Options

Anyone own a time share/vacation club?

JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
edited April 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
My husband and I just bought one last week while we were in Vegas through Diamond Resorts International. We paid $13,900.00 with a maintenance fee of $847.00 a year and we will be able to take roughly 2 weeks of vacation a year with the option of buying more points in the future so we can travel more when we are older. They own 220 properties around the world and we can also chose resorts through RCI and II for free since we are part of The Club Select. One of the bonuses they gave us was a free trip to Hawaii (including airline tickets) which I am super excited about.

We were pretty hesitant on buying it at first since we don't know anybody who owns one.

So, those of you who own one, how do you like it? Did we make a good purchase? (please tell me we did since the 5 day refund policy is over :lol: )
If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    aweful purchase :P

the guy i sit beside in teh office owns one. he is plenty happy
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Do you have a good lawyer ? :corn:
  • Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    That seems like a shit load of money for two weeks holiday a year :?
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Options
    It does seem like a shit load of money for 2 weeks a year but it's a one time fee and you have it for life and we're only 30. Once we have kids it passes down to them when we die. The Hawaii trip they gave us would cost us roughly $10,000 i have looked into it before.

Don't make me second guess myself!! :lol:
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    guy at work was talking about selling off some of his time. he was saying he could basically pay for the place by selling his nights for a couple of years. he also got a bunch of bonus nights.

i think one of the philly crew has a time share
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Jukee wrote:
    It does seem like a shit load of money for 2 weeks a year but it's a one time fee and you have it for life and we're only 30. Once we have kids it passes down to them when we die. The Hawaii trip they gave us would cost us roughly $10,000 i have looked into it before.

Sorry I didn't mean to add doubt to your fire :oops:

My sister's ex husband bought a holiday cottage up the north of Scotland years ago,without telling her :? With the idea that they could always holiday there to cut down on cost of trips with a family.Within three years cabin fever hit always going to the same place,it was an albatross around their necks to get out of the contract and get it sold.

But then it was the north of Scotland,rain,midgies,rain,mist,midgies,rain,snow,rain and sometimes even sun with rain :lol:

I wouldn't want to take the same holiday at the same place for the rest of my life,even if there was a 'free' trip thrown in.
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    guy at work was talking about selling off some of his time. he was saying he could basically pay for the place by selling his nights for a couple of years. he also got a bunch of bonus nights.

Yeah the good thing about it is we can sell it at anytime, it's like we own a piece of real estate. Another plus is we can get family and friends vacations for really cheap ($200-$350 a week, depending on where they want to go) and we've talked about it and we've decided that if someone wants to use it we'll just charge them a little extra and that'll cover some of the cost of the maintenance fees.
  • Options
    stargirl69 wrote:
    Jukee wrote:

Sorry I didn't mean to add doubt to your fire :oops:

My sister's ex husband bought a holiday cottage up the north of Scotland years ago,without telling her :? With the idea that they could always holiday there to cut down on cost of trips with a family.Within three years cabin fever hit always going to the same place,it was an albatross around their necks to get out of the contract and get it sold.

But then it was the north of Scotland,rain,midgies,rain,mist,midgies,rain,snow,rain and sometimes even sun with rain :lol:

See that's the thing, we don't go to the same place every year. They have 220 resorts all over the world and you can go to any one of them. It's not the old school time share where if you bought one in Florida, you had to go there every year because if that was the case I agree with you 100%, I would definitely not have bought it!

I wouldn't want to take the same holiday at the same place for the rest of my life,even if there was a 'free' trip thrown in.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    that's me right here. got me a cabin w/ beach front property over looking the skunk. it rents for $247.50 a month. we have no running water. the outhouse is out back next to the mulberry tree and tire swing. gotta haul in our own water to wash dishes and to drink.

the catfish are jumpin.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    My FIL has had one for over 20 years and seems to like it a lot. I thought it sounded like a rip off when he got it but he loves to travel so it's been a good thing for him.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    Jukee wrote:

See that's the thing, we don't go to the same place every year. They have 220 resorts all over the world and you can go to any one of them. It's not the old school time share where if you bought one in Florida, you had to go there every year because if that was the case I agree with you 100%, I would definitely not have bought it!

That sounds like a better deal
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:
    that's me right here. got me a cabin w/ beach front property over looking the skunk. it rents for $247.50 a month. we have no running water. the outhouse is out back next to the mulberry tree and tire swing. gotta haul in our own water to wash dishes and to drink.

the catfish are jumpin.

