Options

Where are the Ames Bros. or Klausen?!?

Tremor AndronicusTremor Andronicus Posts: 34
edited September 2008 in The Porch
Went to Bumbershoot on Saturday with a poster tube and my Ames vs. PJ book and they weren't at flatstock. IThey've been there every year that I've gone there; what gives? In fact, not many artists were there!

What the shit?

Anyone know the deal here?

(BTW= worst Bumbershoot overall of the six that I have gone to, but still managed some fun.)
'00: 8/23,24,25; 9/1,2; MSG Ed 10/30.
'03: 4/30; 6/28; 7/2,3,5,6,8,9,14;
'04: 5/14: Ed, CCFA, Shwbx.
'05: 3/18; 5/25 Ed w/ rck schl kds; 9/1,2;
'06: 7/16,18,22,23.
'08: 4/7
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Headed to Bumbershoot today for the first time, and hints. Do you get a wrist band for entry in and out of the venues? and another one for the mainstage?....or is all of Seattle Center contained? Can you go in and out of the grounds?
    Will be an elderly woman behind a counter someday!
  • Options
    Kenrietto wrote:
    Headed to Bumbershoot today for the first time, and hints. Do you get a wrist band for entry in and out of the venues? and another one for the mainstage?....or is all of Seattle Center contained? Can you go in and out of the grounds?

yes, it's separate lines for all that stuff. Seattle Center is contained, but you can get a stamp to reenter. Remember to get your bracelet early for big headliners. Yesterday, all headliners and comedy stage stuff were gone very early.

And don't expect to see the Ames. Bros. or Klausen!
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    Went to Bumbershoot on Saturday with a poster tube and my Ames vs. PJ book and they weren't at flatstock. IThey've been there every year that I've gone there; what gives? In fact, not many artists were there!

What the shit?

Anyone know the deal here?

(BTW= worst Bumbershoot overall of the six that I have gone to, but still managed some fun.)
    they werent at flatstock at pitchfork festival here in chicago either... i was disappointed... there were tons of other great artists though! and i saved myself a lot of money im sure by them not being there

maybe theyve established enough of a name for themselves and have plenty of other ways of making money and publicizing that they dont need flatstock... or they just wanna give newer artist a chance in the spotlight
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    I think BK mentioned something like "I'm done with that" after his last Flatstock appearance (last year Seattle, I think) due to some well known incidents there...
    Landgraaf 00 Hamburg 00
    Arnhem 06 Antwerp 06 Berlin 06
    Düsseldorf 07 Nijmegen 07

Neil Young And Friends Berlin 95
  • Options
    Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,977
    I kind of wondered what the established artists would do after reading some fairly negative reports on poster/artist events last year.

Seemed like the artists themselves were/are getting a little fed up with the flippers that are only in it for the quick profit. It does make an artists work "worth" more initially, but if the market cant maintain the demand, the artist will have a closet full of supply. And most of the artists are really that: artists and they love and believe in what they create, or at least want a piece of the pie that they create.

After Emek pasted torn up posters all over the bathroom, I would guess he is nowhere in sight either?
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    jaamfaan wrote:
    I kind of wondered what the established artists would do after reading some fairly negative reports on poster/artist events last year.

Seemed like the artists themselves were/are getting a little fed up with the flippers that are only in it for the quick profit. It does make an artists work "worth" more initially, but if the market cant maintain the demand, the artist will have a closet full of supply. And most of the artists are really that: artists and they love and believe in what they create, or at least want a piece of the pie that they create.

After Emek pasted torn up posters all over the bathroom, I would guess he is nowhere in sight either?

There are a few shows that EMEK shows up to in Portland and SF ... but, indeed, it's a little out of hand when he does show up. Long lines, and sadly, a bunch of his stuff on ebay right after the show .... just like his online sales.

The torn posters in the bathroom, I thought was a brilliant move. Heck, would I like one of those Pearl Jam Santa Barbara posters? Sure, would love to have one to frame .... but, he's not allowed to sell them ... so, why not make a staement with them?

As for Brad Klausen ... the quote was "Flatstock is chum for flippers" ... he's made no secret for his distate for others making money off his art. I guess his booth last year was an all out disaster, people lining up for hours, people bringing family members in line with them to get extra posters (it was one of each post per person), people calling each other out ... just an ugly scene.

