Options

best way to frame posters

BELLZDEEPBELLZDEEP Posts: 286
edited October 2011 in Lost Dogs
i'm sure there is already a thread about this, and i may not even be posting this in the right place, but here goes. like many of you i buy the posters at pj/ev shows. i have some in poster tubes right now, but am wondering what is the best (by best i mean somewhat cost efficient, and most importantly long term safe storage of poster) to frame them? do they need to be matted etc. if anyone is in this line of work or has done the research already and wouldn't mind sharing it, please let me know. i'm guessing long-term storage in the tubes is not recommended. thanks for reading!
bellz
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    RedMosquito02RedMosquito02 Posts: 2,560
    BELLZDEEP wrote:
    i'm sure there is already a thread about this, and i may not even be posting this in the right place, but here goes. like many of you i buy the posters at pj/ev shows. i have some in poster tubes right now, but am wondering what is the best (by best i mean somewhat cost efficient, and most importantly long term safe storage of poster) to frame them? do they need to be matted etc. if anyone is in this line of work or has done the research already and wouldn't mind sharing it, please let me know. i'm guessing long-term storage in the tubes is not recommended. thanks for reading!
    bellz
    Prints that are going to be stored for long periods of time should be stored flat...most high end art stores have nice large portfolio's that work great for storage. I have two of them and they both contain about 15-20 PJ/EV prints.

If you go the framing rout, avoid dry mounting. Once the print is dry mounted, it's pretty much there forever (its is possible to remove with heat, but it's a pain in the ass and you risk damaging the print).

A high quality frame job will run you anywhere from $300-$600, depending on framing materials used, matting, etc. I have a buddy that goes all out and drop about $500 on each frame job. You can do it for much less, though...just try and take it to a proper framing shop and not the mall!

There is a really cool dude on here named CJMST3K who was doing frame jobs and they looked awesome and I'm sure he was WAY below that pricing. I just don't know if he is still doing them...

Good luck with whatever you do!
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    I'm going to take advantage of this thread if OP doesn't mind :mrgreen:

When storing in a portfolio with posters in them, do you lay the portfolio flat? I was thinking of standing it up against a wall or something, but can see that might injure the prints. Thank you! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    GratefulJamGratefulJam Posts: 1,782
    i would definitely store the portfolio flat. if you do not all the posters will slide down to the bottom and begin to warp (is my guess as to what will happen)
    "thru extensive negotiations we managed to get the curfew moved back..... we still don't have any time to fu&k around...."

LA II 06, SB 06, SF III 06, Kokua 07 Ed and Jack, Grant Park 07, EV Berk1 & LA 1 (nice job 10c), 08 DC, MSG1 &2, VH1 rocks, EV Bos II, EV NYC I & II, Milwaukee, EV Maui, EV Hono I & II, Chicago 09 I & II, LA 09 I & II & IV, SD 09 (my girlfriend hit the lottery, best concert of my life 10C rocks)KC 2010, STL 2010, Hartford. Boston, and MSG I & II "who goes around skinning cats anyway", PJ 20 2011 , Portland, Spokane, Seattle LA 2013, Home Shows + Missoula (fatal 👌)
  • Options
    nm219369nm219369 Posts: 204
    I store all my unframed prints in a portfolio, each one is in a glossy bag and with an acid free backer board it helps keep them protected from most anything. I get them at a frame shop.
  • Options
    dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,544
    Instead of starting my own thread I'm jumping on here too. I'm new to the poster scene too, just picked up the Ames and Hampton prints at PJ20 and I want to hang them in my office. Any advice to a novice on getting them framed? Are there certain features/materials I should be looking for to make sure the posters are kept in good condition? I can go to a framing shop but I don't even know what to ask for so hoping someone on here can help. Hoff, somebody please? Thanks in advance.
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
  • Options
    Chief BroomChief Broom Detroit Posts: 2,036
    I have not framed any of my concert posters yet but am an avid animation art collector. I can tell you with "precious" artwork you want to ask for the following (though a good frame shop will know and should tell you):
    Acid free matte and backer, UV protective glass, and a metal frame...maybe someone else has more to say or disagrees with this when framing posters. Good luck!
    MLMF Det
  • Options
    DE483DE483 Posts: 428
    insert shameless plug here....contact CJMST3K via pm. He owns a professional framing gallery. Have 6 posters framed by him - amazing work. I know there are tons of other board members who use him as well. He will answer all your framing questions. Great person to work with and you will not be disappointed

And Hoff - if you are out there...when is the next framing special?