Now that is my kind of holiday home
  • Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    81 wrote:

Why you putting my business in the street ? :lol:

I do have a timeshare in Ormond Beach FL right outside of Daytona

My FIL got me into it when my wife and I started dating

I use RCI also I've traded my weeks for multiple different vacations

Vegas,Mexico and SF... We're happy with it. Our resort is not that expensive to buy
    some Timeshares are ridiculous ...like Walt Disney World
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    81 wrote:

Why you putting my business in the street ? :lol:

I do have a timeshare in Ormond Beach FL right outside of Daytona

My FIL got me into it when my wife and I started dating

I use RCI also I've traded my weeks for multiple different vacations

Vegas,Mexico and SF... We're happy with it. Our resort is not that expensive to buy

I'm happy to hear you're happy with it. I think we will be too. $13,900 is a lot of money but our mortgage is cheap so it's not that big of a deal for us. I've alway's wanted to travel around the world and now we have an excuse to do it.
    some Timeshares are ridiculous ...like Walt Disney World
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,470
    I bought 1 in Palm Beach in 09, thought I was stupid for buying it, but glad I did. I never went on vacation prior to me buying this time share and have gone every yr since. One yr we took the 2 kids to Orlando and without adding in the spending money; airplane tickets, accomodations & rental car only cost m3 $1300, which I thought was pretty reasonable. Without the timeshare I think I would definately paid more.
    But I love the fact that I go away on vacation every yr and look forward to it.
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    chadwick wrote:

the catfish are jumpin.

Is it free for 2 weeks in August?
  • Options
    Claireack wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

the catfish are jumpin.

:D:clap: Which two weeks? If they are the same two weeks I have in mind we could share the cost :mrgreen:
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Don't know if you want to click the link I'm posting.

I'm fascinated by time shares and have considered them in the past. I'm a vacation nut, but overall I've been leery.

I think the best response so far has been the person who wouldn't take a vacation if not for the time share they own.

If someone needs that motivation and the time share affords that incentive, then it seems great.

Anyway here is on site/article that came up when I searched "timeshare good or bad"

http://www.timesharetrap.com/
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Some things I do know about timeshares...

-they are not an investment
    -impossible to sell
    -in many cases the contract expires after 30 years
    -the maintenance fees will keep going up and sometimes a lot more
    -nothing your told verbally is usually binding
    -you can still get cheap vacations without a timeshare...I know people who just book timeshare vacations...go for the 90 minute presentation and leave and enjoy a week of cheap vacation
    -the contracts should be checked by a lawyer
    -in many cases even Mexico many you can rescind your contract within a certain time frame
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    we got one a few years ago for a wedding present. it is right on the Gulf of mexico, in St Pete beach florida. I had gone there for years with my friend, and she found out about one for sale, then gave it to us when we married.

she deeded it to us, she didn't just give us that years usage as a wedding gift. it was nice when we got it but as the years have rolled on, and we've been there so often, that' we're kindof ready for something new.

the fee's were $550 when we got it 4 yrs ago and now they are $670. in this time of tight money (which it is for us) it's difficult to make the fees.

the usage week in in October and our bill comes the following Jan. So after we come back from vacation (broke n burnt) we make it thru Christmas then Jan comes and we have to chuck out that fee dough.

If we stayed at that place for that week it would cost us $958 so there is a savings. It's nice, after a few years you get to know everything, the newness kind of wears off and you can do different things while you're down there.

there is good and bad for owning and not owning. we just don't seem to have the money for it anymore. I feel bad, like selling the wedding gift, but....we have a camper and in general maybe go other places. if I had the recurring money every year and could pay it without worry, I would keep it just because she wanted us to have it. some years it's a blast and some years it stings to pay.

If you look on ebay, they are all over the place for really cheap!

if you're happy and you can afford it, that's all that matters. Mine is for sale $2000 asking, 42nd week of the year, usually falls 3rd week in Oct. this year is still open for use, just for the week is $600.

amy
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    stargirl69 wrote:
    Claireack wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

the catfish are jumpin.

:D:clap: Which two weeks? If they are the same two weeks I have in mind we could share the cost :mrgreen:

What a damn good idea. Going to Tenerife on the 28th, so it'll have to be before then. :D
  • Options
    Claireack wrote:
    stargirl69 wrote:

What a damn good idea. Going to Tenerife on the 28th, so it'll have to be before then. :D

Perfect I am back to work the 28th :D chadwick get cleaning you have two ladies arriving early August :lol: