Options

Boston 8-2: The great debate

tasty_avocadotasty_avocado Posts: 17
edited August 2008 in The Porch
My buddy and I were driving through the twister from Connecticut up to Boston for Saturday night's show. The ride was turning out to be much longer than anticipated so we had a smoke and began a debate. After listening to the last album one day on the way to work, I proclaimed that it was the second best album that PJ put out. There is too much to say about the album for me and I have to get ready to see Ed at the Palace tonight. My friend says "you are out of your mind, five against one is the second best album of all time PERIOD. now watch the f'ing road". Obviously, this is all subjective and there really is no answer to this arguement. What I want to know is how the members of this forum feel? I would love to defer this to my ten club bretheren!

Also, special thanks to Ed for 8/2 show in Boston. I wasn't sure what to expect but you never disappoint. Tonight, its gets done in NYC (my home) and I can't wait.

I'll be at coogans tonight, arguing with my buddy about the above... I mean come on Big Wave, Army Reserve..... it goes on and on and on.....
if i lose my membership number one more time because of a spam blocker, i might lose my mind.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    VS, Ten and then Vitalogy for me.
    model role model
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    1. Yield
    2. Everything else
  • Options
    My buddy and I were driving through the twister from Connecticut up to Boston for Saturday night's show. The ride was turning out to be much longer than anticipated so we had a smoke and began a debate. After listening to the last album one day on the way to work, I proclaimed that it was the second best album that PJ put out. There is too much to say about the album for me and I have to get ready to see Ed at the Palace tonight. My friend says "you are out of your mind, five against one is the second best album of all time PERIOD. now watch the f'ing road". Obviously, this is all subjective and there really is no answer to this arguement. What I want to know is how the members of this forum feel? I would love to defer this to my ten club bretheren!

Also, special thanks to Ed for 8/2 show in Boston. I wasn't sure what to expect but you never disappoint. Tonight, its gets done in NYC (my home) and I can't wait.

I'll be at coogans tonight, arguing with my buddy about the above... I mean come on Big Wave, Army Reserve..... it goes on and on and on.....

if you do a search you will find this subject has been argued to DEATH!! like you said, very subjective.

me & a very small percentage think Binaural is one of their best albums while others can't stand it (fools!!) mostly you will hear either No Code or Yield is the best album and i find it hard to argue with anyone because i love them ALL!!!

welcome to the board by the way.
    I was at the 2 Boston shows,wish i was fortunate as you to be going to the NY shows.but real life beckons once again :(

drink one (smoke one too) for me and tell Ed, Erik from Boston says "HI" :D
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,278
    My friend says "you are out of your mind. now watch the f'ing road". Obviously, this is all subjective and there really is no answer to this arguement. What I want to know is how the members of this forum feel? on
    I agree with your friend, you should watch the road.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,649
    Poncier wrote:
    I agree with your friend, you should watch the road.

Jeez one of these days I will find something to disagree with you on - this is not that day.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    _outlaw wrote:
    1. Yield
    2. Everything else

Agreed......
    It's funny when things change so much
    It's all state of mind

Don't sweat the small stuff and it's all small stuff

You think you hate it now, wait till you drive it...

Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.
  • Options
    IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    For me it works like this... something happens in my life that makes me put on a particular Pearl Jam album. I then realize that albums is my favorite Pearl Jam album...and I go through a 'season' of listening to it pretty frequently. Then I start moving away from it... listening to it less exclusively, and to other things. Then something else comes up in my life to make me gravitate to another Pearl Jam album. I then realize THAT album is Pearl Jam's best album... and so the last one I was into is their second best. This cycle then continues ...
  • Options
    I always have cycles and depending on the events and moods in my life (like a previous poster said) my favorite album will change. However, putting Vs up against the newest one I have to give the edge to VS.
    5/24/06 - Boston
    5/25/06 - Boston
    6/28/08 - Mansfield
    6/30/08 - Mansfield
    8/2/08 - Eddie in Boston (FRONT ROW!)
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,569
    VS, Ten and then Vitalogy for me.

Those albums sums up what pj is all about to me. VS is my favourite as I believe it contains all the elements that makes pearl jam the best band in the world. Here we find their hardest moments (go and blood) to their slowest (indifference) and funkiest (rats and wma)... It has it all!! All members are on the top of their game and Brendan O'Brian nails the sound and production! Do I need to say more???

