Options

Message to the band and all who love PJ...

mkleffnermkleffner Posts: 3
edited December 2011 in Lost Dogs
I just watched PJ 20 again. As usual, it gets me thinking about how much PJ means to me. For some, that may sound weird. But, it's not.

I am 36. PJ started getting big when I was in late high school. I think most of us remember our high school years, and I remember sitting on the porch steps of a friend's house talking about attending PJ's concert at the University of Kansas' "Day on the Hill." We didn't make it, but I remember talking about it. Those were the early years.

When I went to college, I remember waiting outside Atomic Records in Milwaukee at midnight for the release of Vs. and Vitalogy with a great friend to buy the album. I also remember "porching" with that same great friend, which meant re-enacting the MTV Unplugged rendition of Porch, almost always when we had too much to drink. I also remember when I changed my major and gave up my first career of becoming a doctor. After giving up that dream, I put on Black and started to cry (you can guess which lyrics prompted this) because I would not do something I really hoped to do. It was during college that I attended my first two PJ concerts -- both alongside Lake Michigan in Milwaukee. They were awesome; I probably have tapes (aka "cassettes") of them somewhere.

Then, I went to law school. I associate the albums that came out at that time (Yield & Binaural) with that time period. During law school, I met my wife. She loves PJ too.

After law school, I got married. After 2 years, we had our first child -- a beautiful baby girl. Before she was born, a doctor told us she was not developing appropriately in the womb, and we should abort her. I have vivid memories of being out of town while my wife was receiving this advice and telling my wife via cell phone from hundreds of miles away that "maybe we should do that to move on." Luckily, my wife had mother's intuition and didn't listen to me because, about 8 months later, we had a beautiful (and healthy) baby girl who is now 7. When she was born, "Lost Dogs" had come out, and Hard to Imagine was a favorite song of mine. My wife and I listened to that song en route to the hospital to deliver our first girl. Since that time, Hard to Imagine has become "Claire's Song." I hope that, if/when she gets married, that will be our daddy/daughter dance at her wedding.

We had our second girl (another beauty) four years ago. Over that time, I have shared PJ's music with both of them. They love it, and that makes me happy. I think it makes them happy, too. When I play Just Breathe in the car and can hear a 7 and 4 year-old singing along, it is wonderful. Sometimes we also turn it up a notch and rage to WMA or other (child appropriate) PJ songs. It is special.

I think the point is this: PJ has been there for many of the most influential, developmental, and important times of my life. I truly appreciate that and realize how much PJ has meant to me over the years. That may sound corny to some, but it is true.

Thanks, PJ. I hope you go for another 20, if not more. You mean a lot to me.

MJK
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mkleffner wrote:
    After law school, I got married. After 2 years, we had our first child -- a beautiful baby girl. Before she was born, a doctor told us she was not developing appropriately in the womb, and we should abort her. I have vivid memories of being out of town while my wife was receiving this advice and telling my wife via cell phone from hundreds of miles away that "maybe we should do that to move on." Luckily, my wife had mother's intuition and didn't listen to me because, about 8 months later, we had a beautiful (and healthy) baby girl who is now 7. When she was born, "Lost Dogs" had come out, and Hard to Imagine was a favorite song of mine. My wife and I listened to that song en route to the hospital to deliver our first girl. Since that time, Hard to Imagine has become "Claire's Song." I hope that, if/when she gets married, that will be our daddy/daughter dance at her wedding.

This is beautiful and it made me cry. As the father of an almost 3 yr old daughter, i love my little angel more than anything i can fathom. This makes me so happy.

I hope Hard To Imagine is your Daddy/Daughter song at her wedding too.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    Let me add:

None of that is corny. For the last 20 years, for so, so many of us here, this band has found it's way into our souls. I really can't imagine what my life would be like without their musical influence.

I've cried at shows. I've cried listening to songs. I've cried over certain lyrics. I've lived this music since i was 12 years old. I have a tattoo on my right shoulder of the stickman, and the words 'I'm Still Alive' above it, w/my alcohol sobriety date underneath it. (9/6/06)

We're all right there with you.

