Options

Does this bother anyone else.......

Aussie357Aussie357 Posts: 649
edited September 2011 in Lost Dogs
.......... or is it just me?
Regarding the highly sought after Edmonton Emek poster, the following is on Expressobeans:

"by jodeci78 on Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:06 pm
yup... i made a friend stop eating his dinner, take the bus, and buy me 10. they're shipping to me monday via xpresspot (trying to get someone to fly to edmonton & bring them to me to vancouver).
i have 10 available. $180 each shipped (canada/usa) on ebans. $200 on ebay."

I know this has been discussed before & will never end, but having merch tents outside the doors to the venues really opens it up to everyone without concert tickets. Limits, Proof of tix before being allowed to purchase.... I don't know.
I'm sure I've probably said something wrong, or offended someone, but I'm not bitching - just really disappointed.
I'll keep takin' punches until their will grows tired... Hey I won't change direction and I won't change my mind.......
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    I agree with you. Shouldn't be allowed to happen but then if people are stupid enough to pay $200 for a poster.....
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    True - as long as people support it, it will continue.
    I'd rather spend $500 and fly out to SF and buy one from Emek himself...........
    Actually, that could be a fun weekend :)
    I'll keep takin' punches until their will grows tired... Hey I won't change direction and I won't change my mind.......
  • Options
    MudfestMudfest Posts: 1,015
    There were actually posters available at the end of the show when i left ...
    So supply was not an issue ...So I dont really have an issue with this guy ...
    ===
    "OH Canada...You are so Beautiful when you are Drunk." Eddie
    1993-08-14 Gimli Mb Motorsport Park
    03-05-30 Vanc;05-09-08 Wpg
    05-09-07 Sask Sk;05-09-04 Calg
    05-09-05 Edm Alb;05-09-02 Vanc
    06-07-02/ 03 Denver 1 + 2;06-10-21/22 Bridge 1 +2
    4/3 + 4/2/08 Vanc Vedder ; 6/24+25 MSG /Toronto 09/buffalo 10/EV Chic 1-2
  • Options
    Gay. Should be in the good or shit thread.
    SHIT.
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    Nothing seems to satisfy.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
    To breathe, to feel, to know Im alive.
  • Options
    wawwaw Posts: 61
    One can only hope he gets stuck with them all!
  • Options
    TyTy Posts: 1,007
    This guy is a fuck head. I missed out on and Emek Sydney at the show while cocks walked around with multiple posters.
    PJ - Sydney 1998; Sydney 2003; Sydney, Melbourne, Newcastle 2006; Melbourne, Sydney 2009; Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney 2014.
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle, Sydney 2011; Sydney 2014.
  • Options
    PJ doesn't want to hurt the secondary market for posters. In fact, they're helping the secondary market for posters! How very thoughtful and considerate of them!
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Options
    timctimc Posts: 664
    I get where you all are coming from! BUT I like the fact some of my gig and art posters appreciate in value! If there was not a secondary maket then that wouldn't happen! I like being able to sell other prints to buy more expensive prints! I have bought many prints on the secondary market such is life. One way to look at is some of those prints would be un-obtainable if not for the seondary market! I try to buy and sell so I can buy more with out using my money :) Fact art collecting buying selling is a hobby business.

Most artist like the secondary market means instant sellouts when they sell their stuff online or at art shows.
  • Options
    timc wrote:
    I get where you all are coming from! BUT I like the fact some of my gig and art posters appreciate in value! If there was not a secondary maket then that wouldn't happen! I like being able to sell other prints to buy more expensive prints! I have bought many prints on the secondary market such is life. One way to look at is some of those prints would be un-obtainable if not for the seondary market! I try to buy and sell so I can buy more with out using my money :) Fact art collecting buying selling is a hobby business.

Most artist like the secondary market means instant sellouts when they sell their stuff online or at art shows.

yes yes yes... but...

I just can't get unstuck on the "for the fans" BS the band always feeds us... and then they institute "for the flippers" policies.

