Foster the People....

Comments

• thefixer9 wrote:
    This band and their one big song just suck and are annoying! :evil:

All the other kids with there pumped up kicks better run better run faster than my bullet

i used to sing faster than my pocket and id wonder how that was possible. then i stopped caring.
    :lol::lol:
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    They simply don't rock.
    None of these contemporary bands rock hard like the bands of the 90's.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    They simply don't rock.

I'll take you to task here: I wasn't too big of a fan of Cage the Elephant... until I saw them live. Holy SHIT! Those cats are rock reborn! I've seen them open for The Black Keys and Foo Fighters - both times they blew me away. Any time they go on tour, I'm buying a ticket. Outstanding!
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    i think they are pretty terrible. but i also hate vampire weekend and arcade fire. must be this genre of rock that I don't get or have gotten too old and cynical to appreciate. :lol:

To each his own!
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    i think they are pretty terrible. but i also hate vampire weekend and arcade fire. must be this genre of rock that I don't get or have gotten too old and cynical to appreciate. :lol:

To each his own!

This genre of POP.

Hehehe
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    They simply don't rock.

you need to expand your listening world. your own country has some brilliant bands. and jesus man you live in melbourne... thats like the epicentre for oz rock.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    They simply don't rock.

you need to expand your listening world. your own country has some brilliant bands. and jesus man you live in melbourne... thats like the epicentre for oz rock.

I'm stuck in my 90's bubble lol
    I wish Aussie rock would be as big as U.S / U.K.
    No Aussie band has ever changed a generation or ushered in a new movement/sound :(
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    They simply don't rock.

That's not a bad thing but it's a lot of fun searching around for some other music. It doesn't need to "rock hard".
    I like many accoustic slow songs.
    Not saying I hate anything that 'does not rock'.
    But overall these contemporary bands are American Idol with a band.
    I like many accoustic slow songs.
    Not saying I hate anything that 'does not rock'.
    But overall these contemporary bands are American Idol with a band.

True, I have to do some searching. I've discovered some pretty cool music thanks to a local radio station here called The Current.

Give it a listen sometime, maybe something will spark your interest.

You can stream worldwide...

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/radio/ ... e_current/
    Cool thanks.
    Cool thanks.

Certainly.
  • pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    They simply don't rock.

Thanks, we do have some great bands and we're lucky living in Melbourne, get the cream of rock bands out here. I'm just contemplating seeing Soundgarden, for example. But you're right, plenty of good home grown Aussie rock, much of it underrated.
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    djklambake wrote:
    They simply don't rock.

I'll take you to task here: I wasn't too big of a fan of Cage the Elephant... until I saw them live. Holy SHIT! Those cats are rock reborn! I've seen them open for The Black Keys and Foo Fighters - both times they blew me away. Any time they go on tour, I'm buying a ticket. Outstanding!

I agree, CtE fuckin' rocks. Hard. Their live show is amazing. Their energy blows my mind and takes me back the early 90s. Definitely a band I would travel to see :thumbup:
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
    djklambake wrote:
    They simply don't rock.

I agree, CtE fuckin' rocks. Hard. Their live show is amazing. Their energy blows my mind and takes me back the early 90s. Definitely a band I would travel to see :thumbup:

Really? I need to check them out. "Ain't No Rest for the Wicked" was overplayed on the radio and I wanted to destroy the band. Guess I have to dig deeper.
  • samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Really? I need to check them out. "Ain't No Rest for the Wicked" was overplayed on the radio and I wanted to destroy the band. Guess I have to dig deeper.
    Definitely check out their 2011 release Thank You, Happy Birthday if you haven't already. That album blew me away and is one of my favorite 2011 releases!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • I've seen them 3 times. Love them
    They simply don't rock.

I wish Aussie rock would be as big as U.S / U.K.
    No Aussie band has ever changed a generation or ushered in a new movement/sound :(

what do mean by 'as big as'?

if you really want to find oz bands stay away from commercial radio and listen to triple j. theyre out there. aside from pj what kind of music do you listen to?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    samjam wrote:
    Definitely check out their 2011 release Thank You, Happy Birthday if you haven't already. That album blew me away and is one of my favorite 2011 releases!

Yikes... Didn't care for it at all.
    what do mean by 'as big as'?

if you really want to find oz bands stay away from commercial radio and listen to triple j. theyre out there. aside from pj what kind of music do you listen to?

Like big as Pearl Jam.
    Triple J is not what it used to be, it is rubbish now, there are 2 other stations in Melb that are better.
    I listen to a lot of music, punk, alt rock, 60's rock, some hip hop, some metal.
  • what are the 2 stations in melb better than triple J?

