Options

now that thw tour is over for now...

silver39silver39 Columbus, Ohio Posts: 1,346
edited September 2008 in The Porch
I've got to ask all of you who follow around the band, which I would LOVE to do but I'm broke and cannot afford to do this....how do you all afford it? Are you all CEO's or something where do you get the money for gas, tickets, plus airfare or hotel, etc???

just curious :-)
"I'll ride the wave,Where it takes me, I'll hold the pain, Release me"
"I'm not about to give thanks or appologize"
"Caught a bolt of lighting, cursed the day he let it go"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    silver39 wrote:
    I've got to ask all of you who follow around the band, which I would LOVE to do but I'm broke and cannot afford to do this....how do you all afford it? Are you all CEO's or something where do you get the money for gas, tickets, plus airfare or hotel, etc???

It is called a job.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    schmoffschmoff Posts: 428
    set aside a small PJ fund and then CHARGE IT
    50+ shows and lost count somewhere along the way
  • Options
    i have a job and following pearl jam is how i vacation. some people like to hang out on the beach and drink shit out of a fruit with a little gay umbrella in it. do you ask those guys how they afford it too?
  • Options
    ovechkin8 wrote:
    i have a job and following pearl jam is how i vacation. some people like to hang out on the beach and drink shit out of a fruit with a little gay umbrella in it. do you ask those guys how they afford it too?

Your cute story aside, it's a good question - most people don't vacation for a month or more straight.
  • Options
    yes, if you can afford a vacation you can afford to follow pearl jam around for a few shows. i know a couple people who have done a whole leg, but they are few and far between. of those who have done so that i personally know, they are quite far from rich. they just scrimp and save and do without...to do what they really want - follow pj. me, it's simply $$$ that would've gone to another vacation. same difference.

btw - airmiles are your friend. also, travelling with friends helps with cost enormously.
    this last tour was far more pricey for me/us b/c my husband joined, and traveled with me, for some shows...whereas normally i go with friends. also had a 'friend' not pay their fair share as expected, but that's another story. 2006, airmiles and travelling with friends kept the italian tour pretty affordable. 2007, london, dusseldorf and nijmegen...again, airmiles...and staying with friends made it WAY more affordable, and thus could travel/stay longer. traveling close to home keeps costs down further, if planned well. just about anything is doable if you want it enough.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    Your cute story aside, it's a good question - most people don't vacation for a month or more straight.

Or average a concert a week for four months.

:o

i do however agree with the guy about "this is how I vacation."

I cut lots of other corners in order to be able to afford my Pearl Jam.

And it's all worth it!!!!!!

:)
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,004
    one of the benefits of getting sober..

goodbye bar tabs...

hello 10C!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    Repossession, bankruptcy, foreclosure...

Where’s the next show?

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• Options
    silver39 wrote:

sell veggie burritos in the lot or steal a nitrous tank from your dentist to sell balloons !!

oh wait....wrong band.....
  • Options
    It is called a job.

I have a job! that's why i was wondering...we get 2 weeks vaca ONLY so how do all of you get the time off for weeks on end??? I mean I get that I could scrip and save for my Pearl Jam vacation but that's not what I meant when I asked the intial question...thanks for the answers :-)
  • Options
    PJPATPJPAT Posts: 399
    silver39 wrote:

I passed up bonnaroo because of the money. Since I saved on that I was able to see Eddie 3 times.

No Posters
    No T-Shirts
    Crash anywhere I can

I have a job that is pretty stable along with a wife and 2 kids that like to eat. You need to keep it in perspective. If you dont think you have the money to do it then dont.

I try to live within my means. If I was still living at home, single, no kids, i would have been to the east coast to see them.
    "All the money you make will never buy back your soul" Bob Dylan

"I need honesty, I need truth, and I need hope...I need it! That's what music means to me." EV
  • Options
    living on the east coast helps. every tour is guaranteed 2 show sin my city (nyc), 2 in philly (2-3 hour drive, doesn't require me to take off, jsut leave a bit early), 2 in boston (longer drive, thats either a day off or a half day). So thats 6 shows right there...then you have the random hartford date or a show in canada and without even spending money on a hotel room, its like 8-10 shows.
  • Options
    ovechkin8 wrote:
    living on the east coast helps. every tour is guaranteed 2 show sin my city (nyc), 2 in philly (2-3 hour drive, doesn't require me to take off, jsut leave a bit early), 2 in boston (longer drive, thats either a day off or a half day). So thats 6 shows right there...then you have the random hartford date or a show in canada and without even spending money on a hotel room, its like 8-10 shows.

Must be nice to live anywhere close to where you can drive to....I live in Columbus, Ohio and the closest any gets is Cleveland or Cincy but those are not BIG enough cities for most bands, including Pearl Jam...I've seen them everytime they have been here though :-)

Plus, I only have a few friends who are as big of fans as myself and they def do not have the extra cash to go anywhere with me.
  • Options
    silver39 wrote:
    Plus, I only have a few friends who are as big of fans as myself and they def do not have the extra cash to go anywhere with me.

You make the friends by going to the shows. :)

I've always had jobs that gave me A LOT of time off... and now haven't been working so i have a WHOLE HELL OF A LOT OF TIME OFF.