They are so vocally anti ticket scalping... but actually promote what is essentially poster scalping.

I was still 20 people deep at the outside merch booth on day 2 of PJ20... the line was *easily* a few hundred people deep... when the poster sold out. You tell me that these posters aren't going to sell out anyway.

Also... if they want to insure they sell out, they need to start putting out some better prints than what has been floating around lately.
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Options
    timctimc Posts: 664
    Trust I feel your pain not just with gig prints but art prints! It is easier coming to terms with the fact you can't always buy from the drop! That is why I like having a decent collection to sell from to buy those higher priced ones. I am looking for a Ames MAUI 1998 500 cash you got one?
  • Options
    timc wrote:
    Trust I feel your pain not just with gig prints but art prints! It is easier coming to terms with the fact you can't always buy from the drop! That is why I like having a decent collection to sell from to buy those higher priced ones. I am looking for a Ames MAUI 1998 500 cash you got one?

Sorry, can't help. I don't sell posters. I just buy ones I think are awesome or mean something to me. Which is why this "secondary market" crap sucks so hard for me.
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,606
    Mudfest wrote:

probably because you're doing the same thing.
  • Options
    Mudfest wrote:

That's why this sort of thing doesn't bother me any more. A few weeks ago I read Rick Harrison's book (the guy from Pawn Stars) and he talked about how once something is recognized as a collectible it is damn near impossible to make money off of it. I mean sure there are a ton of posters from 98 or earlier that are worth big money, just like there are a ton of comic books and baseball cards from the 60's or earlier that are worth tons. But in all three of those cases no one really knew they would be collectiable so with posters not many people bought them, and a bunch that did pinned them on their walls. Other than a few rare exceptions current posters aren't ever going to be worth the same cash that those old posters are, because these days all the people who want one make a point to buy one and keep it safe. I mean if you look at the prices on expressobeans for posters from the 05 Canadian tour, most of them are selling for the neighboorhood of 40-50 bucks. Even most 03 posters aren't really worth that much compared to their purchase price.There are even posters in the goods section that they are still selling from 09.

Plus if you buy 10 of these prints, you can't really sell them all at once or you will flood the market a bit and not get the highest price. But on the other hand if you wait and sell them slowly demand might have dropped by the time you finish selling the first few. Either way it is a huge gamble, and in the end I don't think it is a very profitable one.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    dont hate the playa hate the game

the band could do more to make sure fans get the posters

I wonder why they dont have the pre-sales anymore?
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:

They don't want to hurt the secondary market. Straight from the horse's mouth.
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:

They don't want to hurt the secondary market. Straight from the horse's mouth.
    Who is the horse?
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    Who is the horse?

I believe Santos.

Here's what I turned up with a quick search... I did not delve exhaustively... but I do remember it coming up.

http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=165184&hilit=secondary+market&start=45#p3822437
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    Who is the horse?

I believe Santos.

Here's what I turned up with a quick search... I did not delve exhaustively... but I do remember it coming up.

http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=165184&hilit=secondary+market&start=45#p3822437
    Thanks.
    Must be that the the value of Tim's collection went down when they did the pre-sales. ;):lol:
  • Options
    kramer73 wrote:
    Mudfest wrote:

Ok, so I'm not trying to jump on anyone, make friends, or make enemies here, but just wanted to let kramer73 know that Mudfest and I actually had a short private conversation about this, and he had bought 2 of the Emeks in Edmonton, and was kind enough to sell me his second print at virtually cost plus shipping, so no - he's not doing the same thing (that I am aware of) Cheers Mud!
    I didn't expect this much action on this post, and once again, I'm not bitching about it. What is surprising and a little disappointing to me (aside from the flippers, who we enable by paying their ridiculous prices) is that 10 Club (knowing that none of us can make it to every show) doesn't hold back a small number of posters from each show, for post concert sales on the website for die hard fans who appreciate the artists, or are collectors - and limit it to one per member. Or at least something along those lines.
    Please don't misconstrue what I am saying - I have nothing but respect for all of 10 Club's efforts in trying to keep all of us picky, demanding, sometimes bitchy fans and members happy. I wouldn't want to have to do your job, so thank you.
    I'm an old school fan, but relatively new to the Club, so I don't expect my posts to hold any weight, but everyone within the forums that I have had correspondence with has been great - a testament to true fans. I hope to meet as many of you as possible at future shows (GO U.S TOUR 2012!!! hint, hint) :D
    Cheers,

