyway, one corporate gig doesn't mean a lot, but it does raise questions.

It's not the first corporate gig they've played... remember the Target corporate gig when they shared the stage with one of the Jonas brothers? What a joke!

"If I had know then, What I know now..."
  • Options
    RFTC wrote:

I agree. I don't understand how anyone could think that a bunch of guys who are worth millions upon millions would risk their reputation for a cash grab they don't need. it doesn't make any logical sense.

I agree, it doesn't make sense but I was talking with my neighbor this evening who in the IT business and he will be attending a conference in next couple of weeks in San Francisco and Bon Jovi will be performing. Similar scenario, he definitely does not need the money but what's the reason? I don't think he has been outspoken against corporations as has Eddie and PJ but there is a reason why he is deciding to play the show. I don't believe the show is financially motivated either, because they could play shows in their hometown for a week straight and sell out without having to travel anywhere. Most likely, we will never know but as many have said it is disappointing.
    It won't stop me from enjoying the music I have learned to love over the past 21 years and excited to see Eddie on his solo tour in Florida.
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,076
    Hadn't read thread 'til now. Whoa, hadn't realized it was 50 plus pages of negativity. It didn't occur to me to be pissed off about shows like this. Now, the fact that ticket prices have gone from like 38-43 bucks in 2003 to like 89-92 bucks in 2010, and that we used to be guaranteed tix to a show or shows to now a lottery system, well that's stuff I am more inclined to opine about, stuff that affects me directly.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    woohoo!!! my wife made brownies! :D
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    It's not the first corporate gig they've played... remember the Target corporate gig when they shared the stage with one of the Jonas brothers? What a joke!

"If I had know then, What I know now..."

And you don't think they ever played some Sony functions when they were signed to them?
    The Target thing and playing 3 songs for the corporotaion who said "we will buy up a shitload of your albums and sell the, and when it doesn't sell we will have to pretty much give it away to our consumers" I don't think is the same thing. This seems to be something else.

AND - didn't Eddie do some solo corporate gigs "under the radar" a few years ago?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    edited August 2012
    Here is the problem as some perceive it in a nutshell.

mdf563913.jpg

Coincidentally, this is my 1991st post.

Good read from Uncle Neil
    http://www.jambase.com/Articles/14655/Neil-Young-Chaos-Is-Good/2
    Post edited by PJ_Lukin on
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    My office has a sweet auditorium that was built in the 1800's. It would be perfect for an Ed Solo show. I should email the CEO
  • Options
    teemanteeman Posts: 337
    PJ_Lukin wrote:

mdf563913.jpg

Good article
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    mfc2006 wrote:

best post in the entire thread! :thumbup:
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    norm wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:

best post in the entire thread! :thumbup:
    :lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    teeman wrote:
    PJ_Lukin wrote:

mdf563913.jpg

Good article

Looks like Stone is sporting an Uncle Neil "Greendale" T shirt. I have one just like it! :)
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    LastExitBJPLastExitBJP Posts: 79
    edited August 2012
    I figure I should offer my two cents because this issue seems like it's up for village discussion (not that any consensus has to be reached).

Pearl Jam can do whatever the fuck they want. If they indeed are sellouts, the music will get worse, fans will fall off the wagon, and they'll get what they deserve for "selling out."

But I think they're better than that.
    We've been well aware of their charity efforts (individual and group), and they don't seem like a band that would make decisions if they all weren't on board. I have a hard time believing that Stone, Jeff, Matt, Mike and Ed (Boom too) would all be going through with the show just to make a quick corporate buck.

I'm 26, have huge friggin college debt, and am single. I work 40+ hours a week and barely support myself. The dudes from Pearl Jam are almost twice my age, have kids, support numerous charities, as far as I know don't use a record label, have business expenses, homes to pay for, Ed has had that recent back problem that probably cost him a lot (they pay health insurance too), and the list could go on.

My point is, these guys have bills like all of us, and probably get stressed time to time thinking how to financially go forward.

Unfortunately we live in a world where money and credit is inevitable. If Pearl Jam plays a gig that is financially beneficial for them, I'm happy. They're not gods. They're dudes with financial responsibility, and it was probably easier for them to make music about certain freedoms and anti-greed when they were younger and had less shit to pay for.
    Post edited by LastExitBJP on
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687
    I figure I should offer my two sense because this issue seems like it's up for village discussion (not that any consensus has to be reached).

Pearl Jam can do whatever the fuck they want. If they indeed are sellouts, the music will get worse, fans will fall off the wagon, and they'll get what they deserve for "selling out."

But I think they're better than that.
    We've been well aware of their charity efforts (individual and group), and they don't seem like a band that would make decisions if they all weren't on board. I have a hard time believing that Stone, Jeff, Matt, Mike and Ed (Boom too) would all be going through with the show just to make a quick corporate buck.

I'm 26, have huge friggin college debt, and am single. I work 40+ hours a week and barely support myself. The dudes from Pearl Jam are almost twice my age, have kids, support numerous charities, as far as I know don't use a record label, have business expenses, homes to pay for, Ed has had that recent back problem that probably cost him a lot (they pay health insurance too), and the list could go on.

My point is, these guys have bills like all of us, and probably get stressed time to time thinking how to financially go forward.

Unfortunately we live in a world where money and credit is inevitable. If Pearl Jam plays a gig that is financially beneficial for them, I'm happy. They're not gods. They're dudes with financial responsibility, and it was probably easier for them to make music about certain freedoms and anti-greed when they were younger and had less shit to pay for.

We get it, Pearl Jam needs to eat. If Ed doesn't lecture the crowd at Made in America about other corporations they can do whatever they want without being questioned. Until then people who call them out when they play these "gigs" have a point.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    RFTC wrote:

agreed.
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,076
    I guess I understand why people are upset, but I don't perceive it to be that big of a deal. I have never cared what the band's political/corporate stance was/is - those stances have nothing to do with why I like the band, even if those viewpoints parallel mine. PJs political/corporate songs are the weakest in their catalog. I'll take me some Black/Off He Goes/Thumbing My Way over Soon Forget/Insignificance/Grievance any minute of any day. I'll take the fun stuff like Black, Red, Yellow and Leatherman over Bushleaguer anyday. This is the danger of idolizing or sympathizing with rock stars, or thinking that they sympathize with you. Their opinions are not yours. They might seem to be similar one minute, but another minute they might not be.
    PJ_Lukin wrote:

mdf563913.jpg