Perhaps with the online store working, and a lot of that highly sought after back stock gone, he'd be more inclined to head ot one of these shows with his new material ... we'll see.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    quasiquasi Posts: 492
    As far as I know, Ames hasn't been at the Bumbershoot Flatstock since 2004. The last time I myself saw Ames at Bumbershoot was 2003 when I picked up a Champaign poster from them but I haven't seen them at Bumbershoot since. Brad has been there 2005 through 2007 but I think he definitely didn't come because of the vultures from last year. However, Art Chantry was there and he is a poster legend and I talked with him for awhile. Very cool guy. I bought a poster from him and talked with him about his poster cutting scene in "Hype" which we had a good laugh about.
    SEA 9/20/92, SEA 12/7/93, SEA 12/31/94 (MS), SEA 11/5/00, SEA 11/6/00, SEA 12/8/02, SEA 12/9/02, BEN 10/22/03, GOR 9/1/05, SD 7/7/06, LA 7/10/06, LA 7/12/06, LA (EV) 4/12/08, LA (EV) 4/13/08, LA 7/12/08, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/7/09, SEA 12/6/13, SEA 8/8/18
  • Options
    MudfestMudfest Posts: 1,015
    I think Brad was saying people were sending up Kids to buy extra posters ...
    sick ...

M
    ===
    "OH Canada...You are so Beautiful when you are Drunk." Eddie
    1993-08-14 Gimli Mb Motorsport Park
    03-05-30 Vanc;05-09-08 Wpg
    05-09-07 Sask Sk;05-09-04 Calg
    05-09-05 Edm Alb;05-09-02 Vanc
    06-07-02/ 03 Denver 1 + 2;06-10-21/22 Bridge 1 +2
    4/3 + 4/2/08 Vanc Vedder ; 6/24+25 MSG /Toronto 09/buffalo 10/EV Chic 1-2
  • Options
    Strange, I met Klausen at Flatstock last year and there weren't any lines. He sold me his very last Gorge I poster (a prized possession).

He was gracious and we chatted and then he took a photo with me. No problems.

The hastle must have come later on?
  • Options
    i caught the emek torn posters thing...great way to protest. is that why that poster is so rare and hard to come by? because emek cant sell it?

anyways, for the completely retarded, can someone explain what this flatstock thing is? is it an art show for posters? are there various locations? should i just head over to google to find out?
    I shit and I stink, I'm real, join the club...
  • Options
    i caught the emek torn posters thing...great way to protest. is that why that poster is so rare and hard to come by? because emek cant sell it?

anyways, for the completely retarded, can someone explain what this flatstock thing is? is it an art show for posters? are there various locations? should i just head over to google to find out?
    its a poster festival / sale thing that usually happens alongside and within the gates of a larger indie music festival... the last one i was at probably had about 40 or so artists showing their work... didnt see anything going for over $200 either so the prices are all fairly reasonable... and its cool to talk to the artists themselves since theyre usually there
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options

the 2006 EMEK Santa Barbara poster ... http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/40546/49489 ... was commisioned by the venue, without approval from Pearl Jam's mgmt. I guess when PJ mgmt/10c heard about it, they put the kibosh on ANY sales of the print, possibly threatening lawsuit(?). I'm sure they wanted their official print to be sold with no competition.

Anyway, very few prints made it into the public ... most are the ones that were given to the venue. Possibly under 10 or so. It's a shame, becuse it could be Pearl Jam's best poster (even if it did reuse one of EMEK's designs from a previous art print).

For those that don't know, last year at a poster show in Portland ... EMEK ripped some of the prints he has and stapled them up in the men's room. The protest was not against Pearl Jam, it was making fun of the maniacal nature of poster collectors and possibly, Pearl Jam fans as well (at least, the ones that collect posters). One of the hand written comments on the posters stated "They're just posters, people!" This is probably the poster he gets asked about most often, and while he may have a stack of them collecting dust, he cannot sell them. Yet, people ALWAYS ask ... a lot.
    sgossard3 wrote:
    its a poster festival / sale thing that usually happens alongside and within the gates of a larger indie music festival... the last one i was at probably had about 40 or so artists showing their work... didnt see anything going for over $200 either so the prices are all fairly reasonable... and its cool to talk to the artists themselves since theyre usually there

Some folks bring out their rarer items, items they've been holding for a few years that is highly sought after ... those items certianly cost a few hundred dollars. If Ames Bros bought out their 98s, I'm sure there would be huge price tags on them. Heck, they'd probably do that for their 2003 prints.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    EMEK ripped some of the prints he has and stapled them up in the men's room. One of the hand written comments on the posters stated "They're just posters, people!"

someone posted a pic of this on the pit a week ago.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    i think there is a pic of it at expressobeans.com, its one of the photos for the poster.

it says there that by the end of the night some of the torn posters had been stolen...they were above a urinal.

it is a very cool poster though...what have some of them gone for? wanst one on ebay a while back? $3000.00 or something? ebeans doenst have info...
    I shit and I stink, I'm real, join the club...
  • Options
    it is a very cool poster though...what have some of them gone for? wanst one on ebay a while back? $3000.00 or something? ebeans doenst have info...

http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/42633

2 of the H.C. versions have sold for around/just over $3k.

(and beofre you ask, H.C. stand for "Hors Commerce" ... traditionally, these are not for resale ... but I guess the money was too good to pass up for the owners)