Aus.
  • Options
    Aussie357 wrote:
    kramer73 wrote:
    Mudfest wrote:

Ok, so I'm not trying to jump on anyone, make friends, or make enemies here, but just wanted to let kramer73 know that Mudfest and I actually had a short private conversation about this, and he had bought 2 of the Emeks in Edmonton, and was kind enough to sell me his second print at virtually cost plus shipping, so no - he's not doing the same thing (that I am aware of) Cheers Mud!
    I didn't expect this much action on this post, and once again, I'm not bitching about it. What is surprising and a little disappointing to me (aside from the flippers, who we enable by paying their ridiculous prices) is that 10 Club (knowing that none of us can make it to every show) doesn't hold back a small number of posters from each show, for post concert sales on the website for die hard fans who appreciate the artists, or are collectors - and limit it to one per member. Or at least something along those lines.
    Please don't misconstrue what I am saying - I have nothing but respect for all of 10 Club's efforts in trying to keep all of us picky, demanding, sometimes bitchy fans and members happy. I wouldn't want to have to do your job, so thank you.
    I'm an old school fan, but relatively new to the Club, so I don't expect my posts to hold any weight, but everyone within the forums that I have had correspondence with has been great - a testament to true fans. I hope to meet as many of you as possible at future shows (GO U.S TOUR 2012!!! hint, hint) :D
    Cheers,

Aus.

Thanks for the props..Appreciated....

And there was no way I was waiting in another line at the end of the show to buy another poster.
    I am curious though, did ANYONE not get a poster that didnt have an opportunity especially from 10C seats on the floor ?

M
    ===
  • Options
    I was at the Winnipeg show. I forced my wife to come to the venue with me when the doors opened, went to the one merch booth that was open, got my poster and shirt, and stashed em both in the car and then went and drank my face off and had a blast, not worrying whether I'd get my poster or spill on my poster or ruin my shirt, etc.

yes, it bothered me that the posters at Fargo 03 sold out instantly, and I had to pay $100 on eBay for it years later, but hey, I only collect the ones I've been to, so it was worth it for me. I probably wouldn't feel the same, though, if the one poster I had left to complete my collection was $500.

I won't even be able to sell my posters if I wanted to (which I won't). I block mount them all! Instant value of $0! :lol:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    I was at the Winnipeg show. I forced my wife to come to the venue with me when the doors opened, went to the one merch booth that was open, got my poster and shirt, and stashed em both in the car and then went and drank my face off and had a blast, not worrying whether I'd get my poster or spill on my poster or ruin my shirt, etc.

yes, it bothered me that the posters at Fargo 03 sold out instantly, and I had to pay $100 on eBay for it years later, but hey, I only collect the ones I've been to, so it was worth it for me. I probably wouldn't feel the same, though, if the one poster I had left to complete my collection was $500.

I won't even be able to sell my posters if I wanted to (which I won't). I block mount them all! Instant value of $0! :lol:

wasnt Fargo 03 the poster that didnt make it to the show ?
    I still have that one on my want list , It is great....
    And yes I have tons of posters from shows I was at that really suck.. (sunday vancouver being one of them)
    But its part of the fun

And hey if you have an extra fargo PM me .. I didnt get one too
    ===
  • Options
    Mudfest wrote:
    And yes I have tons of posters from shows I was at that really suck.. (sunday vancouver being one of them)
    But its part of the fun

I don't know. All I know is there wasn't any to be found when I was there! that explains it! check ebay, it has come down in price significantly since I bought mine a few years back. should be able to score it for $60 or so. (sorry Muddy, I don't have extras of any posters-I can't afford to buy mulitples!).
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Mudfest wrote:
    But its part of the fun

I don't know. All I know is there wasn't any to be found when I was there! that explains it! check ebay, it has come down in price significantly since I bought mine a few years back. should be able to score it for $60 or so. (sorry Muddy, I don't have extras of any posters-I can't afford to buy mulitples!).

