Options

Pearl Jam and Maui

STT757STT757 Posts: 302
edited August 2008 in The Porch
My Wife and I just got back from a week in Maui, our first time in Hawaii and Maui was paradise! I took both of my Pearl Jam in Maui '98 bootlegs to listen to. While walking around Lahaina I went into a music/painting memorabilia store, low and behold there were several pictures of the various members of Pearl Jam visiting the store themselves. Some cool pictures of Ed through the Years (I guess he's been there a couple times) and a couple real nice one's of Mike and his very Pregnant wife, I forgot her name (not going to get into that stalker stuff) but I congratulations to Mike whenever it happened. The photo did not look too long ago, 2-3 years at the most.

They had a sister store in Waimea, some more photos there too.

How often do you think the guys visit Maui, do you think they would play there again. If they do I am there in a heartbeat.

Thanks..
Randalls Island New York 9/29/96 - Oakland Coliseum Oakland California 11/15/97 - MSG New York New York 09/10/98 - Key Arena Seattle Washington 11/05/00, 11/06/00 - PNC Bank Arts Center Holmdel New Jersey 7/14/03 - Tweeter Center Camden New Jersey 5/28/06, MSG New York New York 06/25/08, Spectrum Arena Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 10/27/09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Ed was on Maui just after the 10th of July this year. He had dinner in Kimo's in Lahaina. He likes cruzing with Laird and the Boyz!!!!! Check out Iconoclast episode 2 on the sundancechannel.com to see Ed and Larido's on a surf session!
  • Options
    the hawaii connection is very strong...the last show in honolulu was epic! boom is from hawaii!

i lived in kihei for the last five years....what do you do there somethingaboutmary? perhaps we crossed paths and never new it...my buddies all play in a band called A Kettle Prime. they play at mulligans all the time...i used to do SNUBA outa maalaea.

maui is paradise and very majical but it has a troubled future. if they arent careful it could all be completely developed like most of oahu within the next decade.

christ is the mukolele done yet? theyve been working on that road forever!

aloha...maui no ka oi!
    I shit and I stink, I'm real, join the club...
  • Options
    Ed was on Maui just after the 10th of July this year. He had dinner in Kimo's in Lahaina. He likes cruzing with Laird and the Boyz!!!!! Check out Iconoclast episode 2 on the sundancechannel.com to see Ed and Larido's on a surf session!

That's cool, my Wife and I ate there on our last night on Maui.

BTW..

Sensei was a let down, Pineapple Grill was excellent.
    Randalls Island New York 9/29/96 - Oakland Coliseum Oakland California 11/15/97 - MSG New York New York 09/10/98 - Key Arena Seattle Washington 11/05/00, 11/06/00 - PNC Bank Arts Center Holmdel New Jersey 7/14/03 - Tweeter Center Camden New Jersey 5/28/06, MSG New York New York 06/25/08, Spectrum Arena Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 10/27/09
  • Options
  • Options
    go prego pre Posts: 650
    are you shitting me? my wife and i were on our honeymoon then. we left maui for the big island on the 10th of july. and we were in lahaina for a while. just missed out.
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • Options
    OkOk Posts: 2,144
    STT757 wrote:
    That's cool, my Wife and I ate there on our last night on Maui.

BTW..

Sensei was a let down, Pineapple Grill was excellent.

Sensei a let down? did you have bad service? I have to assume so as I can't imagine the food was a let down...that place has gotten off the charts reviews for years now and is one of my absolute favorite spots to dine....
  • Options
    (Ok) wrote:
    Sensei a let down? did you have bad service? I have to assume so as I can't imagine the food was a let down...that place has gotten off the charts reviews for years now and is one of my absolute favorite spots to dine....

musta been the serivce...that place is the shit! it has some of the most chronic sushi dishes in the world! the rock shrimp dish is outa this world! and the panko crusted ahi is award winning!

go late night for the 1/2 off prices and kareoke (sp?) its a good deal and a great laugh....get there on time as a line forms and its 1st come 1st serve....

there are a lot of good place to eat on maui and a lot of bad ones...cafe'O lei in kihei is top notch for your dollar...

there is a fish taco truck down in makena that is delicious....i used to work there.
  • Options
    The problem with Sensei was a couple of things:

1.) We ordered all the items that were identified as "must try" or "Sensei specials", most of which were fried dishes. We were not expecting so much fried food, it was like KFC.

2.) Some of the items we wanted to order they were out of.

3.) There was a group of four people at the table next to us, one of them seemed to work there or was an owner or something. They were our age (30-35) all locals, they were so drunk and loud. It was bothering everyone in the restaurant and nobody said anything to them. There were three guys and one Woman, the guys were laughing so loud. It was not just that they were laughing, they had high pitched screechy laughs and voices. You would never know these guys went through puberty.

