Options

"Pearl Jam is such a bastion of integrity and great music"

jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
edited April 2011 in The Porch
I know there are some on the board that like to hear every compliment paid to Pearl Jam, so when I read this today, I thought of you all.

Here is an interview on HuffPo with Buffalo Tom lead singer Bill Janovitz.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-rago ... 46488.html

The part about Pearl Jam comes after the interviewer discusses the origins and history of Buffalo Tom ...

Interviewer: It was sort of like the showbizzy '80s mercifully had fallen victim to indie radio. Kurt Cobain's death, I think, played into that too.

Bill Janovitz: It's funny to think about this now, but Nirvana paralleled our career until they broke through. We were very much on the same level and same scene. So, it's funny to think of that now because Pearl Jam is such a bastion of integrity and great music, and they've been around so long. But on that first record they were seen as coattail riders--they were seen as the lowest common denominator version of the Seattle grunge scene. I mean, they signed right to a major label, so back then, it was like, "Oh my God. You guys didn't pay your dues." Meanwhile, they'd all been in a million bands in Seattle, paying their dues all the way, and God bless them, you know?

As for some connection ... yes, a loooong time ago, these guys were on the same bill ...

vodka3.jpg

Back during the 2006 PJ tour, in a small bar called Toad in Cambridge, MA (holds no more than 50 people), Ed jumped up on stage with Theo Epstein and Bill Janovitz for a few tunes.

BDD_TE_0525_angier.jpg

This all means something to me because if there is one band I would skip Pearl Jam to see, it is Buffalo Tom, one of the most wildly underrated bands of the 90s. Here’s hoping that if they are still putting together the plans for PJ20 Fest, someone gets the brilliant idea to invite Buffalo Tom.

… and yes, Jon Stewart really did say … "My top three artists are Bruce Springsteen, Buffalo Tom, and Tom Waits."

That’s all, happy Friday, I’m bored.
"You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,233
    How the hell did Evan Dando get billed ahead of Buffalo Tom and PJ?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Sorry, PJ is on my shit list until they jam with Brian Cashmen.
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:

Well ... it was July 1991, before Ten was even released I think.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,729
    Sorry, PJ is on my shit list until they jam with Brian Cashmen.

I think Cashman's bedtime comes well before any PJ jams.

That said, Epstien is the douche to end all douches.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    Poncier wrote:

Well that predates Its a Shame About Ray, so there's still no excuse. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:
    Poncier wrote:

I love "It's a Shame about Ray", that album is fantastic.

Wait, what are we talking about?

• Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    Poncier wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

I love "It's a Shame about Ray", that album is fantastic.

Wait, what are we talking about?
    I believe we were discussing Juliana Hatfield
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    Sodajerk is one of my favorite songs ever from the 1990s. It's perfect. Never really got into them other than that and a couple other songs from that album. Cool Jon Stewart quote. :)
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    killmoretroutkillmoretrout Burque, NM Posts: 160
    Mike Ragogna is a solid interviewer, been following his stuff for a little while now. Found myself reading interviews by him w/ artists I could give 2 shits about. BT's killer, though. I wore out 'Big Red Letter Day' & 'Sleepy Eyed' in college. Thx for posting.
  • Options
    oh dear ... a few BT fans but no mention of the album Let Me Come Over?

My favorite album of all time ... seriously!

The one where they made the departure from a J Mascis/Dino Jr clone to what they would become.

Highly recommended.

• Options
    killmoretroutkillmoretrout Burque, NM Posts: 160
    I think I just missed that one. Added it to the queue now.
  • Options
    Buffalo Tom - they did that song, about night? Something about night time? Hold her hand at night?

I can't remember well but I really liked that song

Haven't heard anything else though

I read it as "Pearl Jam is such a bastard" :lol: I was like wuuttt? :roll:
  • Options
    Buffalo Tom - they did that song, about night? Something about night time? Hold her hand at night?

I can't remember well but I really liked that song

Haven't heard anything else though

I read it as "Pearl Jam is such a bastard" :lol: I was like wuuttt? :roll:

Late at Night. Chris Colbourn actually sings on that one.

Fairly popular as it was featured on an episode of My So Called Life, the band actually had a cameo on the show as well (Bill talks about it briefly in the interview).

I'm actually not a fan of that song .. but hey, it got them some fans and brought a lot more females to their shows. Nothing wrong with that. :D

On of their bigger hits in the UK (seeing that's where you are from) was their cover for a Jam tribute album of Going Underground ... think it hit top 10 over there at one point. Love their version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4wadrXgY2E

• Options
    fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    i've never heard of buffalo tom.... worth checking out?
  • Options
    i've never heard of buffalo tom.... worth checking out?

Head over to grooveshark, or whatever your favorite online streaming music site is and listen to the album Let Me Come Over ... hopefully, you'll like it.

• Options
    geckogecko Posts: 1,712
    It was such an odd time, people saying that Pearl Jam didn't pay their dues, when Jeff and Stone were integral part of the scene. Wonder how much of that will be in PJ documentary.
    Anyway, for anyone interested, there is youtube Janovitz interview in which he talks about enviable position PJ is in now, and about PJ fans.
    http://youtu.be/oewzzLAcIqI
  • Options
    Ha ha ... I love Bill, he's so down to earth. ^^^ Great interview for PJ fans to listen to ^^^ ... good stuff about Pearl Jam and ... well ... US!

It's funny, in the 90s, I'd see Bill at tons of shows ... the Middle East, TT the Bears, all those Landsdowne bars ... again, just a down to earth guy you could walk up to, grab a beer and chat music with.