Options

Why does everyone hate on Matt?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Ive never seen anyone say anything bad about Matt

Nor have I....

I was a little upset when Jack left...early on I felt like Matt was ending some songs too early (live), but he is now (and has been for YEARS) in full control of the band behind his kit...

Dave Ab was sick nasty, his cymbal work was redonk, but....

Matt is God.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Well not me, i fucking worship Matt.
  • Options
    muppet wrote:
    I think Matt is an amazing drummer, especially with the stuff with Soundgarden. But when it comes to live, I think (especially with the older songs) he just doesn't hit the drums hard enough. That sounds a bit petty but I dunno, it makes the songs lose some of their energy.

Huh, I've never heard that before....personally I think he hits the SHIT out of his drums....he goes through several Vic's per show....

Just check out the Matt cam (which you probably have)....

His whole kit is rockin' pretty good for a majority (if not all) of the time.
  • Options
    Lone WolfLone Wolf Posts: 1,023
    Matt fucking RULES!!!!!!!!
    Best PJ drummer imo
    Dream the dreams of other men,...You´ll be no ones rival,...
    Dream the dreams of others then,... You will be no ones rival,...
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Huh, I've never heard that before....personally I think he hits the SHIT out of his drums....he goes through several Vic's per show....

Just check out the Matt cam (which you probably have)....

His whole kit is rockin' pretty good for a majority (if not all) of the time.

I think he goes through several pairs because he drops his sticks lol. In my grand rapids dvd you can see him dropping a stick and picking another one up quickly. Also in the newcastle 06 boot you can clearly notice that he dropped his stick. I forgot what song it was, but you basically hear him playing on the ride, then he does a fill but when he gets back to playing on the ride all you hear is snare and bass. Quickly after that you hear the ride kick back in. Yes I pay alot of attention to his drumming.

edit: I'm listening to black and it just reminded me of something. Listen to black from bonnaroo, there is this one fill he does during the solo that gives me a boner everytime. He does this fill where it's flam(on snare), triplet, flam, triplet, flam, 2 hihat "chicks", bass, crash. Trust me, it sounds god like.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    Grievance, the bit where he plays behind Ed's "champagne breakfast for everyone", should be enough to put this topic to bed. He drums with intensity, changes things and has a great range, he can cope with a huge catalogue of songs he didn't orignally drum on and sounds great.

It's similar to people slagging off Ringo, looking for a negative when there are only positives. Now, I'm no expert, but the stuff Ringo played on the White Album and beyond is amazing, but some people still knock it just because they have nothing better to do.

As for who is the best PJ drummer, who cares? I like all 8 albums whoever played on them.
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Options
    Great problem to have..."who's the best/worst drummer in PJ"? Think of the choices....chamberlain, Dave A., Jack Irons and Matt C.?

In my opinion, Matt is the best because he is not only a stellar drummer, but he is a song writer. Unemployable and In the Moonlight are sick.

It's hard to deny Dave A. though. He was a much more funky drummer and helped put PJ on everyone's map.
  • Options
    JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
    I've always said Matt is the best fit for this band. He writes some great songs, and his style just suits the band more. Alot of people like Jack, but I felt like Jack was too heavy on the bass pedal, and tried alot of quick fills that at times could throw things off.

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • Options
    Cuz he can't play ukulele
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • Options
    Matt Rawks - best PJ drummer imo.
  • Options
    evenkatevenkat Posts: 380
    I believe most people like Dave Abbruzzese because they think he is on Ten and was there from the beginning. There is always confusion between Dave Abbruzzese and Dave Krusen.

Matt Cameron is the original drummer of Pearl Jam. Matt is the drummer on the tapes with Jeff and Stone. The tapes that had the music that inspired Eddie Vedder from which he wrote and sung the lyrics for Alive, Black, Once and Footsteps.

Matt Cameron is the drummer on Temple of the Dog.

Dave Krusen is the drummer on the Ten record.

Matt Chamberlain had a short stint with the band before they found Dave Abbruzzese.

I read in one the books on Pearl Jam that Dave Abbruzzese did not like Ed and actually asked Stone and Jeff to get rid of Ed, they could get another singer. Now I know it takes two and Ed wasn't easy on Dave A. either.

So it could have been Ed being the one asked to leave the band, and us having a thread that Ed was the best singer Pearl Jam ever had.

But I'd take Matt Cameron any day over any other drummer. And what is telling is that other bands and muscians would choose Matt Cameron.

So why do people hate on Matt, I think it's because they feel some kind of loyalty for Dave Abbruzzese thinking he was there from the beginning.
    "...believe in lies...to get by...it's divine...whoa...oh, you know what its like..."
  • Options
    evenkat wrote:

So it could have been Ed being the one asked to leave the band, and us having a thread that Ed was the best singer Pearl Jam ever had.

Ya right. Are you being serious? I'm sure if Dave did ask them to off Ed, they told him to go fuck himself. That would be like someone in the Stones saying " Lets get rid of this Jagger character, okay guys" or a Led Zep member sayin " Plant's gotta go, he's worthless". Get rid of Vedder, funny stuff man, funny stuff.

Also comparing Dave to Matt is a tad bit asinine. Matt is kind of a legend folks.