Edit: LOL! I forgot it's my avatar!! Hahaha
    -Chris
    Male, 34

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
  • Options
    AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    Music is the soundtrack of our lives. Now if I could just get the darn thing on vinyl!
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • Options
    appieappie Posts: 1,441
    Moving story my friend,but so cool to read that the music has so much power for all of us..
    Its imo the gas for my engine and reading story's like yours makes my motor running faster..

Thanx for sharing your opinion and story..

Today i am gonna watch pj20 with my dearest girlfriend who is also a huge fan and she has a troubled life cause she has Borderline syndrom and was beyond greef when i was away for the festival and she cant hear and/or watch Come back without her eyes filled with tears..Yeah we all have our songs that has a powerfull meaning in one way or the other...
    Pearl Jam 4 live
    h8 2 w8 for concerts
  • Options
    Just beautiful...
    CAN'T KEEP CRAZY MARY IN MY TREE NO WAY NOT FOR YOU. ALL THOSE YESTERDAY JEREMY is ALONE, SAD with RATS & BUGS it's HARD TO IMAGINE a JEREMY a BETTER MAN.
    LIFE WASTED, BLOOD on the PORCH, LAST KISS is a WISHLIST DEEP DOWN NOTHING AS IT SEEMS WHY GO COME BACK ALIVE SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE and SMILE.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    Just beautiful...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    JR2323JR2323 Posts: 82
    Great Story!! I can relate to of your life !! KEEP ROCKIN PJ
    10/8/00. 6/15/03. 9/17/11

JR
  • Options
    kellanazziekellanazzie Posts: 1,484
    I have a lump in my throat...very touching & beautiful life story. Just sat on my couch the other day with my 71 yr old Mom, my daughter & 2 Grandkids & watched EV Water on the Road...was a great afternoon...we're so lucky a man received a tape one day & the magic began....
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    awesome story...absolutely beautiful
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    DAMONDAMON Posts: 256
    In 1993 went to a friends party and a "friend of a friend" was playing some of his music that was ok just not party
    music. Chris the guy's house we were at screamed at me to take my turn at dj'n, the mood began to rise everyone was happy including a very cute young lady that approached and said I had a great taste in music....jump to Dec. 2011 Happily Married sitting next to me now. Cant even count how many concerts we have been to or when a song plays on the radio makes me think of "remember that time"..... :D:D:D
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. In this Holiday season, let's keep it all in perspective.

Happy Holidays, and best wishes.
  • Options
    fantastic story, and it mirrors my life. Love it. thanks for sharing friend.

one small story of my own: my wife and I travelled to Fargo in 2003 to see the band on the Riot Act tour. Much to my surprise (as I wasn't yet on the net), the show started with Arc. I cried. My wife hugged me. She knew how special a moment that was for me. It had been almost 10 years since I saw the band last. I told a friend of mine that this happened. He laughed his head off that I cried at a show. I was not embarassed. I felt sad for the sunuvagun for not being able to feel the same as I felt.

This band moves me on a daily basis.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    Very moving writing. "PJ has been there for many of the most influential, developmental, and important times of my life" - I relate very much to this too. Thanks
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    fantastic story, and it mirrors my life. Love it. thanks for sharing friend.

one small story of my own: my wife and I travelled to Fargo in 2003 to see the band on the Riot Act tour. Much to my surprise (as I wasn't yet on the net), the show started with Arc. I cried. My wife hugged me. She knew how special a moment that was for me. It had been almost 10 years since I saw the band last. I told a friend of mine that this happened. He laughed his head off that I cried at a show. I was not embarassed. I felt sad for the sunuvagun for not being able to feel the same as I felt.

This band moves me on a daily basis.

I don't give a shit if someone laughs at me. And you're right, i feel sorry for them. The emotions i get from their music and especially their live shows lifts me to another atmospthere.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
  • Options
    Amen brotha. I doubt there's too many people on this forum who haven't been profoundly touched or moved by PJ's music in some special way. Music heals, music saves, music inspires, music lifts us above the pain, suffering, desperation, depression, lonliness, boredom, insanity, confusion, self-doubt, etc..., etc...

Life may be purgatory but hell hath no Pearl Jam.
    ~~~~~~~Vinyl For Sale (shipping costs in North America included)~~~~~~~
    The Who - Phases Box Set. Ltd. Ed. All 9 studio albums w/ Moon (11 discs) $200
    ^discogs entry link^
    Peter Gabriel - Up 200 gram 'Classic Records' audiophile version. Sealed. $225
    ^discogs entry link^
    Van Halen - I 180 gram Remastered 'DCC Compact Classic' version. Ltd. Ed. (#53!). Sealed. $175
    ^discogs entry link^
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    I would have love porching with you and your friend, and I was also a law student, some day I'll finish...

as someone said, PJ, the soundtrack of our lives...

I was moved by your story

it's been a long while since I last shed a tear
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    GratefulJamGratefulJam Posts: 1,782
    Nice work!!
    Let me add:

None of that is corny. For the last 20 years, for so, so many of us here, this band has found it's way into our souls. I really can't imagine what my life would be like without their musical influence.

I've cried at shows. I've cried listening to songs. I've cried over certain lyrics. I've lived this music since i was 12 years old. I have a tattoo on my right shoulder of the stickman, and the words 'I'm Still Alive' above it, w/my alcohol sobriety date underneath it. (9/6/06)

We're all right there with you.

Edit: LOL! I forgot it's my avatar!! Hahaha
    "thru extensive negotiations we managed to get the curfew moved back..... we still don't have any time to fu&k around...."

LA II 06, SB 06, SF III 06, Kokua 07 Ed and Jack, Grant Park 07, EV Berk1 & LA 1 (nice job 10c), 08 DC, MSG1 &2, VH1 rocks, EV Bos II, EV NYC I & II, Milwaukee, EV Maui, EV Hono I & II, Chicago 09 I & II, LA 09 I & II & IV, SD 09 (my girlfriend hit the lottery, best concert of my life 10C rocks)KC 2010, STL 2010, Hartford. Boston, and MSG I & II "who goes around skinning cats anyway", PJ 20 2011 , Portland, Spokane, Seattle LA 2013, Home Shows + Missoula (fatal 👌)
  • Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    great stories all

my friends barely get the travelling, tribute band shows, poster collecting... never mind the crying like nancy kerrigan ;)

:mrgreen:
  • Options
    great stories all

my friends barely get the travelling, tribute band shows, poster collecting... never mind the crying like nancy kerrigan ;)

:mrgreen:

You cried like Nancy Kerrigan??? :shock: :shock:
    -Chris
    Male, 34

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
  • Options
    This gave me chills. Your story is so beautiful, and easy to relate to!

My fiance and I will be getting married in 2013. We'll be playing PJ at the ceremony. Everyone says we should pick another 'aisle song' but, we can't imagine tying the knot any other way.

Their music has been the soundtrack to our lives too...

Cheers to another 20+ years!
  • Options
    Jam.Head wrote:

My fiance and I will be getting married in 2013. We'll be playing PJ at the ceremony. Everyone says we should pick another 'aisle song' but, we can't imagine tying the knot any other way.

Your wedding...your way...thats awesome!! What song? My husband & I had Led Zeppelin- All of My Love & Joe Cocker - You Are So Beautiful... :D
  • Options
    StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    Gorgeous Post!

I love that we are all so moved by the music and the men and that it doesn't embarrass us in the least.

Music speaks to our soul

and Pearl Jam music rises even above.
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    Jam.Head wrote:

Your wedding...your way...thats awesome!! What song? My husband & I had Led Zeppelin- All of My Love & Joe Cocker - You Are So Beautiful... :D

Wife and I had "Still haven't Found What I'm Looking For". I kid you not. Course we got married on a 24 hour notice, 1 guest, bare feet, etc, etc.. Loooong story.. :P
    ~~~~~~~Vinyl For Sale (shipping costs in North America included)~~~~~~~
    The Who - Phases Box Set. Ltd. Ed. All 9 studio albums w/ Moon (11 discs) $200
    ^discogs entry link^
    Peter Gabriel - Up 200 gram 'Classic Records' audiophile version. Sealed. $225
    ^discogs entry link^
    Van Halen - I 180 gram Remastered 'DCC Compact Classic' version. Ltd. Ed. (#53!). Sealed. $175
    ^discogs entry link^
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Options
    :lol::lol::lol: Find it yet?
  • Options
    We're thinking the cover of "Can't Help Falling In Love with You" :)

You are all beautiful. I think it's great that you did it your way! Thanks for the encouragement.