Comic Books

Comments

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    intodeep wrote:
    tybird wrote:
    Approaching 19k comics, comic tpb's, graphic novels and hardcovers....I''m a little all over the comic book spectrum.....a lot of DC books (including Vertigo), some Marvels, some Avatar titles, some Dynamite books, the Robert E. Howard character stuff from Dark Horse and various others.

Been on an "Incredible Hulk" binge during the last six months or so....my Valentine's gift from my wife was six or seven issues of the Hulk b&w magazine from the late 1970s.
    That is a really cool present!
    I have a great wife.....my LCS, who I have been going to since 1988, just purchased a run of the magazines as part of a large Marvel collection....I also got "Incredible Hulk" Annual #1 as part of the gift from my wife.

As to Garth Ennis....what a great writer...."The Boys" is one of the best books going right now....too bad that's it going to end soon. I also love "Crossed" by Garth and others.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Jerome230Jerome230 Posts: 903
    I dunno...maybe it was the news several years back that Marvel was going to make a series of movies that culminated in the [first]Avengers movie, that refueled my love for comic books. In about April of 2012, I had about 100 comic books stashed away and collecting dust. I decided to look up the prices on some of them. Not many were worth much, but there were a select few Amazing Spider-Man issues that went upward of $100, in the condition they were in.

Fast-forward to October 2013...I have about 4 or 5 nearly-full longboxes of comic books. I have several titles that I regularly buy from my LCS (local comic shop) through their box subscription service. My wife has been (understandably) confused, but somewhat supportive, in my renewed hobby. However, we made a deal: if I am to buy any comic deemed expensive, I will have to sell my own comics to fund such endeavor - become a "sellector", if you will.

Case in point: After the Marvel's Avengers panel at this year's San Diego Comic-Con, news broke out that the main villain for the upcoming Avengers 2 movie was to be a robot named Ultron. I dug into my stash, and realized that not only did I have a copy of Avengers #55, the first [full] appearance of Ultron...I had two copies. The very next day, I decided to try my luck, and auctioned off one copy on that auction site we all love to hate, and made off with $174.50...understandably, my mind was blown. I went out and bought reader copies of Amazing Spider-Man #121 and #122 (featuring the death of Gwen Stacy, and death of the Green Goblin, respectively). I was hooked.

I'm glad I found this thread, before making one of my own...I'd like to keep this thread going, to see if there are others on here who share a passion of comics as I do.
    Ed...buddy...pal...stay true to your word and play Boise again.

Seattle, 12.7.93
    Salt Lake, 6.21.98
    Mountain View, 10.30.99
    Mountain View, 10.31.99
    Boise, 11.3.00
    Portland, 9.26.09
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    I agree, Ennis is a strong writer. Preacher was great, and his run on Punisher wasn't bad at all.

Preacher is great! Has anyone read CHEW?
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    STAYSEA wrote:
    I agree, Ennis is a strong writer. Preacher was great, and his run on Punisher wasn't bad at all.

Preacher is great! Has anyone read CHEW?
    Chew is on my list to read. I met the author in the airport on my way to San Diego Comic Con over the summer. Super nice guy. I had no clue who he was. He started teh conversation with me. I looked over at his lap top and saw he was writing something to do with Batman. Eventually he mentioned he was writing dective comics and he writes Chew.

Very cool guy.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,191
    I collected years ago. The entire story line when Batman had his back broke by Bane and then
    the new batman etc..

Also the the cross over series with Spawn and Batman.

I have several obscure comics as well Lady Death, X, the Patriot..

still have them
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • Jerome230Jerome230 Posts: 903
    I'd love to get into Chew. I usually try to go for buying the original issues but #1 is a little too steep in price for my blood. I'll settle for the trade paperback.
    Ed...buddy...pal...stay true to your word and play Boise again.

