Options

gay people raising children

Comments

• Options
    DeniDeni Posts: 233
    perhaps a bit. my intentions were to draw out the fact that your "scientific" reasons for disapproving of gays were bogus and you're just a homophobe. but i think your inability to offer an honest, candid, or intelligent response to my questions is all the proof i need. have a nice day :)

I so agree with this.

I mean all dude can say is

"homosexuality is an evolutionary dead end"
    "homosexuality is an evolutionary dead end"

For cripe sake, he sounds like a parrot. I wonder what bigot taught him to repeat that. He is doing a good job though just repeating that diatribe over and over without explaining what he means. Polly wanna cracker?

Deni
    "Ideas are bulletproof." --V

Peace and Love
    Deni
    :)
  • Options
    rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    Cracker? naa... I got a bag of nuts for ya though.... perhaps both literally and figuratively... :D haha...that's rich...

ciao bella...
  • Options
    I don't think it is a healthy option, for the child. I don't like seeing single mothers or single father, or double mothers or double fathers. I'm not saying that it can't be done right, it just makes the margin for error a lot smaller. Do it, I don't care, but don't sit here and tell me it can be the same, or, in any way natural.
  • Options
    Instead of starting a new thread, i thought i'd respark this one.
    This is quite interesting article. Some people havent thought the possibility of gay couples being just as bad or as worse than straight couples

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/23062006/325/gay-foster-men-jailed-sex-abuse-boys.html
  • Options
    rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    just be careful Deni's wacked in the freaking nut...
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    danny72688 wrote:
    I think it's more than okay for homosexuals to raise children for the sole reason that they'd do a good job. Gays/lesbians don't need to worry about unplanned pregnancies, so them wanting a child would be because they want one.

Of course social issues would come up, but at least the child would be loved by the parents.

i agree completely.. that makes more sense than any reply ive seen

Children want to be loved... maybe 25 years ago having parents of the same sex would have caused more harm than good, but now a days, its not even a second thought... the world becomes a more diverse place every single day...
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    Instead of starting a new thread, i thought i'd respark this one.
    This is quite interesting article. Some people havent thought the possibility of gay couples being just as bad or as worse than straight couples

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/23062006/325/gay-foster-men-jailed-sex-abuse-boys.html

of course it's possible, just as possible with natural-born children or when ANY couple adopts children. sadly, there are always abusive parents, and sadder still, many do pass through all the screening beforehand. nonetheless, gay or straight...we know it can/does happen. however, in regards to the thread topic, homosexuals are no more likely to be abusive than heterosexuals, so for the sole purpose of if they 'should' be parents, sexual orientation doesn't make a difference in my mind. anyhoo.....such abusive parents, being bad or worse...all about them as people, gay or straight...and it's just a very sad situation.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    RushlimboRushlimbo Posts: 832
    Gay people good, children good. Hate-filled religious zealots are bad. Let's keep it simple people.
    War is Peace
    Freedom is Slavery
    Ignorance is Strength
  • Options
    I used to think it was wrong for homosexuals to raise children. It's obviously not natural to be gay, it's not the way we were created. We were created with the sole purpose of creating offspring, and the only way to do so is through heterosexual relations. There is no arguing that, we were meant to be with members of the oppostite sex. That being said, however, I have no problem with two people being gay, it doesn't bother me and I don't think it's a disease or anything wrong with the individuals. I don't know how I feel on whether they're born gay, or whether they become that way, and I don't really care about that. More and more I feel that they should be afforded many of the same rights as heterosexual couples. I do think that for the child, growing up in a gay household will be harder than growing up in a household with two straight parents. The child will be subject to verbal abuse for years from peers at school. I'm not advocating such behavior, but kids will be kids, and unfortunately, the child of the gay parents will suffer as a result. But at the same time, the child will have two loving parents at home, which is very important. I posted in another thread how I think the major problem in the country is the breakdown of the family. I gave examples and statistics of what happens to children who grow up with only one parent present. While the natural family makeup has a male and a female as parents, I still think two men or two women can provide similar love and caring for a child, which is very important.

So to sum this all up, my views have changed over the past couple of years and I don't really have a problem with gay parents raising children. While the child will experience some teasing and flat out verbal abuse that others will not, the child will also have loving parents at home. The parents will need to recognize what they are getting the child into as far as verbal abuse at school etc. goes, but I believe they have the ability to be as loving and caring as any straight parents can.
  • Options
    I'd like to see same-sex couples treated equally everywhere else 1st. How can a kid be expected to not face bullying if the law itself tells his yearmates that same-sex couples are 2nd class citizens?
    A restaurant with a smoking section is like a swimming pool with a pissing section
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    I'd like to see same-sex couples treated equally everywhere else 1st. How can a kid be expected to not face bullying if the law itself tells his yearmates that same-sex couples are 2nd class citizens?

