edited July 2011 in Other Music
One of my favorite bands but I have not listened to them in way too long

Today while at work I'm going to listen to all their studio albums in order
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411
    Peace Frog :mrgreen:
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    klusterfuk wrote:
    killer tune
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Cool Face RyanCool Face Ryan Posts: 1,254
    klusterfuk wrote:
    MSG II 5/21/10
    Tres Mts. Gramercy Theatre 3/26/11
    *formerly manutd3581
  • MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Singapore Posts: 1,188
    I read somewhere that LA Woman is gonna be re-released in some deluxe edition later this year.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I love the doors as well as Jim morrisons spoken word album.
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    I read somewhere that LA Woman is gonna be re-released in some deluxe edition later this year.

:o That is my favorite Doors album
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315

I'm so sick of old albums being "deluxed" to make more money. That was a great album but a little shallow, with a little bit of filler on side 2. The Doors were notorious for not quite having enough songs to fill out their albums (after the first two), so I doubt there would be worthwhile b-sides from this "deluxe" edition. So I guess we're talking about the 8th remastered version or a 180 gram vinyl (for an album with millions of prints of vinyl out there).

Anyways... I really do love the band, honestly. I just take them for what they were.

How about Spanish Caravan & Waiting for the Sun (the song)? Just awesome.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,996
    The Doors CD "live in Detriot".

GET IT!

The band is phenominal + Jim is sober and at his best vocally.

mixing is astonishing.

THE only live Doors CD you need.

Don't buy "live in Boston".

Jim is drunk thru the whole thing, awful show. (and they dont let you know that until you break the seal of the CD and read the liner notes = I want my money back)
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    locked wrote:

GET IT!

mixing is astonishing.

Jim is drunk thru the whole thing, awful show. (and they dont let you know that until you break the seal of the CD and read the liner notes = I want my money back)

I have The Doors in Concert and the Live in New York that came in the 1997 box set

But I've never bought any of the other live cd's just because I had no idea how good they would be...I knew there was a good chance they could be awful depending on how drunk Jim was at the show

If I ever see Detriot, I'll pick it up
  • san pedrosan pedro Posts: 169
    i found a live doors cd at a local pawn shop. it's "westbury music fair" from long island,ny. 4/19/68. great set! the booklet has tour dates for that year plus a transcript of everything jim morrison says between songs.
    "DON'T HATE THE PLAYER, HATE THE GAME"
    locked wrote:

GET IT!

mixing is astonishing.

I haven't heard Detroit yet, but I agree, Boston is pretty bad. I'll have to check it out though
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    One of my favourite bands.
    Natural high!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    I listened to the doors as a kid along with most of you probably. but i realized as a youngster i didnt really dig deep, stuck to the greatest hits and whatnot. two years ago or so, i really got into their catalog, it was great, so many great tunes.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
    https://www.instagram.com/tv/CPtEZYQt8j8/?utm_medium=copy_link

New interview with Robby and John for their VMP reissue of their debut album. There’s some cool stories in there I’ve never heard before. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    I love the Doors.  LA Woman is by far my favorite album from them.  Soft Parade is my least, but it's still good.  His sister is releasing a complete book of poems, spoken word stuff, etc. coming soon.  https://www.thedailybeast.com/jim-morrisons-sister-reveals-his-last-wishes-from-wanting-a-family-to-quitting-music

July 3 will be the 50th anniversary of his death. 
    For the record collectors out there, the Analogue Productions versions (all mastered from teh original tapes) are the ones to own.  They are all double 45 RPM, tip on jackets, super high end records.  They sound much better than any of the originals, even LA Woman which is a very good sounding record for its time. 
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    mrussel1 said:
    For the record collectors out there, the Analogue Productions versions (all mastered from teh original tapes) are the ones to own.  They are all double 45 RPM, tip on jackets, super high end records.  They sound much better than any of the originals, even LA Woman which is a very good sounding record for its time. 
    Good to know. My Doors LP's are pretty beat up from when I was younger and didn't take care of my vinyl and will be looking to replace them.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    mrussel1 said:

I will definitely pick these up next time I win the lottery, haha!

My own favorite Doors has long been:
    The Doors - Morrison Hotel -  45 RPM Vinyl Record

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:

They are not cheap.  Did you ever see them?
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:

They are not cheap.  Did you ever see them?
    I'll bet they sound great!  I love the few Analogue Production LP's I have in my collection.
    Did I see The Doors?  No!  Drat!  One of my biggest "wish I had seen them bands", for sure.
    I did, however meet John Densmore at a book signing in Sacramento some years ago (2014 maybe).  He was so cool- one of those people that simple exudes a good soul/spirit vibe.  You can get a flavor of that from his latest book, The Seekers.
    The 60's abounded in a lot of quasi groovy spiritual nonsense, most of it harmless, but much of it either trendy or naive.  But John has always been the real deal.  I think a lot of that comes from him having such a broad and well balanced cultural background.  You can get a sense of that through his writing about the broad spectrum of interesting people he talks about in that last book.  From Ram Dass to Lou Reed to Patti Smith to Elvin Jones and more.  And he never would boast this way, but he really does belong in that group of marvelous, expansive thinking, and highly creative folks who set the bar for us in ways that are attainable in our own less publicized lives.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Anyone bought the Morrison Hotel graphic novel?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:

I saw there is a box set and said cool.  It is actually cheaper to buy all the records separately than to buy the box set.  Is that normal?

$55 a record for 6= $330  or $400 for the box set...  I don't get it.
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:

I saw there is a box set and said cool.  It is actually cheaper to buy all the records separately than to buy the box set.  Is that normal?

Helluva box?
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:

Helluva box?
    If you want photos and an essay...

Again, I don't get it.  I love me some box sets too.  One stop shop, extra material.  In this you don't get any of that.
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:

Helluva box?
    If you want photos and an essay...

Again, I don't get it.  I love me some box sets too.  One stop shop, extra material.  In this you don't get any of that.
    I agree it's not worth $70, but I"m sure it's a very nice box.  I have their Starker/Bach box set and it's definitely the nicest one I own.  I think what happened is the box set was released first at $400.  That sold out quickly and then they started releasing the individual records which are their standard price of $55 for 45rpm x 2 price.  All of their records that are full analog, 180-200 gram, doubles are that price.  So I'm not sure the price strategy was deliberate in that way, rather they felt the market supported $400 when it was released.  The box is back ordered and I haven't seen it ever come back in stock. 
    edited June 2021
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah, that's crazy.  A lot of extra money for the box and a few extras.  Ka-ching! 
    Besides which, I'm sure you could pick up excellent used copies of most of their stuff for less than $55.  That's what I've done for the four regular titles I have plus  a Russian collection import I cheap.  The only new Doors album I bought was Live in New York put out by Rhino that was very reasonable when in came out.  One of my biggest ever lucked-out on eBay scores is a like-new vinyl copy of The Matrix Tapes- Live at San Francisco 1967.  I think I paid a little under $20 for that one and now it's super hard to find at all these days (there are currently none available on Discogs or eBay).  Deals like that just don't happen any more.
    Post edited by brianlux on

www.RLMcDaniel.com

The Collected Works of Jim Morrison: Poetry, Journals, Transcripts, and Lyrics https://www.amazon.com/dp/0063028972/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_P1T07E7H1DDNYHDBNYJ8
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,606
    I got a flawless soft parade for a buck. I guess whomever owned it didn't like it and rarely spun.  I love it
    Loujoe said:
    I got a flawless soft parade for a buck. I guess whomever owned it didn't like it and rarely spun.  I love it
    Recently?  Why would a store sell it for that price these days?