***Official U2 Appreciation Thread***

Comments

• Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Did anyone just see them on the Billboard Music Awards? They were being honored for the 360 tour.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    Newch91 wrote:
    Did anyone just see them on the Billboard Music Awards? They were being honored for the 360 tour.

Missed it but I would have loved to see that.....
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,996
    They purposely put out garbage ever couple of albums lately to stay "hip/ trendy"...
    And the popmart and 360 tours are one the reasons I applauded Eddie vedder wearing a "paul is dead" t- shirt the last time they backed up u2 on their zootv tour.
    But this band will be sure to put out a proper rock album next time, tour the states with a stripped down stage and I will be right back on the bandwagon!

They know what they are doing ...
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
    http://www.atu2.com/news/bono-tells-hot ... -fall.html

BONO TELLS HOT PRESS: U2 ALBUM "NEXT FALL"

In a wide-ranging interview mainly about President Barack Obama, Bono tells Hot Press magazine that the next "regular" U2 album will "probably" be out "next fall." He doesn't clarify if that's Fall 2011 or 2012.

Olaf Tyaransen interviewed Bono in early May primarily to talk about President Obama's visit this week to Ireland. But other topics came up, such as the Spider-Man project and U2's studio work. Bono says the band originally planned to have an album right about now to coincide with the North American leg of the U2 360 tour.

"Is this Songs of Ascent?," Tyaransen asks. Bono replies:
    No, actually we've got a few going (laughs). We have Songs of Ascent, which is a kind of ecstatic album, ambient, very beautiful songs. But it's a real stained-glass window of a record, elegiac, I think you could describe some of the songs, beautiful. There's one song called "Mount Zion," that's beautiful. There's a song called "Soon", there's a song called "Every Breaking Wave". Then there's -- we went in to make some club music with RedOne and we got some very extraordinary club sounding stuff, one called "I'll Believe Her When She Sings". Let me think if I can remember all of them now … "North Star", that's a ballad actually, that's a beautiful song: we've actually played it acoustically onstage a little bit on the tour. And then we, the sort of rock album -- although I think "rock" is the wrong word for it -- the next sort of "regular U2 band" album, we started to make with Danger Mouse. Brian Burton, AKA Danger Mouse. Who is like a mix of Brian Eno and Danny Lanois. He is a cerebral fellow, but with deep reserves of instinct which he prizes over intellect any day, he listens from some other part of himself. He is really making quite an impact on us, because he's really encouraging us away from all the things that we know.

Bono goes on to say that the band currently has about 10 songs with Danger Mouse, as well as 18 Spider-Man songs and 20 Spider-Man pieces of music. After switching topics, Tyaransen asks Bono about a release date for U2's next album. Says Bono:
    I think next fall. I mean, as always, it'll be ready when it's finished, although I never feel like a U2 album gets finished, we sort of finish the songs live. But when it's nearly finished, we'll release it. And that will be probably next fall. We want to get it right. I mean, look, why would anyone want another U2 album? Lots of people have them, why would they want another one? It just better be really great, and the reason why we didn't put out Songs of Ascent was that we felt that the next thing people need to hear from U2 is not an art project, that it has a rock 'n' roll heart, even if it's not rock 'n' roll music. It has the songs, you play them live.

As always, we're keeping track of the latest developments on our new U2 album page.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Thanks Chris!!! :mrgreen:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

thefixer9 wrote:
    Thanks Chris!!! :mrgreen:
    No problem.
    Looks like someone wants to be a star in their own right. Good for her.
    http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/red-carp ... val#photo0

You might remember her from this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPjQZ4_92Aw
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Singapore Posts: 1,188
    Awesome, with Danger Mouse!! He just put out a very good album called Rome.
    Bono and The Edge performing with Reeve Carney at the American Idol finale tonight, performing a song from the Spider Man musical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l2n0e9ZOuA
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    Newch91 wrote:
    Bono and The Edge performing with Reeve Carney at the American Idol finale tonight, performing a song from the Spider Man musical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l2n0e9ZOuA

I enjoyed that. My 10 year old son said that other guy sounds just like Bono.
    There's an article on www.atu2.com about U2's secret weapon.