this is a good point. plus, as people mentioned... kids will find reasons to make fun of you. if it's not gay parents, it'll be poor parents or jewish parents or one parent or whatever else. there's always an excuse. furthermore, i feel like partially gay parents would be able to do very well at training their kids to handle that kind of bullying, having faced it most of their lives themselves.
  • Options
    darkcrowdarkcrow Posts: 1,102
    I used to think it was wrong for homosexuals to raise children. It's obviously not natural to be gay, it's not the way we were created. We were created with the sole purpose of creating offspring, and the only way to do so is through heterosexual relations. There is no arguing that, we were meant to be with members of the oppostite sex. .

biologically we are meant to procreate with the opposite sex to create offspring but to "be with"... that you can argue with. sex is just sex, but love is different.
  • Options
    angelicaangelica Posts: 6,053
    It's obviously not natural to be gay, it's not the way we were created. We were created with the sole purpose of creating offspring, and the only way to do so is through heterosexual relations. There is no arguing that, we were meant to be with members of the oppostite sex.
    I disagree. I say it's quite easily argued that it IS natural to have sex with the same sex, considering that we exist in the natural world. And considering that in the natural world, some people in fact DO naturally have sex with the same sex. One might argue that it's somewhat egotistical to believe we are above nature and can choose beyond nature's bounds. Everything in the natural world is natural.

It's purely interpretation of the facts that we are created for the sole purpose of creating offspring. Tomato, tomahto. Subjective opinion.
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

http://www.myspace.com/illuminatta

Rhinocerous Surprise '08!!!
  • Options
    eddies grrleddies grrl Posts: 509
    i've seen plenty of straight couples have children and do a piss-poor job of raising them. on the other hand, i know two gay couples (one lesbian couple, one gay male couple) who have adopted children- from piss-poor rejects who should have never procreated to begin with- and the children are thriving, finally, in loving homes.

sexual preference has ZERO to do with how good a parent you'll be.
    Life is the riddle
    Of which we're caught in the middle.
    A couple of lucky ones
    Tangled up in too much love
    ~cowboy junkies
  • Options
    falconfalcon Posts: 163
    Gay couples raising children is fine for the couple and everyone else, but the most important consideration- THE CHILD- might have some tough obstacles growing up. I'm not at all homophobic, but it might not be fair to the child to be picked on for something they never chose.
    MANSFIELD 7/3/03, 7/11/03
    BOSTON 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    HARTFORD 5/13/06
    BOSTON 5/24/06
    MANSFIELD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    EV BOSTON 8/1/08, 8/2/08
    CHICAGO 8/24/09
    HARTFORD 5/15/10
    BOSTON 5/17/10
    EV PROV 6/15/11
    WORCESTER 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HARTFORD 10/25/13
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    falcon wrote:
    Gay couples raising children is fine for the couple and everyone else, but the most important consideration- THE CHILD- might have some tough obstacles growing up. I'm not at all homophobic, but it might not be fair to the child to be picked on for something they never chose.

Fat kids get picked on. So should over-weight parents not be allowed to reproduce because they stand a good chance of having/raising an over-weight child that runs a high possibility of being picked on at school. Kids are going to pick on each other for an unlimited amount of reasons. Being over weight, not being popular, not being athletic, being short, acne, glasses, braces, etc… The list can go on and on. I don't think that using the excuse that the child will be picked on is a good reason to bar homosexuals from adobting.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    I can't believe it's not PC to say this- All children should have a mother AND a father.
    BOSTON 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    HARTFORD 5/13/06
    BOSTON 5/24/06
    EV BOSTON 8/1/08, 8/2/08
    CHICAGO 8/24/09
    HARTFORD 5/15/10
    BOSTON 5/17/10
    EV PROV 6/15/11
    HARTFORD 10/25/13
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    Fat kids get picked on. So should over-weight parents not be allowed to reproduce because they stand a good chance of having/raising an over-weight child that runs a high possibility of being picked on at school. Kids are going to pick on each other for an unlimited amount of reasons. Being over weight, not being popular, not being athletic, being short, acne, glasses, braces, etc… The list can go on and on. I don't think that using the excuse that the child will be picked on is a good reason to bar homosexuals from adobting.

You can't say that unless you were in that situation.
    BOSTON 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    HARTFORD 5/13/06
    BOSTON 5/24/06
    EV BOSTON 8/1/08, 8/2/08
    CHICAGO 8/24/09
    HARTFORD 5/15/10
    BOSTON 5/17/10
    EV PROV 6/15/11
    HARTFORD 10/25/13
  • Options
    falcon wrote:
    You can't say that unless you were in that situation.

Can't say what? My older brother is gay. He was married had two kids then came out of the closet. His kids are fine. There where some asshole kids who said shit to them, but for the most part nobody cared that their father was gay. Just like any other kid growing up who has some asshole pick on them for one reason or another. So yes I can say what I said.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    You can't say that "unless you're in that situation". You didn't read the second half of the sentence.

So you CAN say that. Read the entire sentence before you reply.
    BOSTON 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    HARTFORD 5/13/06
    BOSTON 5/24/06
    EV BOSTON 8/1/08, 8/2/08
    CHICAGO 8/24/09
    HARTFORD 5/15/10
    BOSTON 5/17/10
    EV PROV 6/15/11
    HARTFORD 10/25/13
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    Can't say what? My older brother is gay. He was married had two kids then came out of the closet. His kids are fine. There where some asshole kids who said shit to them, but for the most part nobody cared that their father was gay. Just like any other kid growing up who has some asshole pick on them for one reason or another. So yes I can say what I said.

Good point. It wasn't too long ago that the child of an interracial couple would have had the same problems.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • Options
    falcon wrote:
    You can't say that "unless you're in that situation". You didn't read the second half of the sentence.

So you CAN say that. Read the entire sentence before you reply.

I read your entire post. Where you ever in that situation? If not then you really can't say that they would be harrassed at school. I am going by the experiences my niece and nephew went through and no one harrassed them or made their life at school intolerable. So again I can say what I said because I am speaking from the experience family members have had. Will it be the same in every case, no. Like I said kids get picked on for a wide variety of reasons and to use that excuse as a reason to deny homosexuals the right to have/adopt children is utter bullshit.
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    I read your entire post. Where you ever in that situation? If not then you really can't say that they would be harrassed at school. I am going by the experiences my niece and nephew went through and no one harrassed them or made their life at school intolerable. So again I can say what I said because I am speaking from the experience family members have had. Will it be the same in every case, no. Like I said kids get picked on for a wide variety of reasons and to use that excuse as a reason to deny homosexuals the right to have/adopt children is utter bullshit.

Once again, I never said you couldn't speak from experience. I also never said they should be denied a right to adopt children. What I am saying is that if they have the child's best interests in mind at all times, then I have no problem.
    BOSTON 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    HARTFORD 5/13/06
    BOSTON 5/24/06
    EV BOSTON 8/1/08, 8/2/08
    CHICAGO 8/24/09
    HARTFORD 5/15/10
    BOSTON 5/17/10
    EV PROV 6/15/11
    HARTFORD 10/25/13
  • Options
    falcon wrote:
    Once again, I never said you couldn't speak from experience. I also never said they should be denied a right to adopt children. What I am saying is that if they have the child's best interests in mind at all times, then I have no problem.

I'm pretty sure that a gay couple enduring all the shit they have to go through to adopt a child is going to have the child's best interest at heart. Your comment can apply to any parent not just gay ones.
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    Who cares. It's not the ideal situation but no worse than single parents and better in some ways.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    edited October 2011
    it they are good, responsibile people, i say any couple has the right to raise children
    Post edited by davidtrios on
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Five year old thread bump. LAME. How does someone even find it?
  • Options
    PearlJainPearlJain Posts: 565
    I have been a Social Worker for many years. Gay adoption is not legal here in Florida....yet. I would truly like children to live in a loving environment whether it be hetero or gay. So many people disagree with me on this....but I stick to my beliefs.....Loving homes versus abusive homes. So many children are removed temporarily while their parents try to get their lives in order. Children sometimes find stability in Foster care - only to be returned to the chaos of their parents. How does this benefit any child?
    I don't believe that a child raised by gays makes the child gay. There is a long process to adopting...doesn't happen overnight. I want Florida to allow loving gay people to be able to adopt children in order to provide much needed stability and loving homes.
    The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated - Gandhi

"Empty pockets will Allow a greater Sense of wealth...." EV/ITW
  • Options
    PearlJain wrote:
    I have been a Social Worker for many years. Gay adoption is not legal here in Florida....yet. I would truly like children to live in a loving environment whether it be hetero or gay. So many people disagree with me on this....but I stick to my beliefs.....Loving homes versus abusive homes. So many children are removed temporarily while their parents try to get their lives in order. Children sometimes find stability in Foster care - only to be returned to the chaos of their parents. How does this benefit any child?
    I don't believe that a child raised by gays makes the child gay. There is a long process to adopting...doesn't happen overnight. I want Florida to allow loving gay people to be able to adopt children in order to provide much needed stability and loving homes.
    Respect to you for your chosen line of work PearlJain and i agree with your sentiments. As long as the children are protected, loved, nurtured, and raised in a loving enviroment then it shouldn't matter.
  • Options
    falcon wrote:

Did you choose your parents?

Check out this dude. He chose to hold a speech: http://youtu.be/yMLZO-sObzQ
    Like a cloud dropping rain
    I'm discarding all thought
    I'll dry up, leaving puddles on the ground
    I'm like an opening band for the sun