Options

2011 Canadian Tour...

2»

Comments

• Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,647

Ya, the distance between Houston/Tampa/Columbia/Bonnaroo was a lot less in my head than on a map... But take a look at Edmonton or Saskatoon on a map...the closest city that consistently gets shows is Vancouver, which is the same distance from Edmonton as Houston is from Tampa. Houston fans also had the NOLA show last summer.
    My point is simply that Western Canadians are def not favoured over the south, and overall, there have probably been less shows here than there....so to hear complaining from a former resident of Toronto, a city that would somehow land a show if PJ toured Siberia, seemed a lil funny to me....not tryin to be a dick, cause I can relate.

For the record, I moved to Toronto in the September of 06, and left in March of 09. Pearl Jam never played 1 show in Toronto during the timeframe.

And I have gone to every show within driving distance since I moved here... I shelled out top dollar for a shitty hotel in 09 and drove to ACL... same deal with New Orleans last year..... I paid $300 a night for a hotel room the size of my girlfriend's freaking closet.

I didn't say that western canadians were favored over the south... I said that it is unfair to those of us in the south if you compare populations.

Again, I'm happy that you guys are getting shows, I have a bunch of friends in Calgary and Edmonton that are going to hit the ceiling when this gets announced... and I'm going to hit up Toronto and MTL myself... it would just be nice not to have to spend thousands of dollars to see my favorite live band...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    shep wrote:

Ya, the distance between Houston/Tampa/Columbia/Bonnaroo was a lot less in my head than on a map... But take a look at Edmonton or Saskatoon on a map...the closest city that consistently gets shows is Vancouver, which is the same distance from Edmonton as Houston is from Tampa. Houston fans also had the NOLA show last summer.
    My point is simply that Western Canadians are def not favoured over the south, and overall, there have probably been less shows here than there....so to hear complaining from a former resident of Toronto, a city that would somehow land a show if PJ toured Siberia, seemed a lil funny to me....not tryin to be a dick, cause I can relate.

For the record, I moved to Toronto in the September of 06, and left in March of 09. Pearl Jam never played 1 show in Toronto during the timeframe.

And I have gone to every show within driving distance since I moved here... I shelled out top dollar for a shitty hotel in 09 and drove to ACL... same deal with New Orleans last year..... I paid $300 a night for a hotel room the size of my girlfriend's freaking closet.

I didn't say that western canadians were favored over the south... I said that it is unfair to those of us in the south if you compare populations.

Again, I'm happy that you guys are getting shows, I have a bunch of friends in Calgary and Edmonton that are going to hit the ceiling when this gets announced... and I'm going to hit up Toronto and MTL myself... it would just be nice not to have to spend thousands of dollars to see my favorite live band...
    Wow, that is some BAD timing on your moves to/from TO! And man, did you check priceline / betterbidding.com for those hotels? Those are crazy prices....I stayed in a 3.5 star in Manhattan for half that...
    I hear you about the population factor....but that's kinda relative too....Mexico city should be right pissed if that's the criteria for booking shows ;)
    Hope you guys get your tour sooner than later :). Enjoy the shows you hit..
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,647
    Wow, that is some BAD timing on your moves to/from TO! And man, did you check priceline / betterbidding.com for those hotels? Those are crazy prices....I stayed in a 3.5 star in Manhattan for half that...
    I hear you about the population factor....but that's kinda relative too....Mexico city should be right pissed if that's the criteria for booking shows ;)
    Hope you guys get your tour sooner than later :). Enjoy the shows you hit..

Yea, the timing was the pits. I agree with you there. I did fly back to Toronto for the 09 show, but that still cost a few dollars even though I crashed with my bro...

Have you ever been to a festival in the US? If you haven't, let me give you some advice: book your hotel before the lineup is announced. If you wait until the lineup goes up, the price will increase by a factor of 3, no matter where you try and book. I didn't decide I was going to ACL or Jazzfest until after PJ announced they were playing, and I learned my lesson. My hotel for ACL this year has been booked since September 2010 and my hotel for Lolla has been booked since January (and as a result I have very good prices for both ;) )
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684

Pearl Jam isn't a Mexican band..... ;) But yes, I imagine people in Mexico would be pissed if a popular Mexican band played other countries more than it played some of the most populous parts of Mexico....
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    BeerBaron wrote:
    That is awesome news! That is the first mention of a Saskatoon show ... all of those other cities have been rumoured ... but nothing out east...

It will be the same as 2005. lot's of shows out east!!
  • Options
    gndcd402 wrote:
    zootown wrote:
    Well, I hope they follow the exact plan as 05 and play a gig in Missoula first :D
    and PLEEEEASE follow it up with a South American tour!

