Options

**** Toronto 1 Fanviews Here 9/11/11 ****

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    DURP wrote:
    I'm hoping the boot comes out soon i wanted to get for my brother for his B-day.
    when is that?
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    IgotshitIDIgotshitID St.john's Newfoundland Posts: 894
    is there still no word on these boots?
    St.John's 9/24/2005
    St.John's 9/25/2005
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Toronto 9/12/2011
    Quebec City 5/5/2016
    Ottawa 5/8/2016
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,803
    IgotshitID wrote:
    is there still no word on these boots?

Nothing yet. :(
  • Options
    This Tuesday maybe? Official bootlegs?
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,468
    demetrios wrote:
    This Tuesday maybe? Official bootlegs?

:o I can only wish
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    RaniRani Posts: 434
    Ok, when was the other time when PJ did the Chloe Dancer?

And where is the boot already?

Seriously. Where is it?

I haven't been around here in a long time...so I don't know how soon PJ typically release their boots after the shows. Is it usually soon after the show? Or the normal wait is a month after the show?

What a show this was...I wish I could turn back time...
  • Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    This is the Toronto review from Classic Rock. It's a good read.

Pearl Jam, Toronto Air Canada centre, Canada
    e2ebf9cc.jpg

September 11 2011. Exactly ten years since the twin towers collapsed, and almost 20 years to the day since the near simultaneous release of Pearl jam's Ten and Nirvana's Smells like teen spirit detonated the generational youth-quake of grunge. There are almost 20,000 people here in the huge Air Canada centre, Toronto's answer to London's O2 or New york City's Madison Square Garden. Even before fellow Seattle survivors Mudhoney finish their support set, a light fog of marijuana smoke wafts over the crowd. Deep in the heart of Pearl Jam country, the Woodstock festival never really ended.

Tonight is the first of two mega-shows for Pearl Jam, who are in Canada to launch a full coast to coast tour alongside their new, career-spanning documentary and live album Pearl Jam:Twenty. Every seat in the Ar Canada centre carries the same egalitarian flat price of around 90 Canadian dollars. That's something of a bargain for a modern arena show, which may help explain the no-frills production:no pyrotechnics, no video screens, no razzle dazzle stage props.

Modelling a dainty beard and flannel shirt from Topman's off the shelf Grunge range, Eddie Vedder hurls himself into the music with admirable gusto. Although no longer given to the risky stage climbing and roof dangling exploits of early Pearl Jam shows( as documented in Cameron Crowe's new film), the gravel voiced singer still pinballs around the stage with air-punching abandon, tossing out Joe Cocker-esque arm gestures and windmill-riffing homages to his guitar hero Pete Townshend.

Once notoriously glum and tetchy, the 46 year old Vedder is clearly a calmer chameleon these days. Between his exertions
    the snger shares some of the warm jokey banter that has become an increasing hallmark in recent years. " Our cities each have large concrete erections" he tells the delighted Canadians, noting the similarity between Seattle's Space Needle and Toronto's CN Tower. "Yours is bigger." Vedder quips. He also pays tribute to the band's assembled WAGS(wives and girlfriends), parents and children in the audience. "Time flies when you're having fun and having kids" he smiles wistfully. Strangely he makes no mention of the tenth anniversary of 9/11. Too serious, perhaps. Or too obvious.

It takes a brave group to attempt such a bare bones production in a cavernous sports arena, but Pearl Jam pull it off by making this two-hours plus show feel spontaneous and intimate. It also has an old-school, scratchy-vinyl, analogue warmth that chimes with the band's unabashed love of classic 60s and 70s rock. Vedder and co. always stood more for continuity and tradition than for the punky non-conformism of grunge. Once leveled as a criticism, this wider perspective has increasingly proved to be an asset as fickle pop fashions fade. Over 20 years together, Pearl Jam have evolved into the new Grateful Dead, the world's biggest campfire-strumming stoner-jam band.

