*** Milwaukee I Fanviews 6/29 Here ***

Comments

• pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    I felt they could and should have just kept playing. I was so embarassed of the crowd cause it was a petty crowd. You could tell who the pj fans were cause we were going crazy for every song. Many favs last nite. In Hiding, and Inside Job to name a few. I got so into it I was yelling for petty fans to get in the act. Nice to see a full crowd but petty fans no love for pj. I was on stone's side 20 th row. I'll be back 2nite once again going crazy for pj and trying to wake the fucking petty fans up. I like petty but right now its all PJ. See yea there tonight

Agreed, I would have loved to see the Petty fans get more into PJ. There was an older woman Petty fan in the row behind me and I think she was laughing at me since I was jumping around and singing along to all the PJ songs. There were a handful of Petty fans sitting by me but when I looked back from where I was (25th row center) it appeared that most of the venue was standing and it was pretty packed for PJ but not full. It did appear though that a good portion of the crowd was just standing for PJ but not really that into it. CANT WAIT FOR TONIGHT!!!!!
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • jamestr1jamestr1 Posts: 185
    AWESOME show, much, much better than St Paul I.

I was Row Z, Stone's side. They were great seats. I didn't take the camera, didn't want to carry it around Summerfest. I was getting worried when the power was still out at 5:30. Thanks to WE Energies for getting it back on in time for us to have a rockin' show. It was great to meet a few fellow fans - Jeff, Patrick, and Laura. I didn't get the names of the fans beside me. The two guys to my right were rockin' hard and jumping around to PJ all night, just like me. And the ladies to my wife's left, one was a PJ fan, the other a petty fan. They both seemed to be having a great time.

Again the show was awesome. I love hearing all the new songs. It was great to hear Life Wasted, WWS, Comatose. Inside Job was the highlight of the show for me. Mike and the band were awesome. Stone was rockin hard tonight. I was glad to see him getting into it and thought he did a great job. Wow, we got an encore! Before the encore started the guy next to me wanted Crazy Mary, I wanted Leash, and the other guy wanted Porch and we got them all. It was sweet.

It did seem like something personal happened in Ed's life yesterday. It was a very emotional show for him. Everyone else seemed to be up and on key, maybe Mike was a little down. There was no behind-the-head solo.

Petty was good. We stayed for almost the whole show. Left probably just before Ed came out for American Girl. It was good. The set started out identical to StP I. It was good. Nice to sit down a few times ;) It was worth the extra money.

I can't wait to see them again tonight. I'll be in the bleachers with my wife and son tonight. His first concert.

I still have an exta if anyone is interested. get back to my be 1:30!
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    pureoc wrote:
    Agreed, I would have loved to see the Petty fans get more into PJ. There was an older woman Petty fan in the row behind me and I think she was laughing at me since I was jumping around and singing along to all the PJ songs. There were a handful of Petty fans sitting by me but when I looked back from where I was (25th row center) it appeared that most of the venue was standing and it was pretty packed for PJ but not full. It did appear though that a good portion of the crowd was just standing for PJ but not really that into it. CANT WAIT FOR TONIGHT!!!!!

There was a few older gals who were also kinda laughing at the singing us pj fans were doing on every song. I just yelled even louder when they would turn there head. Do they forget they are at a rock concert? I saw 2 gals with pink glitter hats. Sorry that was more funny then myself singing. Jezzz I live and love milwaukee but man petty fans need to see how a real rock show takes place. I'm so shocked with myself cause I like petty also. But hes nothing compared to PJ. Ok I'm off my soap box.
    YES TONIGHT WE DO IT AGAIN. AND SING LOUDER FOR THOSE PETTY FANS, WAKE THEM UP.

heheh
  • come backcome back Posts: 1
    tschav wrote:
    for a short setlist, that's really, really nice.
    They played 3 songs more then the last petty show! plus 20 songs plus another with petty. That is less than a half an hour th
    en cincy and pit! so in my mind! i'll go to a pearl jam show with 21 songs! like i said 6 songs less than cincy and pitt! a short set would be 12 -14 songs! NOT 21 songs!
    be good!
  • edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    ~

We spend the afternoon drinking beer and lots of water. The beer kegs never stopped flowing during the power outage. Summerfest felt very strange without the music. AtPeace and I found the PJ meeting spot and we ended up spending a couple hours with some super cool collage chicks. After 5:00PM we wandered over to the Marcus gates and could hear Peal Jam sound checking. I couldn’t make out the song and heard only one played. After a long wait the gates were finally open and the race was on for posters and more beer. Only one PJ show poster was allowed per person. No TP / PJ show poster.

Tonight the GREATEST FUCKING BAND EVER and GREATEST FUCKING FAN CLUB EVER had us setting 2nd row in front of JEFF.

So here’s a good part. Ten Club members have the 2nd row filled and waiting for the set to start. As we wait we could see there are only 2 of 25 seats taken in the front row, center section. So about 3 minutes before show time one couple started the migration and in seconds we had all the right people in the front row.

Avocado outro music, house lights out, let the show begin. Wasted Reprise as opener followed by Life’s Wasted should not be missed. I hope everyone gets this combo somewhere along the way. I’m all about the The Avocado. It’s the first PJ CD in awhile for me that I just can’t seem to get out of my CD player. The 4 new songs to start this evening were played loud and as intense as it gets. It would be a dream comes true if they played the rest of Avocado tonight. From here Animal, Why Go, Comatose and Leash were scattered throughout the set and were all short, fast, and very very hard! Rearviewmirror to close the first set had Ed jamming out on his guitar fast and furious.

The Marcus Amphitheatre stage is long and wide. It’s also the lowest (shortest) stage I’ve ever seen in a venue of this size (3 feet tall at most). At the edge of the stage (in the center) there were a couple P.A. speakers stacked up. They closed the gap between us and the band to maybe TWO FEET!! During Jeremy Ed came to this point to finish the song and I’ve never been closer to the man while he sang…up until that moment. A special moment for me! Yes in deed.

Inside Job is getting better live. This evenings edition was the best I’ve seen this tour. I think this song could evolve into something pretty great in concert.

I have to tell you about the fan setting to my left during PJ. This guy was rocking like no other. His spirit and enthusiasm for the set and performance was infectious. If you hear “I Love You” repeatedly on the bootleg, this is him. Because of him Crazy Mary and Porch tonight would be “as special as it gets” for a few die hard fans upfront.

During Crazy Mary Ed handed him his bottle of wine and motioned for him to share it and he did! I DRANK FROM ED’s BOTTLE OF WINE FUCKERS!! 14 year wait finally over (now I want the bottle). I took a giant swig and passed the bottle. The wine tasted like red hot fire going down, strong and full favored. The band rips into Leash and is this song welcome back or what? Wow, how intense can it get!

Think that’s cool? Well the best was yet to come for us front row hoppers.

Our last song tonight would be Porch. The jam was short, tight and focused. The end of the song had Ed once again on that speaker, a couple feet away from us, singing the end of the song. And then it happened, I think Ed really appreciated the energy from the front section, especially the fan to my left. The man was just total energy and because of it we enjoyed another memory so special it left me mesmerized. I didn’t know how to respond after it was all over. So anyway at the end of Porch when the music is climaxing and Ed singing his heart out “I know that i would not ever touch you, Hold you, Feel you, Ever hold” he squats down on that speaker right in front of us and reaches out his hand!!! Myself, AtPeacew/MyLust and my new best friend each were able to reach out, look into his eyes, and hold his hand and arm as he finished the song. Oh, MY FUCKING WORD!! I just won’t be able to describe the moment any further. I wish that moment for everyone reading this.

That’s it for now. I will review Mr. Petty’s set later. But I will tell you I enjoyed it very much. I was a Tom Petty fan long before Pearl Jam existed. First time seeing The Heartbreakers perform live in close to 10 years for me. Here Comes My Girl was very nice to hear again live. Tom said it was their first time playing it in 7 years.

Nothing more needed on this night. We just float back to the hotel and start a good nights rest.

See ya night II freaks.

~

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    jamestr wrote:
    AWESOME show, much, much better than St Paul I.

I was Row Z, Stone's side. They were great seats. I didn't take the camera, didn't want to carry it around Summerfest. I was getting worried when the power was still out at 5:30. Thanks to WE Energies for getting it back on in time for us to have a rockin' show. It was great to meet a few fellow fans - Jeff, Patrick, and Laura. I didn't get the names of the fans beside me. The two guys to my right were rockin' hard and jumping around to PJ all night, just like me. And the ladies to my wife's left, one was a PJ fan, the other a petty fan. They both seemed to be having a great time.

Again the show was awesome. I love hearing all the new songs. It was great to hear Life Wasted, WWS, Comatose. Inside Job was the highlight of the show for me. Mike and the band were awesome. Stone was rockin hard tonight. I was glad to see him getting into it and thought he did a great job. Wow, we got an encore! Before the encore started the guy next to me wanted Crazy Mary, I wanted Leash, and the other guy wanted Porch and we got them all. It was sweet.

It did seem like something personal happened in Ed's life yesterday. It was a very emotional show for him. Everyone else seemed to be up and on key, maybe Mike was a little down. There was no behind-the-head solo.

