Reminder: Ed solo shows taping/camera policy

Comments

• HENKESHENKES Posts: 14
    I think PJ/Eddie should have professional photographers at the shows so you could buy some cool photos of professional quality along with your bootleg later on. Then people wouldn't have to take 20 blurry pics with their iPhones.

There were professional photographers in Amsterdam during the first 2 songs.
    Maybe you can grab these high quality pictures from the site

http://www.nu.nl/muziek/2867366/eddie-v ... hter.html#

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3fm/764622 ... otostream/

enjoy it
    1993 - Rotterdam
    1995 - Hasselt (with Neil Young)
    1996 - Amsterdam
    2006 - Arnhem / Berlin
    2007 - München / Düsseldorf / Scheeßel / Nijmegen / Werchter
    2009 - Rotterdam / Berlin
    2010 - Nijmegen / Berlin / Werchter
    2012 - Amsterdam 1 / Berlin 1 & 2 / EV - Amsterdam 1
    2014 - Amsterdam 1 / Berlin
  • ParadajzarParadajzar Posts: 435
    Just my 2 cents.......in Manchester I only wanted to take photo during the break (after Glen, before Edd) of the stage...and somehow I had flash on.......immediately there was security guy screaming at me, not to take pictures with the flash light. I asked him if ok without flash, and he said....YES, thats OK!!!

After that, I addmit I took like 10 photos during the whole show(no flash), and after reading this thread, and all complaints on manchester one......I feel bad like hell....I appologise if it was offending to anyone...

Other than that.....it was incredible show, what a performance by Ed, and Glen....one of best days/concerts ever for me, I still can not forget it....simply bcs of the power of the music...it can not get better than this
    Ljubljana 19.06.2000
    Zagreb 26.09.2006
    Munchen 12.06. 2007
    Berlin 15.08.2009
    Dublin 22.06.2010
    Belfast 23.06.2010
    Berlin 30.06.2010
    Prague 02.07.2012
    Berlin 04.07.2012
    Berlin 05.07.2012
    Manchester 28.07.2012 - E.V.
    Worcester 15.10.2013
    Worcester 16.10.2013
    Brooklyn 18.10.2013
    Brooklyn 19.10.2013
    Trieste 22.6.2014
    Berlin 26.6.2014
    Milton Keynes 11.7.2014
    Buenos Aires 7.11.2015
    Sao Paulo 14.11.2015
    Rio de Janeiro 22.11.2015
    Chicago Wrigley Field 20.8.2016
    Chicago Wrigley Field 22.8.2016
  • UglymanUglyman Posts: 75
    Now if only there was a rule about idiots screaming song requests while he's trying to talk.
    You can come to terms and realize you're the only one who cannot forgive yourself.
  • Fifi_IrelandFifi_Ireland Posts: 576
    or talking through quiet songs!
    168dcfb.jpg
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    Seeing a show is a privilege for people who pay for it. Sure, it's great to see a YouTube video but it's free. We pay to see a unique experience in person. Not to be distracted by a screen.

ok fine then you must be the only person i know who doesn't watch(&appreciate?) live clips on youtube.
    you can't have it both ways

iloveyoutube cause there's plenty of shows that i don't see and even if i was at the show and this certain filmer happened to be right in front of me i would understand
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtsnO3aEi3g
    i was up close for this show yet never saw it like exactly like this :)
    one of my fave songs ever, best version ever played.
    please consider me extremely grateful that it was captured.
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    justam wrote:

35000 hits and in HD and 7 pages of comments...hmmm must be for those fans that weren't there!
    how nonselfish of the filmer to share that for us all
    iloveyoutube

what was your point?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAAv10Ss-II

My comment is totally off the subject but, I saw this video you put up of the saxophone solo and I can't help but notice-->

This is an example of a solo that is note for note perfect but which is missing it's core. It kind of drags, drags, drags, because it doesn't have the emotion driving it forward. :?