At their worst, all this fannish ancestor worship can become stifling and self limiting. Sporadically during their set, Pearl Jam's sepia tinted brand of rootsy authenticity feels too much like musically conservative busker-rock. But in muscular, country-flavoured numbers such as Off He Goes, Nothing as it seems, or Small town they ta into a vital tradition of storytelling Americana that reaches back through REM and Dylan to Kerouac and Steinbeck.

Across a 27 song set spanning their entire career, it soon becomes clear just how few killer anthems Pearl Jam have written in 20 years together. Fortunately they have enough blustery passion and blunt melodic hooks to carry them through o goodwillalone, from the heart-swelling crescendos of Daughter and Given to fly to arena punk belters like Got some and Grievance. The band's tendency towards bloated sprawl only begins to drag during the final half hour, when Mike McCready and Stone Gossard cut lose with too amny extended, bles meta guitar wanks, most damningly during Porch and RVM.

But of course Pearl jam are smart enough to hold back some heavy artillery for their half hour, eight sog onslaught of encores. Handing vocal duties to the fans on several numbers, Vedder conducts a mass crowd singalong during the Springsteen-esque roar of Betterman, throwing in his usual vocal homage to the Beat's Save it for later.
    Then in a pleasing nod to Pearl Jam's Seattle pre-history, he bounces along to the glam punk riffs of Mother Love Bone's Crown of Thorns. But the entire arena already knows that the climax will be their mighty signature hit Alive, as obvios as an approaching avalanche, and almost as loud in its cascading riffs and roaring gradients.

And yet, Alive is not quite the end, because Pearl Jam have another ace up their plaid sleeves. Rumours have been swirlng all day of guest appearances by Chris Cornell or Bono. But Vedder dropped some early hints by paying tribute to his personal icon and sometime collaborator Neil Young, noting that the veteran rocker still seems younger than him.Toronto is Young's hometown of course, the hospital where he was born lies around 10 blocks north of the Air Canada centre.

All the same, it still feels like a grand coup de theatre when pearl Jam crank up Young's epochal anthm of RITFW for their final encore, and after a teasing few minutes, Young bounds onstage. Lookng lean and lanky in a dapper hat and leather jacket, he corrals the band it a whirling circle of guitarists, grining as he cugs away at his Les Paul. Vedder hovers on the edge of the storm, clapping and shouting as massive power chords boom and clang at deafening volume. It's a fantastic display of pan-generational rock solidarity and possibly a veiled comment on the unspoken echoes of 9/11.

Some bands(mostly British) define themselves in terms of punky cynicism and urban-outsider cool. Others, (mostly American) make a virtue of their connection to comunity, history and landscape. Pearl Jam may have roots in the former camp, but they are now plainly in the latter.

Twenty years and 60 million album sales down the line, Pearl Jam continues to thrive and survive. On a day charged with tragic memories, witnessing these evergreen heartland rockers transform a giant sports arena into an indoor Woodstock festival feels like a genuinely positive event, and an anniversary worth celebrating. Stephen Dalton
    f6a145a5.jpg

I liked that review. thoughts anyone?
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    eldarion75 wrote:
    Every seat in the Ar Canada centre carries the same egalitarian flat price of around 90 Canadian dollars. That's something of a bargain for a modern arena show, which may help explain the no-frills production:no pyrotechnics, no video screens, no razzle dazzle stage props.

:mrgreen:

as for the overall review - it's hit and miss with me ... the author clearly hasn't followed the band nor done much research ... his point of how few killer anthems is a testament to the fact he doesn't realize that pearl jam can play upwards of 100 different songs over a 10 city tour ... anyways ... pearl jam are now a band for the appreciative masses ... a little something for everyone ...
  • Options
    tremors wrote:
    Back in the day, when I was just getting to know my girl, she did me a tape of all the music she was listening to, that meant something to her. A lot of stuff I didn't know, a lot of Pearl Jam, a lot of grunge. I listened to it loads, and I learnt a lot about her through this tape. I still have it. Chloe Dancer / Crown of thorns was the opening track. Sorry, I think I'm about to cry :lol:

Hey that's a really nice story, tremors...about your girl. :D
  • Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    polaris_x wrote:
    eldarion75 wrote:
    Every seat in the Ar Canada centre carries the same egalitarian flat price of around 90 Canadian dollars. That's something of a bargain for a modern arena show, which may help explain the no-frills production:no pyrotechnics, no video screens, no razzle dazzle stage props.

