Options

Why does everyone hate on Matt?

Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
edited November 2008 in The Porch
I don't understand he is a damn good drummer. I hate when I see comments on youtube like Matt is the worst drummer for PJ. Oh yeah? Im pretty sure if he sucked he wouldn't be in the band, he plays with a lot of intensity. Im glad to have him as the drummer.
2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    he's the best one they've had. he wouldn't of suited the band back in 91-94, but i still find much more better than dave or jack
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    shareshare Posts: 551
    I don't understand he is a damn good drummer. I hate when I see comments on youtube like Matt is the worst drummer for PJ. Oh yeah? Im pretty sure if he sucked he wouldn't be in the band, he plays with a lot of intensity. Im glad to have him as the drummer.

Who is everyone?? where are they? let me at them!!!!
    I can't understand it either.

Now Mike, he just plain sucks.
    we're all sentient snowflakes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm a number that doesn't count
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    the nothing ventured - the nothing feigned
  • Options

When a band has had several drummers, there will be differing opinions about which one best fit the band. It's the same with any band that has had multiple members over it's existence. For some bands it's about singers or guitarists, in Pearl Jam's case it's about drummers.
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    I always thought Dave A was the best drummer for PJ even though he was only with the band for 4 years to Matt's 11. I always liked Matt and think he fits the band perfectly, but I still gotta go with Abruzzeze. He was with PJ during their defining era (91-95). A lot of their best songs came from this time period so you got to give credit where credit is due.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    Simple answer. They are moronic idiots.

Matt Cameron is reaching virtuoso statis (as Jeff called it). Also, I think it was Jeff who said, Dave couldn't keep up with the bands music knowledge. They would all want to play a song a bunch of different ways and all Dave could do was play it one way.

I have nothing bad to say about Jack, he was badass, but Matt is probably the best all-around drummer around today.

• Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    The only people who bash Matt are ignorant fools on Youtube. Matt is their best period.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    pateljampateljam Posts: 340
    Matt is turning into an epic drummer... ok not sure what that really means... but he is kick ass and seems to be getting better with age...

The only band member that I hate on is Boom.... I think he is a fuckin joke...
    2000-10-28 San Bernardino
    2003-06-02 Irvine
    2003-10-26 Mountain View-Bridge School
    2006-07-09 Los Angeles
    2006-07-10 Los Angeles
    2006-10-22 Mountain View- Bridge School
    2008-07-19 UCLA-Who Rock Honors
    2009-10-1 Los Angeles-2
    2009-10-9 San Diego
  • Options
    no one here says that.

I remember seeing soundgarden, Matt WAILED!

I said "having that guy in pearl jam would be a dream....

come true.
  • Options
    mavimavi Posts: 941
    share wrote:
    Now Mike, he just plain sucks.
    :D:D

Seriously, Matt kicks ass!!
    "He who hears music, feels his solitude peopled at once" R. Browning
  • Options
    geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    i see petty arguments all the time surrounding youtube music videos, i think all those people are sad losers with nothing else to do.

Oh and my answer is no, i don't hate Matt. I think he is quite a good drummer.
  • Options
    Ive never seen anyone say anything bad about Matt
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,359
    Matt is superb. Those who think he sucks should find another band to follow.
  • Options
    yokeyoke Posts: 1,440

cuz he can't sing and hes not that good of a drummer
    Thats a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

www.seanbrady.net
  • Options
    yoke wrote:
    cuz he can't sing and hes not that good of a drummer

Not that good a drummer? Do you listen to the boots or just come on the board and hate? Matt is ALWAYS changing up fills and keeping it fresh. The other drummers didn't do that. Dave A, while fairly proficient, played the songs the same all the time. His fills were basically an extra cymbal hit or multiple cymbal hits. Matt is all over those drums.

I'm sorry but I don't think your argument has any merit.
    Chicago 8-23-09

• Options
    Not that good a drummer? Do you listen to the boots or just come on the board and hate? Matt is ALWAYS changing up fills and keeping it fresh. The other drummers didn't do that. Dave A, while fairly proficient, played the songs the same all the time. His fills were basically an extra cymbal hit or multiple cymbal hits. Matt is all over those drums.

I'm sorry but I don't think your argument has any merit.