Good luck :)
  • Options
    stickmanstickman Posts: 1,008
    DE483 wrote:
    insert shameless plug here....contact CJMST3K via pm. He owns a professional framing gallery. Have 6 posters framed by him - amazing work. I know there are tons of other board members who use him as well. He will answer all your framing questions. Great person to work with and you will not be disappointed

And Hoff - if you are out there...when is the next framing special?

Good luck :)

Recently spoke with him about the next framing run. He told me that he recently moved his store so he was hoping to do one by the end of September or October. I have some framed by him. Great work, and it is much cheaper than my local guy even wit the shipping I save about $150 - $200. So I am happy.

Cost mr like $366.00 to get my last two done (with shipping). I would have paid close to $300 for one with my local guy.
  • Options
    Chief Broom: Why the metal frame?
    ~~~~~~~Vinyl For Sale (shipping costs in North America included)~~~~~~~
    The Who - Phases Box Set. Ltd. Ed. All 9 studio albums w/ Moon (11 discs) $200
    ^discogs entry link^
    Peter Gabriel - Up 200 gram 'Classic Records' audiophile version. Sealed. $225
    ^discogs entry link^
    Van Halen - I 180 gram Remastered 'DCC Compact Classic' version. Ltd. Ed. (#53!). Sealed. $175
    ^discogs entry link^
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Options
    Chief BroomChief Broom Detroit Posts: 2,036
    D-Dude wrote:
    Chief Broom: Why the metal frame?
    Anything that is getting framed permanently should have a metal frame for a couple of reasons(or so I've been told). The first reason is humidity changes and moisture affect wood frames. Wood is also a possible home for bugs. This may be improbable if hung on a wall in your living room but I just figure frame it for the long haul. Wooden frames are different on canvas paintings. They usually do not have glass in front of the canvas therefore they can "breath", and trapped moisture is not problem. All this being said, I am far from a framing expert. I just know this is what I've been recommended when framing my animation artwork. Hope this helps.
    -Colin
    MLMF Det
  • Options
    That did help Colin. I priced out a frame job for my Edmonton EMEK today and asked for those 3 things you mentioned. $240 was the first and only quote I got and was pretty happy with that after hearing the posters in this thread talk about 5-6 hundred bucks!!
    ~~~~~~~Vinyl For Sale (shipping costs in North America included)~~~~~~~
    The Who - Phases Box Set. Ltd. Ed. All 9 studio albums w/ Moon (11 discs) $200
    ^discogs entry link^
    Peter Gabriel - Up 200 gram 'Classic Records' audiophile version. Sealed. $225
    ^discogs entry link^
    Van Halen - I 180 gram Remastered 'DCC Compact Classic' version. Ltd. Ed. (#53!). Sealed. $175
    ^discogs entry link^
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Options
    MickeyMouseMickeyMouse Posts: 1,053
    I would highly suggest researching DIY framing and giving it a shot. Most PJ posters are in the 18x24 range, but always have odd sizes an inch or 2 different than a standard frame. Using all conservation/archival materials (UV acrylic/plexiglass, acid-free mat, acid-free backing board, acid-free framing corners, etc. you can custom frame most projects by yourself for $100 - $200. Your first order will probably be closer to $200 - $250 because you'll need some materials, but in the long run you will definitely save a lot of money.

I started a few months ago framing my own stuff, and not only is it really easy once you get the hang of it, it's a lot of fun. Check out AmericanFrame.com, where I order all my stuff, or FrameDestination.com. Sometimes one is cheaper than the other. AF ships any order over $50 for free, and you can also upload a picture of what you want to frame so you can play around with frames and mats on their site.
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18