http://www.atu2.com/news/u2s-secret-weapon.html
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Newch91 wrote:
    There's an article on http://www.atu2.com about U2's secret weapon.

eh, is this really a secret? edge has been singing back up and harmonies since almost the beginning ...yeah i guess he's become a little more in the front with his singing but...eh whatever...edge is cool and so is u2 :mrgreen:
    norm wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

eh, is this really a secret? edge has been singing back up and harmonies since almost the beginning ...yeah i guess he's become a little more in the front with his singing but...eh whatever...edge is cool and so is u2 :mrgreen:
    :thumbup: Agree on everything. But it definitely seems the last 15 or so years he's really come out and sing. It wasn't until the performance of "Miracle Drug" (where Bono talked about the kid at their school) that the Edge sang on that. It sounded too much like Bono on the record. But yes...Edge is definitely cool and also U2.
    Newch91 wrote:
    norm wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

:thumbup: Agree on everything. But it definitely seems the last 15 or so years he's really come out and sing. It wasn't until the performance of "Miracle Drug" (where Bono talked about the kid at their school) that the Edge sang on that. It sounded too much like Bono on the record. But yes...Edge is definitely cool and also U2.

Oh yes, Edge sings great. He did a few songs - Numb (not really singing) and Van Diemen's Land. He does a great falsetto voice on a lot of songs - I love the end of Stuck In A Moment. Usually he sings back up - but Sunday Bloody Sunday and The Fly are almost duets.

During live shows I have noticed The Edge normally carries the vocals for a song, he sings it the way it is supposed to be while Bono's voice kind of wanders a bit.
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    norm wrote:

Oh yes, Edge sings great. He did a few songs - Numb (not really singing) and Van Diemen's Land. He does a great falsetto voice on a lot of songs - I love the end of Stuck In A Moment. Usually he sings back up - but Sunday Bloody Sunday and The Fly are almost duets.

During live shows I have noticed The Edge normally carries the vocals for a song, he sings it the way it is supposed to be while Bono's voice kind of wanders a bit.
    Yep. Once again, I thought they got a female to sing on The Fly until I found out it was The Edge. I like his part on "Stuck In a Moment..." but my favorite vocal of his is "Miracle Drug". I like how they arranged Sunday Bloody Sunday on the PopMart Tour with him singing and playing alone.
    I agree with everything you guys said! :mrgreen:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

Posted this on the Achtung and North American tour threads:

Newch91 wrote:
    Break out a couple of these soon.

http://www.atu2.com/news/photos-u2-arri ... nipeg.html

PHOTOS: U2 ARRIVES IN WINNIPEG

As rumored, U2 arrived in Winnipeg Friday and immediately beat a path to the Burton Cummings Theatre. That's where the band's gear had arrived on Thursday for what's expected to be some kind of documentary/video shoot with director Davis Guggenheim.

Several @U2 readers were at the airport and theatre to welcome the band to Winnipeg. U2 landed at the airport at about 5:30 pm and visited briefly with fans there. Then at the theatre, it was Bono and Adam who spent the most time greeting and signing autographs for the dozens of fans who'd been waiting all day. Heather A. tells us that fans outside could hear the band playing the following songs inside:

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
    Love Is Blindness
    The Fly (for the 5th time)
    Even Better Than The Real Thing
    The Fly
    One
    Blowin' In The Wind - Where The Streets Have No Name
    The Fly
    Magnificent
    Mysterious Ways
    Until The End Of The World
    Elevation

Commentary: That looks like it could be a cross between a Glastonbury rehearsal (remember Adam hinted that they'll be heavy on 1990s songs there) and a documentary/video shoot for the expected Achtung Baby remaster later this year. Heather tells us that Bono confirmed to local news outlets that the band is shooting a documentary.

Huge thanks to Heather A., Rick S., Greg M. and Mark N. for sending us a couple dozen photos from today's activity. We've added their photos today to the same slideshow that we posted yesterday. That's now grown from eight to 31 35 pictures. Enjoy!
    Newch91 wrote:

Newch91 wrote:

As rumored, U2 arrived in Winnipeg Friday and immediately beat a path to the Burton Cummings Theatre. That's where the band's gear had arrived on Thursday for what's expected to be some kind of documentary/video shoot with director Davis Guggenheim.

