Options

why no Basecamp bootlegs anymore? 06 were money

delve1delve1 Posts: 9
edited July 2008 in The Porch
what's the deal, that system was amazing they had, new ones don't even compare in my view.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    delve1 wrote:
    what's the deal, that system was amazing they had, new ones don't even compare in my view.
    You said it, my friend. They had a system that worked near flawlessly, and they abandoned it for this nightmare???
  • Options
    BoomerBoomer Posts: 50
    You said it, my friend. They had a system that worked near flawlessly, and they abandoned it for this nightmare???

it's the 10c way!
    Canada, says Ament, holds a special place in the band's heart because of its international policies and its decision to stay out of the war in Iraq.

25 May 2005
    The Canadian Press
  • Options
    I asked the same question here about a week ago and several people answered the same way...

EVERYONE complained about this or that. Either basecamp went running or they were shown the door.
    Gets up, lights a cigarette he's grown to hate
    Thinking if he can't sleep, how will he ever dream?

But his heart don't seem to roam......
  • Options
    welll it's their sounds guys bretts company? I think it might be a legal thing or could of been cost?
  • Options
    samnationsamnation Los Angeles, CA Posts: 277
    No matter what system you use, there will be issues. Posting non-DRM MP3s is pretty much the simplest thing you can do. But people still manage to have issues. However, the downloads are direct from Pearl Jam this time so it's an inside job, no third-party organization. Just Pearl Jam's DIY stance. Even if it's not perfect, I am glad they make the extra effort and do it themselves.
    Sam
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    maybe they went 0ut of bidness
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,537
    delve1 wrote:

believe it or not, Basecamp bootlegs were no longer cost-effective,...
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    100 Pacer wrote:
    believe it or not, Basecamp bootlegs were no longer cost-effective,...

I'm starting to fear there won't be any bootlegs for much longer ...
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730
    I'm starting to fear there won't be any bootlegs for much longer ...

because people are bitching? they've sold over 3 million bootlegs. they're not going to stop now because people have complaints. hell, most of these people who are complaining bought at least 3 boots anyway. what they will probably do is really note the criticisms and do a better job next time.

and this is coming from a guy who doesn't really mind the 2008 boot quality. I still vividly remember the day I found the Dissident single and almost shit my pants. LIVE PEARL JAM SONGS?!?!?! I couldn't believe it. I'm all for these official bootlegs...even if they don't sound as good as the US leg of the 2000 tour.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    because people are bitching? they've sold over 3 million bootlegs. they're not going to stop now because people have complaints. hell, most of these people who are complaining bought at least 3 boots anyway. what they will probably do is really note the criticisms and do a better job next time.

Because they don't make much money off of them. Because they seem to be a bigger pain in the ass than they're worth. Because they already went a whole tour without them (2007).

I don't think they really *want* to do them anymore. It certainly isn't a business decision. I think they do them as a favor to the fans, so we can have a keepsake of the shows we've attended.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730
    Because they don't make much money off of them. Because they seem to be a bigger pain in the ass than they're worth. Because they already went a whole tour without them (2007).

I don't think they really *want* to do them anymore. It certainly isn't a business decision. I think they do them as a favor to the fans, so we can have a keepsake of the shows we've attended.

how don't they make much money off them? if anything I would think the band would make more from a selling a $14 flac of their website than selling a $16 album in a retail store. I doubt their record company gets royalties from bootleg sales. Maybe Epic did the with the 2000 boots because they were real live albums.

I personally think they totally want to keep doing them and it is a business decision. a keepsake from the we've shows attended? yeah, that sounds really nice, but I doubt that's the intention. maybe it was a couple years ago. but this nickel and dime operation they're running this year (poor mixing/mastering, CDR for physical boots, people buying one show but getting the wrong discs sent to them) show that they know we'll keep buying them even if they suck so they don't have to take it seriously. take JWBusher for example. I've seen him complaining about this years boots in dozens of threads. yet he still bought them and will continue to buy them.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930

Have you seen their accounting books? Do you know how much they make on them? None of us have. How could you or any of us know how much of a pain in the ass it is or isn't?

And finally, what makes you think they don't want to do them anymore? If it was a favor, it would be free. We pay for them so no favors.
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187

If that were the case they wouldn't even sell them.They would just leave it how it always has been. Fans record, fans trade...

Very disappointed with the quality of the new boots.. Specially feel bad for the people who paid good money. Tis why i decided to hold out for the crowd recording which will be much better IMO.
  • Options
    Have you seen their accounting books? Do you know how much they make on them? None of us have. How could you or any of us know how much of a pain in the ass it is or isn't?

And finally, what makes you think they don't want to do them anymore? If it was a favor, it would be free. We pay for them so no favors.

Call it an educated guess. I don't claim to have all the answers. Just a guess.
  • Options
    If that were the case they wouldn't even sell them.They would just leave it how it always has been. Fans record, fans trade...

They still can. What's stopping you?
    Very disappointed with the quality of the new boots.. Specially feel bad for the people who paid good money. Tis why i decided to hold out for the crowd recording which will be much better IMO.

Don't feel bad for me. I think the 'Roo boot sounds fucking awesome. Better than any of the boots I used to pay $50 for back in the day.
  • Options
    Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Toronto-ish Posts: 2,761
    One thing that's always got me scratching my head was the "From the Vault" they released from basecamp of that old Las Vegas show..they said more were to follow but that never happened...

The only thing I love more then a new boot from 10c is a really old one...
  • Options
    obviously an issue, but coming from the recording industry it's not to costly to mix a live show in real time, and have it mastered, the equipment is a little extra cost, but when your making over half million a show, I doubt bootlegs are a pain in the ass, there's professionals that get it done with ease for them. nonetheless basecamp did it the best, I'm just baffled by the change. hopefully some ed vedder's bootlegs for east coast
  • Options
    AmherstJammerAmherstJammer Amherst, Massachusetts Posts: 1,510
    I have no clue why so many people have a problem! Listening to West Palm right now and loving it!!!!!!!! Fantastic audio!!