Options

Girlfriend Help Required

Comatose11Comatose11 Posts: 77
edited August 2008 in The Porch
I could use a hand if anyone has some spare wisdom.

My girlfriend of 2ish years is a big fan of EV's solo work, but not such a big fan of PJ's work (I know, doesn't make sense, does it?)

I've tried to convince her that there is so much more to PJ than just Ed, but she's not taking the bait. I think what I need is a compilation of tunes that will gradually introduced her to the wonderful world of PJ without stuffing it down her throat.

That's (hopefully) where you come in!

What songs do you think I should include in said complilation?

A bit about her taste in music:

- She is a rabid Billy Idol fan, has seen him twice in her short life, even drug me to a show (not bad)
- I took her to Eric Clapton last year, she was enthralled the whole show, still talks about it as one of her favorite concerts
- She normally listens to lounge-core type of music like Jack Johnson
- She doesn't seem to have a defined "taste" in music, she just kind of goes with the flow

Please help add another fan to outr ranks!!

Thanks!
I'll end up alone like I began...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,010
    Give her a copy of No Code

and/or ...

Lukin/ Not For You

Edit: or even better, take her to a PJ show- a live PJ show turned my now wife from a average PJ fan to an almost crazed fan like myself :)
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Never really "got" Pearl Jam until I saw them live. Take her to a show where she may like the opening act.
    Hold On
  • Options
    Never really "got" Pearl Jam until I saw them live. Take her to a show where she may like the opening act.

Oh, don't worry about that, I'll drag her kicking and screaming if I have to. But thanks for the good idea.
  • Options
    the live show is definately the way to go, although i would suggest having her listen to Benaroya Hall, it seems to be more of her speed and its a kick ass recording!
    Small my table, seats just 3, its not crowded, its just lucky me
  • Options
    ummmm, since she likes more laid back music maybe:

around the bend
    light years
    indifference
    nothing as it seems
    come back
    black
    thin air
    off he goes
    low light
    i'm open
    thumbing my way
    sleight of hand
    soon forget
    nothingman
    off he goes
    arc
    release
    gone
    parting ways
    all those yesterdays

they are just some i can think of at the moment.
    “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.”
    — Lao Tzu
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    EASY ANSWER>.....

Use this setlist and tell her that it is Eddies rare first solo EP album....you gotta let her listen to it for about two months and fall in love with it, then break it to her that it is pearl jam.......she shouldnt know any of these songs, and if she possibly could, scratch them from the list...

Thumbing My Way
    Sometimes
    Man of The Hour
    Off He Goes
    Parting Ways
    All those Yesterdays
    Wishlist
    Soon Forget
    Fatal
    then a few semi-rockin ones
    Undone, Sad etc...
    then finish it off with Yellow Ledbetter and tell her it is Eddie's first solo song that the band ever picked up.....

You will get her in tune
  • Options
    falconfalcon Posts: 163
    You must give her an album, no mixes or "best of's". Albums are meant to be played start to finish, and give a great feel of the band at a particular time and period.
    The first album I played for my gf (now wife) was Yield. She loved "Faithfull" and "Wishlist" right away. After a couple plays, she also fell in love with "MFC" and "In Hiding".

I suggest Yield, then Vs. Save No Code for later. It's their best, but it's also an acquired taste.
    MANSFIELD 7/3/03, 7/11/03
    BOSTON 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    HARTFORD 5/13/06
    BOSTON 5/24/06
    MANSFIELD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    EV BOSTON 8/1/08, 8/2/08
    CHICAGO 8/24/09
    HARTFORD 5/15/10
    BOSTON 5/17/10
    EV PROV 6/15/11
    WORCESTER 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HARTFORD 10/25/13
  • Options
    My wife never listened to them before she met me. I introduced the albums to her in order. First I gave her Ten then about a month later Vs, and so on.

She is now a fan. Not as obsessive as me, but she is now willing to travel with me to shows and has really come to love them.
  • Options
    Give her a copy of night 2 of the 2001 Bridge School Benefit.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • Options
    G ForceG Force Posts: 1,392
    Comatose11 wrote:

My girlfriend of 2ish years is a big fan of EV's solo work, but not such a big fan of PJ's work (I know, doesn't make sense, does it?)

I've tried to convince her that there is so much more to PJ than just Ed, but she's not taking the bait. I think what I need is a compilation of tunes that will gradually introduced her to the wonderful world of PJ without stuffing it down her throat.

- She is a rabid Billy Idol fan, has seen him twice in her short life, even drug me to a show (not bad)
    - I took her to Eric Clapton last year, she was enthralled the whole show, still talks about it as one of her favorite concerts
    - She doesn't seem to have a defined "taste" in music, she just kind of goes with the flow

Thanks!

I think I can help you... Here's what I'm gonna need:

1. A picture or 10 of your girlfriend in a bikini. Preferably something SMALL. I'll need this to determine what kind of tracks to start her off with.

2. Your girlfriends phone number so I can call her and inviter her to dinner so we can talk and I can walk her through what the jam is all about.

3. Your girlfriends favorite wine.

4. Your girlfriends home address so I can swoop her up in my vette.

That ought to do it. I think once I hit her up with some Pearl Jam she'll come around.

***You can just PM me this info so no creeps get ahold of it. ***
  • Options
    Oh jeez-
    Leave her at home when the band tours- save us all from the bored g/f who is annoyed at the rest of us for screaming and singing at the top of our lungs.

We will welcome her with open arms when Ed tours on his own- (and not tell her that her b/f dances and jumps with PJ girls when she's not around!)

PROBLEM SOLVED!
    Comatose11 wrote:

Thanks!
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • Options
    How about just letting her enjoy her own tastes instead of feeling the need to have her conform to yours?
  • Options
    How about just letting her enjoy her own tastes instead of feeling the need to have her conform to yours?

Because her own tastes are wrong!!

LOL
  • Options
    TipJammer wrote:
    I think I can help you... Here's what I'm gonna need:

1. A picture or 10 of your girlfriend in a bikini. Preferably something SMALL. I'll need this to determine what kind of tracks to start her off with.

2. Your girlfriends phone number so I can call her and inviter her to dinner so we can talk and I can walk her through what the jam is all about.

3. Your girlfriends favorite wine.

4. Your girlfriends home address so I can swoop her up in my vette.

That ought to do it. I think once I hit her up with some Pearl Jam she'll come around.

***You can just PM me this info so no creeps get ahold of it. ***

You were doing good until the "vette" She's not 40............
  • Options
    frenchsfrenchs Posts: 34
    So given the Jack Johnson and Clapton influences, some of these might hit with her.

Soon Forget
    I Am Mine
    Lowlight
    Man of the Hour
    Arc
    All or None
    Parachutes
    Inside Job
    Drifting
    Baba O'Riley

I know ed has done a couple performances with Jack Johnson before, and if she's into that music, she might be into Ben Harper as well (so grab his cover of Immortality too)

Also, try Benaroya Hall or a Bridge School Benefit. She might like the acoustic thing.
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the input gang!

Keep it coming!