Options

Eddie's Hair

MFC9289MFC9289 Posts: 144
edited November 2008 in The Porch
Was there any reason Eddie had short hair and absolutely no facial hair back in like 2002/2003? I heard somewhere it was a support the troops sort of thing. Comments? I think it's just not him.
Boston II 9/29/04, Bonnaroo 6/14/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08

"Ransom paid the devil
He whispers pleasing words
Triumphant are the angels if they can get there first..."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    The facial hair is fairly new. I think it started in 04 or so. He had it for a little bit in 2000 but not long and I don't ever remember seeing him with facial hair in the 90's. But the short hair was a surprise at the time. The other guys can get away with it but it seems the long hair works on Eddie. Facial hair optional.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    He had short hair because he had to shave his head post mohawk.
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    MFC9289 wrote:
    Was there any reason Eddie had short hair and absolutely no facial hair back in like 2002/2003? I heard somewhere it was a support the troops sort of thing. Comments? I think it's just not him.
    Is there any reason any of us have short hair?

There's your answer..

He cut his hair short right after the 2000 tour (see Neil Finn 2001 video), so I doubt it had anything to do with the war.
  • Options
    smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    MFC9289 wrote:

The war is still going, so it cant be that
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • Options
    Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    He wanted to look like a middle-aged bowler instead of a kick ass rocker.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • Options
    Is there any reason any of us have short hair?

Well he had never had short hair before...and grew it back out long afterwards, so i thought there could be a possibility that he did it for a reason...

and i read in an interview somewhere that he was explaining something, and he said "hence the haircut" but i don't recall his reason. i might be making that up too.

"Ransom paid the devil
  • Options
    MFC9289 wrote:
    Well he had never had short hair before...and grew it back out long afterwards, so i thought there could be a possibility that he did it for a reason...

and i read in an interview somewhere that he was explaining something, and he said "hence the haircut" but i don't recall his reason. i might be making that up too.
    He cut it fairly short in '97 after No Code tour. http://pearl-jam.com/pictures/evbw2/evbwbust.jpg
  • Options
    Back_Pedal wrote:
    He wanted to look like a middle-aged bowler instead of a kick ass rocker.

Hahaha, you hit the nail on the head, I was trying to figure out what it is he looked like.

"Ransom paid the devil
  • Options
    There's an interview I read, he says that he had the mohawk because he didn't want to give the impression in society that he was okay with the indiscriminate bombings that took place after september 11, 2001.

EV - "I think that's probably why I got rid of the Mohawk. (laughs) That was my initial reaction [to September 11].

I felt after that I didn't want to look normal, I didn't feel normal and didn't want anyone to look at me think, "He looks okay with what's going on, he's a normal guy".

I wanted even strangers on the street who didn't know who I was to have that reaction. I felt I wanted to act out on some kind of rebellion."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=3002948
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • Options
    He was going through his Dead Kennedy's phase. He looked just like that dude.

The Mohawk was due to the war. He said that at the Ramones HOF induction
  • Options
    He was going through his Dead Kennedy's phase. He looked just like that dude.

The Mohawk was due to the war. He said that at the Ramones HOF induction
    But he had the mohawk before the war. The war started during the '03 tour... I think it was, like said above, due to 9/11.
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    He cut it fairly short in '97 after No Code tour. http://pearl-jam.com/pictures/evbw2/evbwbust.jpg

That's a wig (according to Lance Mercer)....looks like he was doing a Keith Moon sort of thing, with the yellow pant suit...

I think the real reason he got the mohawk was personal... ;)
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    mavimavi Posts: 941
    I think I don't care.
    "He who hears music, feels his solitude peopled at once" R. Browning
  • Options
    mavi wrote:
    I think I don't care.
    i know i dont care.
    Fav. Bands
    My Morning Jacket
    Pearl Jam
    Neil Young
    Wilco
    Tool
    Rush
    Drive By Truckers

pj shows
    8/17/98
    8/15/00
    8/18/00
    8/20/00
    6/22/03
    10/2/04
    8/5/07
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    eddie has always had cool hair. even the blonde look was semi cool.
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    mavi wrote:
    I think I don't care.

Then don't post on the thread. No one's asking you to.

"Ransom paid the devil
  • Options
    Gmoney wrote:
    eddie has always had cool hair. even the blonde look was semi cool.