PS - I'm sure Dave A. comes on this board and reads this message board all the time. I'm sure his response to us would go something like this:
    http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=94508351&albumID=0&imageID=15476162

Dave's new band photo here:
    http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=94508351&albumID=0&imageID=15476173

lol.
  • Options
    GivenToJam88GivenToJam88 NJ Posts: 1,187
    Matt is freakin awesome
    2006: 5/28
    2008: 6/19, 6/24, 6/25
    2009: 6/14 (EV), 10/27, 10/28
    2010: 5/17
    2011: 6/21 (EV), 6/22 (EV), 9/11, 9/12
    2012: 9/2
    2013: 10/15, 10/16, 10/19, 10/21, 10/22, 10/27, 11/23, 11/24
    2014: 10/19
    2016: 5/1, 5/2, 5/8
    2018: 8/20, 9/2, 9/4
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Ive never seen anyone say anything bad about Matt
    Me too. Is the thread starter being sarcastic maybe?
  • Options
    Me too. Is the thread starter being sarcastic maybe?

People rag on Matt's (awesome) songs all the time. Evacuation anyone?
  • Options
    he is the best drummer they had he doesnt suck. He is awesome i think he is one of the best drummers of the century
    Camden 2 (2008) 
    Philly 1 and 4 (2009)
    Newark (2010)
    MSG 1 (2010)
    Toronto 1 and 2 (2011)
    Brooklyn 1 and 2 (2013)
    Philly 2 (2013)
    Greenville (2016)
    Columbia (2016)
    MSG 2 (2016)
    Fenway 2 (2016)
    EV NJPAC (2022)
    MSG (2022)
    Denver (2022)
  • Options
    evenkat wrote:
    Matt Cameron is the original drummer of Pearl Jam. Matt is the drummer on the tapes with Jeff and Stone. The tapes that had the music that inspired Eddie Vedder from which he wrote and sung the lyrics for Alive, Black, Once and Footsteps.

Chris Friel is also on those tapes.
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options
    Jack is the best drummer PJ has had in terms of actual drumming and creativity in his parts. Matt is still a damn good drummer, and he has written some great songs in his time with the band, which is something you didn't get with Jack. Dave A... just too busy for a band like PJ.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Options
    evenkatevenkat Posts: 380
    I'm dead serious. I recall I also read that Dave A also questioned how come Ed got a bigger percentage off the sale of the records and shit like that. Dave A.'s a funny guy.

It is too bad that he and Ed couldn't get along. One of them had to go. And in the end they came full circle back to Matt Cameron.

I also loved Jack...the Whale Song is one of my favorite all time Pearl Jam songs. In My Tree...

PJAMEDVED wrote:
    Ya right. Are you being serious? I'm sure if Dave did ask them to off Ed, they told him to go fuck himself. That would be like someone in the Stones saying " Lets get rid of this Jagger character, okay guys" or a Led Zep member sayin " Plant's gotta go, he's worthless". Get rid of Vedder, funny stuff man, funny stuff.

Also comparing Dave to Matt is a tad bit asinine. Matt is kind of a legend folks.

PS - I'm sure Dave A. comes on this board and reads this message board all the time. I'm sure his response to us would go something like this:
    http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=94508351&albumID=0&imageID=15476162

Dave's new band photo here:
    http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=94508351&albumID=0&imageID=15476173

lol.
    "...believe in lies...to get by...it's divine...whoa...oh, you know what its like..."
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    I don't understand he is a damn good drummer. I hate when I see comments on youtube like Matt is the worst drummer for PJ. Oh yeah? Im pretty sure if he sucked he wouldn't be in the band, he plays with a lot of intensity. Im glad to have him as the drummer.

he is the dogs bollocks!
    danny d
  • Options
    Dave rock, I have no prob with him at all.
    Many many wonderful shows, since day one.
    Love ya Punkinfur
  • Options
    Matt is mentioned throughout the drumming community. He's a legend just like Gene Kupra. There are not many drummers that other drummers find an inspiration from.
    Matt deals with all kinds from rock to jazz. That is high in my books of incredible drummers.

Rock on Matt.
    Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun - W.H. Auden
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,350
    I think as far as song writing and studio, Jack's got it. No other PJ drummer touches Matt on the tight live drumming though, in fact, not many drummers in the world touch matt on the live show. Granted, No Code and Yield were far better produced than anything that Matt Cameron has played on...Somebody said it on here before...O'brien+Cameron=Cream Dream.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    matt cameron is fucken awsome-enough said
    Christchurch, New Zealand 2009

• Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    share wrote:
    Now Mike, he just plain sucks.

:eek: BLASSSSPHEMER!!!!!!!!! :eek:
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    Can't say anything bad about any of the PJ drummers.Matt is awesome !!!
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
  • Options
    pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    As far as I'm concerned he was the original Pearl Jam drummer because he was with Temple of the Dog. There's nothing wrong with him at all and he's with PJ to stay, so bad luck to all those who can't go past Dave and Jack, they didn't have the longevity that Matt has.
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    I don't understand he is a damn good drummer. I hate when I see comments on youtube like Matt is the worst drummer for PJ. Oh yeah? Im pretty sure if he sucked he wouldn't be in the band, he plays with a lot of intensity. Im glad to have him as the drummer.

Did anybody see the shit Matt was pulling this tour? Just go back and listen to the boots, he was much more outgoing on the drums (sounded much more like '98). He is just now really making these songs his own.
  • Options
    pjamaholic wrote:
    As far as I'm concerned he was the original Pearl Jam drummer because he was with Temple of the Dog.

I guess that makes Chris Cornell Pearl Jam's original vocalist. :p (just kidding)
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too