:)
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    PJMEMamaPJMEMama Posts: 99
    IDgotI wrote:
    For me it works like this... something happens in my life that makes me put on a particular Pearl Jam album. I then realize that albums is my favorite Pearl Jam album...and I go through a 'season' of listening to it pretty frequently. Then I start moving away from it... listening to it less exclusively, and to other things. Then something else comes up in my life to make me gravitate to another Pearl Jam album. I then realize THAT album is Pearl Jam's best album... and so the last one I was into is their second best. This cycle then continues ...

I do the same...and though it is a tough call, I would say
    1. the avocado
    2. yield
    3. no code
    4. binaural and all the rest.
  • Options
    Niko80 wrote:
    Those albums sums up what pj is all about to me. VS is my favourite as I believe it contains all the elements that makes pearl jam the best band in the world. Here we find their hardest moments (go and blood) to their slowest (indifference) and funkiest (rats and wma)... It has it all!! All members are on the top of their game and Brendan O'Brian nails the sound and production! Do I need to say more???

:)

Can't argue with that, that was pretty much his case too. In the end it's like arguing which is better, chocolate or ice cream... although everyone knows it's ice cream.
    if i lose my membership number one more time because of a spam blocker, i might lose my mind.
  • Options
    Like others have said before, it depends on my mood and state of mind.
    Here’s a question you might need to ask
    What’s self destruction and how can we last?

"I cannot stop the thought of running in the dark.
    Coming up a which way sign. All good truants must decide."

McCain, America's scariest grandpa!
  • Options
    DiRtYyELLoWoCeAnDiRtYyELLoWoCeAn Medford, Ma Posts: 1,605
    Up until a short time ago I always thought Vs was their best effort, now I feel thast goes to Binaural so I would say Binaural then Vs!
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• Options
    lowenanlowenan Posts: 79
    My favorite album of all time is No Code.

Even if I'd heard Ten for a while, it took until VS was released to really fall for the band. I then fell in love with both albums. Well before Vitalogy came out everyone knew that Pearl Jam had become my favorite band. By this time I was also into the Seattle scene, and especially Alice In Chains and Soundgarden.

No Code came as a shock. For my young ears it was very different from what I had expected. At the time I still had mixed feelings about Vitalogy, and frankly I wanted another Ten/VS album. Some of the other bands I've loved have done just that, released a new album that sounded like a slightly different version of their first/last album all over again, just with new names and lyrics. In time that has usually lead me to lose interest in them. For me, Pearl Jam have gone beyond that, and it all started with No Code. I don't care for what I think of as the silly songs on Vitalogy, and the many good songs on that album still feel a lot like Ten/VS to me. But No Code was something completely different. Done with more style than on Yield, more ease than on Binaural (love Binaural), with stronger songs than Riot Act, and much less forgettable than their self titled album. More variety in form and shape than on Ten (although with less youth and freshness), more space and soul than on VS (if that makes sense), and more complete than Vitalogy.

No Code has the feel, the complete listening experience, the artwork and the music of a masterpiece. It's soft where it needs to be, it's all out crazy where it needs to be, it soulful, it's poetic, it's music made art.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,135
    Anders wrote:
    My favorite album of all time is No Code.

Even if I'd heard Ten for a while, it took until VS was released to really fall for the band. I then fell in love with both albums. Well before Vitalogy came out everyone knew that Pearl Jam had become my favorite band. By this time I was also into the Seattle scene, and especially Alice In Chains and Soundgarden.

No Code came as a shock. For my young ears it was very different from what I had expected. At the time I still had mixed feelings about Vitalogy, and frankly I wanted another Ten/VS album. Some of the other bands I've loved have done just that, released a new album that sounded like a slightly different version of their first/last album all over again, just with new names and lyrics. In time that has usually lead me to lose interest in them. For me, Pearl Jam have gone beyond that, and it all started with No Code. I don't care for what I think of as the silly songs on Vitalogy, and the many good songs on that album still feel a lot like Ten/VS to me. But No Code was something completely different. Done with more style than on Yield, more ease than on Binaural (love Binaural), with stronger songs than Riot Act, and much less forgettable than their self titled album. More variety in form and shape than on Ten (although with less youth and freshness), more space and soul than on VS (if that makes sense), and more complete than Vitalogy.

No Code has the feel, the complete listening experience, the artwork and the music of a masterpiece. It's soft where it needs to be, it's all out crazy where it needs to be, it soulful, it's poetic, it's music made art.

Agree...
    1) No Code
    2) Vs.
    3) Ten
    4) Pearl Jam (Avocado)
    5) Vitalogy
    6) Yield
    7) Riot Act
    8) Binaural

That's today's list anyhow ;)...No Code always #1, Riot Act and Binaural always battling for last place...Vs usually #2...#3-6 up for grabs any day!
    hippiemom = goodness