Options

I got shit

musicfanpearlmusicfanpearl Posts: 210
edited September 2008 in The Porch
Gotta be my favorite song by pearl jam. I love the guitar in this, simple yet effective. Plus, I think it contains some of the best lyrics written in the past 20 years. What does everyone else think.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    finnanniefinnannie Posts: 1,186
    It's definitely a great song, very powerful - lyrically and otherwise too.

:)
    Won't let the light escape from me.
    Won't let the darkness swallow me.
  • Options
    Gotta be my favorite song by pearl jam. I love the guitar in this, simple yet effective. Plus, I think it contains some of the best lyrics written in the past 20 years. What does everyone else think.

totally agree!
    1998: Indy 2000: Indy, Cincy 2003: Lexington (m.e.o.), Cincy (cancelled),Indy 2004: Toledo 2005: Atlantic City 2 2006: Cleveland, Cincy 2008: Los Angeles1 (EV solo)-front row center!West Palm Beach-2nd row!, Tampa, Chicago 1&2-(EV solo) 2009: Nashville 1&2(EV solo) Memphis(EV solo) Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,574
    ANyone know what or where the official lyrics are for I got Shit?
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • Options
    it was one of the highlights from the DC show this summer.....they nailed it.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    i agree, in my top 5 for sure. Just started a thread a couple weeks ago to find out the official lyrics and was blown away when I found out the chorus was "I walked in light" and not "I walked the line"...
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    been looking for the best live version of this on all the boots since 2000. anyone have suggestions? (it's one of those songs that sometimes gets sloppy live)
    Good evening San Diego, I'm Ron Burgundy
    And I'm Veronica Corningstone, Tits McGee is off tonight...
  • Options
    been looking for the best live version of this on all the boots since 2000. anyone have suggestions? (it's one of those songs that sometimes gets sloppy live)
    I don;t think it really gets "sloppy" more improvised than most songs is all. Try listening to what they're NOT playing, lol
    "So forget the other boys because my love is real.
    Come off your battlefield."
  • Options
    JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
    Really love this one. One of the few I'm still dying to see, 0 for 8 thus far.

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    yep! it was great.
  • Options

Yeah...and don't forget the classic uncle Neil guitar solo! You can just see the "pain face" as he's rocking back and forth with his straw hair flopping around.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    my number 4, best lyrically by a mile though

I'll lie alone and wait for the dream,were im not ugly and your looking at me,is the best line ever

Sure everyone as has this thought
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • Options
    I always hold this song up as an example of what good song writing looks/sounds like. Pearl Jam at their best.
  • Options
    I completely agree. It's such a powerful, moving song. Definitely one of my favorites.
  • Options

Hell yea they did, definitely one of my favorites of the show. Mike's guitar was just wicked.....
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,547
    ANyone know what or where the official lyrics are for I got Shit?

"official"? No. But here's some I found...

My lips are shakin`, my nails are bit off
    Been a month since I`ve heard myself talk
    All the advantage this life`s got on me
    Picture a cup in the middle of the sea

And I fight back in my mind...
    Never let`s me be right, oh...
    I got memories, I got shit
    So much it don`t show...

I walked the line
    When you held me in that night
    I walked the line
    When you held my hand that night...

An empty shell seems so easy to crack
    Got all these questions, don`t know who I could even ask
    So I`ll just lie alone and wait for the dream
    Where I`m not ugly and you`re lookin` at me

And I`ll stay in a bed
    Oh, goodbye, I`ve seen him
    If just once, I could feel loved
    Oh, stare back at me, yeah...

But I walked the line
    When you held me in that night
    Oh, I walked the line
    When you held my hand that night
    Oh, I walked the line
    When you held me close at night
    I paid the price, never held you in real life
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    Gmoney wrote:
    i agree, in my top 5 for sure. Just started a thread a couple weeks ago to find out the official lyrics and was blown away when I found out the chorus was "I walked in light" and not "I walked the line"...
    im telling ya, it's "I walked in light"

check the second post down:

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=302050
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    i love this song, always leaves me :( though..

right from the start..

i need to hear this song live
    wah
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,568

I would look up Pittsburgh 2000 if I were you! Prague same year is also great!
    I will swallow poison
  • Options

Can anyone clarify why the song is titled 'I got Id' on Merkinball and on the PJ release page, but everyone refers to it as 'I got shit'? I know the line is in the chorus; is there any other reason? Does it have a dual title?
  • Options
    My absolute favorite of all time as well. Everything about it.
    So intense and powerful from the music to the lyrics etc etc.
    There is always a frozen chill in the air when this is played live. I remember I once played this song with my band (of course we did it no justice) but it was a feeling like no other.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Options
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 151
    its an amazing tune, on eof my favorites.

hope ever hear it live someday of my life.
    11.09.05 Kitchener
    22.11.05 Santiago
    23.11.05 Santiago
    11.06.08 West Palm Beach