Options

TM: Faster and CHEAPER!!??

ParachuteParachute Posts: 409
edited May 2011 in The Porch
Ticketmaster was Faster and CHEAPER!!??

I was suprised to only pay $77.50/ticket thru Tm, while PJ was charging $85.

Why are tix more expensive thru PJ than TM??!!

On a personal note: This experience has left me w/ this feeling.... Pearl Jam once went to the halls of Congress to fight for the rights of fans everywhere when it comes to ticket monopolies, but almost 20 years later we find ourselves (PJ fans) in the worst tix distribution/purchasing system, arguably, in the history of mankind. How have we come so far, that TM saved the tour from the jaws of 10 Club/Pearl Jam failure?

10 Club has become a buffer to insulate the band from adverse reaction to this. Are we to believe that Ed, Stone, Jeff, Mike, and Matt are oblivious to what has been happening? They are not. The band that use to fight for us, now hides behind 10 Club and poor, beatdown Tim Bierman. ENOUGH.

I want to hear from the band on this. To say this experience was stressful, and time wasting is an insult to understatements.

Why? Why EDDIE, STONE, JEFF, MIKE, MATT are you doing this to us? After 20 years, why would you do this?

I loved you in 1991, and I love you now... but somethin's gotta change.

Peace.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    Jeez. Don't take it personally. It's not like Stone is out to get you.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    I knew it was Stone's fault :lol:
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
  • Options
    rafie wrote:
    I knew it was Stone's fault :lol:

It's always is.
  • Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    You do realize that you paid $77.50 in Canadian dollars right??? So $79.28 US plus whatever conversion charge that your credit card company adds... my guess is you'll be close to $85.00 US.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    I think this is silly .. i started down the same train of thought .. but then i realized that they DONT HAVE TO DO THIS AT ALL! ..
  • Options
    lowbudgetlushlowbudgetlush Posts: 609
    Parachute: your picture is pretty funny
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    first of all why not start with a big thank you for tickets for this tour. yes it wasn't easy but big deal. ever try to get good tickets to other bands shows ? these days not so easy. this attitude of round up the villagers get pitch forks and lets get after them is sickening. there are nicer ways of expressing dissatisfaction. too much venom. this membership even with its' glitches has provided so many good times. maybe you should think about that. the 10 c people have always been courteous and friendly whenever i have happened to need their assistance. go have a nice weekend and chill and leave the band out of this.
  • Options
    foodboy wrote:
    first of all why not start with a big thank you for tickets for this tour. yes it wasn't easy but big deal. ever try to get good tickets to other bands shows ? these days not so easy. this attitude of round up the villagers get pitch forks and lets get after them is sickening. there are nicer ways of expressing dissatisfaction. too much venom. this membership even with its' glitches has provided so many good times. maybe you should think about that. the 10 c people have always been courteous and friendly whenever i have happened to need their assistance. go have a nice weekend and chill and leave the band out of this.

I'm sorry but the ticketing system here has been a problem for years during high demand events. Someone's feet should be held to the fire for that. Being courteous and friendly does not absolve them from maintaining a system which can support the large fan base which has helped them earn a living and propel and support this band over the years.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

• Options
    chromiam wrote:
    You do realize that you paid $77.50 in Canadian dollars right??? So $79.28 US plus whatever conversion charge that your credit card company adds... my guess is you'll be close to $85.00 US.

the canadian dollar is worth more than the usd at this point...

and to reply to the other point, yes it is dissapointing to use a system that the band fought against....but I feel that the 10c was left with very few alternatives given the time frame between the 10c pre sale and the public onsale...what is worse, the members getting an opportunity to purchase tickets (which is a service that they have paid for yearly to do), or the 10c being stubborn sticks in the mud and not changing the system, letting members suffer through refresh button carpal tunnel

at some point superior technology has to be embraced....if we all want to abide by all of PJ's teachings, why arent we driving horse and buggy's? or is that too impractical??
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    chromiam wrote:
    The Canadian dollar is actually worth more than the US Dollar right now - about 2 cents more. Most credit card companies charge 2% for Forex fees, meaning that an American would likely pay about $1.04 US for a Canadian dollar right now. So about $80.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,891

:lol:

It will be interesting to hear an explanation on this.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    BeerBaron wrote:
    chromiam wrote:
    The Canadian dollar is actually worth more than the US Dollar right now - about 2 cents more. Most credit card companies charge 2% for Forex fees, meaning that an American would likely pay about $1.04 US for a Canadian dollar right now. So about $80.

