Options

Pearl Jam... so polite... so green

2»

Comments

• Options
    PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102
    For a WEEK. You think they're not all very wealthy men? I guess they should give all of their money away. I'd say the luxuries they allow themselves offset nicely with the lack of privacy they're afforded by the likes of us.

Sheesh. I hope they had a blast. I find it very nice and encouraging that they would want to spend some time together after a tour.

I think they are trying to spend it all b/f Obama taxes the shit out of them.
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • Options
    PJBuckeye wrote:
    I think they are trying to spend it all b/f Obama taxes the shit out of them.
    Obama can;t win. He's not white. I think it's wrong but it's the reality
    "So forget the other boys because my love is real.
    Come off your battlefield."
  • Options
    Eating baby sheep on a yacht, but driving up in a Prius? Sounds suspicious to me.

The Prius is definitely the worst of the three.
  • Options
    Obama can;t win. He's not white. I think it's wrong but it's the reality

A sad truth that a man of color can't win. You are probably right. Blue collar folks in OH, MI, and PA won't vote for him. They will look on their ballot, look at the name, and vote for McCain.

I don't like Obama. Nothing to do with race. He's a Chicago politician. There's nothing different about him. No change. He's definitely more corrupt. Nobody gains that much power in the Chicago political machine without being very dirty.
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    That's where I live! The Gulf Islands!! Now they know how beautiful this area is! Yay!! We always have big yachts coming into the Saanich Inlet (Kevin Costner, John Travolta, Kurt Russell & Goldie Hawn, to name a few)!

Now if I ever meet Ed, we'll have something to talk about! Cool!!!
    IM JEALOUS :(

just came home monday night after a quick visit to mount washington (had to show hitch-hiker part of that beautiful island even if it was one day only!)

i love love love love love going on the ferry!!!
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    PJBuckeye wrote:
    A sad truth that a man of color can't win. You are probably right. Blue collar folks in OH, MI, and PA won't vote for him. They will look on their ballot, look at the name, and vote for McCain.

I don't like Obama. Nothing to do with race. He's a Chicago politician. There's nothing different about him. No change. He's definitely more corrupt. Nobody gains that much power in the Chicago political machine without being very dirty.

It's true, the American public REALLY dropped the ball in 2000 when Georgie was allowed to tell everyone he won. Gore would have been the change America and the world needed, but the system wouldn't allow it. If Gore won 9/11/01's attacks wouldn;t have happened
  • Options
    If Gore won 9/11/01's attacks wouldn;t have happened

I hope you are kidding
  • Options
    PJBuckeye wrote:
    I hope you are kidding
    No i'm not. You really think your government didn't know that the son of the friend of the president was planning to fly planes into the trade centre towers? You've got to be naive to believe that. Bush set it up to help secure points in the polls, find a way to rejuvenate the American economy( the same way all republicans do: WAR) and take the focus off the fact he's unqualified, irresponsible and dangerously ignorant. It's a smoke and mirrors trick. And everyone fell for it
  • Options
    Ok
  • Options
    Chris1401Chris1401 Posts: 354
    krymsin wrote:

But i fell in love with this band in '92 at the age of 16 because of what they stood for and how they endorsed these "real" ways of life that, while i inherently believed in them, i was not seeing as important to anyone else emerging onto the music scene. In essence, they helped validate my indignation over the evils of corporate America (among other issues).

Yet in a way, learning how they're now vacationing (which everyone, especially them, deserves, by the way) in the same places as Kevin Costner, John Travolta and Kurt Russell feels ... funny. I mean, doesn't it? If you really think about it?

But it feels weird, to me (and only me, apparently) that a band that was never about the clothes and the cars and the chicks are now taking $55,000 rides on yachts.

We all grow up, i suppose, and it appears that i'm just realizing how much the band that refused to play in to the hype machine but fought like hell for us on Capitol Hill has changed.

I've quoted your most ridiculous rants for a purpose, however I am at a loss of word to adequately respond to them all.

We all (well most) have jobs and those jobs afford many of us some great luxuries, some greater than others, some nicer than others.

If they use their position to promote social responsibility and are active politically, right there they are different than 95 percent of the bands out there.

After 18 or how many years they've been together they decide to jump on a boat together as a band and take a little break and enjoy the scenery together....that is something special right there...no egos, them seem to be truly friends who enjoy working and playing together...

Of course people change, but the core of what this band stands for and their evolution has not indicated a change in that core.

And I wouldn't want to be stuck in 1992.....you gotta grow.
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    I wonder how many songs from the upcoming album was written or worked on heavily on the boat.

Sort of a cool thought of them chartering a large boat to work on new material together.
  • Options
    krymsin wrote:

Yet in a way, learning how they're now vacationing (which everyone, especially them, deserves, by the way) in the same places as Kevin Costner, John Travolta and Kurt Russell feels ... funny. I mean, doesn't it? If you really think about it?

