Options

Ed's agenda vs. the band's agenda

yellowbettermanyellowbetterman Posts: 8
edited August 2008 in The Porch
This Ed solo tour had me thinking about two things Eddie said a few years ago.

1) He said he wanted to do an acoustic tour with Pearl Jam, playing small venues. Obviously, that's never happened, but lo and behold, when Eddie goes on his first solo tour, it's (semi-)acoustic. I wonder if the rest of the band isn't interested in an acoustic tour.

2) He said he wanted to do a rock opera. During the same time period (mid-late nineties), he had some stalker problems, which he said he dealt with by writing not-so-radio-friendly songs (hoping to deflate the band's popularity and presence). I wonder if he thought a rock opera would have increased the band's popularity. Or maybe the band didn't want to do the 'Eddie Vedder rock opera album'?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    catch22catch22 Posts: 1,081
    i am very glad number 2 never happened. rock operas are incredibly lame.
    and like that... he's gone.
  • Options
    maybe he was afraid it'd turn out too Tommy-ish ;)
    "I heard some people up here pointing out the ukelele...it's a mandolin, you uncultured bastards!" EV

If nothing is everything, I'll have it all

Hard to Imagine: http://lightyourpillow.blogspot.com
  • Options
    ovechkin8ovechkin8 Posts: 491
    how are rock operas lame?

is into the wild not a rock opera? think about it
  • Options
    G ForceG Force Posts: 1,393
    Im all for The Who and good covers etc...but to do a rock opera also would seem so contrived and a flat out stolen idea. Too copy cat.

Don't do it Ed. Its not necessary.

Acoustic tour...would be just fine by me. I Don't see it happening any time soon.
  • Options
    Oz JammerOz Jammer Posts: 9,858
    ovechkin8 wrote:
    how are rock operas lame?

is into the wild not a rock opera? think about it

I was thinking exactly the same thing the other day while listening to Tommy. ITW is VERY much a rock opera imo
  • Options
    Oz Jammer wrote:
    I was thinking exactly the same thing the other day while listening to Tommy. ITW is VERY much a rock opera imo
    Except in words like "neighbor" & "weigh" :D
    "I heard some people up here pointing out the ukelele...it's a mandolin, you uncultured bastards!" EV

If nothing is everything, I'll have it all

Hard to Imagine: http://lightyourpillow.blogspot.com
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    http://www.punk77.co.uk/punkhistory/dinosaurspart2.htm

Not that I agree with any of it, but it's good reading. :D
  • Options
    tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    The set list for an acoustic Pearl Jam show would be pretty plain. Don't get me wrong I love the idea, but they don't have enough material to vary the set list between shows. For the band it would probably get boring playing the same show ever night.
  • Options
    catch22 wrote:
    i am very glad number 2 never happened. rock operas are incredibly lame.

yeah because Tommy and Quadrophenia are so lame.
    San Diego, July 07, 2006
    Los Angeles, July 10, 2006
    Bridge School Benefit, October 21, 2006
    Bridge School Benefit, October 22, 2006
    Lollapalooza, August 5th, 2007
    eV., Los Angeles April 12, 2008
    eV., San Diego April 15, 2008
    Given to Fly___..
  • Options
    Oz JammerOz Jammer Posts: 9,858
    BOOOM wrote:

:D
    The only problem that I could foresee with PJ doing a rock opera is the same problem that The Who had with Tommy, and that was the fact that Tommy became bigger than the band
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Even Greendays American idiot was an amazing rock/punk opera.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,396
    I think they could do something really great if they tried to write a story to music like that.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Yeah, just a bunch of songs linked together with a common...uh...link...but it's time to ditch the trite "rock opera"...that was OK in the 60's....A concept album would be better, but I think they may have done that already...

Hey! What's Stone's agenda vs. the band's agenda? Does he want them to do a country song or an album of country songs? "There's a Tear in my Beer"?

And...acoustic tours are so three years ago....and are too trendy for PJ....
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    lostpuppylostpuppy Posts: 110
    is the wall considered a rock opera? or just a two music video?

either way, it is a classic
  • Options
    catch22catch22 Posts: 1,081
    BOOOM wrote:

im glad we agree on that.

and into the wild is not a rock opera. it may be a concept album with themes of escape and self-reflection. but it is not rock opera. there is no protagonist. no incredibly cheesy and fucking stupid songs to move a trite and pointless plot forwards. no narrative structure. it's not rock opera.

tommy, the wall, quadrophenia... 3 brilliant albums of 12 good rock tunes apiece that were destroyed by hubris and inane, spinal tap-style self-indulgence.
    and like that... he's gone.
  • Options
    DonJonDonJon Posts: 5,089
    Oz Jammer wrote:
    :D
    The only problem that I could foresee with PJ doing a rock opera is the same problem that The Who had with Tommy, and that was the fact that Tommy became bigger than the band

I was thinking that the other day - imagine if Ed thought 'I can handle this solo stuff' and went out on his own for good.

The rumors about a new band album are solid in my opinion so we definitely are getting another. But after that..who knows...my guess ....Parting Ways
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,294
    The set list for an acoustic Pearl Jam show would be pretty plain. Don't get me wrong I love the idea, but they don't have enough material to vary the set list between shows. For the band it would probably get boring playing the same show ever night.
    I disagree my friend! They have shown the ability to "acoustic" up a wide range of material. Most of TEN was played at the MTV Unplugged show. And did you ever hear the Corduroy accoustic arrangement from Bridge 96, amazing. And if they can pull off Lukin, I'll bet they could re-work 80 percent of their catalog acoustacly, not to mention all the covers.
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I would love for them to do #1. Imagine a tour where they only play places like Benaroya Hall.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13