Options

Matt Cameron

bosshogg18bosshogg18 Tacoma, WA Posts: 1,082
edited September 2011 in The Porch
Watching Matt Cameron with Soundgarden was like cheating on your girlfriend with your wife. It was weird to see him with Soundgarden after seeing him with Pearl Jam 25+ times. With Pearl Jam, I always thought he was good, but not great. With Soundgarden he was AMAZING.
I am by no means a drumming expert, but he just had a lot more energy and his style was completely different. I don't know if this is because he was brought into PJ after they were already an established band and he had to adapt to their style, whereas with SG he was their drummer from the start. I would like to know what others think on this matter.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I think I agree with you about his energy with Soundgarden versus with Pearl Jam.
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • Options
    At the risk of becoming redundant... I'll add my two bits:

Matt was freaking amazing with Soundgarden. Tight and crisp drumming, varying tempos, even some backing vocals (loved "Black hole sun, black hole sun"!). As much as I always have liked him... he really stood out to me in Vancouver- much like the OP stated.

Wouldn't want anyone other than him for PJ though.

Hopefully Soundgarden and PJ can coordinate their activities so that Cameron can wear both hats. He's just going to have to be a busy guy. We'll cheer really loud when the bands introduce him though!!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    It's because in Soundgarden, he is a TRUE MASTER.
    To Pearl Jam, he is just a slave.
    :D:D:D

It's just different styles.
    Pearl Jam doesn't do drum heavy songs so much.
    Soundgarden really lets Matt KICK OUT THE JAMS!

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME.
    or as Cookie Monster would say,
    NOM NOM NOM!
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    CloneOfASonCloneOfASon Madison, WI Posts: 1,080
    Hopefully Soundgarden and PJ can coordinate their activities so that Cameron can wear both hats. He's just going to have to be a busy guy. We'll cheer really loud when the bands introduce him though!!

Maybe they just need to start touring together :D
  • Options

Maybe they just need to start touring together :D

As much as this would kick ass, Matt's arms would literally fall off. We don't need another Rick Allen :lol:
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    He'll always be Soundgarden's drummer to me because that's where he started out. And without a doubt Pearl Jam are more structured than SG so he has more room to do stuff, even though he has found the ability to do awesome stuff like Sleight of Hand, he kills it far more than he does in PJ. But the 2000 tour and 1998 tour he was rockin it...the magic of his Ayotte kit!
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,148
    You guys are insane. How is MC just "good" in PJ again? :lol:
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    You guys are insane. How is MC just "good" in PJ again? :lol:
    If you have seen him live with Soundgarden, then you would understand what I am talking about. I always liked Dave A. and Jack Irons more as far as PJ drummers go, but after seeing Matt with Soundgarden, I now know he is a lot better drummer than he has led on in the past with PJ...minus maybe 1998-2000. Maybe after drumming with Soundgarden he will get back to that 1998 form.
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    I wonder if Matt Cameron misses playing in SG, or if he even likes it more?
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Pearl Jam doesn't do drum heavy songs so much.
    Well they used to, then they fired the guy! :lol:

Matt Killed it at the Gorge the other night!
    NERDS!
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708

Matt was freaking amazing with Soundgarden. Tight and crisp drumming, varying tempos, even some backing vocals (loved "Black hole sun, black hole sun"!)

I actually like Matt's backing vocals that he does for Pearl Jam, way better than Jeff and Stone in that respect.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    brutusbrutus Posts: 8
    Think all this talk about Matt is funny, come on guys....

Why would Matt leave Pearl Jam - its like giving up the best paid and greatest job you have ever had. Look past his drum skills and you will find he adds a lot more to Pearl jam - Song writing, amazing backing vocals live that Eddie has not had before along side him, solid as rock drumming and a history that goes back to Stones first PJ demo tape?

Jacks not coming back or Dave A or Dave K or Matt Chamberlain and those guys all added something to PJ but not what Matt C has bring to the table over last 13 years. The partnership has worked out well for both parties.

End of story
  • Options
    Brutus...

I don't think anyone 'really thinks' Matt will leave PJ. It's really nothing more than idle chatter. For the most part (maybe I'm only speaking for myself), this thread was an opportunity to voice my absolute pleasure in watching him pound skins for the Soundgarden machine. He was awesome... and so was that band.

We live in fine, fine days. Soundgarden, DMB, Pearl Jam and the Foo Fighters in a 3 month period. Holy shit.

6 posts since 2001... I have to respect what you say though. Please do not infer this comment as anything other than clarification- we all on the same side!

brutus wrote:
    Think all this talk about Matt is funny, come on guys....

Why would Matt leave Pearl Jam - its like giving up the best paid and greatest job you have ever had. Look past his drum skills and you will find he adds a lot more to Pearl jam - Song writing, amazing backing vocals live that Eddie has not had before along side him, solid as rock drumming and a history that goes back to Stones first PJ demo tape?

Jacks not coming back or Dave A or Dave K or Matt Chamberlain and those guys all added something to PJ but not what Matt C has bring to the table over last 13 years. The partnership has worked out well for both parties.

End of story
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJ212PJ212 Posts: 811
    Matt Cameron is the reason that we are celebrating the 20th year of Pearl Jam and that is how I feel about his presence in this band.
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1
  • Options
    jimc3jimc3 Posts: 230
    I'm with the people who are a little (or even more than a little) concerned with this Soundgarden reunion (and I love Soundgarden!). Don't get me wrong: Matt is a great drummer, and he has been instrumental to where PJ is now.

But it is a fact that if Soundgarden never broke up, Matt would not be PJ's drummer. Matt has been great for PJ, but he just BELONGS more with Soundgarden. Put it this way: You replace Cameron with another drummer for PJ, and PJ is still truly PJ. You replace Cameron with another drummer for SG, and they are no longer truly SG.

I would be wary of the line of thought that says, Soundgarden is no longer a major act, they wouldn't have a full arena tour to support a new album. All it takes is one good new song that becomes popular and that dynamic changes quickly. Hell, didn't a Staley-less AIC reuinion have a hit record briefly last year?

I dunno, they have to all be at least thinking about this as a potential issue right? I just don't see, from both a physical and logistical point of view, how someone can be the full-time drummer for 2 of the most historic active bands on the planet simultaneously.