Options

my 2 cents on mansfield

Vedder VitaminsVedder Vitamins Posts: 401
edited June 2008 in The Porch
Went with the wife, and here are some of my thoughts/comments.

1. $20 pay lot (left side past houses) no drinking or tailgating what so ever. not even in cups. Same with venue and $40 paid parking (although some people got lucky) this is my 20th time being there and never heard of such a thing. sucked.

2. tickets were very easy to get. thank you ten club.

3. beer lines - sucked. waiting 1/2 hour just to get a beer. missed first 3 songs.

4. concert portion - awesome show. they rocked, lot of emotion. sounded tight.

5. section 1. lame: was midway up and all people in front of me were motion less. row behind me was rocking it though, but 1 of hundreds.

couldnt smoke due to hard ass threatning to tell staff. this just sucked. i am of the opinion that if you have a problem with smoke or smokers you should not be attending concerts. guy did a good job with people in immediate area but where do you draw the line? if i was 1 row back i could of smoked> didnt see them going after everyone.

if i am dancing with my wife and enjoying ourselves and accidently bump into you dont get all bent and say 'dont push me man" like i am trying to cause trouble. again dont you expect these sorts of things to happen if you go?

Pearl jam is my favorite band, seen them numerous times (in the 20 count now) and other then them playing a great show the atmosphere sucked.

sorry for the rant i am just curious if it is me or if others side with me?
4/6/94, 4/10/94, 4/11/94
9/26/96, 9/28/96, 10/2/96
6/14/98, 9/13/98, 9/15/98, 9/16/98
8/3/00, 8/29/00, 8/30/00
7/2/03, 7/3/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03
9/28/04, 9/29/04
5/24/06, 5/25/06
6/28/08, 6/30/08, 8/1/08, 8/2/08
5/17/10
10/15/13, 10/16/13
8/5/16, 8/7/16
9/4/18, 9/4/18
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533

1. $20 pay lot (left side past houses) no drinking or tailgating what so ever. not even in cups. Same with venue and $40 paid parking (although some people got lucky) this is my 20th time being there and never heard of such a thing. sucked.

3. beer lines - sucked. waiting 1/2 hour just to get a beer. missed first 3 songs.

5. section 1. lame: was midway up and all people in front of me were motion less. row behind me was rocking it though, but 1 of hundreds.

couldnt smoke due to hard ass threatning to tell staff. this just sucked. i am of the opinion that if you have a problem with smoke or smokers you should not be attending concerts. guy did a good job with people in immediate area but where do you draw the line? if i was 1 row back i could of smoked> didnt see them going after everyone.

if i am dancing with my wife and enjoying ourselves and accidently bump into you dont get all bent and say 'dont push me man" like i am trying to cause trouble. again dont you expect these sorts of things to happen if you go?

Pearl jam is my favorite band, seen them numerous times (in the 20 count now) and other then them playing a great show the atmosphere sucked.

its the boston area... did u expect different ?
  • Options
    I_Got_ShitI_Got_Shit Posts: 325
    Seems like a pretty typical experience, similar to mine at least. I didn't start tailgating until around 6:30 and by that time the rent-a-cops had simmered down...I heard they had a full staff of cops there at 3 p.m. And I took one look at the beer line at about 8:30 and said no way.

For whatever reason there are a ton of of people at Mansfield shows who really don't care about Pearl Jam, they just want to get hammered at a concert. Probably went to Tom Petty and "Dave" this summer too. They think going to a show means getting as shitfaced as possible, then sitting down while the band plays its greatest hits. So they'll look at you strange when you dance and enjoy yourself during a song they don't recognize.

I just can't believe someone would even dare to be such a douche that they would threaten to tell the staff if you tried to smoke. How do they sleep at night? My brother and I smoked a joint, it maybe took two songs to finish and we blew the smoke straight up. We didn't bother anyone, and we were glad to share with the two people who asked. I guess you were just unlucky to sit next to an asshole. True, it is illegal...but when you're driving, do you flag down any car that's going over the speed limit and tell them to stop or you'll call the cops? I hope not.
    *Does not include encore of Garden and Leash.
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,647
    NY PJ1 wrote:

I thought the crowd was better then both shows at MSG (I was on the floor of MSG) and was towards the back of Section 3 Saturday night.....