Petty was good. We stayed for almost the whole show. Left probably just before Ed came out for American Girl. It was good. The set started out identical to StP I. It was good. Nice to sit down a few times ;) It was worth the extra money.

I can't wait to see them again tonight. I'll be in the bleachers with my wife and son tonight. His first concert.

I still have an exta if anyone is interested. get back to my be 1:30!

Nice meeting you also last nite. Great time rocking to pj. Have a great time taking your son.
  • So before the show while waiting in line to get in my girlfriend spotted Mike standing by the main big gate enterance with the big 23 on it............only 4 or 5 of us saw him, went over and said hey really quick, pretty cool.

They started at 8 because of that damn power outage............

The Evenflow solo was so so bad. People were looking around at each other like "what the fuck". I felt bad for mike it was so bad.

I agree with some of the others.............too much new stuff, Inside Job is okay and all in a full set but I don't like to see it with the Petty stuff.

Sound issues at the beginning of the show.......Ed broke a string during rearview mirror. Jeff's bass went out during a song towards the beginning......stone had issues. Sound cut in and out a few times. I don't know why petty's sound was so much better......

Highlights: Rearviewmirror, Save it For Later, Porch, Crazy Mary.

THE WAITING was fucking awesome. Just perfectly sung...........i think petty was red faced, maybe teared up. I can't be sure. Ed's dancing during American Girl was hysterical.

I met some really awesome people waiting for posters and in line to get into the venue. But there was some total morons there too..........and the total morons were almost all petty fans. Think extra from an old dukes of hazzard episode with a miller light in their hand.

I'm pretty bummed this is my only show this tour...........it was only about an 8 out of 10 overall.
  • Royals55Royals55 Posts: 38
    Good on you Edwho hopfully tonite you will get the bottle!!
    2005 Thunder Bay,Toronto
    2006 Toronto X 2
    2006 Cleveland, Cincinnati
    2006 Arnhem, Barcelona
    2007 The Vic,Lolla, Chicago
    2008 Bonnaroo,MSG1,MSG2 ,Hartford, Mansfield1
    EV Vancouverx2
  • Royals17Royals17 Posts: 91
    edwho wrote:
    ~

We spend the afternoon drinking beer and lots of water. The beer kegs never stopped flowing during the power outage. Summerfest felt very strange without the music. AtPeace and I found the PJ meeting spot and we ended up spending a couple hours with some super cool collage chicks. After 5:00PM we wandered over to the Marcus gates and could hear Peal Jam sound checking. I couldn’t make out the song and heard only one played. After a long wait the gates were finally open and the race was on for posters and more beer. Only one PJ show poster was allowed per person. No TP / PJ show poster.

Tonight the GREATEST FUCKING BAND EVER and GREATEST FUCKING FAN CLUB EVER had us setting 2nd row in front of JEFF.

So here’s a good part. Ten Club members have the 2nd row filled and waiting for the set to start. As we wait we could see there are only 2 of 25 seats taken in the front row, center section. So about 3 minutes before show time one couple started the migration and in seconds we had all the right people in the front row.

Avocado outro music, house lights out, let the show begin. Wasted Reprise as opener followed by Life’s Wasted should not be missed. I hope everyone gets this combo somewhere along the way. I’m all about the The Avocado. It’s the first PJ CD in awhile for me that I just can’t seem to get out of my CD player. The 4 new songs to start this evening were played loud and as intense as it gets. It would be a dream comes true if they played the rest of Avocado tonight. From here Animal, Why Go, Comatose and Leash were scattered throughout the set and were all short, fast, and very very hard! Rearviewmirror to close the first set had Ed jamming out on his guitar fast and furious.

The Marcus Amphitheatre stage is long and wide. It’s also the lowest (shortest) stage I’ve ever seen in a venue of this size (3 feet tall at most). At the edge of the stage (in the center) there were a couple P.A. speakers stacked up. They closed the gap between us and the band to maybe TWO FEET!! During Jeremy Ed came to this point to finish the song and I’ve never been closer to the man while he sang…up until that moment. A special moment for me! Yes in deed.

Inside Job is getting better live. This evenings edition was the best I’ve seen this tour. I think this song could evolve into something pretty great in concert.

I have to tell you about the fan setting to my left during PJ. This guy was rocking like no other. His spirit and enthusiasm for the set and performance was infectious. If you hear “I Love You” repeatedly on the bootleg, this is him. Because of him Crazy Mary and Porch tonight would be “as special as it gets” for a few die hard fans upfront.