LOL, I was joking

www.seanbrady.net
  • Options
    yoke wrote:
    LOL, I was joking

Sorry for that, then. I can usually sense sarcasm on the board but apparently I have met my match. Well played, sir/madam.
    Chicago 8-23-09

• Options
    ahhh this topic just never gets old... personally, i would have to say, on the recorded versions, i liked jacks style and sound the best. he has a certain rare groove that you dont find from alot of drummers. and they fit the songs perfectly. now live, i would say its a toss up between jack and matt. two TOTALLY different drumming styles. jack plays with a very loose grooe, while matt is more of the "four on the floor" stlye. matt has a very heavy foot that i just dont think fits with aot of their music. matt was at his best live with the band on the 2000 tour. first off, his drums KILLED on that tour. i believe they were still the ayotte's, and sounded soooo much more musical and out front a little more. now they are flat, dead, boring, and dont fit in the mix well in my opinion. secondly, he played the songs ALOT more like they were originally recorded. he always had his style on them, but nowadays, there are sooo many things he does that annoy me live. he hs taken alot of the songs and changed the overall feel and structure. im not a fan of that. but that being said, he is very talented. the thing people who are not drummers always overlook, is that they all have very different approaches and styles. its hard to compare apples to oranges.
  • Options
    alive25alive25 Posts: 124
    i dont hate matt i love matt <3 (no homo)
  • Options
    I <3 Mc

[Edit] What the hell you can't hace back to back capitals
  • Options
    Sorry for that, then. I can usually sense sarcasm on the board but apparently I have met my match. Well played, sir/madam.

its sir

and thanks

www.seanbrady.net
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    Matt Cameron is one of the top 20 known drummers in the world! Not to mention one of the most respected and accomplished musicians...period.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    samnationsamnation Los Angeles, CA Posts: 277
    Matt is an amazing drummer. End of story.
    Sam
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    drummer96 wrote:
    ahhh this topic just never gets old... personally, i would have to say, on the recorded versions, i liked jacks style and sound the best. he has a certain rare groove that you dont find from alot of drummers. and they fit the songs perfectly. now live, i would say its a toss up between jack and matt. two TOTALLY different drumming styles. jack plays with a very loose grooe, while matt is more of the "four on the floor" stlye. matt has a very heavy foot that i just dont think fits with aot of their music. matt was at his best live with the band on the 2000 tour. first off, his drums KILLED on that tour. i believe they were still the ayotte's, and sounded soooo much more musical and out front a little more. now they are flat, dead, boring, and dont fit in the mix well in my opinion. secondly, he played the songs ALOT more like they were originally recorded. he always had his style on them, but nowadays, there are sooo many things he does that annoy me live. he hs taken alot of the songs and changed the overall feel and structure. im not a fan of that. but that being said, he is very talented. the thing people who are not drummers always overlook, is that they all have very different approaches and styles. its hard to compare apples to oranges.

Agree 110%. People tend to think Jack was not good, or sloppy because of his loose feel. I think some of that comes from the fact that he did not play the same types of fills Dave A. did, but let's also remember that his Carpal Tunnel got really bad during his stint with PJ. Listen to any of his early stuff with Eleven and you'll clearly see (or rather HEAR!) that Jack was a great drummer. He also approached the drums from a songwriting point of view - not just a drumming point of view. Matt is without a doubt the most talented of them all when it comes to chops and technical ability, but Jack is my favorite. I love the intensity Dave A. brought to certain songs, and I wish Matt played some of them more with that style, because some of the older songs, particularly Evenflow and Go, just don't have the same feel without some of those fills.
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    PJamGrunge10PJamGrunge10 California Posts: 594
    What Matt needs is a new kit. It just doesn't sound quite as... "heavy" I guess, as Dave A. and Jack's drumming.
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • Options
    gazgaz Posts: 233
    Jeff says he's nearing virtuoso satus? I think he's already there and entering the realm of genius! How the fuck can anyone in their right mind not think that Matt C is just fucking awesome?? I loved Dave A,he was powerful and played on my favourite PJ album. I also loved Jack, he had/has a wonderful groovy quality to his drumming, but I think Matt can be both. I loved him in Soundgarden, I love him now. THANK GOD FOR MATT CAMERON!!!!!!!!
    23/8/06.
    18/6/07.
    22/6/10.
    23/6/10.
    20/6/12
    21/6/12
  • Options
    I like Matt D Cameron
    Ted Dameron
    Tad Dameron
    Foo Cameron
  • Options
    I don't hate him ...he is adorable and a really good drummer
    "You're the eve of my destruction in the garden of fears"
  • Options
    i think people diss him to make themselves look like a PJ connoisseur...

"Well i like Matt..BUT, back in the early days so-and-so was much better!When i saw them 20 times in 9x...so-and-so anally stimulated me with a drum stick therefore so-and-so is best."
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I think Matt is an amazing drummer, especially with the stuff with Soundgarden. But when it comes to live, I think (especially with the older songs) he just doesn't hit the drums hard enough. That sounds a bit petty but I dunno, it makes the songs lose some of their energy.
  • Options
    Matt's songs are amazing and over most people's heads.

I think his drum sound has a lot to do with how the bootlegs are recorded and mixed. His drums sound amazing on the European 2000 boots. After that, not so much.