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102
    NY PJ1 wrote:

I have been to Boston, once with no problems. But anytime I run into a bostonian outside of Boston they are a jerk. When the Red Sox play in Chicago, a bunch of assholes. The only people down at Bonnaroo that were obnoxious all had Red Sox hats on. So I am not really surprised that the Boston crowd sucked.
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • Options
    it really must be where you sit then. its amazing how experiences are so different based on that. again. i always have a blast going to the shows with wife and or frineds, but for some reason this time was sub par.

it is the firs time i have ever written poorly about the atmosphere.

not bad a bad ratio i guess, 1 out 20 something
    4/6/94, 4/10/94, 4/11/94
    8/3/00, 8/29/00, 8/30/00
    9/28/04, 9/29/04
    5/24/06, 5/25/06
    5/17/10
    10/15/13, 10/16/13
    8/5/16, 8/7/16
    9/4/18, 9/4/18
  • Options
    spalindspalind Posts: 8
    I was there and will be there tonight as well...My thoughts:

1--I miss the days of gen. admin. shows with no seats...
    2--I can "kind of" understand the cops attitude due to the following--a BUNCH of young (under 20) kids I saw drive in, without tickets, just to hang in the parking lot and get wasted...when the cops came over to them they were forced to drive away and were screaming out their windows "Pearl Jam SUCKS!!" so I think that the venue has become a big draw for teenagers looking to get plastered and thus a necessary (?) crackdown by the po-po
    3--I smoked (cigs not weed) but was not bothered by anyone, staff or otherwise...
    4--Beer is insanely expensive, worse than the Garden or any sports facility where at least the lines are shorter...
    5--early part of show was better than end...seemed to tail off after the first few songs
    6--I love hearing non-Ten, non-Vs. songs in concert...they just are more complex and better live than the more repetitive early stuff of PJ
    7--I felt bad for the Marines...they were getting heckled by little 20 something 100 pound weaklings yelling drunken diatribes and then Eddie pipes up with the "some of our good friends are marines, special forces even...but still--if you sign up for the armed forces you're a moron" speech....I mean come on?? Doesn't that strike anyone like one of those "some of my best friends are black people" statements?? And if no one else ever signed up for the armed forces than all of EV's "friends" might as well sign their obits right now cause there won't be anyone left to guard their back...its an issue more complex than a simple one liner at a concert can address...
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    I thought the crowd was better then both shows at MSG (I was on the floor of MSG) and was towards the back of Section 3 Saturday night.....

Hmmn...you are from Massachusetts.
  • Options
    florence151florence151 Posts: 597
    I wouldn't miss songs to get a beer. But, that is your choice.

Most venues have problems (annoyances) but there were none here that overcame my happiness to be at a PJ concert. (Anywhere is better than Camden!)

I was in a great spot with wonderful dancing fans. Better luck next time.
    Hold On
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    spalind wrote:
    I was there and will be there tonight as well...My thoughts:

7--I felt bad for the Marines...they were getting heckled by little 20 something 100 pound weaklings yelling drunken diatribes and then Eddie pipes up with the "some of our good friends are marines, special forces even...but still--if you sign up for the armed forces you're a moron" speech....I mean come on?? Doesn't that strike anyone like one of those "some of my best friends are black people" statements?? And if no one else ever signed up for the armed forces than all of EV's "friends" might as well sign their obits right now cause there won't be anyone left to guard their back...its an issue more complex than a simple one liner at a concert can address...
    Yeah - I thought that at the very least Eddie could have added something like 'i respect everyone in the military, its not their fault they're in Iraq, please make sure you show them the respect they deserve, etc'

Instead he was almost inviting everyone to heckle them... i thought that was a bit tasteless althoguh I know that wasnt what he actually meant.
  • Options
    LostdoggieLostdoggie Posts: 257
    It all depends on what section you are in. I was in section 5 and I had a great time. The people around were cool and really into it.