SHIT... i vacation there too... :)

in all seriousness, tho, that is one of the weirdest arguments for whatever argument you're trying to make (no offense). i wonder how many famous people vacation in hawaii? and we all know how eddie feels about hawaii!

and i dont think you've ever been to saltspring island, but its probably one of the places furthest from the band's vision of your country's "corporate america". unless you count pot smoking hand craft weaving sunday afternoon fresh fruit markets on the same level as wal-mart?

i guess all i'm trying to say is, i don't get the argument people try to make of the band selling out because they vacation in the same place as other famous people or rich people.

on a side note about Kurt Russel, his son used to play hockey for the local Richmond team (Steveston) and him and Goldie had/have a house in the area. No surprise he'll choose to vacation in BC.
  • Options
    krymsinkrymsin Posts: 75
    Chris1401 wrote:
    I've quoted your most ridiculous rants for a purpose, however I am at a loss of word to adequately respond to them all.

We all (well most) have jobs and those jobs afford many of us some great luxuries, some greater than others, some nicer than others.

If they use their position to promote social responsibility and are active politically, right there they are different than 95 percent of the bands out there.

After 18 or how many years they've been together they decide to jump on a boat together as a band and take a little break and enjoy the scenery together....that is something special right there...no egos, them seem to be truly friends who enjoy working and playing together...

Of course people change, but the core of what this band stands for and their evolution has not indicated a change in that core.

And I wouldn't want to be stuck in 1992.....you gotta grow.

Mea culpa ...

Chris, you may have been "at a loss" to respond to my dumb ass, i thought you did pretty well.

With more than 24 hours to consider my initial reaction and to reflect on the comments of people who, i presume, love this band as much as i do, i've come to the realization that i was complete and total dick.

If any band in the world deserves these kinds of luxuries, it's them. And while $55,000 sounds outrageous to me, to others it may be considered a rational sum to spend on vacation.

And it occurred to me last night that almost any other band of PJ's stature would've turned that yacht into a hookers and blow convention. They didn't.

So, thanks to all of you who took the time to rationally point out the faults in my opinion (although i wasn't slamming the band or calling them sell-outs ... i was just questioning) instead of just saying "fuck you and fuck off."

I don't post here a lot, but i observe what y'all say almost every day. Most of you sound pretty cool and i sincerely didn't mean to offend.

Now, if you'll excuse me, i'm going outside to smoke a cigarette. And i'll be lighting it with my $50 Zippo with the letters "EV" on the side.

"Makes much more sense ..."
    If you hate something,
    Don't you do it, too.
  • Options
    MrsOakleyMrsOakley Posts: 181
    You can afford a $50 lighter AND cigarettes??? What do YOU do for a living??

Back on point, check out the sleeping arrrangments.

http://pacificyellowfin.com/guestsuites.html

When you think about it, if it were just the five of them, look at what they're getting for 11 grand apiece -- not only is the boat a toy, it comes with toys, too!! The meals, the peace, the beauty... And privacy, one week without someone asking them for an autograph, staking out the poop deck, or yelling, HEY EDDIE, PLAY IN MY TREE!!! Cheap at any price.

Wonder who lost the toss and ended up with the berths below deck???
    "Over the dirt, we soar,
    on a search for anything pure."
    Say Goodbye
    jeff aTONEment
    "See, he's got me kinda riled already...jerk..."
    Stoney, about Eddie, with love! (And to his face!)
  • Options

on a side note about Kurt Russel, his son used to play hockey for the local Richmond team (Steveston) and him and Goldie had/have a house in the area. No surprise he'll choose to vacation in BC.

Fuck yeah !! GO Sockeyes !!!!
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    Fuck yeah !! GO Sockeyes !!!!
    hey played for langley too at one point....
    which, by the way, are in a higher division ;)

represent!
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    John Travolta has property just outside Victoria - and the other celebs mentioned in this thread are only the ones I know about. Well, Oprah was here last summer and went up the east coast of the Island and stopped at a few places....Sarah McLaughlin has a place around here too...

Anyway, it's beautiful and gorgeous around here, so that's why people pay the big bucks to visit or buy property...some of us are lucky enough to already live here (or grow up here). David Foster used to have a charity softball game every summer in Victoria and the day after they'd all head out off Saltspring Island and waterski...my friends and I would hang out at the Marina here to try to spot anyone...

And! I just spoke with my parents and asked them if they had seen the Yellow Fin on their boat trip around the Gulf Islands last month and they said YES! At a place called Montague Harbour - I think there's a big resort there now (which spoils how tranquil it used to be there) and what used to be a really good pub (my mom caught a huge salmon there a whole pile of years ago)...But, I guess my parents are those materialistic types who bought a nice boat to float around this area and visit places that are only accessible by boat. (In the early 90's it was probably hard for PJ to be materialistic when they HAD NO MONEY)...

PS...Yacht charters for boats over 100' feet in this area average around $250,000 per week, so they got a bargain...
    be philanthropic
  • Options

PS...Yacht charters for boats over 100' feet in this area average around $250,000 per week, so they got a bargain...
    pearl jam.... so polite... so green... so thrifty
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    yeah...no kidding....

BTW, this is what the area they were cruising in looks like....

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f312/vedderfan10/DSC01380.jpg

"that's me in the corner..."
    be philanthropic