The rumor says Canada first, then South America...So cross your fingers...VIVA PEARL JAM!
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Better Dan wrote:

Pearl Jam isn't a Mexican band..... ;) But yes, I imagine people in Mexico would be pissed if a popular Mexican band played other countries more than it played some of the most populous parts of Mexico....
    Dude, we all know Canada is pretty much American, and Texas is pretty much Mexican...no worries, they've got it right ;)
  • Options
    pearljamdude420pearljamdude420 Posts: 1,380
    if they do a whole canadian tour like 2005, it will be really the only 3rd true whole canadian tour pj has ever done, 1993, and 2005 being the other 2 times.

i agree with americans in alaska, that they should play there, the population is not big there, but rhcp played there. pj should atleast play 1 show imo in anchorage to be fair? so maybe this can be the tour?

Anchorage, AK the arena there holds i think maybe 10k?
    Vancouver,BC where canucks play 20k?
    Calgary, AB although they just got a show a few years ago at a fest, is it possible no show here????????? i dont think it a big deal if calgary gets no show, east canada has not had shows in ages
    Edmonton, AB did they get a show in 05 then last time ya they play here
    Saskatoon,SK
    Winnipeg, MB
    Toronto, ON 2x maybe or another show in the area LONDON maybe?
    Ottawa, ON? amazing show in 05, would love them to come back, but do they hate ottawa only ever came that 1 time, and hull quebec in 93. please play ottawa. it not like they been here much
    MONTREAL, QUEBEC 2x??????????? fuck they not been in here in ages, is it not a fun city to play???? when i see them play montreal they play crazy shit 98 hard to imagine, 2000 arc, etc etc got to play here 2 nights

QUEBEC CITY??????? maybe , but montreal is cooler and bigger population by far, how bout 2 or 3 nights in montreal, and you can skip cquebec, they can travel to montreal or far east same distance

halifax?
    st johns?
    although these small places far out there
  • Options
    pearljamdude420pearljamdude420 Posts: 1,380
    shep wrote:
    I keep hearing rumors about a 2011 tour. This was confirmed by a very reputable friend...I heard it again tonight regarding a specific stop in my home town of Saskatoon. This person works in the beverage industry and deals with the arenas...I guess the tour will be in September...And Toon town will be around Keith Urban's show in September which makes it like Sept. 17th or 19th...ish... So excited. I'm going to try and attend Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon and Winnipeg... (rumor has it that it will be like the 2005 Canada tour). If this is old news I'm sorry.. Just super excited to see my favorite band again...Last show was Vancouver and Calgary 2 a in 2009...Can't freakin wait...Hope to see you all around. PEARL JAM is the greatest...VIVA PEARL JAM.

Not to deflate your ballon, as I'm happy for you guys... but this is getting more and more frustrating for those of us in the south USA... I see no reason why I should continue to be punished for moving from Toronto to Houston in order to find a job and make a living...

Houston has a larger population than Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, and Winnipeg put together, and now PJ will tour through there twice since the last time they played here...

no matter what way you slice it, this is just plain unfair.

References:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_100_largest_metropolitan_areas_in_Canada

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_United_States_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas

Enjoy your shows. Hopefully I'll make it to Toronto/MTL.... I can't believe I'm going to spend money to fly again this year just to take in a few shows....

what you are from newfoundland but live in texas? that might be a first lol

pj has never played costa rica, or columbia, or india which i think they can draw big crowds. metallica drew 40k in columbia and iron maiden had 30k in costa rica, and 50k in india, i bet pearl jam has been around so long now they should play those places
  • Options
    SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    No Thunder Bay rumblings this time around. If they are doing a Canadian tour, I wouldn't be surprised to see Sault Ste Marie get a show in between the Winnipeg and Southern Ontario shows. They have a really nice new arena there.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,849
    halifax?
    st johns?
    although these small places far out there

Maybe St. John's is far out, but Frederiction, Moncton & Halifax isn't if they are touring close to the East Coast of the USA. ;) I wouldn't mind paying the tour buses crew a few bucks & Tim bits for a few more hour's drive here. Hell, I'll let them crash @ my house.

I would be very sad if they do another Canadian tour like '05 (play all these Ontario and many west coast cities) and not do at least one Atlantic Canadian show. :(
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    BeerBaron wrote:
    That is awesome news! That is the first mention of a Saskatoon show ... all of those other cities have been rumoured ... but nothing out east...

It will be the same as 2005. lot's of shows out east!!
    Is this you hoping or do you have information that confirms this...?
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC