Options

RS readers want PJ to play Super Bowl

Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
edited February 2012 in The Porch
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/photos/readers-poll-who-should-play-the-super-bowl-next-year-20120208/3-pearl-jam-0154177

:lol:

Didn't see a thread on it but seen it on The Rolling Stone homepage. Finished 3rd on the list for those interested.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    No thank you.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    No thank you.

Yeah, I think it'd be very, very weird.
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,071
    No thank you.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    eladdereladder Posts: 414
    im wiping my ass w a super bowl program while i post this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IcZ2yBcvFQ
    He was ok but wondering about wandering
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,023
    No thank you.
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    not gonna get sucked into this conversation again...
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    no
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    if this ever happens, just play "Reach Down" & let Mike solo for 10 minutes. :thumbup:

to be clear, i hope this doesn't happen.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    I seriously do not understand why you wouldn't want to see this. It would be great to see your favourite band killing it at the Super Bowl.
    Is it commercial? Yes. But who cares. We aren't all young kids with that us against the world angst any more.

It would be cool to see them do three killer songs LIVE on the biggest stage in the world.
    Listen to the Sadies.

"Who's better than Eddie Vedder?" - Oranje by Orson Corson
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I seriously do not understand why you wouldn't want to see this. It would be great to see your favourite band killing it at the Super Bowl.
    Is it commercial? Yes. But who cares. We aren't all young kids with that us against the world angst any more.

It would be cool to see them do three killer songs LIVE on the biggest stage in the world.

I think Pearl Jam cares...IMO they don't seem to be into the 'commercialization' aspect. You don't see them doing Coke commercials, or promoting some big name corporate commercial product. Looking at the list of previous performers...I just don't see how they would fit into that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Su ... time_shows
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    pjradio wrote:
    not gonna get sucked into this conversation again...

:lol:
  • Options
    Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    4 Song Setlist:

Lukin'>Sweet Lew>Out of My Mind>Hummus
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • Options
    I'm no hater to the OP, and of course if they chose to do it, I'd be fine with it and would of course watch. I just personally think there's no way in hell they ever would. Just sort of goes against their long-held principles. They aren't really the type of band that would want to play the medleys required for it. I think one of their close pals said it best:

"Ain't singin' for Pepsi
    Ain't singin' for Coke...

Ain't singin' for Miller
    Don't sing for Bud..."
    1/95 DC 7/95 Chicago Tor Tol Cha 96 AlpV I II Chi St L KC 98 BSB I II 99 Phx Vegas Fresno SBern 00 BSB I II 01 (met ed) Vegas Phx Fargo St. Paul Chicago Alpine V Indy Col Virg Phi I II MSG I II (got on DVD!) 03 Calg 05 Clev Vegas LA I II SBar 06 Lon Dus Cop Nij Bel 07 Phi I II DC MSG I II Har BOS I II 08, LA3/4, SD '09, MSG I II '10, Missoula, London ONT, Wrigley, SD, LA1/2, Portland. Wrigley '16 I and II. 
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,471
    I loved that Phish was on that list :lol:

Now that would be a half time show for the ages.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,773
    I would only be in favor of the idea if they were allowed to play a two hour set at the end of which the band and stage crew would run to both ends of the field and tear down the goal posts.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    I'm no hater to the OP, and of course if they chose to do it, I'd be fine with it and would of course watch. I just personally think there's no way in hell they ever would. Just sort of goes against their long-held principles. They aren't really the type of band that would want to play the medleys required for it. I think one of their close pals said it best:

"Ain't singin' for Pepsi

Ain't singin' for Miller
    Don't sing for Bud..."

You are not hating on me. I am opposed. As I said, I posted it for people interested as it was on RollingStone.com and referring to PJ. That's all. :)
  • Options
    Pearl Jam at the Super Bowl would be amazing, I would love if they let the guys go live with no delay. Hopefully the full 31 minutes. Reading the posts most people are against it, for me Live music on television is a good thing, Love SNL through the years whenever they had a great rock band, I remember being with a group of friends and being so excited the first time Nirvana was on SNL. I would love Pearl Jam to take over Saturday Night Live and have an hour and half concert, no commercials.
    Paul Bowdring
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    You know what? I would love it... I would love to see Pearl Jam play nearly everywhere... And on the biggest stage? Sure.... And the only thing I would hope they do would be play their hits. So it keeps everyone (maybe except for hardcore fans :lol: ) happy.

So Fixer, Betterman, Daughter, Alive, Jeremy, Given to fly... then yellow ledbetter with star spangled banner to close...

As much as I would love them to put in others, it would just leave the rest of the world bitching...

So I am prepared to cop some flack, take aim people :D
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    sometimesicringesometimesicringe Vancouver, BC Posts: 86
    not gonna happen anyway
    the music is pre-recorded the day before and played over the loud speakers of the venue...it would be all lip-syncing, and none of the instruments would be plugged in...
    even Bruce admitted after they had done that...

pretty sure pearl jam wouldn't go for that...
    although, I've been wrong in the past concerning their commercial endeavours...
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    not gonna happen anyway
    the music is pre-recorded the day before and played over the loud speakers of the venue...it would be all lip-syncing, and none of the instruments would be plugged in...
    even Bruce admitted after they had done that...

pretty sure pearl jam wouldn't go for that...
    although, I've been wrong in the past concerning their commercial endeavours...

If I knew this before I made my previous post then I would say no...

No way they would go for this...
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    geckogecko Posts: 1,712
    Tom K wrote:
    4 Song Setlist:

That is perfect.
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    mfc2006 wrote:
    if this ever happens, just play "Reach Down" & let Mike solo for 10 minutes. :thumbup:

"A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options

"Ain't singin' for Pepsi

Ain't singin' for Miller
    Don't sing for Bud..."

Umm.. TARGET
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,092
    mfc2006 wrote:

+1000
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    not a good idea for all parties interested....I could see it turning into a "Singles" party and the entire band being wasted. "Fuck NBC! FUck you! Don't be violent!" :lol:
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options

"Ain't singin' for Pepsi

Ain't singin' for Miller
    Don't sing for Bud..."

Umm.. TARGET
    ZING!!!!!!!! i was thinking the same thing
    those bold boys,and there beautiful boats
  • Options
    Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    YLed2 wrote:
    not a good idea for all parties interested....I could see it turning into a "Singles" party and the entire band being wasted. "Fuck NBC! FUck you! Don't be violent!" :lol:

Thumbs up.. I like that idea also..
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • Options
    gecko wrote:
    Tom K wrote:
    4 Song Setlist:

That is perfect.

:lol: Love it :lol:
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    YLed2 wrote:

If they did a Singles-style show I'd be up for PJ doing the Super Bowl.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,559
    I'd be all for them playing the Super Bowl, and all of you would watch so even if you don't admit it publicly, you want them to play it too.