Several @U2 readers were at the airport and theatre to welcome the band to Winnipeg. U2 landed at the airport at about 5:30 pm and visited briefly with fans there. Then at the theatre, it was Bono and Adam who spent the most time greeting and signing autographs for the dozens of fans who'd been waiting all day. Heather A. tells us that fans outside could hear the band playing the following songs inside:

Love Is Blindness
    The Fly
    One
    The Fly
    Magnificent
    Mysterious Ways
    Elevation

Commentary: That looks like it could be a cross between a Glastonbury rehearsal (remember Adam hinted that they'll be heavy on 1990s songs there) and a documentary/video shoot for the expected Achtung Baby remaster later this year. Heather tells us that Bono confirmed to local news outlets that the band is shooting a documentary.

Huge thanks to Heather A., Rick S., Greg M. and Mark N. for sending us a couple dozen photos from today's activity. We've added their photos today to the same slideshow that we posted yesterday. That's now grown from eight to 31 35 pictures. Enjoy!

Love Is Blindness and the Fly........cool if they add those to the tour line-up!
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Newch91 wrote:

Love Is Blindness
    The Fly
    One
    The Fly
    Magnificent
    Mysterious Ways
    Elevation

Love Is Blindness and the Fly........cool if they add those to the tour line-up!
    I hope so, especially The Fly. That's Edge's best performance.
    Newch91 wrote:
    It's confirmed that they are performing in the theater for an Achtung documentary. Bono, of all people, confirmed it (we know how he is with new albums).

http://www.atu2.com/news/u2s-second-day ... ances.html

U2'S SECOND DAY IN WINNIPEG: PROTESTS & PERFORMANCES

As I type this, U2 are performing for the cameras inside Burton Cummings Theatre in Winnipeg. It's their second day in the city for what is now confirmed to be a documentary video shoot about Achtung Baby with director Davis Guggenheim. Bono confirmed that on Winnipeg TV news Friday night.

When the band arrived at the theatre today, they were greeted by both fans and protesters. The protesters were reportedly from the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees and were upset because they believe that U2 is using non-union crew.

The big white sign in this photo from @U2 reader Greg McVicker says

"Sunday Bloody Sunday"
    Edge & Bono
    Union Busters

The protest ended, though, after someone came out and talked to the group. It's possible the protesters were mistaken about U2's use of union employees. Anyway, we expect to get more info about the band's video performance inside the theatre, and possibly more photos, so we'll update this post later when we know more.

Video of Bono confirming: http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/Local_Ne ... 1955589246

Picture:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/atu2com/5769656256/
    Very cool, thanks Chris! :mrgreen:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

I want to know...how many of you have listened to "Passengers"?
    Newch91 wrote:

Say what?
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

thefixer9 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Say what?

haha....yep, its odd, but a few really good songs came from it:

http://www.u2.com/discography/index/alb ... Name/other
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    thefixer9 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Say what?

haha....yep, its odd, but a few really good songs came from it:

http://www.u2.com/discography/index/alb ... Name/other
    Definitely odd. It's good to go to sleep to.
    Rattle & Hum is on Palladia channel right now. Really enjoy it and hearing these songs. Silver and Gold, In God's Country amazing.
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Rattle & Hum is on Palladia channel right now. Really enjoy it and hearing these songs. Silver and Gold, In God's Country amazing.
    Yep. I'm recording it now because I knew I would forget that it was on and wanted to record it.
    Newch91 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Yep. I'm recording it now because I knew I would forget that it was on and wanted to record it.

haha...I have it on DVD, but still watch it when it comes on tv.

Bad - one of my favorite songs. Just absolutely amazing to hear live, R&H is one of the best performances of it.
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

haha...I have it on DVD, but still watch it when it comes on tv.

Bad - one of my favorite songs. Just absolutely amazing to hear live, R&H is one of the best performances of it.
    Yeah, that's a really good version of Bad. That song is definitely one of their best.