The cops and the bullshit that was going on outside was another matter. I hope this is the last show in Mansfield, ever.
    Sometimes life don't leave you alone

8/20/98 - Montreal
    8/29/00, 8/30/00 - Mansfield
    7/02/03, 7/03/03, 7/11/03 - Mansfield
    9/28/04, 9/29/04 - Boston
    5/24/06, 5/25/06 - Boston
    6/28/08, 6/30/08 - Mansfield
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,647

Yep and my favorite crowd of all time might be Nijmegen or even Calgary or perhaps Halifax - so go figure. MSG shows were great - setlists fantasic - just had higher expecations from the crowd from reading all the great things over the years - it was good/great - legendary - not even close.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    spalindspalind Posts: 8
    drsluggo wrote:
    Yeah - I thought that at the very least Eddie could have added something like 'i respect everyone in the military, its not their fault they're in Iraq, please make sure you show them the respect they deserve, etc'

Instead he was almost inviting everyone to heckle them... i thought that was a bit tasteless althoguh I know that wasnt what he actually meant.

Bingo...my thoughts exactly...regardless of the situation the moron of a president has put them in, they are doing their JOB...and doing it so that the rest of us don't have to...like 1/2 the morons at a PJ show need any MORE of a reason to be irritating and obnoxius...I bet the Marines wouldn't get a single heckler if they were allowed to come back at the little dorks with their mommy and daddy bought clothes and cars...
  • Options
    So yeah, Im the guy that complained about the pushing. Its one thing to dance which i enjoy, but its another thing to shove your elbow into someones ribs and call it dancing. Its not a mosh pit dude. If you call that dancing, its no wonder that you werent dancing with your wife! As far as the smoking thing, that guy and his son were big headed pricks.
  • Options
    foucaultfoucault Posts: 13
    I'm surprised, we had no issues at all tailgating in the main arena parking lot...started at maybe 5:30, 6:00, drank beers out of keg cups, police came through a few times, didn't bother anyone. We must have gotten lucky, from all the stories I read here.

Crowd in my section was great...waaaay better than Hartford, where I had to fight douchebag squatters just to get my seat. I don't mind someone moving up, especially with how long it took us to get into the venue, but when the people who paid for that seat show up, fuckin move! Anyway, nothing like that here, everybody around me was considerate and having a great time.

And I second those guys being pricks about the smoking...I don't smoke (weed or cigarettes), but come on, it's an outdoor rock concert, unclench.
  • Options
    lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619

Hard To Imagine, Why Go, Hail Hail,

you missed these 3 songs for BEER??? wow, different strokes I guess.

personally, I dont understand the NEED people have to drink and smoke at a show or ballgame. if you enjoy it, thats fine, but its almost like people in this country feel obligated to do these things at these events and cant enjoy a show or game without it.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • Options
    hey mr p.

those guys did have abnormally big heads didnt they?

again sorry about that. wanted to get immediate area going a little bit. honestly didnt mean to catch your ribs or anything of the sort. guess i am lousy dancer. still feel bad about it
    4/6/94, 4/10/94, 4/11/94
    8/3/00, 8/29/00, 8/30/00
    9/28/04, 9/29/04
    5/24/06, 5/25/06
    5/17/10
    10/15/13, 10/16/13
    8/5/16, 8/7/16
    9/4/18, 9/4/18
  • Options
    InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    my section wasnt great either i was in the middle of section 8 and i was the only one in my row going crazy and there were a few people a few rows in front of my but that was about it...takes away from the expeirence a little
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • Options
    Very large heads indeed! :) The father almost got into a fist fight right after alive with a guy that snuck in his row...
  • Options
    bryanfurybryanfury Posts: 465

if you want to smoke, sit in GA. i dont want to smell like an ashtray becasue you couldn't go 2 hours without a smoke.
    those undecided, needn't have faith to be free
  • Options
    Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,319
    I was lucky enough to attend the last seven shows and am stunned at how much criticism the Mansfield show is getting. It blew me away.

The 10-C pit was insane right from the first note; I don't know how the rest of the pavilion or lawn were, obviously, but whenever I looked back it sure seemed like people were really loud and into it.

For me, it ranked up there with Camden I and MSG 1 and 2. Hard for me to say for sure until I hear the bootlegs.
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    bryanfury wrote:
    if you want to smoke, sit in GA. i dont want to smell like an ashtray becasue you couldn't go 2 hours without a smoke.

he's obviously talking about pot dude
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    pjjay89pjjay89 Posts: 19
    I was lucky enough to attend the last seven shows and am stunned at how much criticism the Mansfield show is getting. It blew me away.