Seattle, 12.7.93
    Salt Lake, 6.21.98
    Mountain View, 10.30.99
    Mountain View, 10.31.99
    Boise, 11.3.00
    Portland, 9.26.09
  • Not a huge comic book fan per se, (but I am a huge book addict) and I just want to say that I LOVED the Sandman books by vertigo (neil gaiman). They were really well written, insightful and interesting. I heard he's writing some more Sandman now so I can't wait to get hold of it, whenever it comes out!
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

Not a huge comic book fan per se, (but I am a huge book addict) and I just want to say that I LOVED the Sandman books by vertigo (neil gaiman). They were really well written, insightful and interesting. I heard he's writing some more Sandman now so I can't wait to get hold of it, whenever it comes out!
    Oct 30 the first one comes out.

Sandman is my favorite comic ever.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • intodeep wrote:
    Not a huge comic book fan per se, (but I am a huge book addict) and I just want to say that I LOVED the Sandman books by vertigo (neil gaiman). They were really well written, insightful and interesting. I heard he's writing some more Sandman now so I can't wait to get hold of it, whenever it comes out!
    Oct 30 the first one comes out.

Sandman is my favorite comic ever.

Ooh sooner than I thought then, I thought it would be next year at least. That gaiman is so prolific...

thanks!
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• ST279453ST279453 Posts: 195
    My comics addiction has ebbed and flowed over the years. Haven't read much lately but I easily have 20 or so long boxes. I miss them from time to time but after a little time away I'm not sure where to pick back up.
  • I've collected since I was a kid (I still have complete sets of all of the Marvel card series/X-Men cards/Marvel Masterpiece sets from the 90's). I never read the comics I had until recently. Once I started I was hooked. I have now read all of the Walking Dead until current, Fables/Jack of Fables/Fairest until current, all of DMZ, all of Y the Last Man, American Vampire, The Amazing Spiderman from Amazing Fantasy 1 til ASM #75, a bunch of X-Men, Avengers, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, Wolverine, and lots more Marvel stuff.
    I also enjoy Revival, The Unwritten, Saga & Sex Criminals.
    Comics are my new addiction. But as for the Marvel stuff I have to read it from the beginning or I feel like I'm going to miss so much of the story...(I read the digital versions just so you know, I don't have millions to buy all of these issues).
    Anybody know of any other comics that I should check out?
    "Not only do you have sunshine but you have better thunder...fuckers." -Ed, Phx 10/21/00
    PJ * 10/21/00 - Phx * 6/7/03 - Phx * 6/29/06 - Milwaukee * 6/30/06 - Milwaukee * 11/19/13 - Phx *
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *
  • Bump this up...or are comic book not popular among Pearl Jam fans...
    "Not only do you have sunshine but you have better thunder...fuckers." -Ed, Phx 10/21/00
    PJ * 10/21/00 - Phx * 6/7/03 - Phx * 6/29/06 - Milwaukee * 6/30/06 - Milwaukee * 11/19/13 - Phx *
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    I collected as a Teen, not sure where they all are now. Some Box somewhere I guess.

Wolverine is my fave, Always loved superman/batman, big fan of Green Lantern.

Recently I did find some old comic cards I collected in the 90s :)

(how do I post a pic from my phone onto the forums?)
  • Chief BroomChief Broom Detroit Posts: 2,036
    I still have two "long Boxes" filled with mostly Sam Kieth stuff. I have some of the original Akira comics and some older X-Men too.
    Sam Kieth fills the majority of them though. Good stuff!
    MLMF Det
  • I started reading the Superior Spiderman and Foes & Team Up (along with Scarlet Spider and Superior Carnage) and really enjoying those. Anybody else reading those?
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    i got this one as a little kid. i still have it, but it is not in that great of shape. anybody know if it is worth anything??

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited February 2014
    Still have my Tarzan comic collection. Gold Key issues up to the DC issues and Marvel issues. Not even sure how many I have, but there are a ton of them- all well read. Haven't looked through them for over 3 decades, but I managed to hang on to them.

My other favourites were Sgt. Rock, Kid Colt Outlaw, and Conan.

My two 'pals' back in the day... one liked the Incredible Hulk and the other liked Spiderman. We shared reading each other's comics in tree forts, playing Risk, and playing baseball during the summer. Good old elementary days back in the mid 70s!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • A lot of people talking about the comics they read as a kid...anybody currently read any?
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    I stopped reading comics years ago, but collected for most of my childhood. Have probably the first 75 issues of wolverine, lots of spiderman, ghost rider, etc. Towards the end I got really into Image Comics. Very cool stories with great art. Also enjoy the 4 issue "Marvels" series. This thread makes me want to dust off the boxes and start reading again!
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • I collected when I was young but never read them. Started reading recently and got hooked. Its cheesy stuff sometimes but good fun.
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *
    I have read the first five tradepaperbacks of CHEW and I've really enjoyed it.
    I have the first few of Fables I may read them next.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Chew is really good and Fables blew my mind...so inventive while using old stuff that we all know but putting a crazy spin on it all.
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    I was a comic nerd from the 90s ... collecting mainly the Batman-related comics (Knightfall through No Man's Land) and X-Men books around the same time period. My local shop shut down, and I went without comics until Batman Begins, and then started getting right back into things.

About two years ago, though, I went off the monthly floppies. I realized I enjoyed the act of reading a storyline more than collecting the individual issues, so now I'm strictly a trade fan. I have about 7 long boxes as it is, and there's just less hassle with putting the trades on a bookcase ... no bags, no boards, no ads. Plus, it's cheaper in the long run!

I haven't read any of the superhero stuff since the New 52, and I'm a bit leery of the reboot (as fans were after the original Crisis, I'm sure). I have a bunch of books I haven't read but am waiting to: 100 Bullets, Locke & Key, The Unwritten, etc.

I recently read Infinite Vacation, and that blew my mind. So good.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • erebuserebus Posts: 549
    Just started collecting. I am in the early stages, so picking up lots of back issues that are fairly reasonably priced. Searching them out is pretty fun (so far) and I enjoy reading the continuing storylines.
    I am thinking I should give myself a monthly allowance so I don’t go too crazy and can spread things out

GI Joe is what I started with. Was not a serious collector at all at that time. I had some original early Marvel ones but my parents sold them at a yard sale while I was at sports camp one summer.

I just started collecting the IDW version/continuation stating at 155.5
    man it brings back a lot of memories, maybe I’m trying to recapture my youth lol

when I first started considering collecting I looked on EBay and saw a complete set of the original Marvel run for about $1800.00 CDN. I thought, no way am I spending that much on COMICS!!! Lol
    realize now that I probably should have bought it lol

would like to get in on a newer comic from the beginning 
    Any suggestions?

1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    erebus said:
    Just started collecting. I am in the early stages, so picking up lots of back issues that are fairly reasonably priced. Searching them out is pretty fun (so far) and I enjoy reading the continuing storylines.
    I am thinking I should give myself a monthly allowance so I don’t go too crazy and can spread things out

GI Joe is what I started with. Was not a serious collector at all at that time. I had some original early Marvel ones but my parents sold them at a yard sale while I was at sports camp one summer.

I just started collecting the IDW version/continuation stating at 155.5
    man it brings back a lot of memories, maybe I’m trying to recapture my youth lol

when I first started considering collecting I looked on EBay and saw a complete set of the original Marvel run for about $1800.00 CDN. I thought, no way am I spending that much on COMICS!!! Lol
    realize now that I probably should have bought it lol

would like to get in on a newer comic from the beginning 
    Any suggestions?

Umbrella Academy.
    Chew
    Deadly Class
    Something is Killing The Children

Give those a try.

I can't say enough about Chew.  Such a great comic.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    What Batman villains have Frank Miller drawn in his novels/comics?

The Joker is in The Dark Knight Returns, that I know.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

Superman and GWB until he punked out after 9/11.
    I SAW PEARL JAM

Two Face.

He also did Wolverine if I'm not mistaken?
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867

Im guessing catwoman too
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Im guessing catwoman too
    Borderline villian.