Clarence doesn’t leave the E Street Band when he dies. He leaves when we die.
  • JollyJolly Posts: 100
    Just got back from London 1 - amazing gig, perfect set list (check it out if you haven't already) Plenty of tossers taking pictures throughout though, nothing to tell you not to (apart from the 10C email of course) nobody stopped them, despite Ed's little dig at the start of the night.
  • rushtosrushtos Posts: 6
    I saw two signs on the way in saying no flash photography and a couple of announcements were made over the tannoy ( I heard it the first time at the merch stand and then again once I had sat down ) saying at the artist's request, no flash photography is to be used. So I took a couple of pictures without the flash when the opportunity arose, such as when the lights would come up and during Hard Sun when there was a lighter background for the stage scenery. My impression was that the emphasis was very much on not using the flash and I could see why when Eddie started his set - after a minute or so the constant flashing got really annoying. At an arena gig, it's fine cos the lighting's going mental and strobing etc anyway. But at a small theatre, it's too much. I do think it should have been made clearer though and enforced properly. Security didn't seem bothered so it was a case of mixed messages really. :? (this was at Manchester btw)
    Manchester 21/06/2012, Manchester 28/07/2012 (EV)
  • I saw stewards telling people to stop filming today which was good. Didn't stop everyone though
    Sealed vinyl is bad vinyl.
    1996 Wmbly London
    2006 Jools Holland, London / Reading festival
    2007 Wmbly London
    2009 SBE London / O2 London
    2012 MEN 1/ MEN 2 / Berlin 1 / Berlin 2 / EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2013 NY 1/ NY 2 / Philly 1 / Philly 2
    2014 AMS 1 / AMS 2 / Leeds / MK
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,924
    The flashes were awful during the first song, but I have to admit I would love to see some of the pics when Eddie posed, I bet the people down the front got some beauties! :lol:
    Nature drunk and High
  • jrdjrd Posts: 3,060
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Reminder: Please STFU During EV Solo Shows

:D

I remember seeing a bunch of shows on Springsteen's acoustic tour in 1996. At the start of every show Bruce would give a little speech about how it was a quiet, acoustic show so he'd appreciate it if people kept quiet during the songs and didn't yell out. Can't remember if he mentioned cameras and flash photography as well. On the whole this was well observed. Apart from the infamous "Bruce, I fuckin' love you" pissed Scottish bloke... :fp:

The tour became known kind of semi-officially as the Shut The F*ck Up tour... :lol:

Of course, waaaaaaaay back then the curse of the mobile phone hadn't reared it's glowing head... ;)
    Oh yeah? Well, I've had about enough of morons and halfwits, dolts, dunces, dullards and dumbbells - and you chowderhead yokel, you blithering hayseed, you - you've had enough of me?
  • simonortonsimonorton Posts: 173
    ok fine then you must be the only person i know who doesn't watch(&appreciate?) live clips on youtube.
    you can't have it both ways

Make that two ...

You Tube clips can never capture the moment, the atmosphere the magic.
    "If I knew where it was I would take you there ... there's much more than this"

Manchester 92, 09, 12 (x2)
    London 96, 00 (x2), 06, 07, 09, 10
    Reading 06
    Arras 10
    Alpine Valley 11 (x2)
    Prague 12
    Berlin 12
    Leeds 14
    Milton Keynes 14
  • EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,827
    For the record, there was absolutely no request at the venue on entry, no posters, no announcements and no security checks that would have indicated its not ok to take either photos or videos during the gig in Manchester. Nothing at all that I could see.

It's on the small print on the back of the ticket.
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • moonandstarsmoonandstars UK Posts: 49
    I have seen a lot of comments on the fanview threads about recordng gigs in general, and thought this might be a good place to share my thoughts on the issue. Before I start I just want to clarify that I did not take footage at these EV solo gigs.

On the issue of flash photography at gigs, I have been taking photos at gigs since 1993 and plenty of other people were doing the same thing back then. It is not a new phenomeon. Nowadays however I never ever use a flash at gigs because if you understand the settings on your camera / phone you can normally get a lovely shot without the flash. I also turn off the red autofocus light at gigs so as to cause as little annoyance as possible to others.

RE filming gigs, I have been taking videos at gigs on my phone since 2007 when virtually no-one else was doing so. Some of my older footge is literally the only footage in existence of that particular gig. I start doing this for a friend who was in her early 20's but terminally ill and confined to her home. She wanted to get a feel for what she was missing when her favourite 2 bands played in London and saw my videos as a lifeline. Later when she passed away one of these bands put on tribute show for her at the request of myself and a small group of fans. I also filmed some of this for her family and both they and the band concerned were very grateful. Later it did become a hobby as I knew there were others out there that like her could never experience what it was like at a live show. I do have a few golden rules though, and any others who film gigs may wish to adopt some of these:

- Never hold the camera in someone else's line of sight (unless they cannot see anything - I have been thanked for doing this on a couple of occasions where I have asked permission 1st because the zoom is so good). Best spots are hang the camera below the barrier line at the front, or side stage at inimate gigs (I've been invited on stage by bands to film from the side a couple of times)
    - Always attempt to capture the atmosphere rather than just the performance (an example of this is a vid I shot from the back of a punk gig and people were being thrown in the air across the mosh pit)
    -If the quality is poor, put the camera away - its not worth it
    - Never film more than 2 songs (I did break this for PJ as my favourite band in the world but limited myself to 3 per show)
    - Don't watch the song through the camera screen unless you can't see the stage, it spoils the enjoyment (I am 5ft tall but prepared to lift the camera high if not at someone elses expense)
    - Don't sing along or chat to your mate whilst filming (dancing however is normally fine thanks to image stablisation)
    - Never ever make money from filming gig footage
    - Don't film against the artists wishes (some love it and on a couple of occasions the lead singers of bands have sung and danced at my camera)

Finally on the comments about footage / photos overwriting real memories, memories degrade and I challenge anyone to recreate a gig they have seen in their mind 15-20 years on. Have to say I will be eternally grateful to the person who filmed the PJ gig that I went to in 1996 as I have little to no memory of that show and no photos or footage of my own.

Just to reiterate my camera stayed in my handbag at these EV solo shows (other than a couple of non flash photos), as tempting as it was to get some footage, the atmosphere / layout weren't right for it and I knew it was against the artist's wishes
    28/10/1996 - Wembley Arena, London
    20/06/2012 + 21/06/2012 - Manchester Arena
    07/07/2012 - Ericsson Globe Arena, Stockholm
    30/07/2012 + 31/07/2012 - EV solo - Hammersmith Apollo, London
    08/07/2014 - First Direct Arena - Leeds
  • As someone who is going to be seeing her 1st ever EV(never even seen PJ for that matter)shows in the fall I just want to put in my 2 cents. Mostly all you people have been to shows before,think back to your first show,and how you probably just wanted to absorb every little detail of it,I'm worried that I'm not going to be able to do this with singing(when your not supposed to),yelling(when everyone else is quiet)& pics and screens(when it's on and dark,and I just want to focus on the magic that is before me,not bright light in my periphrial vision)
    So at your next EV show,and you get the urge to pull out your phone or camera to capture that moment on screen instead of in your mind,look around you and ask yourself "Is that the girl at her first show,and do I really want my screen to be part of her first EV memory/experience?"
    Thanks in advance for your consideration
    P.S. You'll know who I am because I probably will cry at some point :oops: Silently of course! :lol::lol:
    I will walk w/my hands bound
    I will walk w/my face blood
    I will walk w/my shadow flag

Memories back when she was smooth and strong
    and waiting for the world to come along...

Eddie solo Vegas Oct 31,Nov 1 2012
    on the comments about footage / photos overwriting real memories, memories degrade and I challenge anyone to recreate a gig they have seen in their mind 15-20 years on.

As can photos, hard drives can break ...

My first concert was Leo Sayer ! (I know, I know, but it rocked!) That was over 30 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday. Likewise Nirvana supporting Tad in 1989, Radiohead supporting All About Eve in 1992. At those moments I didn't know how huge they would become or think to save it for posterity, but I do know how strong those memories are because they were so exciting. Not having a photo or video of that doesn't change how I experienced or remember it. That doesn't mean to say it wouldn't be good to have those things or think people wrong for wanting that, I just know how it works for me. Personally I find that photos and videos become the definitive version of what happened and I can forget some of the sense of the atmosphere and the moments between the photos if I do that and know from looking at YouTube clips how they just don't capture - for me - what was happening in that moment. I feel that memory has an element of 'use it or lose it' about it, but we're all different, have different ways of experiencing things. It's great to share and learn about perspectives and experiences and it's been good to read about some of yours. Good stuff :)

Reading 06
    Arras 10
    Alpine Valley 11 (x2)
    Prague 12
    Berlin 12
    Leeds 14
    Milton Keynes 14
    PS - when I was talking about not knowing how big those guys would become, I wasn't talking about Leo Sayer :p

Reading 06
    Arras 10
    Alpine Valley 11 (x2)
    Prague 12
    Berlin 12
    Leeds 14
    Milton Keynes 14
  • jondljondl Posts: 3
    Security were relaxed about it, but there was just a see of bright screens viewable from further back...........there used to be a time when these were lighters! On Tuesday there was a guy infront of us who filmed the entire thing (all looked out of focus) and looked as though he watched the show through his phone. What a waste, how can you really enjoy the show like that?
  • RideRickRideRick Hoorn Posts: 703
    jondl wrote:
    Security were relaxed about it, but there was just a see of bright screens viewable from further back...........there used to be a time when these were lighters! On Tuesday there was a guy infront of us who filmed the entire thing (all looked out of focus) and looked as though he watched the show through his phone. What a waste, how can you really enjoy the show like that?