Sensei was okay, but it's hyped like it's Nobu. I've been to Nobu, and Sensei is no Nobu. There are at least three other Japanese restaurants in Manhattan that put Sensei to shame, we were going to try them again in Honolulu but ended up at a Japanese Barbeque place which was to die for. They have two in Manhattan that were are anxious to try, I asked for their best Japanese beer and they brought me a huge bottle that had to be the Japanese equivilant of Colt 45. That and the Sake sampler got me wrecked.

Other restaurants we ate at on Maui:

Lahaina FIsh company- touristy but excellent fish
    Pineapple grill - excellent food, excellent service, great atmosphere
    Kimos- nice atmosphere, good fish
    Tropica - this was excellent, beautiful setting. It was also in our Hotel (the Westin) so we did not have to go far.

We were referred to a couple other places by a Doctor I went to see in Kapalua because of my sunburn, he was originally from our hometown in New Jersey. He got us to make reservations at two places that we didn't get to for one reason or another, one was MALA. And the other was Lahaina grill.
  • Options
    the hawaii connection is very strong...the last show in honolulu was epic! boom is from hawaii!

i lived in kihei for the last five years....what do you do there somethingaboutmary? perhaps we crossed paths and never new it...my buddies all play in a band called A Kettle Prime. they play at mulligans all the time...i used to do SNUBA outa maalaea.

maui is paradise and very majical but it has a troubled future. if they arent careful it could all be completely developed like most of oahu within the next decade.

christ is the mukolele done yet? theyve been working on that road forever!

aloha...maui no ka oi!

Aloha Bra!

I teach 5th grade in Lahaina and worked at Longhi's. My husband was a charter boat captain on the Absolute and the Ho'okela out of Lahaina. Good friends with the Rascal, Piper, and Strike Zone guyz out of Maalea. My husband teachs at Lahainaluna High now and runs the Ocean Boating Program there.

The Mokulele Highway is finally done. Whole new big intersection at the junction to Piilani/S. Kihei Rd. They are starting to work on the pali just past Ukamehame on the mauka side too. Wonder how long that will take?

Shoots then. Aloha! :)
  • Options
    STT757 wrote:

That's the music store right next to Subway in Lahaina on the main highway!
  • Options
    Aloha Bra!

I teach 5th grade in Lahaina and worked at Longhi's. My husband was a charter boat captain on the Absolute and the Ho'okela out of Lahaina. Good friends with the Rascal, Piper, and Strike Zone guyz out of Maalea. My husband teachs at Lahainaluna High now and runs the Ocean Boating Program there.

The Mokulele Highway is finally done. Whole new big intersection at the junction to Piilani/S. Kihei Rd. They are starting to work on the pali just past Ukamehame on the mauka side too. Wonder how long that will take?

Shoots then. Aloha! :)

my brother works on the piper right now! hes actually back here in florida for a break but he lives in maalaea. hes their first mate, merritt, is his name...wow small pearl jam world. i was a dive master for maui dive shop and did SNUBA on the maui majic and the hokua. a buddy of mine bartends at the loghis in wailea...

ive been gone for almost a year...i use to live in the big house on the corner of halama st (awesome street to live on) and welakahao in kihei. i need to get back out there asap, all my pictures kill me. so you make that drive over the pali to go to work? love that road...especially during whale season! god i miss maui!

if you get a chance go chek out A KETTLE PRIME on maui....they are allover kihei. good times...

aloha!
  • Options
    my brother works on the piper right now! hes actually back here in florida for a break but he lives in maalaea. hes their first mate, merritt, is his name...wow small pearl jam world. i was a dive master for maui dive shop and did SNUBA on the maui majic and the hokua. a buddy of mine bartends at the loghis in wailea...

ive been gone for almost a year...i use to live in the big house on the corner of halama st (awesome street to live on) and welakahao in kihei. i need to get back out there asap, all my pictures kill me. so you make that drive over the pali to go to work? love that road...especially during whale season! god i miss maui!

if you get a chance go chek out A KETTLE PRIME on maui....they are allover kihei. good times...

aloha!

Small World! Ya, Jeff on the Piper has been a friend of mine for a long time. I have heard good things about your brother working the back deck on Piper. What a nice ride that boat is! I used to fish with Jeff back in the day on Start Me Up, and with his old deck hand Scotty D too. Tell your bro to tell Kahl you heard from "Big Game" on the PJ boards :)

Let us know when you come back. We'll crank some PJ boots, and suck up a few cold ones down in the harbor on Piper.

We'll make sure and check out your buddies band.

Mahalo,
    Big Game and Mary
  • Options
    gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    You all make me want to go to Hawaii really bad :(

I checked prices already for next summer, lol :)
    Happiness is only real when shared