Exactly.. hence the $79.28 US for $77.50 Canadian (per today's conversion rate) + 2% charge and cost is right around $81-82 US... or like I said previously close to $85

Admin

• Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    I have absolutely nothing to back this up, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if 10C ate some of the service (or other) fees to facilitate this action with TM happening, and then proceeded to not mention it to us.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

:lol:

It will be interesting to hear an explanation on this.

probably just 'clowning' around......
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    HeavyHands wrote:
    I have absolutely nothing to back this up, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if 10C ate some of the service (or other) fees to facilitate this action with TM happening, and then proceeded to not mention it to us.

that is what I was thinking.
  • Options
    qwerty1qwerty1 Posts: 142
    Or perhaps TM gave PJ a break on service charges, just to show them up a bit, and thus prove how great their servers are.
    This sidewalk is for regular walking, not for fancy walking!
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,891
    HeavyHands wrote:

That's true.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    1. ticketmaster is still a shitty corporation ... their monopoly on venues is pretty much still a legalized racket
    2. if we want to see pj - we have no choice but to use tm
  • Options
    sd150448sd150448 Posts: 110
    TM coming their aid on the 20th anniversary tour.....only one word....ironic!...but don't think
    they did it for nothing.....and as far as price difference....the USD isn't strong right now...so it makes sense.
    Yes, it was faster and easier...for sure...after the 6 hours the day before...OMG!...I would have given anything....I would have rather had my "face ripped off"
    10C have always been awesome....and they even answered my email yesterday....I thought that was
    super cool of them....given all the mess they'd been dealing with.....
    10C has given me so many great times.....keep the faith people...in the end they came through for YOU!
  • Options
    Nuzpaper.Nuzpaper. Posts: 112
    that was a 10C price. I just paid over $90 for a tic at the public sale
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    sd150448 wrote:
    TM coming their aid on the 20th anniversary tour.....only one word....ironic!...but don't think
    they did it for nothing.....and as far as price difference....the USD isn't strong right now...so it makes sense.
    Yes, it was faster and easier...for sure...after the 6 hours the day before...OMG!...I would have given anything....I would have rather had my "face ripped off"
    10C have always been awesome....and they even answered my email yesterday....I thought that was
    super cool of them....given all the mess they'd been dealing with.....
    10C has given me so many great times.....keep the faith people...in the end they came through for YOU!

Well, it's not the first time. They partnered with tm in 2004 to do the fan club sales.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    foodboy wrote:
    first of all why not start with a big thank you for tickets for this tour.
    for the same reason i dont say thank you when i cant get good service anywhere else? its a company that sells concert tickets, not a religious organization.

its not like you cant get tickets other ways. usually cheaper, faster, and better seats (if you have a crappy number).
    Post edited by LikeAnOpeningBandForTheSun on
  • Options
    It's just like virtually every single pre-sale item...you get it a week or so AFTER they are in the stores, and you end up paying MORE than you would have if you had just waited...but you're supposed to fell BETTER about paying more because the band gets the money directly :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :oops: :oops:
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    HeavyHands wrote:

then what about all those who actually did buy tickets through 10c and paid more? they suffered.. where's their break?

its just bizarre seeing ticketmaster sell pearl jam tickets for less than the band..
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,213
    Parachute wrote:
    Ticketmaster was Faster and CHEAPER!!??

I was suprised to only pay $77.50/ticket thru Tm, while PJ was charging $85.

Why are tix more expensive thru PJ than TM??!!

On a personal note: This experience has left me w/ this feeling.... Pearl Jam once went to the halls of Congress to fight for the rights of fans everywhere when it comes to ticket monopolies, but almost 20 years later we find ourselves (PJ fans) in the worst tix distribution/purchasing system, arguably, in the history of mankind. How have we come so far, that TM saved the tour from the jaws of 10 Club/Pearl Jam failure?

10 Club has become a buffer to insulate the band from adverse reaction to this. Are we to believe that Ed, Stone, Jeff, Mike, and Matt are oblivious to what has been happening? They are not. The band that use to fight for us, now hides behind 10 Club and poor, beatdown Tim Bierman. ENOUGH.

I want to hear from the band on this. To say this experience was stressful, and time wasting is an insult to understatements.

Why? Why EDDIE, STONE, JEFF, MIKE, MATT are you doing this to us? After 20 years, why would you do this?