I really didn't care for the blonde, just didn't seem like him. It's ironic that Eddie put on one of the best shows of his career (Santa Barbara '03) with the worst hair choice of his career!
  • Options
    3days3days Posts: 1,152
    The facial hair is fairly new. I think it started in 04 or so. He had it for a little bit in 2000 but not long and I don't ever remember seeing him with facial hair in the 90's. But the short hair was a surprise at the time. The other guys can get away with it but it seems the long hair works on Eddie. Facial hair optional.
    He might've had it earlier, but the first time that I recall seeing him with facial hair was throughout the '00 Binaural tour. I saw him in '99 at the Tibetan Freedom Concert, and opening for The Who, and he didn't have facial hair then. His hair was also blonde in '99... we were surprised when he walked out on stage.
  • Options
    My guess as to why Eddie changes his hair probably has something to do with the fact that he's human. I dont know just thought i'd throw that crazy idea out there.
    Shows:
    San Diego 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004
    Grand Rapids 2006
    Detroit 2006
    Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    3days wrote:
    He might've had it earlier, but the first time that I recall seeing him with facial hair was throughout the '00 Binaural tour. I saw him in '99 at the Tibetan Freedom Concert, and opening for The Who, and he didn't have facial hair then. His hair was also blonde in '99... we were surprised when he walked out on stage.

Yeah, the first time I saw the beard was on the TB 2000 DVD.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    mavimavi Posts: 941
    MFC9289 wrote:
    Then don't post on the thread. No one's asking you to.
    Wow, slow down, feisty one. All the previous posts started with "I think" and I thought it was kind of funny, so I was just making a joke... not everybody has the same kind of humor, I guess.
    "He who hears music, feels his solitude peopled at once" R. Browning
  • Options
    OkOk Posts: 2,144
    mavi wrote:
    Wow, slow down, feisty one. All the previous posts started with "I think" and I thought it was kind of funny, so I was just making a joke... not everybody has the same kind of humor, I guess.

All this hostility over Ed's hair...(ha ha ha)...can't we all just get along...he would get a kick out of this I think...
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    It did seem odd for him to have short hair during the '03 tour. They all looked like middle aged computer programmers.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    I liked the short hair. Since 2000 it's been my favorite look of his. Maybe if he got rid of the beard now I'd like his longer hair more... Ed, don't cover up your face so much!
    I'll wait for an angel, but won't hold my breath
  • Options
    finnanniefinnannie Posts: 1,186
    iamica wrote:
    It did seem odd for him to have short hair during the '03 tour. They all looked like middle aged computer programmers.

hahhhhahahhh :D lmao

*falls from her chair*

ps. ED: there's no way you could ever look ugly, keep doin' what you're doing, long hair.. short hair.. mohawk.. bald.. whatever.. we still love you.. at least I do :D
    Won't let the light escape from me.
    Won't let the darkness swallow me.
  • Options
    i wonder if ed shaves his sak.
    Fav. Bands
    My Morning Jacket
    Pearl Jam
    Neil Young
    Wilco
    Tool
    Rush
    Drive By Truckers

pj shows
    8/17/98
    8/15/00
    8/18/00
    8/20/00
    6/22/03
    10/2/04
    8/5/07
  • Options
    FatalFatal Posts: 821
    Yeah, the first time I saw the beard was on the TB 2000 DVD.

Isn't Ed sporting a beard in one of the No Code album pics? I think that was the first time i saw a pic of him with the beard.
    Shows: Montreal 98, Barrie 98, Montreal 00, Montreal 03, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Toronto 06, Vancouver Night 1 08 (EV), Vancouver Night 2 08 (EV), MSG1 08, MSG2 08, Montreal Night 2 08 (EV), Toronto Night 1 08 (EV), Toronto 09, Hartford 11 (EV), Ottawa 11, Ottawa 16, Ottawa 22.

• Options
    i wonder if ed shaves his sak.

that made me laugh so f'n hard.....nice!
    1998: Indy 2000: Indy, Cincy 2003: Lexington (m.e.o.), Cincy (cancelled),Indy 2004: Toledo 2005: Atlantic City 2 2006: Cleveland, Cincy 2008: Los Angeles1 (EV solo)-front row center!West Palm Beach-2nd row!, Tampa, Chicago 1&2-(EV solo) 2009: Nashville 1&2(EV solo) Memphis(EV solo) Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    yellowled24yellowled24 Posts: 3,118
    BinGnarly wrote:
    My guess as to why Eddie changes his hair probably has something to do with the fact that he's human. I dont know just thought i'd throw that crazy idea out there.
    thats probably the most ridiculous theory I have ever heard. ;):D
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
  • Options
    SpencerSpencer Posts: 867
    Ed's looked like a homeless dude begging for change since 2005; the long-straggly hair on balding, time-weathered rocker isn't such a great look...

He just can't pull off the longer hair anymore, I'm afraid. He's definitely receding at his temples and he just looks like some middle-aged dude trying to be hip.

He should definitely go short again, 2003-style. That's when he looked his best in the last five years.