Ed handed him his bottle of wine and motioned for him to share it and he did! I DRANK FROM ED’s BOTTLE OF WINE FUCKERS!! 14 year wait finally over (now I want the bottle). I took a giant swig and passed the bottle. The wine tasted like red hot fire going down, strong and full favored. The band rips into Leash and is this song welcome back or what? Wow, how intense can it get!

Our last song tonight would be Porch. The jam was short, tight and focused. The end of the song had Ed once again on that speaker, a couple feet away from us, singing the end of the song. And then it happened, I think Ed really appreciated the energy from the front section, especially the fan to my left. The man was just total energy and because of it we enjoyed another memory so special it left me mesmerized. I didn’t know how to respond after it was all over. So anyway at the end of Porch when the music is climaxing and Ed singing his heart out “I know that i would not ever touch you, Hold you, Feel you, Ever hold” he squats down on that speaker right in front of us and reaches out his hand!!! Myself, AtPeacew/MyLust and my new best friend each were able to reached out look into his eyes and hold his hand and arm as he finished the song. Oh, MY FUCKING WORD!! I just won’t be able to describe the moment any further. I wish that moment for everyone reading this.

That’s it for now. I will review Mr. Petty’s set later. But I will tell you I enjoyed it very much. I was a Tom Petty fan long before I was a Pearl Jam fan. First time seeing The Heartbreakers perform live in close to 10 years. Here Comes My Girl was very nice to hear again live. Tom said it was their first time playing it in 7 years.

Nothing more needed on this night. We just float back to the hotel and start a good nights rest.

See ya night II freaks.

~
    Awesome, just awesome! Soo happy for you and Atpeace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    98: Barrie
    00: Nawlins, Saratoga, Tor, Det, Phx
    01: Bridge
    03: Raleigh, Char, Buf, Det x2, Tor, Mont
    05: T-Bay, Kit, Lon, Ham, Tor
    06: Tor x2, Clev, Cin, Arnhem, Honolulu x2
    07: Vic, Lolla, Tor(EV) Body of War
    08: Van(EV) x2, Hart, Bos x2, Tor(EV) x2
    09: Tor
    10: Jazz Fest, Clev, Buf
    11: Det(EV), Tor x2, Ham
    12: FLL(EV)
    13: Pit, Buf, Cal
    14: Det, Den
    15: NYC
  • mpg82mpg82 Posts: 83
    We moved from row FF to L sec 2 dead center. Poor crowd for a PJ show, but not as bad as Chicago 2003. It was all corporate people in the front. My buddy and I were jumping and singing along; we didn't give a rats ass if noone else was. I paid $100 for a ticket and I've never been closer to the stage ever. I tried to get the guy next to me to sing Jeremy but he didn't know the words. The people in back sounded great, you definitely heard them loud and clear from where we were sitting. A corporate guy behind kept talking sh*t about us moving down and eventually ratted on us, though there were noone in the seats we were in. I for some reason got to stay, and one of my buddies came back down two songs after. A lot of fibs in the crowd too, especially in front. Four kids in front of me about eighteen stood "listless" for the whole set.

The PJ set was good and I loved Why Go, Leash, Porch. The band had a lot of energy they got real into it. Mike sounded real bad during the Even Flow solo. I thought they played too many new songs. But for a shortened setlist, I was REAL satisfied with it. I was not expecting an encore. I'd like to know how the bootleg sounds because I can't buy it right now.

After PJ finished, we had that feeling like "aw man it's over, let's go", but we had a fully Petty show ahead of us. The crowd for Petty was so much better. I didn't think that PJ should open up for them, but it's clear he packed more people in last night. The fireworks during "Free Fallin" were awesome.

See you tonight.
    6/26/98, 6/27/98, 06/13/99, 10/08/00, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/29/06, 6/30/06, 5/7/10
  • pjdeadheadpjdeadhead Posts: 71
    Last night was an over all good night. The power outage had me very nervous. To me PJ's sound was not nearly has clear as Petty's. The set was good, not great, but hey, it's still 90 minuets of PJ!!! Something was wrong with Mike's guitar during the Flow solo, it just didn't sound right. I do have to say thT was one of the best Betterman's I have seen. The encore of Mary>Leash>Porch made the night! They could have played just these 3 songs and I would have been happy. I took my 17 year cousin to the show last night, his first. I had more fun watching him then the boys! Tonight should be more fun, I don't have to drive so I can get myself more "under the influence". Heading out the doorm hopefully the power is on when I get there!
    3/28/92 3/10/94 3/14/94 7/8/95 7/9/95
    7/11/95 6/26/98 6/27/98 6/29/98 6/30/98
    7/2/98 8/18/00 10/8/00 (coldest show ever!!)
    10/9/00 4/21/03 4/22/03 4/23/03 4/25/03
    6/18/03 6/21/03 6/22/03 5/16/06 5/17/06
    On the horizon....
    6/29/06 6/30/06
  • IwasBit10IwasBit10 Posts: 646
    After they walked off the stage after RVM, I wanted to cry. Thank god they saved the show by coming back out and dropping the leash. Awesome surprise. Everytime I started to feel good about the set, they'd play something that turned that feeling around. Examples: In Hiding(awesome) into Even Flow(not so much), Gone(shed a tear on this one, really relate to the song) into Betterman(don't care if I never see this song live again, "has lost all feeling" for me), Why Go(really rocked, love singing "She's been diagnosed/by some stupid fuck") into Jeremy(the band wasn't feeling it and neither was I). But the encore was awesome, can't really describe it with words. Boom is the shit. I felt Petty rocked hard and I was very impressed. Fireworks were awesome, almost surreal, especially during Last Dance with Mary Jane, yup. Handle With Care and The Waiting with Eddie made the Petty show for me. I really wanted to hear The Waiting anyway, but to have Ed sing it gave me the chills. I probably hadn't heard some of those Petty songs in 4 or 5 years but could still sing every word. His new song rocks also.
    I decided to sit on the lawn last night, and I'm just about out the door for tonight's show, in which i will be in 10c seats. The lawn was awful. Me and my bud felt alone out there. We had to be the only ones singing along with PJ in our entire lawn section. It was a disgrace, people just don't understand PJ. Felt like a lot of people were just there to get drunk(it is Wisconsin) and call their buds on their cell phones to tell them where they are and how fucked up they are. I guess my expectations were a little high, as they are now as well. PEACE
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
  • BrainOfJHABrainOfJHA KC Posts: 695
    Can we get a Tom Petty set list as well? I heard he played a song he hasn't played in seven years at this show. Does anybody have it?
  • come back wrote:
    They played 3 songs more then the last petty show! plus 20 songs plus another with petty. That is less than a half an hour th
    en cincy and pit! so in my mind! i'll go to a pearl jam show with 21 songs! like i said 6 songs less than cincy and pitt! a short set would be 12 -14 songs! NOT 21 songs!
    be good!
    You are right!!! They got more than we did at St. Paul anyway it's all good!!!
    Rapid City 98
  • SlickslickaSlickslicka Doniphan, NE Posts: 92
    edwho wrote:
    ~

During Crazy Mary Ed handed him his bottle of wine and motioned for him to share it and he did! I DRANK FROM ED’s BOTTLE OF WINE FUCKERS!! 14 year wait finally over (now I want the bottle). I took a giant swig and passed the bottle. The wine tasted like red hot fire going down, strong and full favored. The band rips into Leash and is this song welcome back or what? Wow, how intense can it get!

Our last song tonight would be Porch. The jam was short, tight and focused. The end of the song had Ed once again on that speaker, a couple feet away from us, singing the end of the song. And then it happened, I think Ed really appreciated the energy from the front section, especially the fan to my left. The man was just total energy and because of it we enjoyed another memory so special it left me mesmerized. I didn’t know how to respond after it was all over. So anyway at the end of Porch when the music is climaxing and Ed singing his heart out “I know that i would not ever touch you, Hold you, Feel you, Ever hold” he squats down on that speaker right in front of us and reaches out his hand!!! Myself, AtPeacew/MyLust and my new best friend each were able to reach out, look into his eyes, and hold his hand and arm as he finished the song. Oh, MY FUCKING WORD!! I just won’t be able to describe the moment any further. I wish that moment for everyone reading this.

That’s it for now. I will review Mr. Petty’s set later. But I will tell you I enjoyed it very much. I was a Tom Petty fan long before Pearl Jam existed. First time seeing The Heartbreakers perform live in close to 10 years for me. Here Comes My Girl was very nice to hear again live. Tom said it was their first time playing it in 7 years.

See ya night II freaks.

~

Man you got my heart pumpin' Can't wait for the Denver shows!!
    1995-06-19, 2000-10-12, 2003-06-12, 2003-06-13, 2006-07-02, 2006-07-03, 2010-05-03, 2011-09-03, 2011-09-04, 2013-11-15, 2013-11-16
  • bigwalibigwali Posts: 3
    Folks, Don't be fooled. If your a music fan, you had to appreciate the big show last night from both bands. Everything came together last night to produce a memorable night where fans stood from start to finish for both shows of Pearl Jam & Petty. The energy and focus of Pearl Jam was evident early on. Eddie was clearly on a mission it showed. He put the wine bottle down and spent the night focusing on the band, the music and the sold out crowd. It's not often that everything comes together like it did last night. And Tom Petty also delivered. It was a tall order to match Pearl Jam's intensity and crowd pleasing tunes but it executed. I've seen over 200 artists over the years and first saw PJ at Marcus in 1995. This show was in the top 5 overall of all concerts. Well done! 5 out of 5 stars!
  • moxyfopmoxyfop Posts: 16
    edwho wrote:
    ~

We spend the afternoon drinking beer and lots of water. The beer kegs never stopped flowing during the power outage. Summerfest felt very strange without the music. AtPeace and I found the PJ meeting spot and we ended up spending a couple hours with some super cool collage chicks.

~

Great meeting you guys :) Glad we come across as super cool to other PJ fans rather than super dorky around "normal" (unenlightened) non-PJ people...

Hopefully we can hang out again pre-party-style sometime soon... we'll have to get to work on new t.shirts!!
  • I found the show a bit disappointing tonight.........I love the new album but they played a few too many songs from it. They still rocked out pretty hard though, my biggest complaints are that the song choices for the encore werent the greatest and mike seemed to have taken the night off from the guitar because I have seen him play much better than he did tonight. All in all it was a decent show, not the best, but I still enjoyed it more than Tom Petty actually.

well only 2 songs from the new record tonight made up for the 7 last night.
    ~I'd list my shows here, but I've long since lost count~
  • drollydrolly Posts: 41
    Agreed with those who said the 7 songs off the new album was a bit much for a short setlist. Crowd was extremely dead during PJ. We had people sitting or not even show up all around us during the show, to the left, to the right, in front, and behind. Decent seats from 10c, Section 1 (Stone's side), about halfway up, towards the middle.

NOTHING off of No Code. NOTHING off of Riot Act. NOTHING off of Binaural. Real disappointing. Maybe just for me because I'm not as in love with the new album as most people on here apparently.

Nice to hear Petty mixed it up a bit, maybe the poor reviews from the PJ folks made a difference, I don't know. After hearing the EXACT same 5 songs open with the EXACT SAME in between banter and the EXACT SAME bony ass shaking as in St. Paul, we left the Petty show. Funny though with the fireworks going off for Free Fallin'. He just seems so mechanical with the show that the fireworks really seemed to throw him off because he had to come up with something off the cuff to say.
    I always finish what I sta
  • daanartsdaanarts Posts: 130
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    I

Ed was bothered by something, still don't know if it was the anny of the deaths, sleater Kin breaking up or someone else dying today. He mentioned they were going through some tough stuff today, and you could tell he was a little out of it at times.

maybe it is about the missing pearl jam fan he talks about in cincinatti
    I change by not changing at all.
  • iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    So because of AWFUL traffic and NO parking, we got there late (during WWS, so we only missed "Life Wasted", but I'm still pissed). The crowd in my section, the uncovered bleachers, was awful. They were all pretty much ignoring PJ through their entire set, walking around, talking, smoking and drinking. It was kind of hard to concentrate, especially when that one speaker kept going out. So screw you, Petty fans that were sitting around us and couldn't understand why we were standing up and singing.
    Other than that, Pearl Jam was rocking. REARVIEWMIRROR! ANIMAL! IN HIDING! WHY GO! CRAZY MARY! Not to mention that I finally heard LEASH live!!! (When I heard the opening chords I yelled "Holy shit!" and some people in front of me turned around and stared...) I'm so glad they got to do an encore.
    Ed was extremely hot. Glad they had the screens up so I could see his facial expressions. He seemed emotional at times (probably because of the Roskilde anniversary and other things), but he was so smiley during the Petty songs that it was really cute. Did anybody else notice him doing a weird motion with his arms whenever he sang the word "clone", like during "Why Go" and "Do The Evolution"? My friends and I were mimicking it for the rest of the night. They played for a lot longer than I thought they would, which was a relief.
    Petty's set was cool, I was just annoyed that his fans around me had no respect for PJ. And I'm glad Eddie came out for "The Waiting" and "American Girl".
    By the way...did anybody else get overwhelmed by the giant cloud of weed smoke? By the end of the night we'd been breathing the fumes so much that we were pretty giggly.
    Oh yeah, and as we were leaving, I swear we saw Mike McCready standing near a window in a building near the arena (koala shirt and everything!). That was awesome. :)
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • SurrealSurreal Posts: 6
    Hats off to 10C member "skintowin!"

Okay, I'm having trouble reading his writing but I think that's what he scribbled down for his screen name.