I loved you in 1991, and I love you now... but somethin's gotta change.

Peace.

my take on this - pearl jam the band is caught between being being big enough to be fully independent but small enough to have some of the problems we've seen recently. the fact is they don't play enough shows to generate enough revenue to be fully independent and fully run at high capacity. right now it seems like they play just enough shows to cover what they need on a yearly basis but not really enough to totally upgrade all their systems, like tickets. small budget with big ideas basically. i am not judging them for this, hell i wouldn't want to be on tour for months at a time at this age either if i was them.

and i would hope the 10C doesn't take a lot of the bitching personally. i was upset at the ticketing situation but i think everyone here would agree that if all things were equal, or close to equal, we'd all be perfectly content to have the 10C run this operation. right now though the divide in how the ticketing system works is as big as the grand canyon.
  • Options
    guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    I was lucky to get two sets of tickets on Wednesday...and paid the more expensive american amount...the CC company will convert it to canadian funds when it goes on the card and the price will go down...but will it go down as much? Also...the two shows I bought yesterday cost the same amount. My 10c shows were different amounts (Calgary was $9 more than Saskatoon and wound up being $20 more than Edmonton and Vancouver) I knew Calgary was an expensive city to live in, but really...even Pearl Jam tickets cost more?

I am sure 10C paid a bundle to get this set up through TM and the costs were not passed on to us. Thanks 10C for stepping up and making sure that the temporary measure put in place allowed fans to purchase the 10C tickets! :D
  • Options
    I should have specified that I bought Toronto tix, not sure if other shows had diff't prices.

Also, I bought thru TM.com, not TM.ca, so while the charge has not yet shown up in my online statement, my receipt says $ US. I called, and TM said I could use the US TM, which is faster checkout if you have an acct set up- I got 2 Toronto nights in under 5 mins. I could not create a TM account on the TM.ca domain.

But I stand by my request. I would like to hear from the band on this one. This expeience, IMO, was avoidable.

And I still say, I loved them in 91, and I love them now. But geez man! This experience was __________.
  • Options
    Parachute wrote:
    I should have specified that I bought Toronto tix, not sure if other shows had diff't prices.

Also, I bought thru TM.com, not TM.ca, so while the charge has not yet shown up in my online statement, my receipt says $ US. I called, and TM said I could use the US TM, which is faster checkout if you have an acct set up- I got 2 Toronto nights in under 5 mins. I could not create a TM account on the TM.ca domain.

But I stand by my request. I would like to hear from the band on this one. This expeience, IMO, was avoidable.

And I still say, I loved them in 91, and I love them now. But geez man! This experience was __________.

What do you want the band to say on the issue, other than what Jeff has already said? When you have trouble getting tickets to see your favorite football team, do you demand an explanation from the quarterback?

Let it go. Everyone knows the ticketing situation was fucked up. Hopefully, it will be corrected in the future.
  • Options
    Parachute wrote:

What do you want the band to say on the issue, other than what Jeff has already said? When you have trouble getting tickets to see your favorite football team, do you demand an explanation from the quarterback?

Let it go. Everyone knows the ticketing situation was fucked up. Hopefully, it will be corrected in the future.

I don't know what Jeff has said on the issue. this is different than seeing a football team. No paid-for fan club, and no 20 -year anniversary game, etc, etc, .. I appreciate the attempt to compare the 2, but thats a stretch... I, and I'd bet NOBODY has experienced the nightmare that 10 club ticketing system is, while trying to get tix to football games. (except maybe Packers from what I've heard!)

And I don't feel like letting it go... I pay for the right to post here. Have a nice day.
  • Options
    washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    Parachute wrote:
    Parachute wrote:

I don't know what Jeff has said on the issue. this is different than seeing a football team. No paid-for fan club, and no 20 -year anniversary game, etc, etc, .. I appreciate the attempt to compare the 2, but thats a stretch... I, and I'd bet NOBODY has experienced the nightmare that 10 club ticketing system is, while trying to get tix to football games. (except maybe Packers from what I've heard!)

And I don't feel like letting it go... I pay for the right to post here. Have a nice day.
    you don't FEEL like letting it go???? you've said your piece, so now you're going to ruin your life over this??? i spent 11 hours getting tickets. i was angry at the time but now i have tickets. now it's time to be happy. yeah, you really need to get over it. don't be such a cry baby :roll: it's over now.
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!