I need to get a job soon so that by the time tour time rolls around i'll have my vacation days in place. :)

And yes... I too live in New York which makes it easier... but "back in the day" they didn't play NY a lot so I traveled a lot more and a lot further... lots to cities where i had friends though.
  • Options
    petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    Its just a committment...you decide how much you can afford and how much you are willing to part with and then you spend $1,0000 OVER that :)
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,178
    I have 1 of those 5 gallon poland spring water bottles that eats my loose change...you would be surprised on how much it collects

It doesn't cover all expenses but it helps
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    save save save. pick and choose shows. i think people that followthe band just have a lot of friends all over and have free places to stay or sleep in airports.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    save save save. pick and choose shows. i think people that followthe band just have a lot of friends all over and have free places to stay or sleep in airports.

sometime...next tour I'm looking for new places to stay :)
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    I usually just do 5-6 shows in a row. It's not too bad if you manage it well, figure out cheaper hotels and/or minimize hotel usage entirely. I just know it will run me a bit of money so I accept that and go with it. I think most people could swing a week's worth of shows if they just budget appropriately, limit frivolous spending for a few months before and after the tour, and are ok with a credit card balance for a little while.

I just don't understand people who go to every show. Unless you are a teacher in the summer, how do you get the time off?
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    petrocs wrote:
    sometime...next tour I'm looking for new places to stay :)

most of my friends live in places that are hell expensive to fly to, so i'm broke by the time i get there. gonna have to be subway for dinner and a show. nothing more!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    most of my friends live in places that are hell expensive to fly to, so i'm broke by the time i get there. gonna have to be subway for dinner and a show. nothing more!

well if you ever make it over to NJ for a show come see us :)
    Shows:
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,872
    silver39 wrote:
    Must be nice to live anywhere close to where you can drive to....I live in Columbus, Ohio and the closest any gets is Cleveland or Cincy but those are not BIG enough cities for most bands, including Pearl Jam...I've seen them everytime they have been here though :-)

well you just met one . I live in columbus and am now in a position to go to some shows.not weeks on end but i could drive to shows within a few hours from here.and PJ does come to c-bus occasionally
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Pretty much what everyone else said.....plus ALOT of begging to make sure my kids are takin care of!

Try to cut a deal with your boss next tour! :D

Work overtime....over-acheive when you need to so you can get some more time off.....

I definately also "Vacation" during the tour.

Hawaii--- London---Portland---Santa Cruz + the shows????? What more could a girl ask for!

I do find however.....the more shows I go to in 1 stretch the more USELESS I am for a few weeks.

Good luck...start saving now while you have time!

peace :)
    How I choose to feel......is how I am.
  • Options
    NYbenbenNYbenben Posts: 1,020
    It is called a job.
    a job definitly helps... having a ton of frequent flyer miles also helps....
    4/12/92, 8/11/92, 9/28/96, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 7/9/03, 4/30/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 12/9/05, 5/12/06, 5/17/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 12/9/06, EV LA 4/12-4/13/08, 6/12/08, 6,19,08, 6,20,08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 7/1/08

and still jonesing for another show....
    "the waiting drove me mad..."
  • Options
    NYbenben wrote:
    a job definitly helps... having a ton of frequent flyer miles also helps....

I guess when you NEVER fly because you are too poor to begin with you don't get that option and you have to pay for everything yourself....sucks being poor :-(
  • Options
    smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    I'm Neil McCaully
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • Options
    smile05 wrote:
    I'm Neil McCaully

WTF does this mean?????
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I think this is a pretty fair question.

Its not so much a money thing as it is a time thing. I have never had a job until now where I could get more than 1 week off at a time. So I have always been confined to hometown shows and possibly an additional show in the region that falls on a weekend. I also probably never had the cash until recently to go 'all out'.

Now I am saving some money gradually and keeping a cache of days off in reserve for 'next time'. I would like to go to 2 weeks of shows.

I would say a teacher would be able to see a huge chunk of a tour if enough disposable money were available
  • Options
    Everyone asks me the same thing. I have a good job that I have worked hard to make good money at. I get 5 paid weeks vacation so i have the time to just take off whenever. I put my yearly bonus away and my income tax refund so if these shows come up i can plan on going.

I have freinds that work and live in NY and Washington. It costs me nothing to visit and stay there for those shows, plus they are huge fans too. I always do the Camden shows they are like a halfe hour away. I usually do lawn for those shows show me and a big group can just drink our asses of and scream out the lyrics. I save the good seats and the spending cash part for the other places.

I usually hit about 6 shows a tour now.
    9/29/1996 NY
    9/1&2/2000 Camden
    7/6/2003 Camden
    5/27/2006 Camden 6/1&3/2006 NJ
    6/19/2008 Camden, 6/22/2008 Washington DC, 6/25/2008 NY
    8/7/2008 Eddie Vedder NJ, 6/11/2008 Eddie Vedder Philly (3rd Row! Thanks 10c!!)
    10/28,30&31/2009 Philly
  • Options
    I work in a restaurant so getting time off is no big deal. I also have 2 weeks paid vacation. As far as being able to afford it... In my world where there is a will there is a way. If it's meant to be it all works out. I was privileged enought to attend EV Santa Cruz, MSG I and II, EV NY II and EV Wash DC this year and I am extremely grateful for that. We'll see what happens next year. :)
    PJ FANS ROCK!!!

Finally got that "One for the Thumb"!!! Got the "Six Pack". Now we're on a "Stairway to Seven"

Some words when spoken...can't be taken back.

"Seeing a brick wall straight ahead and stepping on the gas." Eddie...Pittsburgh 6/23/06