The 10-C pit was insane right from the first note; I don't know how the rest of the pavilion or lawn were, obviously, but whenever I looked back it sure seemed like people were really loud and into it.

For me, it ranked up there with Camden I and MSG 1 and 2. Hard for me to say for sure until I hear the bootlegs.

Agree...I was in row E Section 4 and the atmosphere around me was amazing. Everyone was really into it dancing, singing and rocking out. I had a good view of the entire crowd and during all the clapping parts or fist pumping parts it seemed like virtually everyone was doing it in unison. I've only been to about 10 shows, but the crowd was right up there with the best I've been seen. I was at longer shows but I got just as much enjoyment out of this one..it ranks right up there with Buffalo 03', Barrie 98' and Buffalo 96' for me.
    I heard the guys behind me saying they thought it ranked up there with the best shows they'd seen too.
  • Options
    Worst atmosphere I've had in all 12 previous shows. The crowd overall seemed good, but the ridiculous amounts of drunks who had no desire to see PJ blew me away. Not enough beer stands for everyone.

I saw lots of drunks who couldn't stand. Seat hoppers everywhere. Massively crowded outside of the venue at all times. I was in Section 1 GG. There were some cool people around, but overall it just seemed like one hassle to the next.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • Options
    pjjay89pjjay89 Posts: 19
    I saw lots of drunks who couldn't stand. Seat hoppers everywhere.

Agree about that...had some idiot drunk jump over the seat behind us and almost knock me over...this guy could barely stand and was going on about how he was going to get up front. Luckily he moved on just about as quickly as he got there...also saw another incident like this a few seats down from us.

Luckily it didn't bother us personally too much...but I could definitely see how it could take away from your enjoyment of the show. I don't know what we would have done had the guy not moved on right away...there would have been no easy way to get security where we were and getting into a fight and getting kicked out for a show we flew in to see isn't worth it either.

I usually go to arena shows or GA club shows and have never had this happen before...very annoying. Is this more common at amphitheater shows?
  • Options
    pjjay89 wrote:
    I usually go to arena shows or GA club shows and have never had this happen before...very annoying. Is this more common at amphitheater shows?

I loved the Va Beach Ampitheatre, so I can't say. I've rarely had this problem. Saturday was a weird night. I'd heard so many good things that just turned out to be untrue that night.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • Options
    brainofjbbrainofjb Boston Posts: 381

My friend from NY said the same thing!

no matter where you sat on Saturday night, the crowd was still the best

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZcB7vgwb2t8&watch_response
    There's the moon asking to stay
    Long enough for the clouds to fly me away
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,249
    i am of the opinion that if you have a problem with smoke or smokers you should not be attending concerts.
    Well its a nonsmoking venue (as most are these days), I don't agree with someone narc'ing on you, but to say that people shouldn't attend concerts if they don't like smoke is taking it a tad far.
    If it was in a smokey old jazz club where it was permitted, then your line of thinking makes sense.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    I wouldn't miss songs to get a beer. But, that is your choice.

Most venues have problems (annoyances) but there were none here that overcame my happiness to be at a PJ concert. (Anywhere is better than Camden!)

I was in a great spot with wonderful dancing fans. Better luck next time.

Yeah, At Hartford, I was one of the unfortunate ones in line waiting to get my tickets, missed the first 8 songs and could have really used a beer or five, but decided I wasn't going to miss any more of the show and skipped the beers (and I looove beer)

The people I met in line were from Mass were all really cool and the people next to us during the show (from Mass) were beyond cool. This coming from Yankee/Rangers fan...
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Options
    doujodoujo Posts: 285
    hey, to all the people that don't want smoking or dancing or alittle fun at concerts.....please please stay home next time.

i was rockin out all night, maybe alittle to much, but i would have to say, all the people around me that weren't going that crazy, thank you for allowing me to. i would have been really bummed if someone told me to stop jumping or dancing. so cheers to everyone that didn't mind a drunk dude having one of the best times of his life.
  • Options
    Mind you I DID NOT tell this guy to stop dancing. I told him to stop pushing and elbowing me in the ribs. Dance all you want I do it myself, but dont push and get rude with your neighbor. As for the smoking, I really dont give a fuck, Im a smoker, I paid for my ticket just like the next guy! I'll fucking smoke if I like. Where the fuck are my rights? It's a god damned rock concert not sunday school you bitches.