Blind people can enjoy this show too 8-)

but i'm guessing it's just the new generation who's live is realized through a glass of 4 inches :lol:
    | Pinkpop 1992 *BEST EVER | Rotterdam 1993 | Amsterdam 1996 | Pinkpop 2000 | Arnhem 2006 | Nijmegen 2007 | Rotterdam 2009 | Nijmegen 2010 | Amsterdam I + II 2012 ** | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2012 First European Concert *EPIC*| Amsterdam I + II 2014 | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2016 night I  | Amsterdam I + II 2018 | Amsterdam I -> Canceled  +  II 2022 *EPIC
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    Well how else am I supposed to watch the Clips on "YouTube"?...lol
  • thefin190thefin190 Posts: 918
    simonorton wrote:
    [Likewise Nirvana supporting Tad in 1989

Wow, that is quite interesting to think that Nirvana opened for Tad at one point. I didn't even know about Tad before my boss told me about them a while ago, he's 40 years old, so he was my age (early 20's) when grunge was exploding. For those who don't know, Tad was like Mudhoney, one of the forefathers of the Seattle grunge scene. Interesting to hear about bands like Nirvana and Radiohead who paid their dues early on.
    Member Number: 437xxx

Pearl Jam:
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Sep 21, 2009
    Pacific Coliseum - Vancouver, BC - Sep 25, 2011
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Dec 6, 2013

Eddie Vedder Solo:
    Benaroya Hall - Seattle, WA - Jul 15, 2011
  • luanisluanis Posts: 159
    I had no knowledge of this policy and I took a couple of pics last Friday at Zambujeira but I wasn't close so I am sure the flash didn't do any harm and the quality is pretty crappy, just a personal reminder of this night.
    However I apologize, as I mentioned I had no knowledge.
    Pearl Jam:
    Restelo Stadium - May 23rd 2000 ; Pavilhao Atlantico - Sep 4th 2006 ; Passeio Maritimo Alges - Jun 8th 2007 ; Optimus Alive! - Jul 10th 2010 ; NOS Alive - Jul 14th 2018

Eddie Vedder Solo:
    Sudoeste Festival, Zambujeira do Mar - Aug 3rd 2012 ; Super Bock Super Rock, Meco - Jul 18th 2014
    _____
    Next?
  • A guy 10 feet away from me recorded the entire show with a video camera. I shouted a few times in both Portuguese and English to no avail. I wanted to grab the camera from the guy but my GF convinced me to let it go... After all we had been pulled over by cops on the way to the festival... The last thing I needed was to get kicked out of the place for a fist fight (although would have been a good cause).

For this tool I wanna say: I hope you enjoy the one time you will look at that video. You are a shame for all of PJ fans.
    Severed Hand
  • luanisluanis Posts: 159
    A guy 10 feet away from me recorded the entire show with a video camera. I shouted a few times in both Portuguese and English to no avail. I wanted to grab the camera from the guy but my GF convinced me to let it go... After all we had been pulled over by cops on the way to the festival... The last thing I needed was to get kicked out of the place for a fist fight (although would have been a good cause).

For this tool I wanna say: I hope you enjoy the one time you will look at that video. You are a shame for all of PJ fans.

It's just stupid of them to spend the entire show tapping cause that way they aren't paying attention do the gig. That sucks. I learned that myself years ago when I used to take lots of pics. Now I usually take one or two just as a reminder and that's it. That way my full attention is where it should be, the show.
    Pearl Jam:
    Restelo Stadium - May 23rd 2000 ; Pavilhao Atlantico - Sep 4th 2006 ; Passeio Maritimo Alges - Jun 8th 2007 ; Optimus Alive! - Jul 10th 2010 ; NOS Alive - Jul 14th 2018

Eddie Vedder Solo:
    Sudoeste Festival, Zambujeira do Mar - Aug 3rd 2012 ; Super Bock Super Rock, Meco - Jul 18th 2014
    _____
    Next?
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341

But then we're all immediately on youtube hoping people have put vids up, asking on the boards 'has anyone filmed this or that'? 'has anyone recorded such show?' 'Where can I download it from'? People are commenting on these 'tools' but are often quite happy being able to 'partake' in what this 'tool' has to offer after the gigs.

Double-edged sword....
  • redrock wrote:

Double-edged sword....

so true

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3AbOtZVqbs

and i saw the clip that's been floating around when roger(playing the uke!) and ed did black red yellow(July 31, 2012)...and while i wont share the link that i got from a friend(out of respect), all i can say is a BIG THANK YOU to whomever captured that video and shared it. it wasn't a+ but it was damn good!
  • big mickbig mick Hull UK Posts: 773
    Bring the shows out on DVD and CD! Memories fade!
    Reading England 2006, Manchester England 2009, London England 2010, Manchester 1 2012, EV London 1 2012
  • HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    redrock wrote:

But then we're all immediately on youtube hoping people have put vids up,
    Not all. I'm FAR, FAR more inclined to ask for videos of the singalong at the bar/bus/street.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Hinn wrote:
    redrock wrote:

But then we're all immediately on youtube hoping people have put vids up,
    Not all. I'm FAR, FAR more inclined to ask for videos of the singalong at the bar/bus/street.

Those are the ones that are kept hidden away, for no one to see but to be used 'against you' at a later time... :lol:
  • ham_on_ryeham_on_rye Indiana Dunes Posts: 205
    I do not understand how or why anyone would question his wishes. If you do not respect the man how could you possibly respect the music?