:mrgreen:

as for the overall review - it's hit and miss with me ... the author clearly hasn't followed the band nor done much research ... his point of how few killer anthems is a testament to the fact he doesn't realize that pearl jam can play upwards of 100 different songs over a 10 city tour ... anyways ... pearl jam are now a band for the appreciative masses ... a little something for everyone ...

Think youve missed the point. Not every review has to be written by a super fan. This was a rock journalist from the outside looking in. And with a lot more objectivity than any of us would be able to muster. Or be comfortable with it seems.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    I like the tone of the review. I didn't like a couple of things he said but am okay that he said it.

My biggest problem with it is this part: Modelling a dainty beard and flannel shirt from Topman's off the shelf Grunge range

Nothing about Ed is dainty, and I did not need to know Ed shops at Topman :evil:

Can't wait for a boot for this. I wasn't at this show but it sounded epic!
  • Options
    Nothing as it seems...
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    eldarion75 wrote:
    Think youve missed the point. Not every review has to be written by a super fan. This was a rock journalist from the outside looking in. And with a lot more objectivity than any of us would be able to muster. Or be comfortable with it seems.

i'm not looking for a review by a super fan ... objectivity is not void of research ... the truth of the matter is that pj has a lot of anthems any which way you cut it ... i know this because i hear from people all the time who haven't followed them and go to their show and they ask ... why didn't they play this song and that song ...

in any case - you asked for my thoughts on the review ... so, them be my thoughts ...
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,783
    i like to hear the "anthems" but if they played a whole show of "obscure? tunes" i'd like that better...

"here's one for the serious collectors..."

loved when they played inside job at ottowa...

i'd trade a jermey rvm alive for 3 lost dogs anyday...

but whatever they choose to play i'll rock it out with a smile ear to ear if i'm lucky enough to get tickets...
  • Options
    About the only thing I disagree with on that review is the tidbit on anthems..."very few".

But then again, being a hardcore PJ fan, my opinion definitely is subjective.

Nice point made about objectivity.
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    im jealous of all who went to this show..so sick!!!!
  • Options
    Davidtrios wrote:

And the bootleg sounds amazing! 8-)
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    Davidtrios wrote:

my left speaker is out....nais solo destroy it..hehehe
  • Options
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,468
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
  • Options
    Davidtrios wrote:

They sure do. Now the wait for the CD/Flac passion of this show! :D
  • Options
    Google music has a free download of the 9-11-2011 Show!

Enjoy ALL!

https://market.android.com/details?id=a ... =pj-110x80

:P
  • Options
    drjoedvm wrote:

Enjoy ALL!

:D
  • Options
    drjoedvm wrote:

Enjoy ALL!

Screw google USA! I like this link much better! :)http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1XUOU3UR
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,862
    finally listened to the show. my fav part was when Ed was comparing Toronto and Seattle. And how they have large concrete erections and how toronto's is bigger, but Seattle's is more shapely :lol:

Daughter w/ OK tag was cool to hear and Chloe Dancer sounded cool. A whole was great :D
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    finally listened to the show. my fav part was when Ed was comparing Toronto and Seattle. And how they have large concrete erections and how toronto's is bigger, but Seattle's is more shapely :lol:

Daughter w/ OK tag was cool to hear and Chloe Dancer sounded cool. A whole was great :D
    and Nais...dont forget Nais :D
  • Options
    Gibson72Gibson72 Posts: 1,245
    I am still miffed they didn't release this as a boot. The google music version is not available in Canada... Makes no sense...Canadian show not available in Canada
    Gibson1972
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Gibson72 wrote:
    I am still miffed they didn't release this as a boot. The google music version is not available in Canada... Makes no sense...Canadian show not available in Canada
    There was a Megaupload link somewhere.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Gibson72 wrote:
    There was a Megaupload link somewhere.