And that is sort of why the thing with people buying a bunch of posters and selling them doesn't really bother me. Since as you showed the price of an 03 poster, which once cost over 100, now can be bought for around 60. I am sure if anyone is patient enough and wants an Edmonton poster, either it will be up on 10club after the tour or the price will drop as time goes by and people forget about it. The amount of people who are willing to pay $200 because they need to have it now, is small and if there are people who have the means to do it and don't realize that typically these posters don't hold that value then what can you do?
  • Options
    Aussie357 wrote:
    What is surprising and a little disappointing to me (aside from the flippers, who we enable by paying their ridiculous prices) is that 10 Club (knowing that none of us can make it to every show) doesn't hold back a small number of posters from each show, for post concert sales on the website for die hard fans who appreciate the artists, or are collectors - and limit it to one per member.

That's pretty much what 10club does already. There are posters going back to shows from 2009. I bought a couple of 06 show posters from 10club back in 2007. Although I think all they do is sell the ones that didn't sell at the show. As far as them holding some back I don't really like the idea, since a smaller supply of posters at the show will also increase demand, and resale price. Plus I am not sure I like the idea that 10 club members get a chance to get show posters, taking away chances from people who were actually at a show.
  • Options
    Aussie357 wrote:
    What is surprising and a little disappointing to me (aside from the flippers, who we enable by paying their ridiculous prices) is that 10 Club (knowing that none of us can make it to every show) doesn't hold back a small number of posters from each show, for post concert sales on the website for die hard fans who appreciate the artists, or are collectors - and limit it to one per member.

That's pretty much what 10club does already. There are posters going back to shows from 2009. I bought a couple of 06 show posters from 10club back in 2007. Although I think all they do is sell the ones that didn't sell at the show. As far as them holding some back I don't really like the idea, since a smaller supply of posters at the show will also increase demand, and resale price. Plus I am not sure I like the idea that 10 club members get a chance to get show posters, taking away chances from people who were actually at a show.

Ok, so no matter what is written someone will misconstrue or pick it apart. No offense Kel, I should have been more thorough - it was late.
    I shouldn't have used the phrase "holding some back". I would never suggest taking away opportunity from show attendees - they should get unconditional first option on anything show related. Perhaps I was leaning more toward the production of some additional merch for post show sales to members who couldn't attend the show.
    I agree, 10 Club does make "left over" posters available to the rest of us - but perhaps they are from the shows where the artwork was less desirable to the masses? Once again, NOT complaining :)
    It's all good - at the end of the day we are all going to look for ways to obtain merch that we personally love, so whether it benefits 10 Club & our favorite band, or a flipper charging offensive prices, we'll find a way to get what we want I guess :D
    Cheers!
  • Options
    And that is sort of why the thing with people buying a bunch of posters and selling them doesn't really bother me. Since as you showed the price of an 03 poster, which once cost over 100, now can be bought for around 60. I am sure if anyone is patient enough and wants an Edmonton poster, either it will be up on 10club after the tour or the price will drop as time goes by and people forget about it. The amount of people who are willing to pay $200 because they need to have it now, is small and if there are people who have the means to do it and don't realize that typically these posters don't hold that value then what can you do?

well, I waited a good five years to get it. believe me, I was patient, but the price was hovering around that for so long, and relatively, it didn't come down in price much if really at all. many of these posters do more than hold their value, they increase in value with the more rare they become as time goes on. the more they change hands, the fewer they sell later on.

it should be one poster per person, no ifs ands or buts.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014