Options

Sad should have been the lead single off Binaural

2»

Comments

• Options
    Brainof23Brainof23 Posts: 10
    I really enjoy this topic because if there are two things that I recall enjoy they are:

1. Sad
    2. Binaural

I remember before the album came out, back when I would refresh Synergy 1,000 times a day hoping some new information would be put in the rumor pit, they posted a track listing for the album and it included "letter to the dead" and "in the moonlight." Interestingly enough, I just looked through the old rumor pits and found the track listing posted to be exactly as it was released, but I know in 2000 they posted a list with LttD and ITML on it. Anyhow, I remember looking over that track list and being excited for those songs. Then when the album came out they didn’t include them and all of the intrigue from the titles was just put aside to enjoy the album as it was released. I think they put out a great record and its one of my favorites, but I don’t see how you don’t include Fatal and Sad (I wish they would have stuck with Letter to the Dead because that title is sick). I also recall (and maybe this never happened) Jeff (or maybe Mike) saying before the album came out that it was going to have a song on it that was the best they has done (in reference to Sad). I wonder what derailed it. All the excitement and then left off? I know when NAIS was the first single there was talk from Ed about how they wanted to challenge us as fans with that track. It was a challenge. Remember the shock of Grievance being played on Letterman? I don’t know if I maid a point here, sorry about the rambles.

My top 10 songs that originated in the making of Binaural

1. Sad
    2. Light Years
    3. Sleight of Hand (I know I’m weird)
    4. Grievance
    5. Breakerfall
    6. Fatal
    7. Insignificance
    8. Of the Girl
    9. Thin Air
    10. Parting Ways
    let the ocean...
  • Options
    audiodave wrote:
    This is such a tired subject, and to be honest, i'm sick of reading about it.

Some people think Binaural would be better if some songs were left off and others included, and some don't. No one is right, it's all a matter of opinion.

The fact of the matter is that THE BAND decided that the Binaural tracklisting is as it is, so just get over it.

Sheesh, it's a freaking message board pal, people are welcome to debate anything they want. Even topics that Lord AUDIO DAVE deem to be a dead issues.

My two cents, it is a crime that a turd like Evacuation made the cut while Sad was left off. Will go one step further, Soon Forget, while a fun little sing a long is a waste of CD space when Sad could have taken it's place.

Hey it is the bands call in the end but I will even bet they might even have a different opinion about it today.
  • Options
    I'm pretty happy with the Sad/Binaural situation overall. Binaural stands as a brilliant, challenging album (including Evacuation - I'd take Evacuation over Parting Ways) and Sad fits great on Lost Dogs as a birlliant-rock-song-that-could-have-been-a-single, right beside All Night and Down. It's not like anyone's missing out on anything.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 440
    I mean are we gonna split hairs here? I mean am I wrong?

AND, it would have made 'Binaural' a great album.
  • Options
    Brainof23Brainof23 Posts: 10
    I was just thinking how it is interesting that after lost dogs was released and Sad was exposed to all of us, Pearl Jam wasted little time in starting to play it live (Showbox, Boston1, Boston2, then played in Reading) and haven't stopped playing it since. Sad has been played 39 times already and that has to be way more than all of the songs that were on Binaural have been played since that point. Sad has been played more than Evacuiation, Thin Air, Of the Girl, Rival, Sleight of Hand, and Parting Ways ever have. Interesting.
    let the ocean...
  • Options
    LedbetterdaysLedbetterdays Round Rock, Texas Posts: 555
    The bigger issue it brings up is...what if we would have never heard Sad? How many other great songs are buried on that lost dogs shelf...If Anything In Between is finished and mixed somewhere bring it!
    Touring Fan since 1996
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730
    IN YOUR OPINION Sad should've been the lead single but it wasn't. I personally think Sad would've been out of place and it was a wise choice to leave it off but that's MY OPINION like Dave's is his...

Hang on... You didn't know?! :D Well, Yes indeed the band did pick the track listing for Binaural! I don't know where you get your information from but (don't quote me on this) you may very well be wrong about the Oprah thing... :rolleyes:

You're not the only one who can be a condescending twat.

Audiodave said "This is such a tired subject, and to be honest, I'm sick of reading about it." well then he shouldn't read it when he sees the thread title if you ask me.

and if you're going to try to counter something sarcastic (like my Oprah comment), you should say something sarcastic in response rather that saying "you may be wrong about the Oprah thing" and then putting the little eyes-rolling smiley face. You're wittiness needs improvement but you're well on your way to being a condescending twat.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com