Why does a band need to be "big" in order to matter... the bands that matter to me aren't always massively successful, just have music that I feel
    I don't mean to offend anyone, a lot of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... that said for most of you I'm a stranger on a computer on the other side of the world, don't give me that sort of power!
    what are the 2 stations in melb better than triple J?

Why does a band need to be "big" in order to matter... the bands that matter to me aren't always massively successful, just have music that I feel

Ok let's not say massive, let's say have a large loyal fanbase and are huge in that regard, I don't care for album sales or awards.
    Sliverchair are the best Aussie band ever IMO.

Stations:

PBS 106.7FM
    Student Youth Network 90.7FM
  • Will give them a listen.

Top Aussie bands of recent times (on music alone)
    Magic Dirt
    The Jaynes
    I don't mean to offend anyone, a lot of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... that said for most of you I'm a stranger on a computer on the other side of the world, don't give me that sort of power!

Ok let's not say massive, let's say have a large loyal fanbase and are huge in that regard, I don't care for album sales or awards.

Stations:

PBS 106.7FM

you sure you want a band with a large fanbase?? i prefer to see 'my' bands in more intimate surroundings. i certainly dont want to have to deal with 10000 people.

you know the gig i missed last year that i really felt was the butterfly effect at the annandale. they played 2 nights there in october. i was overseas, so unfortunately i missed out. but i know what those gigs wouldve been like cause ive seen TBE before and ive seen bands at the annandale before. the thought of them doing their thing in front of hundreds of sweaty rocking fans shoulder to shoulder at my fave live venue is what will sustain me until i do get to see them live again.

do you know children collide? the vasco era? calling all cars? any band ian kennys involved in? i think i read you like acoustic stuff as well.. have you heard gareth liddiards solo album? how about dan sultan? shane nicholson? dan kelly? australia has a good healthy scene and some of the best live bands in the world. theyre out there.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

Stations:

PBS 106.7FM

you sure you want a band with a large fanbase?? i prefer to see 'my' bands in more intimate surroundings. i certainly dont want to have to deal with 10000 people.

you know the gig i missed last year that i really felt was the butterfly effect at the annandale. they played 2 nights there in october. i was overseas, so unfortunately i missed out. but i know what those gigs wouldve been like cause ive seen TBE before and ive seen bands at the annandale before. the thought of them doing their thing in front of hundreds of sweaty rocking fans shoulder to shoulder at my fave live venue is what will sustain me until i do get to see them live again.

do you know children collide? the vasco era? calling all cars? any band ian kennys involved in? i think i read you like acoustic stuff as well.. have you heard gareth liddiards solo album? how about dan sultan? shane nicholson? dan kelly? australia has a good healthy scene and some of the best live bands in the world. theyre out there.

I love seeing local bands and living close to Minneapolis helps that a lot. The local music scene is awesome. Going to see a band called Friends Like These on Friday. Small club and it only is going to set me back 8 USD for a ticket.

Stations:

PBS 106.7FM

I haven't checked them out.
    Yeah I like intimate, gentle, reflective accoustic songs.
    I want an Aussie band that is recognised hence why I said large fan base.
    I haven't checked them out.
    Yeah I like intimate, gentle, reflective accoustic songs.
    I want an Aussie band that is recognised hence why I said large fan base.

why is it is important that they be recognised??? surely all that matters is they get your rocks off. who cares how many other peeps listen to them.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

I love seeing local bands and living close to Minneapolis helps that a lot. The local music scene is awesome. Going to see a band called Friends Like These on Friday. Small club and it only is going to set me back 8 USD for a ticket.

tbh the music scene here in sydney has gone down the toilet somewhat in the past 20 odd years. there arent the venues available now that there used to be.back then it wouldnt be unusual for local bands(and by that i mean australian bands) to play 3 or 4 times at various venues around the city. and wed follow them around the city. now were lucky if a band plays a couple of times a year. also back then there was an attitude of proving yourself on the local circuit... a byproduct of which was you ended up being a tight well oiled rock machine. nowadays it just seems bands(not all bands tho) want to fly off to brooklyn or the UK first chance they get.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

tbh the music scene here in sydney has gone down the toilet somewhat in the past 20 odd years. there arent the venues available now that there used to be.back then it wouldnt be unusual for local bands(and by that i mean australian bands) to play 3 or 4 times at various venues around the city. and wed follow them around the city. now were lucky if a band plays a couple of times a year. also back then there was an attitude of proving yourself on the local circuit... a byproduct of which was you ended up being a tight well oiled rock machine. nowadays it just seems bands(not all bands tho) want to fly off to brooklyn or the UK first chance they get.

Shit that sucks. It's weird if there isn't a local show every weekend here.

Shit that sucks. It's weird if there isn't a local show every weekend here.

oh dont get me wrong there are plenty of shows here, every day of the week.. tis just theyre not always by musicians i listen to.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say