Options

Why are our teen years filled with liking commercial bands?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
edited April 2011 in Other Music
I know their were lots of people into underground and indie music during my high school and middle school years, i was in high school from 1999-2003, but I was alot like everyone else and listened to my local alt rock station that played the usual stuff, Nickelback, Creed, Staind, Linkin Park, Alien Ant Farm, Sum 41 etc... And I can admit to liking some of it, but it was also what everyone else listened to, it was popular.

My question is, why do alot of us have bands like this in our closets? Did we all like those bands to be cool and fit in? Why is that type of music so popular with kids? Why was alt rock radio and bands like i mentioned above so popular with kids in my school, but also nationwide from 1999-2003 and beyond as well?

why do alot of us seem to like these popular bands as teens and whatnot and then move on to newer more exciting bands later on?

Sure there are many teens who discover crazy experimental music, but alot of teens were like me, and listened and bought what was popular and on the radio.

Why was i listening to alot of that stuff and not say () by Sigur Ros, I can remember a kid in class having the cd in class and the cover stuck out to me, but i never listened to it, until i was in college, which was 3 or 4 years later. I remember listening to Alien Ant Farm and Nickelback, around 2002/2003, but why wasnt i listening to Oh Inverted world, or The Creek Drank the Cradle?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    I don't think there is anything wrong with liking those bands, I just happen to be a wierd little girl who was influenced by her Dad and brother's music which was pretty eclectic. :? But I still don't think there is anything wrong with what your into. You should just be free to be yourself. :D
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Options
    AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    Hell, in my teens I was into... Hmmm

Celtic Frost
    Rush
    Mercyful Fate
    Husker Du
    Destruction

I hated pop music
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • Options
    Cool Face RyanCool Face Ryan Posts: 1,254
    I'm 18, and all my friends mostly listen to rap/hip hop! My closest friends listen to metal type stuff like Avenged Sevenfold and Iron Maiden, although I went to an STP concert with one of them. I tell people the music I listen to all the time. They only know Pearl Jam for 6 songs and Eddies voice, and other bands like Kings of Leon or Cage the Elephant or Foo Fighters they know but dont listen to a lot. Its rough having to be the only person I know who listens to an array of genres like I do, because I really do like all kinds of rock and a little rap.

EDIT: And I'm one of the "cool kids" :lol:
    MSG II 5/21/10
    Tres Mts. Gramercy Theatre 3/26/11
    *formerly manutd3581
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Mainstream radio targets what major labels find popular. Long story short: Money. Major Labels are out there to advertise and exploit the next trend that will fill their pockets with millions. Once the fad dies off, the band is either dropped or just jerked around by matter of opionion based on where the trend is moving. It is natural and completely normal to like certain songs by bands. No problem with that. Remember, everythin is based on an OPINION. Trends change, and yes, people grow apart from a band. Regardless everything is OPINIONATED. Weather or not , you agree with said opinion is up to you.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    In 17 and I try to keep an open mind in regards to all music

While its true quite a few people my age listen to commercial music, there are people I know (including myself) who keep an open mind

Lately I have been listening to Howlin Wolf, Son House, Radiohead, Screaming Trees, and The Dead Weather. Commercial or not, if it is good Ill listen to it!
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    in my teens i was all into the pop punk bands, punk bands, ska bands, some hardcore bands.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Because when your in high school you do whatever you can to fit in because your too immature/ self conscious to do anything else. Part of that means listening to shit music. If you didn't, you were a nerd. Me, I was somewhere in the middle.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    hockeygrrlhockeygrrl Posts: 141
    Heh...I was listening to PJ from Middle School on. PJ and Metallica and mostly Seattle stuff beyond that....fast forward a bunch of years and guess what I still listen to. :) I listened to some bands that were played on the radio, though I think in Detroit we were pretty blessed with a wide array of music, from every genre you could imagine, but I don't let the commercial thing bother me...I listen(ed) to what I think sounds good.
    <b>One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain</b> <i>~Bob Marley</i>
  • Options
    craigbcraigb Posts: 806
    I'm 20 and in college now. I've listened to PJ and Zeppelin and lots of classic rock since I was really little (thanks to my dad), and also soul and early R & B (thanks to my mom), but it wasn't until late in high school that I started really listening to stuff (I liked Creed and JET and Blink-182 and Fall Out Boy)...and I attribute this to 3 albums that really made me delve: PJ's Vs., Oasis's (What's the Story) Morning Glory, and the Black Crowes' Southern Harmony and Musical Companion.

I had 3 teachers in high school that really helped me out musically. My math teacher was into more indie stuff like PJ Harvey (stuff most high schoolers aren't aware of), my english teacher was really into the blues, but was also an avid fan of the Crowes and a fromer Ten club member, and my drama teacher was into the poppier-sounding end of the spectrum - Matthew Sweet, Oasis, REM, Strokes, Shins, etc.

So my music tastes are pretty much attributable to 5 people: Mom, dad, and my 3 teachers.
    "Speak clearly if you speak at all; carve every word before you let it fall"

Los Angeles 10.7.2009
  • Options
    you don't know yourself well enough at that age to know what you like. and, as someone else said, it has a lot to do with fitting in. very few hardcore metal kids (I'm not talking your gramma's Metallica, here), and they were OUTCASTS. Simply because of the band shirts they wore.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    my 13 year old son has recently gotten into music. ive no idea why it took him so long. anyhoo... the other day eh comes home and asks if i ahve any CDs by bands that start with 'G'. i laugh and say yes and then start naming them.. grinspoon, greenhornes, garbage.. he interjects and asks any he night have heard of. i asked him why doesnt he just tell me who hes looking for. he answers good charlotte. i said no i dont but his sisters do. i ask him why and he says cause his band is doing one of their songs and he needs to learn it. i bit my tongue before i could blurt out why not do a green day song. hes gonna be a hard nut to crack im afraid. oh and next week hes going to his first rockshow... good charlotte.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    I am glad I wasn't in High School when Pearl Jam/Nirvana/Grunge hit... I would have hated them all, for no other reason other than they would be popular...Glad I am over that...
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,757
    A lack of resources
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    Maybe those bands just genuinely appeal to them. I see plenty of adults still going around listening to Nickelback, Creed, Three Doors Down, Bon Jovi...aka, popular music.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • Options
    hockeygrrlhockeygrrl Posts: 141
    AzWicker wrote:
    I am glad I wasn't in High School when Pearl Jam/Nirvana/Grunge hit... I would have hated them all, for no other reason other than they would be popular...Glad I am over that...

I was in Middle School when everything hit pretty big but my school didn't seem to be affected. There was a handful of us but the rest were listening to rap and r&b...definitely kept it from being overkill.
    <b>One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain</b> <i>~Bob Marley</i>
  • Options
    bennett13bennett13 Posts: 439
    I was well-known in high school for my musical eccentricities. The only really current band I consistently liked was Pearl Jam, and they started losing fans around my junior year when "No Code" was released. Of course, I loved "No Code" and have stuck with PJ to this day. I thought current bands were so terrible, in fact, that I shut myself off from other bands that I would have enjoyed had I not been so quick to dismiss them. Turns out they would just have to wait.

I was big on classic rock and always had been. I was the resident Beatles expert from elementary school on. My first real concert was Eric Clapton at age 16. By the time I was a senior, I was getting into "progressive country" music like Guy Clark, Jerry Jeff Walker & Robert Earl Keen. I always loved the blues.

Then I went to college in New Orleans and my musical palate expanded to include jazz, funk, second-line, and all the other musical flavors of that wonderfully musical city.

I was never big on listening to music just because someone in my class or on MTV said it was cool. I'll take a listen and be the judge myself, thank you very much!
  • Options
    Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    Back when I was a teen the internet was a pipe dream. We had to go to the mall and spill over aisles of music and usually had no way of previewing it. Our only resources were the radio, MTV and the great Friday Night Videos. Back then, unless you had a really cool older sibling or friend, you were stuck. I was very happy when my Parents finally allowed me to get a subscription to Rolling Stone and Spin. Wow! How times have changed... :shock:
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,643
    Back when I was a teen the internet was a pipe dream. We had to go to the mall and spill over aisles of music and usually had no way of previewing it. Our only resources were the radio, MTV and the great Friday Night Videos. Back then, unless you had a really cool older sibling or friend, you were stuck. I was very happy when my Parents finally allowed me to get a subscription to Rolling Stone and Spin. Wow! How times have changed... :shock:

this is the answer.
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I pretty much agree.

The internet has dominated the modern world.

Back before the internet started in 1995? or so radio, or cd stores where it. Unless, you got word from a friend, listenend at a friends house, the radio, cd store ect- that was the accessabile way to music back then.

The internet and digital technology has now become the biggest market for music advertismemt, indie or major.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    sure i think you all hit the nail on the head, the internet makes it pretty amazing for us, as i have free access to basically every song recorded since the music began being recorded.

that said, there were obviously as i said in my original post, in my high school days of 99-2003, there were kids who were into underground hip hop, as i got into that oh in 2001 or so when i became political, and there were kids who were into sigur ros, as evidenced by my recollection of seeing people pass the album cover to people in class. and i have no doubt in 2001 or whatever people were obsessing over the first shins album. and Godspeed. All that stuff. all the music I view now as masterpieces and mindblowing. the point is, i wasnt exposed to those people, the people who listened to indie/cool/hip music back then in 99-2003, and i rarely encountered people who fit that mold.

plus we arent really talking the stone ages here people! sure my freshman year in 99, of course, napster hit, and people were still new to the internet and illegal filesharing, but still by 2001 or 2002 or so, you'd think my school would be filled with people with eclectic and hip music tastes.

at my school, the alt rock station that played linkin park and creed and those types of bands was very popular. it was cool to listen to that station and all the people i looked up to and viewed as cool did as such.

im positive there were fellow artistic geeks who loved graphic novels and listened to Chutes too narrow, and Lift Your Skinny Hands like Antennaes, but where the hell were they?
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,106
    Because when your in high school you do whatever you can to fit in because your too immature/ self conscious to do anything else. Part of that means listening to shit music. If you didn't, you were a nerd. Me, I was somewhere in the middle.
    Definitely agree with this. Peer pressures to conform to the mainstream will always cause kids to endure what is popular at the moment, even if they don't absolutely love it.

Also, I imagine that there are a lot of people who simply want to listen to something that they can nod their head to and sing along. Mainstream music definitely provides this. And they don't have to go searching for other bands/styles, which is something that a casual music fan isn't likely to do.
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
    AzWicker wrote:

Celtic Frost

YES!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI74tyUefY4

Although hearing this now makes me want to ram a meat thermometer in my ear. :D
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Heisenberg wrote:
    AzWicker wrote:

Celtic Frost

YES!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI74tyUefY4

Although hearing this now makes me want to ram a meat thermometer in my ear. :D
    Your handle and avatar fucking owns.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    My son is 15 and his favorite band is Led Zeppelin.
    #FHP
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Horos wrote:

He has great taste.
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    DewieCox wrote:
    Horos wrote:

He has great taste.
    I'm very proud. Want to put it on a bumper sticker or something. :lol:
    #FHP