The backstory: There was a snafu with my 10C Summerfest ticket order in that it went "poof" on the Internet and never went through. Panicked, I bought what I could as soon as I could from the dreaded Ticketmaster. Then I found a 10C member who couldn't go to the show. Relief! But still I had two not-so-great tickets to sell.

To sweeten the deal to the Petty fans to whom we eventually sold the tickets, my husband offered that we would trade seats after Pearl Jam; they could be in row 24 for Petty. I reluctantly agreed because a guy was trying to sell this same couple even better bleacher seats than I had to sell.

Because of the kind and generous skiutowin, who gave us his tickets after the PJ show, we got to stay in our seats to see Eddie sing the two Petty songs. It was pretty big for him because he feels about his tickets the way I feel about my tickets: you NEED that memento.

Not everyone would say yes to giving up their tickets, even as they were leaving for the long drive home. And I like to think he said yes because Pearl Jam fans are like that with each other.

"M," if you're reading this, the tickets are in the mail and on their way back to you.

Forever grateful,
    -Surreal
  • locatlocat Posts: 11
    I missed Elvis Costello during the 40 min. intermission, because I had to call home and make sure that Sleeter-Kinney were O.K.!! When they played "Crazy Mary" I was sure there must have been a terrible car accident. They are just breaking-up, after Lollapalooza, Thanks, Eddie.... I feel bad I didn't think about that whole Rodskil tragedy.
    FYI if you are seeing the last PJ/Heartbreaters dates, PLEASE don't get any preconcievied ideas from these posts. Petty and the Heartbreakers will ROCK YOU!! Eddie is so honored to share the the stage and it's so much fun!!!
    Petty and the Heartbreakers=30 Years
    Pearl Jam =15 years
    I hope I'm still around 15 years from now, in the year 2021, when the fans from the best, most vibrant live band you ever see live in their prime, co-headlines with Pearl Jam and you can read comments from fans dissing Eddie and the band for playing "World Wide Suicide" .....AGAIN!! And that "Jeremy" song is so..... 1991! Maybe you'll even be there with your kid!!
    There were alot of alot of arguments about the 2 sets. Why didn't Petty mix it up a little more? It's not like they're lacking in material.....but the bony-ass mullet-bashing-thing was cruel!!
    Sure, Petty and the Heartbreakers put on more of a "production", but it is THEIR 30th Aniversary Tour. I bet that the fans in the upper sections/lawn would have appreciated the video screens being utilized during Pearl Jam. We're to cool to use the video screens???
    Summerfest and Milwaukee are SO COOL!! If you've never been, start planning next year's vacation to include this destination. No one has mentioned that the BoDeans, Common, Blue Oyster Cult, Marcia Ball, REO Speedwagon, Kean, and Elvis Costello (we did all shout a "HEY" to to Elvis which was cool!) played during PJ/TP sets. I was hoping to see a "Don't Fear the Reaper" jam!! (just kidding) Different strokes for different folks, but you can't deny the cool mix of humanity and music for a maximum $15 entrance fee!! See my post for Night 2.
    My fan club #157XXX yielded Sec.3 row R seats , but we stood 10th row center section for PJ. Petty fans showed up late and PJ fans left early.
    Actually, I could see better from my R seats for Petty than 10th row Pearl Jam because the rise begins at row N and the 2 rows in front of me, believe it or not, were empty!! I felt so bad for The Heartbreakers after reading the Excel posts that I left my PJ shirt at the hotel, and wore my Petty T-shirt as a show of support!!
    Pearl Jam and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers is, by far, one of the best double bills I've ever seen, and I've been to more shows than probably 99% of you will ever see, but now I sound like David Fricke, sorry.
    I'm still buzzing, ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!
    I'd like to thank all the members of BOTH bands equally, because it's not just Eddie and Tom, for doing what they do with such class, dignity and a true feel for the human condition. These will be 2 of the best days of my life!!
    ROCK ON!!!!!
  • edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    ~

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g186/usedbucket/june302006pearljammilwaukee004.jpg

Summerfest Sandwich Board

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g186/usedbucket/june302006pearljammilwaukee006.jpg

Concert Swag

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g186/usedbucket/june302006pearljammilwaukee008.jpg

Sister, edwho (the lucky one in this photo) and AtPeace

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g186/usedbucket/june302006pearljammilwaukee072.jpg

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers Summerfest II

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g186/usedbucket/june302006pearljammilwaukee076.jpg

Mike Campbell Summerfest II

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g186/usedbucket/june302006pearljammilwaukee085.jpg

Eddie Petty and the Heartbreakers Summerfest II

Great fest, great fans, great family, great friends, great time and great fucking American rock bands - rocking us hard.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

1983 Rosemont
    1989 Mountain View
    1994 Mountain View x 2 - BSB - w/ Pearl Jam (Footsteps with Benmont Tench)
    1997 San Francisco x 2 (first and last)
    2006 Milwaukee x 2

~

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• hockeyzephockeyzep Posts: 1
    Sorry everyone...I was at this show and until the encore, it sucked balls--mike sounded terrible--especially during that debacle(spelling) of a solo during even-flow--what happened...Both shows I saw this tour the even flow solo was crap---the set list was a major dissappointment--i didnt think they were doing an encore and was super pissed off when i thought RVM was the closer---The encore was good, I was hoping for crazy mary and it was cool to see leash, porch was also good but nowhere near as good as the(5/16) Chicago show---they played every song off the new album except the 2 i wanted to hear(army reserve and come back)---Just a MAJOR dissapointment--i know this will piss alot of people off but come on, take the blinders off and call a spade a spade-shitty overall show--Petty was good though
  • nimsu8nimsu8 Posts: 321
    Is anyone looking for a poster from 6/29 or 6/30? I have an extra.
    Buffalo - 1996; Montreal, Hartford - 1998; San Antonio - 2003; Milwaukee - 2006; Berkeley II - 2008; MSG I - 2008

MSG I pics: http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll22/nimsu8/MSG 1/
  • Riot_MacRiot_Mac Posts: 473
    hockeyzep wrote:
    Sorry everyone...I was at this show and until the encore, it sucked balls--mike sounded terrible--especially during that debacle(spelling) of a solo during even-flow--what happened...Both shows I saw this tour the even flow solo was crap---the set list was a major dissappointment--i didnt think they were doing an encore and was super pissed off when i thought RVM was the closer---The encore was good, I was hoping for crazy mary and it was cool to see leash, porch was also good but nowhere near as good as the(5/16) Chicago show---they played every song off the new album except the 2 i wanted to hear(army reserve and come back)---Just a MAJOR dissapointment--i know this will piss alot of people off but come on, take the blinders off and call a spade a spade-shitty overall show--Petty was good though

i thought it rocked!! better than the second night. I was glad they played so many new songs, the new album kicks ass. Both shows were great. I think night 1 rocked quite a bit more. Mikes Even Flow solo sucked in person, but on the boot it sounds alright... weird
    "hear my name, take a good look, this could be the day."
  • Royals55Royals55 Posts: 38
    Ed nice pics as usual.
    2005 Thunder Bay,Toronto
    2006 Toronto X 2
    2006 Cleveland, Cincinnati
    2006 Arnhem, Barcelona
    2007 The Vic,Lolla, Chicago
    2008 Bonnaroo,MSG1,MSG2 ,Hartford, Mansfield1
    EV Vancouverx2
  • jasone6jasone6 Posts: 66
    ...of my 14 PJ shows, this one was the only one where PJ played first, and the only one where someone played after them......

BUT...

It will still go down in my mind as one of the most rockin' shows I've ever been to. Thought I'd leave shortly after Petty started to go back to Chicago and salvage some of the night. Convinced my friend Jeff to head back to our (awesome) seats for the start of Petty's set. 30-seconds into it, i knew we were in for a real treat.

4th of July weekened,
    Milwaukee,
    Pearl Jam,
    Tom Petty,
    American Rock'n'Roll

'nuff said.

I might have a different opinion if this was my first PJ show, but I have zero complaints about the shortness of the set since TP was so (unexpectedly) enjoyable. Cheers to him, and cheers to Ed for simply NAILING "The Waiting," and "American Girl." (Cheers also to 10Club for my seats!)
    1995: Milwaukee/Summerfest 1; 1998: Indianapolis, Greenville, Knoxville; 2000: Lisbon, London 1 & 2, Detroit, Alpine Valley, Chicago; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Summerfest 1 & 2 (w/ Tom Petty), Sydney 1 & 3, Melbourne 1, 2 & 3; 2007: The Vic, Lollapalooza
  • WickedJeremyWickedJeremy Posts: 229
    drolly wrote:
    Agreed with those who said the 7 songs off the new album was a bit much for a short setlist.

My opinion:

Personally, I think it's cool playing so many new ones. I've seen PJ close to a dozen times, I know what their previous material sounds like, I've experienced it. I dig on hearing a lot of new stuff. Hell, I'd listened to the new album 3 times by showtime so it wasn't like it was unfamiliar stuff. Also, take advatage of it while you can, you never know which one of these new ones will end up being one they rarely play 2 tours from now. Look at Leash.
    -Jeremy